Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:37   #2251
BANNED

BIS on BSNL 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How is BSNL Blackberry service? I recently picked up a BB phone and i'm thinking of subscribing to BIS. Currenlty i have an Airtel connection but i am planning to move to BSNL. How does BSNL BB service compare with Airtel?
Started using BIS (999 plan) via 3G on my new BSNL connection. 3G is fast, much fast compared to EDGE. Yet to measure the speed in numbers.
Customer support i got from BSNL-Blackberry helpdesk is more than what i expected from BSNL (well, maybe because my expectations were lower with BSNL). Once my new BSNL connection was activated i wanted to get BIS activated and i was told that i need to fill up a form and submit at the local BSNL office. Since i have a bit of accessibility problems i was procrastinating the activation bit. I emailed BB support regarding this and they got in touch first, then an executive from BSNL Bhavan, Cochin contacted me and asked me to send the details over email for activation. Did that last evening and BIS was activated by early this morning :-)
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:46   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Started using BIS (999 plan) via 3G on my new BSNL connection. 3G is fast, much fast compared to EDGE. Yet to measure the speed in numbers.
Customer support i got from BSNL-Blackberry helpdesk is more than what i expected from BSNL (well, maybe because my expectations were lower with BSNL). Once my new BSNL connection was activated i wanted to get BIS activated and i was told that i need to fill up a form and submit at the local BSNL office. Since i have a bit of accessibility problems i was procrastinating the activation bit. I emailed BB support regarding this and they got in touch first, then an executive from BSNL Bhavan, Cochin contacted me and asked me to send the details over email for activation. Did that last evening and BIS was activated by early this morning :-)
Good to see BSNL performing effciently. Can you share plan details as I am sure something sort of might be also available in MTNL as well.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:18   #2253
BANNED

BIS-PIII - Unlimited internet plan@Rs.999/-, + 50rupees every month for 3G. Note that video streaming has not yet been made available over 3G BIS, works for everything else.

BES (Enterprise) unlimited plan is cheaper at Rs.875/-

.:: BSNL ~Blackberry Internet Services ::.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:27   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.. looks like I am still good with my plan though a Non-BIS where I am on EDGE @ 99Rs./month.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:50   #2255
Senior - BHPian

I migrate to a BB curve this week and blackberry launches an upgrade

Here is the link

Quote:
Back on April 8th we outted a new BlackBerry device model by finding it's UAProf xml document up on BlackBerry's website, and now we've got the first solid photos of it here for you to enjoy. What you're looking at (more images below) is the next-generation of the BlackBerry Curve 8520/8530, the BlackBerry Curve 9300 (and we're sure a Curve 9330 CDMA variation is in the works too).
As you can tell from the photos and from what we gathered previously from the UAProf doc, the BlackBerry Curve 9300 is really a refresh to the 8500 series, adding 3G and the WiFi n standard on top of the existing 8500's specs (9300 retains the lower res 320x240 display). While we just received the photos today on the 'ole CrackBerry tip line, we're not totally sure on how new/old the hardware/software being displayed actually is. This unit is showing off OS 5.0 (while leaked photos of the 9800 and 9670 have been running BlackBerry 6) and only 256MB of memory vs. the 512MB newer devices are getting. I would **hope** by the time the Curve 9300s hit the market that they'd be running BlackBerry 6 and 512MB of memory, though it is possible that in a plan to further differentiate the lower end of the BlackBerry lineup from the higher end that RIM would keep the Curve platform on BlackBerry 5.0 and the 256MB of memory for the time being. You can just taste this one coming to AT&T and being promoted with their new $15/mo. data plans (especially if they leave WebKit off of it which will make it that much easier to stay under 200MB of data usage). We'll just have to wait and see how this one pans out. More photos below!

Image curtsey's : Crackberry.com
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-blackberry-curve-9300.jpg
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:23   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Buying help - BlackBerry 8520 - Mumbai

Need to buy BlackBerry 8520 (with bill) in Mumbai.

I believe the price in Croma is around 15k+, but in Alfa is around 11-12k odd. (I've never bought a mobile phone from Alfa, so a bit apprehensive)

Need to buy this weekend. Please suggest a good place? I need to have the bill & warranty assurance, and want to buy at around Alfa price (budget constraints).
Old 4th June 2010, 02:23   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Which mobile service provider do you guys recommend for a new post paid connection complete with BB in Delhi. I am open to both GSM and CDMA.

Also what BB handset would you recommend.

I have been using a BB 8700 since last many years but now it is time to hand the phone and the connection back to my ex employer.
Old 4th June 2010, 07:44   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Guys I'm going to get my first blackberry and am a total newbie to this.
I am going to get the Bold 9700.Have a few questions ! would be grateful if they are answered.

1) Would like to know what you think about this phone ? meaning reviews of the 9700 ?

2) I'm currently using a vodafone Prepaid connection . Can the same number be used and converted to a Blackberry service connection ? if so do I compulsorily have to change to a postpaid connection or can I have blackberry services on a pre paid.?

3) Am also leaving to Spain in the month of September for a year of studies. And In Spain I believe they use GSM technology widely. My doubt there is , whether the same 9700 phone I buy in India can be used in Spain also ?

4)And because I am going to use the blackberry with different service providers in different countries . Where should I buy the device from ?
Should I avoid the blackberry's sold by the service providers and go for the ones that are sold with out any service providers ?

Would be glad if the questions are answered in detail as this is going to be a big investment.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:05   #2259
BANNED

Please find my inline reply in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys I'm going to get my first blackberry and am a total newbie to this.
I am going to get the Bold 9700.Have a few questions ! would be grateful if they are answered.

1) Would like to know what you think about this phone ? meaning reviews of the 9700 ?

Its nice phone, even though keyboard is a bit cramped than the Bold 9000, i like the fact that its got 256MB RAM, and also its more compact. But looks wise 9000 still looks better than 9700, just my opinion. If i ever upgrade from 9000 i'd probably buy a 9700.

BlackBerry Bold 9700 review: Dare you go - GSMArena.com

2) I'm currently using a vodafone Prepaid connection . Can the same number be used and converted to a Blackberry service connection ? if so do I compulsorily have to change to a postpaid connection or can I have blackberry services on a pre paid.?

Blackberry is available on prepaid connection too.

3) Am also leaving to Spain in the month of September for a year of studies. And In Spain I believe they use GSM technology widely. My doubt there is , whether the same 9700 phone I buy in India can be used in Spain also ?

Bold 9700 supports these frequencies, so if service providers in Spain use one of these (which i guess they do) then it will work.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100
4)And because I am going to use the blackberry with different service providers in different countries . Where should I buy the device from ?
Should I avoid the blackberry's sold by the service providers and go for the ones that are sold with out any service providers ?

Buy an unlocked device. Generally cheaper if NOT bought from service providers. If you buy it locked from service providers get it unlocked from them.

Would be glad if the questions are answered in detail as this is going to be a big investment.

Cell phones are never an Investment ;-)
Old 4th June 2010, 10:52   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Guys using the Bold 2...need your feedback.

Does the phone hang if you have like a 100 contacts and 10 groups and your memory card is full??

any problems that you wiuld like to point out??
Old 4th June 2010, 11:02   #2261
BHPian

Nishant : you can buy from alpha no problem at all. In one of the newspaper advertisments of Blackberry there was a mentioned of the phone being available in Alpha too. I have bought one my CDMA phones from aplpa. no issue as such.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:19   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys using the Bold 2...need your feedback.

Does the phone hang if you have like a 100 contacts and 10 groups and your memory card is full??

any problems that you wiuld like to point out??
Bold 2 is a wonderful phone, As a rule of thumb the memory card should not be filled up to brim. Many colleagues are having it and using it without any such issues.

Try resetting software after backing up and emptying memory card, it might solve the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Which mobile service provider do you guys recommend for a new post paid connection complete with BB in Delhi. I am open to both GSM and CDMA.

Also what BB handset would you recommend.

I have been using a BB 8700 since last many years but now it is time to hand the phone and the connection back to my ex employer.
Airtel seems to be one of the best mobile service provider to me, though in BB all the companies charge premium and rate accordingly.

If GPS and Bigger Megapixel camera ain't you choice then you can opt for BB8520, should cost you between 12-13K else you can also look at 8900 costing between 17-18K.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:20   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Need to buy BlackBerry 8520 (with bill) in Mumbai.

I believe the price in Croma is around 15k+, but in Alfa is around 11-12k odd. (I've never bought a mobile phone from Alfa, so a bit apprehensive)

Need to buy this weekend. Please suggest a good place? I need to have the bill & warranty assurance, and want to buy at around Alfa price (budget constraints).

Alfa with bill products have absolutely no problems. They are with company warantee only. I only buy from alfa all mobiles & its accessories. Till date have not faced any problem.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:34   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Airtel seems to be one of the best mobile service provider to me, though in BB all the companies charge premium and rate accordingly.

If GPS and Bigger Megapixel camera ain't you choice then you can opt for BB8520, should cost you between 12-13K else you can also look at 8900 costing between 17-18K.
I was leaning towards the 8820 as it is a 3G device (I think). What's your take on that & any idea regarding the costs.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:34   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Bold 2 is a wonderful phone, As a rule of thumb the memory card should not be filled up to brim. Many colleagues are having it and using it without any such issues.

Try resetting software after backing up and emptying memory card, it might solve the problem

I havent bought the b2 as yet. just wanted to know how good it is. thanks.

Most Viewed