Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:09   #3451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: StrangeWizard has a Strange Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My BB Curve 8520 was exposed to water today morning. Some water seeped in through the keypad and some went inside from the back.
Now the problem is that I can scroll using my trackpad but can't click anywhere. Also the keypad is acting funny. More than half of the buttons type the wrong alphabet and automatically sends the message to the other person.
Even when the phone is idle, random numbers/alphabets get typed on its own!
So now I'm not able to read any messages and answer any calls.
Please help me as to what should I do. I'll be using the phone for about a couple of months more.
try the "desi ilaaj" first.
disassemble it as much as you are you able to, and leave eberything somewhere hot, but not in the direct sun.
(like under the seat in a car parked in the sun, etc)

That should take care of the water.
if it still wont work(may, may not...its not a company-authorized fixit..), then drop it off at your BB guy.

In that case, i dont see your last statement remaining applicable entirely.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:14   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
....saw someone put a Defy into a tray of water, and it survived. ....
sir thats because Defy is water proof / water resistant. That's the phone's USP.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:18   #3453
BHPian

Hey guys,
discovered a Free push-to-talk for BlackBerry on a website and tried using it.Pretty effective but remember data gets charged although very useful.the link is Loudtalks for BlackBerry

Disclaimer:I'm in no way connected to this software nor trying to advertise or endorse it.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:51   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
My BB Curve 8520 was exposed to water today morning. Some water seeped in through the keypad and some went inside from the back.
Now the problem is that I can scroll using my trackpad but can't click anywhere. Also the keypad is acting funny. More than half of the buttons type the wrong alphabet and automatically sends the message to the other person.
Please help me as to what should I do. I'll be using the phone for about a couple of months more.
Although it may sound wierd at first, it does work and is recommended by many. Disassemble the phone (i.e. remove the battery, sim card, memory card, etc.) and submerge the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice for a couple of days (approx. 48 hours).
The reason for this is that the rice will suck out all the moisture from the phone.

Another point to note is that whenever any electronic gadget gets dropped in water, the first thing one should do is to remove the battery immediately. Contrary to what most people do - restart it and check if everything is fine.
The reason being that its not the water that does the damage to any electronic gadget, its the electricity running through it that comes in contact with the water and short-circuits the circuitry. Hence, always remove the battery and dry out the gadget for a couple of days, your chances of recovery are much higher.

P.S. - In your case, since you have kept the phone turned on, perhaps your chances may be low as the damage may have been done, but try the rice trick. It worked for my Storm2.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:13   #3455
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
... submerge the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice for a couple of days (approx. 48 hours).
The reason for this is that the rice will suck out all the moisture from the phone.

Another point to note is that whenever any electronic gadget gets dropped in water, the first thing one should do is to remove the battery immediately.
One other trick which was tole to me by a caterer. Use Talc to suck out the moisture. Also, fully endorse remove battery immediately.

See my previous post the LG was in water for all of 10 minutes or so, and still survived.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:26   #3456
Senior - BHPian

I Went into a swimming pool with Nokia n95> it ws submerged in water for 2 hours. Removed everything and put it in sun for 4-5 hours. Then used drier for sometime and it worked. So try all the measures suggested here.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:10   #3457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My previous phone ( BB Bold-9000) was immersed in a much stronger stuff ( unknowingly, i.e). I simply gave it to a known dealer who services mobiles including BB and he did something called "Acid Wash" and charged me Rs.450 and voila, my phone was back to normal.

Gave the phone in morning and collected it late afternoon.
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:42   #3458
BHPian

Finally finalised the models its either curve 9300 or javelin 8900
now the issue is i am getting a high variation in prices for 9300 anywhere from 12.8k to 14.8k.
can anyone tell me which is the reliable store in mumbai ?
also is javelin 8900 good ? am getting it in sub 10k range.

Also are BB sturdy in terms of build like nokias and is the firmware stable ? does it crash?
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:57   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I Went into a swimming pool with Nokia n95> it ws submerged in water for 2 hours. Removed everything and put it in sun for 4-5 hours. Then used drier for sometime and it worked. So try all the measures suggested here.
Thanks for the tip. My N95 8GB is in a similar state and the Nokia Service center is asking me to change the slider strip which works upto around 4k.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:38   #3460
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

I am facing a very funny problem in my wife's BB 8520. Since today afternoon the right top corner is only showing GSM instead of EDGE and all her services have stopped working. I spoke to vodafone customer care 8 times since afternoon and those fools are good for nothing. They made me re start my fone all the times. Also refresh the routing table and stuff but no luck. Ultimate answer given to us was "our services are all OK, something wrong with the handset".

My wife is travelling for work tomorrow and needs to have her BB activated. Can some body guuide me what to do? I got the BB services deactivated and hoping that will resolve the issue. Shall activate services on her phone once we receive the cancellation confirmation.

Just want to understand what could be the possible problem here?
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:08   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
One other trick which was tole to me by a caterer. Use Talc to suck out the moisture. Also, fully endorse remove battery immediately.
Yes, talc does suck out moisture but rice is preferred as talc gets completely into the phone as it is in powder form whereas rice granules do not and can be easily shaken off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello all,
I am facing a very funny problem in my wife's BB 8520. Since today afternoon the right top corner is only showing GSM instead of EDGE and all her services have stopped working. I spoke to vodafone customer care 8 times since afternoon and those fools are good for nothing. They made me re start my fone all the times. Also refresh the routing table and stuff but no luck. Ultimate answer given to us was "our services are all OK, something wrong with the handset".

My wife is travelling for work tomorrow and needs to have her BB activated. Can some body guuide me what to do? I got the BB services deactivated and hoping that will resolve the issue. Shall activate services on her phone once we receive the cancellation confirmation.

Two questions here:
1 - Is everything else working, as in can you make calls and sms & only the BB services are off?
2 - Is it a Verizon handset?

In any case, go to Options - Mobile Network & check that your data services are turned on.
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:26   #3462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, talc does suck out moisture but rice is preferred as talc gets completely into the phone as it is in powder form whereas rice granules do not and can be easily shaken off.

Two questions here:
1 - Is everything else working, as in can you make calls and sms & only the BB services are off?
2 - Is it a Verizon handset?

In any case, go to Options - Mobile Network & check that your data services are turned on.
Hi,

Calls, sms, wifi, etc all working fine. Something from service provider end. Vodafone is messing it up since today morning we created a big mess for over charging for mobile connect even when web surfing is not possible on BB 299 plan.

I bought this phone from BB shop in my city.
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:35   #3463
BHPian

Hey, thats interesting, they have been charging me also for the past 2 months even though i have the unlimited plan. I think they are doing this deliberately. Will speak to customer care again today & see what happens.

As for your problem, just check the phone and see if her phone has verizon written on it anywhere. If it is, then i think i know the problem.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:00   #3464
BHPian

Quote:
First of all switch off, remove the battery, and then allow the phone to dry out. Shake out any water and put it in the sun for a couple of hours. God willing when you reinsert the battery it may come back!

Phones are pretty rugged, saw someone put a Defy into a tray of water, and it survived. My brother-in-law had a gen 1 LG CDMA (the one RCOM used to supply as part of the DAPO) for many years. Twice his son threw it into the water bucket used for wiping the floor. Both times it came back after a wash (the water was filthy) and dry treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
try the "desi ilaaj" first.
disassemble it as much as you are you able to, and leave eberything somewhere hot, but not in the direct sun.
(like under the seat in a car parked in the sun, etc)

That should take care of the water.
if it still wont work(may, may not...its not a company-authorized fixit..), then drop it off at your BB guy.

In that case, i dont see your last statement remaining applicable entirely.
Quote:
Although it may sound wierd at first, it does work and is recommended by many. Disassemble the phone (i.e. remove the battery, sim card, memory card, etc.) and submerge the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice for a couple of days (approx. 48 hours).

Another point to note is that whenever any electronic gadget gets dropped in water, the first thing one should do is to remove the battery immediately. Contrary to what most people do - restart it and check if everything is fine.
The reason being that its not the water that does the damage to any electronic gadget, its the electricity running through it that comes in contact with the water and short-circuits the circuitry. Hence, always remove the battery and dry out the gadget for a couple of days, your chances of recovery are much higher.

P.S. - In your case, since you have kept the phone turned on, perhaps your chances may be low as the damage may have been done, but try the rice trick. It worked for my Storm2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My previous phone ( BB Bold-9000) was immersed in a much stronger stuff ( unknowingly, i.e). I simply gave it to a known dealer who services mobiles including BB and he did something called "Acid Wash" and charged me Rs.450 and voila, my phone was back to normal.

Gave the phone in morning and collected it late afternoon.
Thanks for the replies everyone! I disassembled the phone and kept it in a hot place but away from direct sunlight. Checked the phone after 4-5 hours and voila! it worked completely fine.
I also found out that there is a small "indicator" near the battery which turns pink when the phone is exposed to water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello all,

This happened to my 8520 a couple of days back. I have a prepaid card and the balance went in negative so the BB services stopped working
(even though I am activated on the 399 unlimited plan-and the renewal still has some days left). I quickly recharged the phone and restarted it. Everything worked fine.
It happens sometimes that when we are in a low coverage area the EDGE becomes edge or shows GSM.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 23rd June 2011 at 11:02.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:20   #3465
BHPian

playbook launched last night in mumbai,it was launched by salman khan,
playbook is launched with 3 different memory capacity,
16gb - 27000
32gb - 30600
64gb - 36200
lets see how the reviews are now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks