Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 16:44   #27601
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

since last couple of weeks, I have been facing issue with 'GPS lock' with my Mi A1. when i start the navigation, it takes good amount of time before it starts the 'actual navigation' and even during driving, it keeps losing GPS connection with 'searching for GPS' text displayed on the maps. I have searched the net and found many people facing these kind of issues (not necesarily Mi A1), but none of the solution mentioned there seems to have solved the issue.
earlier i was using OPO and after using it for more than a year, I started facing this issue and finally had to replace it with a new phone as I could not resolve that issue in OPO. And I don't want to do the same (replace the phone) with the existing mobile as it is relatively new (8 months old).
Btw, I have already tried basic stuff like, wipe cache, factory reset and those things. I also installed 'GPS Status' app to know whether the issue is with google maps app or phone. Even this GPS Status app could not get the GPS locked.
Seeking help from experts here.
Old 13th August 2018, 16:57   #27602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
since last couple of weeks, I have been facing issue with 'GPS lock' with my Mi A1. when i start the navigation, it takes good amount of time before it starts the 'actual navigation' and even during driving, it keeps losing GPS connection with 'searching for GPS' text displayed on the maps.
You probably have diabled A-GPS unknowingly. What does your Settings > Location > Mode say? It needs to be in "High Accuracy" mode.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:06   #27603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You probably have diabled A-GPS unknowingly. What does your Settings > Location > Mode say? It needs to be in "High Accuracy" mode.
It is set to 'High Accuracy'. I have gone through all the 'possible' settings and I could not find any clue on why this is happening.
Old 13th August 2018, 18:18   #27604
BHPian

Quote:
It is set to 'High Accuracy'. I have gone through all the 'possible' settings and I could not find any clue on why this is happening.
Try this app and reset AGPS state and download it. This should get you faster gps fix.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2
Old 13th August 2018, 21:07   #27605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could not find any clue on why this is happening.
  1. Try using the phone without a cover.
  2. Run a hardware test and find out if GPS is working properly.

Hardware Test: Works on all Xiaomi devices running MIUI. Not sure of the pure android Mi1.

Last edited by dailydriver : 13th August 2018 at 21:24.
Old 13th August 2018, 23:03   #27606
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not tried any navigation with my new A1 yet: I hope it will be ok!

Physically, I probably prefer the Oppo A83, but as mentioned before, I just could not get on with that phone. So far, the Mi A1 is pleasing me. This is the first device that I've used finger-print unlock on, and that works perfectly. Just the fact that widgets do not hang and refuse to tell the correct time beats the Oppo hands down! (And yes, I did everything I could try with the battery settings).

I have rooted it (byebye warranty I suppose) and that was quick and easy. I was lucky to see the trick which enables one to unlock and root without wiping the data and setup so far
Old 14th August 2018, 08:58   #27607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have not tried any navigation with my new A1 yet: I hope it will be ok!
I have been using my A1 since last december, and I am quite happy with its performance. Best part of this phone is regular updates (both OS and security patches). This is the first issue that I have faced with A1. Recently I got 8.1 update and I cannot associate this current issue to that update as GPS was working fine even after the update for couple of weeks.
I tracked GPS status using a 3rd party app (GPS Status) and I see that it takes more than 5 minutes to get the co-ordinates when i start it. And then, during the drive, it kept losing the co-ordinates every now and then. From the symptoms, it looks like there is no issue with GPS chip as such, but for some reason, it is not able to find the co-ordinates in the beginning and also keep losing it.
Everything was working fine and this issue started all of a sudden :(

Last edited by manson : 14th August 2018 at 14:53. Reason: Typos.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:10   #27608
BHPian

Quote:
I tracked GPS status using a 3rd party app (GPS Status) and I see that it takes more than 5mins to get the co-ordinates when i start it. And then, during the drive, it kept losing the co-ordinates every now and then.
Please try using GPS Test app to clear and update A-GPS data (triple dot menu on top right -> A-GPS -> Clear and update).
Old 14th August 2018, 11:12   #27609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Please try using GPS Test app to clear and update A-GPS data (triple dot menu on top right -> A-GPS -> Clear and update).
Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed the app and cleared/updated A-GPS data. I will update here whether this resolved the issue or not, after driving back home in the evening.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:27   #27610
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
128 GB S9
3 weeks of using it and I'll say that it's the best Android phone out there in terms of looks & build quality. Feels really premium.

But I don't think it's 3 years of development - related thread (Are smartphones peaking in terms of tech & speed?).

- Speed is the same as my S6 after the reformat.

- Add ons I'm enjoying:
Samsung Pay
Ability to have 2 WhatsApp accounts on one phone (Samsung Dual Messenger)

- Better battery life. By 6ish PM, the S6 used to be at 40%. This one still has a lot of juice left:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180813172025_samsung-experience-home-1.jpg
Old 14th August 2018, 12:31   #27611
Team-BHP Support

And Samsung has announced the S10 and its plus variant, albeit with 3 cameras in the rear. The flagship would be specced closer to the Note 9 I believe.

Been hearing One Plus coming up with its *T* variant for the 6.
Old 14th August 2018, 13:10   #27612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed the app and cleared/updated A-GPS data. I will update here whether this resolved the issue or not, after driving back home in the evening.
Nice to read your generally positive comments. Hope the GPS thing is worked out, as I use it regularly.

I think that rooting the A1 with Magisk makes updates possible, but not as straightforward as a non-rooted phone. Well, those who want zero techie work won't root. The phone is very well covered on XDA: when the time comes, I'll study the methods posted there.

Magisk is a new thing for me to learn about. Seems there is more to it than just rooting.
Old 14th August 2018, 14:29   #27613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And Samsung has announced the S10 and its plus variant, albeit with 3 cameras in the rear. The flagship would be specced closer to the Note 9 I believe.

Been hearing One Plus coming up with its *T* variant for the 6.
I believe its just a rumour mill going on after finding few 'leaks' from Samsung regarding S9. For me these are more like planned leaks to keep the public interested, especially now that the Note 9 is receiving luke warm reception, and few financial experts calling the S9 a 'failure' (for Samsung and for an S series that is). And as per the rumour mill S10 will not be the first phone with 5G from Samsung, but reportedly will land with under display fingerprint sensor.

As per these leaks, there will be 3 variants of S10, ala upcoming iPhones, with S10 and S10 Plus having 3 rear cameras, one main camera, one for telephoto and one wide angle camera, the third lesser variant will come with dual cameras. Front cameras for the S10 and S10 Plus are rumoured to be dual camera units. Among all these one interesting rumour is that the mid range Samsungs (probably the A series) will also get 3 camera modules from next year.

As far as OnePlus is concerned, they are enjoying huge success with the 6, its now their most successful model ever, and in India they are enjoying more than 40% share in the high end smartphone market, but if we go by their policy of a new phone every six month we might get a T variant in next few months, and the reason for the rumour mill going strong now is that Oppo has recently announced Oppo R17. Both Oppo and OnePlus (along with Vivo) being owned by BBK group, OP shares design ideas from Oppo, and a flagship device from Oppo is generally an indication of what to expect from OP for their next device, design wise that is.
Old 14th August 2018, 14:52   #27614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From the symptoms, it looks like there is no issue with GPS chip as such, but for some reason, it is not able to find the co-ordinates in the beginning and also keep losing it.
I have been facing a similar issue (will find destination but fails to generate route / Uber OR Ola will not auto detect my location) on my Nokia 8 for the past month, I can't be sure but it most surfaced after the July security update.
Was going to wait it out until the weekend for a software update failing which I will perform a factory reset. However, the optical sensor issue has resurfaced, so I guess its a good time to reset the phone and handover to the service center.
Old 14th August 2018, 15:17   #27615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I have been facing a similar issue (will find destination but fails to generate route / Uber OR Ola will not auto detect my location) on my Nokia 8 for the past month, I can't be sure but it most surfaced after the July security update.
Was going to wait it out until the weekend for a software update failing which I will perform a factory reset. However, the optical sensor issue has resurfaced, so I guess its a good time to reset the phone and handover to the service center.
Mine also started after the update (July Security and OS 8.1). But the thing is, it was working fine for around 2 weeks (even after the update) and then started all of a sudden. So, difficult to associate the issue to the update!
Btw, I did factory reset twice, but still the issue did not go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks