Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 14:13   #22606
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Nexus 6P is a good phone but it is H-U-G-E. It is bigger than the Nexus 6 and comparable to the iphone 6S. Once I picked up both I knew, there was no way I could practically use them as my daily driver.
The 6P is huge, but not as big as the 6. Here's a size comparison. The 6 is an absolute whale. Humongous by global class OEM standards. Only some of those epic Chinese phones which get crazy big can beat it.
Old 5th January 2016, 14:17   #22607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Nexus 6P is a good phone but it is H-U-G-E. It is bigger than the Nexus 6 and comparable to the iphone 6S. Once I picked up both I knew, there was no way I could practically use them as my daily driver. It is super thin and metal, implying it is very easy to drop them (without a cover)
However, if people are okay with the size, I would totally recommend it.
Bigger than the Nexus 6 & comparable to the iPhone 6S? Oh C'mon! Nexus 6 is the biggest Nexus ever made. Please don't tell me you were comparing the 6P to the 6S in terms of size. There's a massive 1inch difference in screen size between the two.

Nexus 6 is bigger than 6P. Here's the spec sheet.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1451983638532.jpg
Old 5th January 2016, 15:07   #22608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The 6P is huge, but not as big as the 6. Here's a size comparison. The 6 is an absolute whale. Humongous by global class OEM standards. Only some of those epic Chinese phones which get crazy big can beat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Bigger than the Nexus 6 & comparable to the iPhone 6S? Oh C'mon! Nexus 6 is the biggest Nexus ever made. Please don't tell me you were comparing the 6P to the 6S in terms of size. There's a massive 1inch difference in screen size between the two.

Nexus 6 is bigger than 6P. Here's the spec sheet.
Attachment 1456898
Comparing 6P to 6S Plus, not 6S

Nexus 6 Vs. 6P : Absolute numbers make 6 look slightly bigger, however it is easier to hold (curved at the back) And N6 had a 6inch display compared to a 5.7 on the 6P.

I will say this again, Nexus 6P 'feels' bigger, tougher and difficult to hold than the Nexus 6. However, all of these(6, 6S Plus, 6P) are bordering on two handed usage almost all the times.

The reason I choose 6P and 6S Plus was that they are literally the flagships of Android and Apple devices. I thought I could handle the size of it comfortably but it took me less that 5 minutes to decide there is no way this size works for me.
Old 5th January 2016, 15:08   #22609
Distinguished - BHPian

Lenovo just launched their K4 note today and specs seem good at that price point (11,999) and better 12,499 with the VR headset!
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/smart...eries/k4-note/
The phone will be available on Amazon.in from 19th Jan, with pre-registrations started just now (3pm onwards). Already pre-booked mine!
Here is the registration link if you are interested: http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=k4note?_e...f_rd_i=desktop

The VR headset seems quite interesting! This phone looks to be a game changer with the price point it has been launched at. I only hope that Lenovo keep their custom UI to a minimum and give more of the stock experience as they do with Motorola!

Last edited by Behemoth : 5th January 2016 at 15:11.
Old 5th January 2016, 16:29   #22610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The VR headset seems quite interesting! This phone looks to be a game changer with the price point it has been launched at. I only hope that Lenovo keep their custom UI to a minimum and give more of the stock experience as they do with Motorola!
Well, it seems like a compelling package on paper, but one has to read between the lines. The phone does look quite stunning for the price and should have above average build quality. Also looking at the K3 Note's screen, one can safely assume a good quality screen on this one too. But then, things start going the Chinese way. I just had a look at it on GSMArena, and that body just begs to have a more mature and less cartoony interface paired to it. The phone comes with a MediaTek MT6753, which they can keep selling by the 'octa-core' tag, but is no match for the Snapdragon 615, and I guess a typical of Chinese phones run-of-the-mill 13MP camera. And then, the fears you expressed in the last sentence - the UI - have come true as well. That phone gets their propreitary and cartoonish 'Vibe UI' which like all typical interfaces from the Chinese- Lenovo(Vibe UI), Huawei(EMUI), Xiaomi(MIUI), Asus (ZenUI), Meizu(FlyMeOS), etc. is an iOS wannabe with stupid gimmicks in the name of 'features'. They're all quite in the same boat essentially, and some even come with clean master and other such apps as standard! (And some people also religiously 'clean' their phone all the time!) Then, no app drawer, taking 'inspiration' from the iPhone, theme engines for the sake of it to merely change accent colours and wallpapers and make matters more garish, and poorly designed (and again iOS inspired) stock apps. MIUI is relatively the best among them in terms of overall execution but that's nothing to write home about either. The Zen UI is also not completely an iOS wannabe, but it has no traces of material design either.
And most of them run MediaTek chipsets, or the manufacturers do not release the source codes. Hence any chance of getting a stable custom ROM is wiped out too. And custom ROM's even if any exist would probably not work with extra proprietary hardware ie fingerprint scanner. The companies just don't release the source for them.

PS: The 'inspiration' is not just in the software department. Look how it (and a lot of its rivals) has a 'Note' in its name, when it has no such purpose. It's clear they're looking to simply cash in on the brand value a certain premium Korean namesake.
Such tricks feel as stupid as what would've been if there was something like a Mahindra Quanto Q7.

Last edited by mukul32 : 5th January 2016 at 16:58.
Old 5th January 2016, 20:59   #22611
BHPian

Guys with Moto X Play, the Marshmallow Updates have started rolling out in India. I checked for updates randomly and viola got the Marshmallow notification. Downloading it now, its around 582 Mb.
Old 5th January 2016, 22:32   #22612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Guys with Moto X Play, the Marshmallow Updates have started rolling out in India. I checked for updates randomly and viola got the Marshmallow notification. Downloading it now, its around 582 Mb.
It came up almost a month back. I have been using it since then. Pretty good set of features. Just to be on safe side, I did a clean factory reset and started all over again.
Old 5th January 2016, 23:11   #22613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I ordered a Moto X Play. Due Thursday.
Arrived Tuesday! Nice.

Quote:
I'm interested to get this in my hand: it has a bigger screen than the m4i, but, from my paper cut-out, the case size is not that much bigger. I guess its fatter. In a curvy sort of way. Hmmm, there should be a smiley for that!
I'm sorry to continue with the schoolboy innuendo here, but it is indeed the sort of curve that it is good to have in the hand, and it doesn't poke very far out of the chest pocket either. But it certainly doesn't sink into it, either, and I may start carrying in my bag.

It turned out that the Airtel (for data) micro SIM had a press out nano SIM, so I only had to get a new SIM for Aircel, which I use for calling and SMS. Bad luck: there was a power cut at the local Aircel Showroom, and I had to go out soon after walking back home. Got one from another showroom, but took the phone out with no other setup done.

First impressions are that I get attached to user interfaces, their layout and functionality, and however good the moto launcher may be, I probably want Apex back. That's just me.

Regrets are that I only had my M4i a few months and I really, really liked it. That's not Moto's fault either!

Quote:
I thought I might as well do this straight away, but just have not been able to. I'm hoping that it is my wifi (there is an Airtel Broadband problem at the moment) and not the phone, but time to download that is looking like... infinite.
Old 6th January 2016, 13:33   #22614
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My android is giving some trouble lately. All the apps (t-bhp,twitter,foodpanda, aliexpress to name a few) which could be saved in SD are getting saved in Phone memory thereby making the phone slow and prompting me of less storage warning. Also the space is fully occupied till the internal phone memory is getting filled up and the phone is then closing all its processes by itself

Now few pointers from my end.
1. Default storage pathway has been chosen as SD from the day1. (SD is only filled by 10%).
2. Android version is 4.4.2 (no pending updates are there)
3. Tried third party app to move the apps from phone to SD but no option of moving is there.
4. Cleared all cache and data individually.
5. Scanned the SD and phone with avast antivirus app and found nothing.

Last edited by adhiraj : 6th January 2016 at 13:34.
Old 6th January 2016, 13:37   #22615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Hi Guys,

My android is giving some trouble lately. All the apps (t-bhp,twitter,foodpanda, aliexpress to name a few) which could be saved in SD are getting saved in Phone memory thereby making the phone slow and prompting me of less storage warning. Also the space is fully occupied till the internal phone memory is getting filled up and the phone is then closing all its processes by itself
Try formatting the SD and then reinsert it into the phone. Don't forget to backup the media. Do check the filesystem too.

Last edited by chinmaybaikar : 6th January 2016 at 13:38.
Old 6th January 2016, 14:21   #22616
BHPian

Hello guys,

On my mom's phone, we are getting a message on the notification drop down menu that System is running low on storage space and some apps / functions may not work properly.

We tried deleting the cache but that does not help much.
Phone is Micromax turbo and android version is 4.2.x IIRC.

The maximum storage occupied is by Contacts which is 442 MB (maybe we were doing something wrong in storing contacts).

We cannot install any apps on it to clean up the files and doing a *#9900# to get the menu to delete logs was also not working. Is there a workaround to delete the logs or some other way to free up memory space?

The phone does not have an SD card but comes with internal storage of 16 GB odd. Interestingly, it shows internal storage as approx 1GB out of which some 50 odd MB is available as free and rest is shown as SD card which has 5 GB odd free.

Any help would be really appreciated.

If rooting needs to be done then please share links to some site which explains it in details since I am a total noob when it comes to smartphones (got myself a Moto X Style recently as my first smartphone, discussed a few pages back) and would need detailed instructions.

would factory reset help and if so, how should we back up the data?
Any inputs on detailed steps to follow for doing a back-up and then factory reset would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
S

Last edited by sukhoi : 6th January 2016 at 14:43. Reason: Updated post
Old 6th January 2016, 14:27   #22617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Hello guys,

On my mom's phone, we are getting a message on the notification drop down menu that System is running low on storage space and some apps / functions may not work properly.

We tried deleting the cache but that does not help much.
Phone is Micromax turbo and android version is 4.2.x IIRC.

The maximum storage occupied is by Contacts which is 442 MB (maybe we were doing something wrong in storing contacts).

We cannot install any apps on it to clean up the files and doing a *#9900# to get the menu to delete logs was also not working. Is there a workaround to delete the logs or some other way to free up memory space?

The phone does not have an SD card but comes with internal storage of 16 GB odd. Interestingly, it shows internal storage as approx 1GB out of which some 50 odd MB is available as free and rest is shown as SD card which has 5 GB odd free.

Any help would be really appreciated.

If rooting needs to be done then please share links to some site which explains it in details since I am a total noob when it comes to smartphones (got myself a Moto X Style recently as my first smartphone, discussed a few pages back) and would need detailed instructions.

would factory reset help and if so, how should we back up the data?

Cheers,
S
Yes factory reset will help as it will delete all the apps and data. Try deleting apps that are hardly used.

Last edited by abhibh : 6th January 2016 at 14:29.
Old 6th January 2016, 14:49   #22618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It came up almost a month back. I have been using it since then. Pretty good set of features. Just to be on safe side, I did a clean factory reset and started all over again.
You must be registered for soak test, they have released it for general public yesterday. I might be wrong
Old 6th January 2016, 15:14   #22619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post

442 MB for contacts?

Try making a backup of the contacts there - extract as a vcf file. That should be a small file. Factory reset the phone after taking backup of all important data - SMSes, Whatsapp messages, Call logs, photos etc. You can use superbackup for backing up call logs and SMS. Should help.
Old 6th January 2016, 15:38   #22620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You must be registered for soak test, they have released it for general public yesterday. I might be wrong
No, I did not register for any test. But some how I got the notification much earlier. No idea how !

Most Viewed