Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 11:00   #24091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Any adverse reviews on the Xiaomi Mi5 from owners here (or know someone who owns one)?
Check out my post no. 23997 in this thread, wherein I have commented on certain specific aspects of the phone. In a nutshell, I have used it for about 10-12 days, and was not at all enamoured by it. Detailed reasons in the above post.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:32   #24092
BHPian

With the happenings at cyanogen, is it safe to buy Zuk Z1? How is this phone otherwise? Looking for a future-proof phone with a v.good camera in the 10-15k range.
Old 28th July 2016, 12:36   #24093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
With the happenings at cyanogen, is it safe to buy Zuk Z1? How is this phone otherwise? Looking for a future-proof phone with a v.good camera in the 10-15k range.
Cyanogen and future proof are like antonyms these days. They broke ties with OnePlus, Micromax Yu and now apparently Lenovo too. Heck, they can't even decide what they want to do. Once they want to "take Android away from Google" then next they lay off people and want to shift focus to apps. Official updates on all their devices are painfully slow, but users switch to custom ROM's anyway, which are readily available on these.
If you want future proof, look no further than Moto. They're not direct 100% supported and secure like Nexii or Android One's, but are very close. The G4+ is a fantastic overall buy. Has absolutely everything but a magnetic sensor. I use one myself and vouch for it.
Old 28th July 2016, 14:38   #24094
BHPian

Motorola wont provide monthly security updates. The main USP of buying a Motorola phone was its bloat free android experience and it provides updates time to time.

http://www.cybershack.com.au/news/mo...-hard-280716-1
Old 28th July 2016, 14:42   #24095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Motorola wont provide monthly security updates.
Well, who else provides them? I believe no other independent manufacturer does it on monthly basis.
Old 28th July 2016, 14:59   #24096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Well, who else provides them? I believe no other independent manufacturer does it on monthly basis.
Only Google Nexus line up provides regular updates. Samsung too provides updates but only for high end or flagship models.
Old 28th July 2016, 15:10   #24097
Senior - BHPian

Been using the Mi Max for a few days and I am amazed at the battery life! Around 1 day and 17 hrs of battery life as per my usual usage with 10 hrs of SOT! (used a Zenfone 2 before this and it used to reach 15% by the end of the day itself). Not a big fan of MIUI but I always use Nova so have already switched to that. The phone really doesn't feel that heavy or hard to use. Good buy!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160728055421_com.miui.securitycenter.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160728055437_com.miui.securitycenter.png  

Old 28th July 2016, 16:07   #24098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I've been a huge fan of the Xperia line. The Z2 I had was rock solid till the screen showed some discoloration. Sony's fix - Replace with Z3. Unfortunately this too has always had issues. Atleast for me. The same discoloration showed up again in this too and in general, it has started to disintegrate itself. the glue around the front glass gave way and loosened it and therefore Proximity sensor issues. In between, the battery has deteriorated massively too. the very reason I took to a Sony started to be its Achilles heels. Latest gremlin - the 3.5 mm jack has now stopped working for good. Did a software repair as was advised by some forums. No luck. the phone is now officially in its way out in less than 18 months of usage. I moved out of a Samsung but I now move back. S7 Edge it is.
That's really bad from Sony. If it was Z2 then it would have been one off case. But same with Z3 is worrysome. For last decade I was happy customer of Sony using their 4 handsets from K700, P1i, Xperia Pro (slider). Last handset Xperia ZR (Z compact 4.6 screen) is still doing duty after 3 years, for last year as standby at home for youtube whatsapp by wife and daughter. Never had problem even after lot of abuse hard drops use in water resort etc, only recently speaker volume gone down by 80% after a very hard drop. Infact I liked its screen more than Z1, Z2. I moved to Note 4 only for stylus one year back and I badly miss waterproofness in rain.
If quality is gone down then bad for Sony. Other sony users should give their feedback please.
I have not used any other brand apart from 1st Nokia of course.
Old 28th July 2016, 16:11   #24099
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a budget android phone for my driver. GPS will be used all the time with occasional calls in between. The basic requirements are
1) should be sturdy and durable.
2) should have dual sim.
3) minimum screen size should be 4.5"
Please help me with the cheap & best available options.
Old 28th July 2016, 16:17   #24100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a budget android phone for my driver. GPS will be used all the time with occasional calls in between. The basic requirements are
1) should be sturdy and durable.
2) should have dual sim.
3) minimum screen size should be 4.5"
Please help me with the cheap & best available options.
The redmi 2 prime is your best bet. Been using it since last 8 months. Great phone and works well while navigation. Can be had for 6-7k. Has decent after sales support as well.
Old 28th July 2016, 16:44   #24101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Been using the Mi Max for a few days and I am amazed at the battery life! Around 1 day and 17 hrs of battery life as per my usual usage with 10 hrs of SOT! (used a Zenfone 2 before this and it used to reach 15% by the end of the day itself). Not a big fan of MIUI but I always use Nova so have already switched to that. The phone really doesn't feel that heavy or hard to use. Good buy!
Thats amazing battery life!! Hows the camera, decent enough?
Old 28th July 2016, 17:07   #24102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
That's really bad from Sony. .
Well, there are still many happy users. It's just Sayonara for me. More so, the new lineup doesn't seem to take forward the legacy of the older Zx's.

I get my s7 Edge next monday.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:50   #24103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats amazing battery life!! Hows the camera, decent enough?
Yes, I feel it is better than the one on my Zenfone 2. It doesn't come with a fast charger though - I am using the Aukey charger I had bought for the Zenfone.
Old 28th July 2016, 18:34   #24104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Quote:
Only Google Nexus line up provides regular updates. Samsung too provides updates but only for high end or flagship models.
IIRC, Mi provides monthly updates to MIUI users (if you are on developer rom, you get more frequent updates).

--Anoop
Old 28th July 2016, 18:37   #24105
BHPian

@Anoop - thats true but thats more related to MIUI and not related to Android. Still majority of the MI devices are in lollipop.

Most Viewed