Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 23:05   #4561
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Bought a BlackBerry Z10 during the Black Friday sale at $199 + taxes from the USA. From day 1 of receiving it in India, I have been having a rebooting problem. When the phone is idle, it reboots. You can keep using it for half an hour, it won't reboot, the moment you keep it down it will keep rebooting every 3-5 minutes. Redington service center said they can't accept a phone bought from abroad. Blackberry service dot in, took my phone for service, tried different firmware updates, still didn't work. Anybody else with the Z10 facing this problem?
Old 15th February 2014, 13:18   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
... I have been having a rebooting problem. When the phone is idle, it reboots. You can keep using it for half an hour, it won't reboot, the moment you keep it down it will keep rebooting every 3-5 minutes...
Which Software Release do you have, and what's your Model Number?
You'll find these in >Settings>About.

Reboot problems were almost solved after OS update 10.1.
Old 17th February 2014, 11:35   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Bought a BlackBerry Z10 during the Black Friday sale at $199 + taxes from the USA. From day 1 of receiving it in India, I have been having a rebooting problem. When the phone is idle, it reboots. You can keep using it for half an hour, it won't reboot, the moment you keep it down it will keep rebooting every 3-5 minutes.
Now I am worried! I have done the same and my white Z10 will be with me in couple of weeks. People, is this a ususal problem with Z10? If yes then will inform my friend to check it thoroughly and return if possible.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:41   #4564

Roamer

You don't have to worry. I also got a white Z10 during Black Friday sale and my wife has been using it for more than 2 months. No issues found and last week it also got the OS update.
Old 25th February 2014, 00:16   #4565
BHPian

BB Z10 lovers rejoice ! price dropped to 19k!

http://www.bgr.in/news/blackberry-z1...n-india-js214/
Old 26th February 2014, 03:19   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Folks using BB10, and beejay, can you please help with a purchase decision.

I am currently on BB Curve 9360 and pretty happy for the last 12 months with it. The only gripe with BB 7 OS is the need for BES to access corporate mail. Hence thought of upgrading to BB10 owing to the fact that it does not need any BES/BIS and works on the normal Internet plans available with providers. Is this true for enterprise corporate mails?

Secondly, I was thinking of going for the Q5 as it is the most affordable BB10 phone with qwerty as i positively need the keypad. How easy is it to get used to the Q5 without the 4 mechanical buttons and trackpad? I am averse to touch screen typing but heard some really good things of the keypad of the Z10 and as per the latest post Z10 is available at similar price of Q5 so kinda confused between the 2.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 26th February 2014 at 03:21.
Old 31st March 2014, 19:32   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Folks using BB10, and beejay, can you please help with a purchase decision.

I am currently on BB Curve 9360 and pretty happy for the last 12 months with it. The only gripe with BB 7 OS is the need for BES to access corporate mail. Hence thought of upgrading to BB10 owing to the fact that it does not need any BES/BIS and works on the normal Internet plans available with providers. Is this true for enterprise corporate mails?

Secondly, I was thinking of going for the Q5 as it is the most affordable BB10 phone with qwerty as i positively need the keypad. How easy is it to get used to the Q5 without the 4 mechanical buttons and trackpad? I am averse to touch screen typing but heard some really good things of the keypad of the Z10 and as per the latest post Z10 is available at similar price of Q5 so kinda confused between the 2.
What a time to respond to your message. I am shattered.
I dropped my Q5 accidently over the weekend and shattered the glass.

About the Q5. I love it. Living without the buttons and track pad is easy. You will be familiar with it soon. The build quality is better on the Q10. I am not complaining of the build quality on the Q5 though. The phone has never hung, battery lasts a day with 7 email accounts, social media and other stuff.

I do not have enterprise and am not sure about that. For my emails, 3g is required. Thats all.

Does anybody know if I can get my warranty for the glass?

I am in a tight spot now, as I distribute Ipad App for opticians and goof up using the all touch screen. So I decided to upgrade to a full touch screen. It is a hard decision for me as I have been an ardent keypad fan.
It is not a choice rather a need for me now to get used to typing on a screen.

Hence I am planning to go for the Z10 this time. I am still to figure if I can type on a screen. I embarrass everyone using the Ipad when I start typing. It looks like a deal at 17K.

Benny

Last edited by beejay : 31st March 2014 at 19:35.
Old 4th April 2014, 15:27   #4568
SBR
BHPian

Guys,

A very basic query from my end. For someone who is used to phones with keypads and now planning an upgrade to Blackberry, which is a better handset from the below mentioned 2 options;

BB 9720
BB Q5

I will be using this phone for official emails, Whats App, Linkedin, etc. I need decent battery back up and a basic camera. Ease of typing is extremely important as I will have extensive usage at work. Front camera for Skype will be useful.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards
SBR
Old 6th April 2014, 00:31   #4569
Senior - BHPian

I used to have a BB 8730 and used it since the launch of BB on our shores till about two years ago when I switched to a Torch 9860. The changeover for me was seamless from a pure original BB keyboard c/w the side track wheel to a full touchscreen with the trackpad.

I find typing on the 9860's screen far better and smoother than using my ipad. I am sure the Z10 will only be better.

Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hence I am planning to go for the Z10 this time. I am still to figure if I can type on a screen. I embarrass everyone using the Ipad when I start typing. It looks like a deal at 17K.

Benny
Old 15th April 2014, 14:10   #4570
BHPian

Query:

I currently use Bold 3 9780 (which I absolutely love) with a Blackberry plan but its giving problems and my BB plan may also not be available for free anymore.

How is Q5/Q10 on 2G networks?
I don't want to spend on expensive 3G/ BB plans anymore as I am a very light user.( 98 bucks 1GB data types are more than enough)

I only use email, whatsapp, truecaller, BBM and twitter. Nothing else at all

I am very uncomfortable with typing on touch screens ( tried iphone, Nexus 5 and Moto G with 100% failure) and am super comfortable with BB/ E63 QWERTYs.

Also bought a Asha 210 for QWERTY and whatsapp but it is a horrible phone.

BB announced new BB10 qwerty phones with track pads but haven't heard anything concrete there after.

Kindly suggest on Q5/Q10.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:20   #4571
BHPian

Any Z10 users here. How is the phone. Honest opinions please.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:52   #4572
BHPian

It's a good phone if emails, security, and reliability is what you need. As for the apps now you can even download android apps directly through 3 party app stores. Some of Google services don't work, audio and video is decent. Battery lasts a day, and it's value for money (18k).
Old 15th April 2014, 16:40   #4573
BHPian

I have a Blackberry 9920 Curve given by office. It fell from a height and the screen became blurred. The most surprising part is - the screen replacement costs Rs. 8100 whereas the cost of new phone is Rs. 8500.

this explains why Blackberry is down and shattering.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:48   #4574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I have a Blackberry 9920 Curve given by office. It fell from a height and the screen became blurred. The most surprising part is - the screen replacement costs Rs. 8100 whereas the cost of new phone is Rs. 8500.

this explains why Blackberry is down and shattering.
Try to sell off a used blackberry in excellent condition. Nobody offers more than 2-3k for Bold handsets which were bought for 25k+
Old 17th April 2014, 14:07   #4575
BHPian

http://www.infibeam.com/Mobiles/i-Bl...Berry-Z10.html

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blackberry-z10/679463

Thinking of buying one. Does anyone think the Q10 will come at similar discounts soon?

Most Viewed