Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 15:32   #4291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
So finally its out z10 priced almost same as Iphone 5 at 43490

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/blackber...375002-11.html
43 Grand for a new OS experience from a maker that was on the verge of dying? This is like Peugeot entering the market with a new sedan - new engine, new interiors ,the whole shebang and then charging a bomb for it! It just won't work.

Blackberry, at this stage, had to get its product AND its pricing right. Their new phones have recd mixed reviews and with such exorbitant pricing, they've hit their own feet with a dozen hammers. God save them!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 26th February 2013 at 15:33.
Old 26th February 2013, 20:02   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
Guys any news for any kind of update for the Playbook with regard to OS 10? I'm getting a good deal on a Playbook and wondering if i should pick on up.
The only news right now is a statement from their CEO that OS 10 is definitely being pushed to Playbook. However no date or version has been specified. I'm any case the playbook is a great buy. You won't regret it even if OS 10 doesn't come to it.
Old 26th February 2013, 20:50   #4293
BHPian

I am in the market for a smart phone, never imagined choosing to be so stressful and confusing . As the phone is for primarily for business use i have decided to go for a BB 9900 , but with Z10 on the horizon I am not too sure I must be buying the 9900 or wait for Z10. What are my options guys , do I wait or buy the 9900. I need a phone in the next 10 days. Budget is 30K +/- 3k
Old 26th February 2013, 21:11   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I am in the market for a smart phone, never imagined choosing to be so stressful and confusing . As the phone is for primarily for business use i have decided to go for a BB 9900 , but with Z10 on the horizon I am not too sure I must be buying the 9900 or wait for Z10. What are my options guys , do I wait or buy the 9900. I need a phone in the next 10 days. Budget is 30K +/- 3k
From whatever i have read, the Z 10 wouldnt fit in your budget. All reports point towards a 40K + figure. How comfortable are you with a touch only screen Vs Qwerty, thats one question which should think about. On the otherhand, if you can, wait for the next 10 days wait and see how the Z10 is (provided it is launched by then). You wouldnt want to be in a situation if you love the Z10 and it gets launched a day after you buy the 9900.
Old 26th February 2013, 21:15   #4295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
Guys any news for any kind of update for the Playbook with regard to OS 10? I'm getting a good deal on a Playbook and wondering if i should pick on up.
The playbook will get the BB10 update. The uncertainty however is on the time frame.
At the Bb-10 Os release, the CEO of BB did say that playbook would get the bb-10 Os update. However what he did not tell was when..

Anyways, the playbook is a very competent tablet. Even without the BB-10 Os, it is pretty awesome.

Quote:
The Z-10 is priced around 43k, so i would suggest go ahead with the 9900. I had used it for about 2 months and then went back to my torch 9800. It is a very decent device, and for business purpose its just apt.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:12   #4296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
From whatever i have read, the Z 10 wouldnt fit in your budget. All reports point towards a 40K + figure. How comfortable are you with a touch only screen Vs Qwerty, thats one question which should think about. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

The Z-10 is priced around 43k, so i would suggest go ahead with the 9900. I had used it for about 2 months and then went back to my torch 9800. It is a very decent device, and for business purpose its just apt.
Thanks for your responses guys, I was hoping that the Z10 prices may settle down a few days after launch to about 35K , but I guess I do not have the luxury of time. I will go for the 9900.

Regards,

MP
Old 26th February 2013, 22:30   #4297
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your responses guys, I was hoping that the Z10 prices may settle down a few days after launch to about 35K , but I guess I do not have the luxury of time. I will go for the 9900.

Regards,

MP
The 9900 is good, however I would not advice you to get one within the next 10 days. Its price will certainly come down because of the z-10's launch.

But before you do take the plunge, do set your priorities because the 9900 will get dreary after a certain period of time.

Regards.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:34   #4298
BHPian

DOA or Dead on arrival, a term so apt for this phone. A dying manufacturer in a last bid to save itself from inevitable bankruptcy doles out a product which was declared irrelevant even before it was conceived. And now with this price the final nail is hammered is in the coffin.

Blackberry the company which once was.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:35   #4299
BHPian

Quote:
The 9900 is good, however I would not advice you to get one within the next 10 days. Its price will certainly come down because of the z-10's launch.

But before you do take the plunge, do set your priorities because the 9900 will get dreary after a certain period of time.

Regards.
What would be your suggestion , what phone do I go for ? with a budget of around 30K I do not see to many options.
Old 26th February 2013, 23:04   #4300
BHPian

Quote:
What would be your suggestion , what phone do I go for ? with a budget of around 30K I do not see to many options.
Well the only other options are android, apple and windows.
As you said you need the phone primarily for business purpose, so im guessing emails and pdf/word/excel files etc.

Apple has some fancy emi scheme going on these days with the iphone 5/4s/4.
You can get the iphone 5 at Rs 16,990 and and emi for 12 months at Rs 2376.
The 4s for Rs 9,990 with emi of Rs 2376 for 12 months and the iphone 4 for Rs 9,990 with emi of Rs 1,376 a month for 12 months.

If you have to choose from the windows stable, have a look at the new Lumia 820. Its well within your budget at 25k.

And if it has to be android then i would suggest the S3 at 27k.

However, none of them have a physical keyboard(if that is what you are looking for).

The 9900 is a good device by no doubt, It has a great keyboard and has a slightly better email integration than the other available options(But not by much, a +1 at the max) however after about a month or two you would be struggling to do something new on the device.
Old 27th February 2013, 00:43   #4301
BHPian

Quote:
Well the only other options are android, apple and windows.
As you said you need the phone primarily for business purpose, so im guessing emails and pdf/word/excel files etc.

The 9900 is a good device by no doubt, It has a great keyboard and has a slightly better email integration than the other available options(But not by much, a +1 at the max) however after about a month or two you would be struggling to do something new on the device.

Thanks for the replies Enigmatic , this narrows it down quite a bit to what I am looking for. The BB fits my bill and as advised I will wait a few days for the prices to drop.

Thanks!
Old 27th February 2013, 11:05   #4302
BHPian

Z10 is launched & is available off the shelf from today,market operating price is 43490/-.you dont buy a phone everyday so i would suggest Z10 is a better option then 9900 Bold 4.
keep aside the financial position of BB,lets not forget BB was the trend setter for every technology in handheld phones,mails,messengers,group chats,customised fonts,excitement of knowing if the pings have been delivered & read.
i was at the launch of the Z10 in mumbai & i must say BB has got a winner,you wont be surprised at the super fast processing speed & toggles between applications.the detailing of the glass keyboard is amazing..
Old 27th February 2013, 11:39   #4303
Distinguished - BHPian

MP, If i was in the market for a phone with a 33K budget. I wouldnt blink an eye and add another 10K and get the Z10

It's simply an awesome device and will give the likes of S3 and IP5 a run for their money in every feature department.

Since you have already honed down to a blackberry, it's a cinch !!!

P.S: I am fighting a terrible urge to dump my 10 month old Torch (9810) and grab the Z10

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th February 2013 at 11:41.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:18   #4304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies Enigmatic , this narrows it down quite a bit to what I am looking for. The BB fits my bill and as advised I will wait a few days for the prices to drop.

Thanks!
Like most others I'd advise biting the bullet and buying the Z10. It's a total change from the previous BlackBerry platform and according to the three reviewers I trust (NYT's Pogue, WSJ's Mossberg and BW's Jaroslovsky) a game changer in terms of typing and use, especially for business users - the negativity here notwithstanding.

If you can wait ten days a couple of things may happen -
# The BB9900 may fall in price (if you have to buy it)
# BlackBerry or operators (I've seen `coming soon' ads from Vodafone) may introduce plans to lessen the hit.

I personally use a BB9900 and love it. I will eventually move to BB10 when its time to get a new phone but not immediately - if it ain't broke why fix it? My corporate app runs best on a BB, so choice of phone/
brand is automatic for me.
Old 27th February 2013, 22:18   #4305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The only news right now is a statement from their CEO that OS 10 is definitely being pushed to Playbook. However no date or version has been specified. I'm any case the playbook is a great buy. You won't regret it even if OS 10 doesn't come to it.
Quote:
The playbook will get the BB10 update. The uncertainty however is on the time frame.
At the Bb-10 Os release, the CEO of BB did say that playbook would get the bb-10 Os update. However what he did not tell was when..

Anyways, the playbook is a very competent tablet. Even without the BB-10 Os, it is pretty awesome.
Thanks for your replies mates. Looks like the PB is actually as good as they make it look in the reviews. Looks like i'll go forward with my purchase

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks