Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any feedback on Truecaller!
Old 11th May 2014, 09:45   #18122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Many people use it. It basically takes all your contacts and puts it on its servers. Using that it builds a database. Not advisable to install but the number of people using it you don't have much chance of protecting your number from gettin on their database.
Old 11th May 2014, 09:50   #18123
BHPian

Quote:
It is the most blatant rip off of ones privacy. Absolutely hate the app and what it has done. Go to their website and type a number, it shows the name and also location.
It is a mine for data thieves and the worst thing is that the way they work you can pretty much do nothing about it.
Old 11th May 2014, 10:00   #18124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are planning to use it, do that on rooted phone and deny it permission to access the phonebook.
Old 11th May 2014, 10:16   #18125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Many people use it. It basically takes all your contacts and puts it on its servers. Using that it builds a database. Not advisable to install but the number of people using it you don't have much chance of protecting your number from gettin on their database.
You can login to your website and ask for your number to be not listed on their database.
Old 11th May 2014, 13:22   #18126
BANNED

Also, I have deleted it since it was eating up the battery.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:30   #18127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
It is the most blatant rip off of ones privacy. Absolutely hate the app and what it has done. Go to their website and type a number, it shows the name and also location.
It is a mine for data thieves and the worst thing is that the way they work you can pretty much do nothing about it.
Wow! I never heard of Truecaller until my brother informed me yesterday. He is using it and recommending others in the family as well.

So, is it possible for me to get my number out of their database, without being a customer or user of this service?
I have no intentions to use this application. In fact, I believe the lesser the number of apps, the better for me.

On another topic, we picked up an LG Optimus Vu II for my wife. That was the only phone she liked - and mainly due to the 4:3 form factor (her first preference was a square phone -which no one makes now-a-days). So far, she has used it for a month.

We got the phone for a shade less than Rs. 10000 and the specs and performance are both impressive for this money.

The battery life is less than 1 day, if you have your plethora of social apps working in the background and fore-ground with that mighty screen ON for several hours. If you don't use it much it manages to go above one day.

The build quality is not that good - especially the back panel which is very flimsy plastic.

We got a poor quality charger with it which we no longer use. The phone came with earphones which we are yet to try.
With my BB Playbook charger, the phone charges from 20 to 100 in less than 90 minutes.

What you like about the phone is the nice customizations that LG has done to the phone. It is quite similar to the Note 10.1 tablet that my wife is used to (with the eye-detection to keep the screen on if you are in front of the phone, the ability to write notes using your finger or stylus with a dedicated button, the ability to take screenshots and annotate them with your stylus and so on.)

The performance is really good and she has never complained. She is used to the Note 10.1 which is a beast when it comes to performance. Keeping her happy is difficult, and this phone does not let her down.

One weak point of the phone is that the speaker output is low. So, she had to select the "tring tring" ring tone, else the ringtone is not audible in noisy environments.

The camera is pretty good (8 MP).
That was a short review of an imported phone with no warranty, but at really good price.

Last edited by S_U_N : 12th May 2014 at 12:35.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:46   #18128
Senior - BHPian

I guess you can edit your profile on True Caller and even hide it from other people to protect your privacy.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140512_124628.png
Views: 621
Size:  51.3 KB
Old 12th May 2014, 12:56   #18129
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It basically takes all your contacts and puts it on its servers. Using that it builds a database. Not advisable to install but the number of people using it you don't have much chance of protecting your number from gettin on their database.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
It is the most blatant rip off of ones privacy.
From their site: http://www.truecaller.com/support
Quote:
How do you get your data?

We collect our data through our partnerships with different white/yellow pages throughout the world and through crowdsourced information from our Truecaller community.

Please note that phonebook contribution has been and always will be optional. Only phone numbers and names are used and all data is transferred and kept by Truecaller using secure methods. Users on the Android & iPhone platform downloaded from Google Play or App Store are not be able to contribute to this database, but will nevertheless experience the same level of service as if they had.
They have got many many names wrong for me. Also, the name associated with my new number(non-smartphone) is someone else's. I have saved that number with my name on the smartphone (Android) with Truecaller installed, and the name hasn't been updated.

Truecaller installed on my phone required me to login using either FB/G+. I see many posts in my news feed on Facebook saying "X searched for a number using Truecaller."
Old 12th May 2014, 15:50   #18130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I am getting around 1 - 2 days of battery life, with moderate to heavy usage of IM clients, browsing and full day mobile net on.

Do any of those battery saving apps really work? I had tried a few of them on my old Explorer and they really didn't make any difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I am getting nearly a day on my six month old nexus 4. Of course usage profile is a major factor. Here's mine
Wow, that is some good battery averages. I just manage to eke out around 12 hours on moderate usage. I've even tried replacing the battery - no joy.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:11   #18131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
So, is it possible for me to get my number out of their database, without being a customer or user of this service?
http://www.truecaller.com/unlist

Enter your number to unlist. Ask your brother to search for your number after a day or two, just to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I guess you can edit your profile on True Caller and even hide it from other people to protect your privacy.
You don't need to login to unlist from truecaller, use the above link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Truecaller installed on my phone required me to login using either FB/G+. I see many posts in my news feed on Facebook saying "X searched for a number using Truecaller."
Yes, it pulls your FB/G+ info and gets the write permissions to post on your behalf. Every time you search for a number it will post on your wall.
Old 13th May 2014, 13:52   #18132
Lij
BHPian

Moto E launched for Rs 6999 on Flipkart -

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mot...-news-8511.php
Old 13th May 2014, 14:19   #18133
Distinguished - BHPian

Moto E launched on Flipkart at 6999!
http://www.flipkart.com/moto-e/p/itm...5-169bb119caa8
Specs:
Android v4.4 (KitKat) OS
Wi-Fi Enabled
FM Radio
1.2 GHz MSM8x10 Dual Core Processor
Dual Standby SIM (GSM + GSM)
5 MP Primary Camera
4.3-inch Touchscreen
Old 13th May 2014, 15:19   #18134
Senior - BHPian

^^ This looks like a super device at this price. Great pricing by moto / flipkart considering the import price before taxes, etc is itself ~6300 ! (courtesy Zauba.com).

For a light user this phone ticks all boxes and if I have to pick out one missing feature it would be the lack of a flash, but again at this price I'm sure no one will complain.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 13th May 2014 at 15:20.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:25   #18135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Moto E launched on Flipkart at 6999!
http://www.flipkart.com/moto-e/p/itm...5-169bb119caa8
Looks like a very good budget phone. Sad that i missed it by 3 days - was in market for a phone like this and brought Lenovo A526

--Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks