Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:13   #4306
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Blackberry Z 10 launched for 43490. But is it worth it ?
The new blackerry features a
1.5 GHz Dual Core Processor
4.2-inch Capacitive Touchscreen
8 MP Primary Camera
Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
Full HD Recording
Wi-Fi Enabled
BlackBerry 10 OS
2 MP Secondary Camera
2 GB ram

The specs are appealing but you will end up paying 43490 for this beauty. but it is totally worth it when compared to the I phone 5 but not when compared to the S III or the Note II. [ not going to bring these two into comparison as these are better buys in all ways ].
Reasons to consider the Z 10 over the i phone 5
1.Data speeds
HSPA+ (168 mbps) vs LTE (80 mbps)

2.Ram
2048 MB vs 1024mb

3.resolution
1280x768 vs 1136x640

4.2 g talk time
10 hours vs 8 hours

5.pixel density
355 PPI vs 325 PPI

6.processor
1500 MHz vs 1300

7.standby time
12,7 days vs 9,4 days

8.screen size
4,2 vs 4,0

Cons
1. apps
500000+ vs 70000+ [ popular apps like skype ,viber and what's app have announced their arrival and hopefully within a year or so, there'll more apps in the Blackberry app world ].

2.internal storage
32 GB vs 16 GB

3.Smaller
58x123x7 mm vs 65x130x9 mm

4.Lighter
112 g vs 135 g

5.Slightly thinner
8 mm vs 9 mm

NOTE: information compiled from different websites.
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:42   #4307
Distinguished - BHPian

and also available with 3k off on ebay.
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:41   #4308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
and also available with 3k off on ebay.
That is with dealer warranty not manufacturers.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:12   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
MP, If i was in the market for a phone with a 33K budget. I wouldnt blink an eye and add another 10K and get the Z10

P.S: I am fighting a terrible urge to dump my 10 month old Torch (9810) and grab the Z10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

If you can wait ten days a couple of things may happen -
# The BB9900 may fall in price (if you have to buy it)
# BlackBerry or operators (I've seen `coming soon' ads from Vodafone) may introduce plans to lessen the hit.

I personally use a BB9900 and love it. I will eventually move to BB10 when its time to get a new phone but not immediately - if it ain't broke why fix it? My corporate app runs best on a BB, so choice of phone/
brand is automatic for me.
The reason for going for the BB instead of a Android is my office apps are only iOS or BB OS compatible. At 43K i just do not see that the Z10 is worth the money in terms of specs.

It is imperative that I get a phone ASAP, I can go for a used BB for now and wait for some time for the Q10 which is rumored to be cheaper than the Z10 and go for it. I can stretch to about 35K for the Q10.
2GB ram in Q10 vs the 700 Odd in 9900 is just too much of a difference.

Any tentative dates for the Q10?

Thanks

MP
Old 4th March 2013, 21:00   #4310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
The reason for going for the BB instead of a Android is my office apps are only iOS or BB OS compatible. At 43K i just do not see that the Z10 is worth the money in terms of specs.

It is imperative that I get a phone ASAP, I can go for a used BB for now and wait for some time for the Q10 which is rumored to be cheaper than the Z10 and go for it. I can stretch to about 35K for the Q10.
2GB ram in Q10 vs the 700 Odd in 9900 is just too much of a difference.

Any tentative dates for the Q10?

Thanks

MP
Well according to recent reports it is expected to arrive by Mid April 2013 and the price is expected to be something between 30-35 k.
Old 9th March 2013, 14:15   #4311
Team-BHP Support

The MD Sunil Dutt resigns.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/18875822.cms
Old 9th March 2013, 20:33   #4312
Senior - BHPian

So, anyone purchased Z10 here?
Would like to know the review.
Old 9th March 2013, 20:44   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shocking ,the captain is usually the last to leave a sinking ship whereas rats leave first.

Just goes to show where BB is heading, I remember my friend buying a Palm Pre 2 weeks before HP pulled the plug on Palm, he was left with a device with no support and no updates. Poor sod had to get CM android on the device.

Not saying the same fate will hit BB, but you never know, their most important markets, the US, UK, Germany, France etc have all moved on to other OS's. Even analysts don't buy the comeback which their new CEO is promising. Shares have apparently hit an all time low. Unless you really must have the Z10, I would recommend guys to hold on or find better alternatives elsewhere.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:48   #4314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Shocking ,the captain is usually the last to leave a sinking ship whereas rats leave first.

Just goes to show where BB is heading, I remember my friend buying a Palm Pre 2 weeks before HP pulled the plug on Palm, he was left with a device with no support and no updates. Poor sod had to get CM android on the device.

Not saying the same fate will hit BB, but you never know, their most important markets, the US, UK, Germany, France etc have all moved on to other OS's. Even analysts don't buy the comeback which their new CEO is promising. Shares have apparently hit an all time low. Unless you really must have the Z10, I would recommend guys to hold on or find better alternatives elsewhere.
There are a number of inaccuracies in your post. Blackberry is still well regarded in the U.K. - that's one reason it was one of the first countries where the phone was launched.
You can't say analysts don't buy the comeback when the phone hasn't even been launched in the U.S. Off 22 analysts that track BlackBerry, 7 recommend a buy, 16 hold (wait and watch) and 22 sell. Therefore 51% have a buy or hold rating.
The stock isn't at an all time low. It hit an all-time low of $6.3 on Sept. 24, 2012. It was at $13.06 as of the close on Friday. This year the stock has actually gained 10%, outperforming the Nasdaq Composite's 7.4% advance.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:19   #4315
BHPian

Quote:

There are a number of inaccuracies in your post. Blackberry is still well regarded in the U.K. - that's one reason it was one of the first countries where the phone was launched.
You can't say analysts don't buy the comeback when the phone hasn't even been launched in the U.S. Off 22 analysts that track BlackBerry, 7 recommend a buy, 16 hold (wait and watch) and 22 sell. Therefore 51% have a buy or hold rating.
The stock isn't at an all time low. It hit an all-time low of $6.3 on Sept. 24, 2012. It was at $13.06 as of the close on Friday. This year the stock has actually gained 10%, outperforming the Nasdaq Composite's 7.4% advance.
I shuffle india and the UK on a yearly basis, not that it means anything but I do get an idea of what is selling and what is not. For your information not two days ago smart phone store was doing a sale and giving the Z10 for 339 £. Surprising since it has not been launched for little over a month. Did you also know that new mobile sales in the UK are accepting the Z10 at a rate of 3 to 4 points compared to 18 for windows phone. I won't even mention apple or Android.

You can go ahead and take a punt on Black berry, I for one would stay away and recommend others the same as well. There are better and more mature systems on the market which offer you much much more for way less.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:32   #4316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I shuffle india and the UK on a yearly basis, not that it means anything but I do get an idea of what is selling and what is not. For your information not two days ago smart phone store was doing a sale and giving the Z10 for 339 £. Surprising since it has not been launched for little over a month. Did you also know that new mobile sales in the UK are accepting the Z10 at a rate of 3 to 4 points compared to 18 for windows phone. I won't even mention apple or Android.

You can go ahead and take a punt on Black berry, I for one would stay away and recommend others the same as well. There are better and more mature systems on the market which offer you much much more for way less.
Why would you assume that I don't know what is happening in the UK market? That aside, all I said was it's still a well-regarded brand in the U.K., unlike the U.S. I didn't say its the best-selling or that there is no discounting. Heck, even Flipkart had/has an offer for 41k already.

There is an element of price gouging by the company with its flashy new product but unlike Apple they are not wedded to the price point, so in a few months it'll be 35k.

You have smartly side-stepped the sweeping inaccuracies in your first post. I presume you don't have an answer for those - It's hard to argue with hard data anyhow.

I don't need to take a punt on BlackBerry. I've used three of them over the past 7 years. None have given me a reason to crib or change brands. So honestly, I fail to understand the emotions this company engenders. All this doesn't take away from the fact that the Z10 is a great phone and for someone who needs a BlackBerry - this is the one to get.
Old 12th March 2013, 12:54   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. So honestly, I fail to understand the emotions this company engenders. All this doesn't take away from the fact that the Z10 is a great phone and for someone who needs a BlackBerry - this is the one to get.

Always have wondered about the sheer negativity BB seems to generate in cyberspace. Every comment thread on gsmarena would be filled with RIM fail or RIM RIP. It is a brand bringing out phones which are good. Unlike aforesaid example of palm, BB still has millions of BB users worldwide for them to tap into. Numbers might be diminishing or increasing but that is the way the mobile industry works.

In 2005, Nokia had 70% market share here, where are they now? In 2006-2007 Motorola went up to nearly 30%. Where are they now? Then it was Sony, LG's turn to shine. All through this ole Samsung has always been consistent and now they shot through the roof

Apple iPhone sales have drastically dipped and trade is stuck with stocks.

We do have ample space to have multiple OSs out here and we should all give them a chance. Asking people not to buy is not very conducive to capitalism.

As for Mr.Dutt with all respect, his resignation should not be seen as a sign of things to come. He's been at the helm of Nokia, Samsung, HP and what not. A rolling stone gathers no moss they say. People come people go but consumers and brand will survive.

Sorry for the rant. My apologies for the eye sore.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:36   #4318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't need to take a punt on BlackBerry. I've used three of them over the past 7 years. None have given me a reason to crib or change brands. So honestly, I fail to understand the emotions this company engenders. All this doesn't take away from the fact that the Z10 is a great phone and for someone who needs a BlackBerry - this is the one to get.
Very well said Starscream. I too do not understand the sheer negativity and bad-mouthing people do on Blackberry. Apart from additional apps and maybe a faster processor, I dont find BB lacking in any task/activity that other phones can accomplish.

This app business is actually detrimental to the actual use of a smart phone, we are being forced to stuff our phones with apps that we hardly ever use. IMO, Out of the 1000's of apps out there, 80% of them are just useless and what is useful is already there even for a BB phone...So where is BB lacking actually?

I too have been using one (actually changed 5 BB phones) in last 7 years and this constant comparison with iPhone and Android makes me really wonder what exactly are they getting more from those OS which BB is lacking?

Infact, the main parameters (Email, Scheduling and Chat) BB is still unbeatable.

Now with Z10, BB has created a better OS platform with a tighter integration to many useful activities as mentioned afore to make it a perfect business-cum-smart phone. It's plainly a superior phone than the iPhone 5 and S3 but, its the mind-set that is going to be a challenge for BB to sell its best ever phone.

Iam already decided on Z10 but, just waiting for the prices to fall to my budget level
Old 12th March 2013, 19:35   #4319
Senior - BHPian

I have recently converted to the BB (two months back) with a used 9320 (hence real VFM!). I had an E63, then Motorola Defy and finally a (terrible) HTC Chacha. I couldn't be happier. Except for the chacha's lovely screen and awesome cam (but only on stock ROM which really sucks) I am very happy with BB.

The App World is an abomination but my basic apps are covered and it does a really awesome job of whatever it does, with unbeatable battery life!!
Old 13th March 2013, 15:06   #4320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Always have wondered about the sheer negativity BB seems to generate in cyberspace. Every comment thread on gsmarena would be filled with RIM fail or RIM RIP. It is a brand bringing out phones which are good. Unlike aforesaid example of palm, BB still has millions of BB users worldwide for them to tap into. Numbers might be diminishing or increasing but that is the way the mobile industry works.

In 2005, Nokia had 70% market share here, where are they now? In 2006-2007 Motorola went up to nearly 30%. Where are they now? Then it was Sony, LG's turn to shine. All through this ole Samsung has always been consistent and now they shot through the roof
I guess bashing BlackBerry is a fashionable thing. The only company that I'm reminded off that got so much flack for the longest time was Apple. I don't grudge them their success - they were down and out for more years than they've been successful. Another parallel between BB and Apple is that both had a loyal band of followers through thick and thin.

In contrast, look at Nokia. I don't see anybody defending or bashing them vociferously. And that in my opinion is a worse fate because nobody cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Very well said Starscream. I too do not understand the sheer negativity and bad-mouthing people do on Blackberry. Apart from additional apps and maybe a faster processor, I dont find BB lacking in any task/activity that other phones can accomplish.

This app business is actually detrimental to the actual use of a smart phone, we are being forced to stuff our phones with apps that we hardly ever use. IMO, Out of the 1000's of apps out there, 80% of them are just useless and what is useful is already there even for a BB phone...So where is BB lacking actually?
I actually fell for this app business - not for my phone but for my Playbook tablet. I didn't get it because I had to support BB. I only bought it because it was an awesome deal for the money (at discounted prices).

Initially, I cribbed that it didn't have x app and y app but as I got more familiar with it, I started to realize something - it doesn't need the apps because it supports Adobe Flash. Most of the apps for IOS are to display web content on the device minus Flash. So there is an app to read NYT, Huffington Post etc. With the Playbook you just go to the website and see everything the way it appears on a computer.

On the phone, my corporate app runs best and offers the most features on a BlackBerry. Everything else is incidental. And its true, I hardly use the other stuff - I mean Shazam is cute, but I've used it maybe three times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have recently converted to the BB (two months back) with a used 9320 (hence real VFM!). I had an E63, then Motorola Defy and finally a (terrible) HTC Chacha. I couldn't be happier. Except for the chacha's lovely screen and awesome cam (but only on stock ROM which really sucks) I am very happy with BB.

The App World is an abomination but my basic apps are covered and it does a really awesome job of whatever it does, with unbeatable battery life!!
As long as you're happy with the value-price-performance equation, nothing else matters.

Last edited by StarScream : 13th March 2013 at 15:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks