Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 24 4.15%
Other (Please specify) 45 7.77%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 02:36   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Worst car on indian roads!

Who has created this list and why these cars, i.e. Amby/Palio/Sumo/Scorpio in that list? By what yardstick these are the worst cars on Indian roads? Can someone please explain?
And people commenting like Wagon R or Tata Indica are the worst cars on Indian roads. Huh? What? Must be joking right? Can the poster please explain why these two cars are the worst cars? If someone personally doesn't like some car then that doesn't make them the worse cars. I think people should be more careful while posting such sweeping comments.
Old 26th September 2011, 05:38   #152
BHPian

My vote would be for Zen Estillo, much worse than a utility driven car like a Wagon R or an Omni. Terrible colors, confused target audience, pathetic style and absolutely no utility value.
Old 26th September 2011, 06:20   #153
BHPian

Voted for Omni. It’s the worst car on our roads. With that design, its a coffin on 4 wheels IMO. The car is still in production because we love FE/Space over Safety.

The list should now include Premiur Rio as well .
Old 26th September 2011, 16:38   #154
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Omni voted the worst car but it still sells in considerable numbers !!!! Well, space and driveability on narrow, congested traffic is a boon.

Only 4.18% chose the Amby, second only to Palio Stile. It is a pleasant surprise, really, to see people appreciate the Amby.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:32   #155
BHPian

My vote would be for Maruti Omni. It’s the worst car on Indian roads.
Zero safety with excellent KM/Ltr and low maintenance.
Not for personal/ family use. (In current scenario)

It is the best buy for transport wala.
Old 17th January 2015, 00:19   #156
BHPian

In order to judge a car, we need to keep in mind the product and the customer profile that the company is making it for.
However, a personal experience of many years of being ferried to school in a Maruti Omni has given me enough motivation to describe the horrors of travelling in this car.
In India, millions of children go to school everyday in an Omni in every state. The car seats are removed and the easy availability of a flat floor makes the installation of aftermarket metallic benches with sharp edges a very simple affair. I have travelled with 12 other kids in a similar '' van '', and it is very unsafe, uncomfortable and a potentially lethal mode of transportation. It does not deserve to carry human lives.
You may say that the company is not responsible for this unsafe use, but the tragedy is that MSIL knows about this use... a good proportion of its customers use it for transporting kids to school. Yet, even two decades later, there is absolutely no change in the body structure, engine, transmission and not an iota of movement in the direction of improving the safety of the kids- perhaps providing seats designed to be safer and with seatbelts.
This has to be the worst car that, unfortunately, has sold phenomenally well.
I have no intention to hurt the sentiments of members who like this vehicle- this opinion is based on a personal experience of completing my journey to the school and back for 12 years.
Nissan1180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 15:49   #157
BHPian

Oh, the Omni. It is Judas incarnated! The driver has the potential to hit the truck in front before the car hits it! Surreal!
cingsman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 16:27   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
In order to judge a car, we need to keep in mind the product and the customer profile that the company is making it for.
However, a personal experience of many years of being ferried to school in a Maruti Omni has given me enough motivation to describe the horrors of travelling in this car.
In India, millions of children go to school everyday in an Omni in every state. The car seats are removed and the easy availability of a flat floor makes the installation of aftermarket metallic benches with sharp edges a very simple affair. I have travelled with 12 other kids in a similar '' van '', and it is very unsafe, uncomfortable and a potentially lethal mode of transportation. It does not deserve to carry human lives.

I have no intention to hurt the sentiments of members who like this vehicle- this opinion is based on a personal experience of completing my journey to the school and back for 12 years.
What an irony!

I agree the fact that Omni is an unsafe car compared to some other alternatives.

But let me tell you - just because it had those seats removed and fitted with after market bench to carry 12 kids, you were given with an affordable daily commute during your school days. If the car was to be fitted with ABS, airbags, 8 seat belts and all other safety mechanisms, do you think that you would be able to travel at those monthly charges? I am almost sure that your parents didn't opt for a safer mechanism at those times because of a single factor - affordability. Now you may be rich enough, can think of better safety, and can carry your kids to school in safer vehicles.

Let me tell you - an Omni is safer than a bike or an autorikshaw. If the owner / driver of your Omni removed the seats and fitted flat seats, it is the authorities to be blamed. Maruti cannot make humps in the flat floor just to restrict those money-minded owners.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 19th January 2015 at 16:28.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 17:17   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What an irony!

I agree the fact that Omni is an unsafe car compared to some other alternatives.

I am almost sure that your parents didn't opt for a safer mechanism at those times because of a single factor - affordability. Now you may be rich enough, can think of better safety, and can carry your kids to school in safer vehicles.

Let me tell you - an Omni is safer than a bike or an autorikshaw. If the owner / driver of your Omni removed the seats and fitted flat seats, it is the authorities to be blamed. Maruti cannot make humps in the flat floor just to restrict those money-minded owners.

While you are right about the affordability factor, this thread is to identify the worst car. Even with all seats intact and no modifications, it still is a dangerous car to drive. Do you think if Maruti was a responsible manufacturer they would make something like this preying on the vulnerabilities of the Middle class? They along with Bajaj, for the autos and Ashok Leyland for their lorries have pretty much the lowest form of quality on certain models which they produce.

At least the other manufacturers are decent enough to give a chance for the occupants to live in case of an accident whether that is through design or safety equipment, Omni was a singularly terrible car to safely drive. We can't just explain it away on affordability. A bullock cart is more affordable than the Omni. We don't send our children in that.

It's a shame hat they still produce it, sell it and neither the government or the responsible authorities do anything about it.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:07   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What an irony!

But let me tell you - just because it had those seats removed and fitted with after market bench to carry 12 kids, you were given with an affordable daily commute during your school days. If the car was to be fitted with ABS, airbags, 8 seat belts and all other safety mechanisms, do you think that you would be able to travel at those monthly charges? I am almost sure that your parents didn't opt for a safer mechanism at those times because of a single factor - affordability. Now you may be rich enough, can think of better safety, and can carry your kids to school in safer vehicles.

Point Taken.
However, we must remember that affordability is not the only factor. Most schools which do not have school buses still have Omnis as the mode of transport (often outsourced to travel agencies).
But I really do not understand your line of thought- are you saying kids should suffer because their parents are not paying enough for transport? If yes, then I cannot agree with you. I know that convincing you will be difficult, but still I'll try. Parents have no option, unfortunately. Not everyone has the time to drive the kids to school in the morning- and most travel operators charge almost Rs. 3/Km for the ride in a packed Omni. If you're saying that nothing can be safer than this journey at this cost, I think your assessment needs revalidation.
I have seen an Omni that was forced to steer into a tree on the side of the road because it could not stop on a wet road- the speed was around 10 kph but the front of the car looked like a crumpled piece of paper. MSIL, despite minting money from this deathtrap for 25+ years, has not even bothered to upgrade anything on this vehicle.
Anyway, to each his own. The thread is about the worst car that has been produced. I personally feel the Omni qualifies for that distinction and hence the post.
Old 19th January 2015, 20:59   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Is safety the only feature while judging a car's worth, specially in a country like ours where laws are lax and people do not want to even wear helmets and where families of 5 members are easily seen zipping through traffic without a worry about safety? I think Omni doesn't deserve to be in this list and is rather an excellent product keeping in mind the needs of this country. BTW how many parents here on the forum send off there kids to school in a OMNI every morning? Just thinking!

Edit: I see someone has already made the point I am making above.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 13:37   #162
Senior - BHPian

Without a doubt, the Omni. I know many people say that it is safer than a 2-wheeler, but I disagree on that point. Let me explain:

What makes the Omni inherently unsafe in my mind, is more about the handling than the lack of airbags, crumple zones etc. For example, let us say an Omni is taking a corner at above average speeds, and hits a bump or gravel, it could easily skid and topple. At this point the driver can do very little. But a similar situation in a 2-wheeler is a lot more difficult to happen, because of the size of the wheels relative to the vehicle size in a 2 wheeler, and the way the vehicle is controlled by the rider's body weight. I'd take a motorbike over an Omni any day, safety-wise.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:11   #163
Senior - BHPian

For Indian Roads, I think we need to include the Civic and other sedans with low GC also. The underbody scraping is extensive in urban (read breakers) as well as rural (broken) roads. These cars were designed for certain types of roads which are non-existent in India.
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:27   #164
BHPian

Considering the safety factor omni may be the worst car on indian roads, but i haven't seen another car( or rather a four wheeler) as practical as an Omni.
We have had three generations of omni. First one with round headlights(first gen), then a second one with rectangle headlamps at presently a current generation omni. Although not used for long journeys, its still the best for small errands. For us it had many times done the job of an ape(or small pickups). 100+ coconuts, at least 10 cement packs etc can easily be carried in it. All this comes under a very affordable price tag.
But yes i agree to the fact that it cant be used as a primary car.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 02:12   #165
BHPian

Havent seen San Storm or Chinkara or road. Among the the ones I have seen, it has to be Omni. With zero safety equipment and just a this sheet of glass separating the driver and vehicle in front, nothing can be more dangerous on road. The irony?? It is being used as an ambulance in many parts of India
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks