Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 23:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

i would not like to bet my money on chinese designed and chinese manufactured vehicle!

i have seen them on roads in dxb and they are coffins on wheels! cheap imitations and clones, sometimes two cars mixed in one!
Old 1st August 2010, 08:59   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In my view, there is hardly any chinese designed vehicles. They are mostly aggregates of re-engineered parts from various global models, with a dash of Chinese creativity.
Old 1st August 2010, 09:26   #93
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i would not like to bet my money on chinese designed and chinese manufactured vehicle!

i have seen them on roads in dxb and they are coffins on wheels! cheap imitations and clones, sometimes two cars mixed in one!
In a tv program, they were talking about chinese manufacturer Geely. Geely planed to enter US market by 2008. But could not because they kept failing the pass the safety regulations and finally dropped the plan.

That speaks a lot about chinese engineered products.
Old 1st August 2010, 11:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
In a tv program, they were talking about chinese manufacturer Geely. Geely planed to enter US market by 2008. But could not because they kept failing the pass the safety regulations and finally dropped the plan.

That speaks a lot about chinese engineered products.
a 11 lakh vehicle by default will come with basic safety featurs of ABS & airbags. So that will certainly will be at par with current requirements, only things is what benchmark has force kept for chinese bodies has to be looked for.
Old 1st August 2010, 14:36   #95
Senior - BHPian

An Airbag is pointless in a chasis that's not strong enough to withstand or dissipate the force of a collision. Just adding ABS and Airbags does not make a car safe, the primary crash safety protection comes from the chassis incl. the passenger cell and crumple zones.
Just check these videos, both the Chinese Made SUV and car comes with an airbag, but the after effects are there to see.

You would be a lot safer in an Indigo than one of these at 11 lacs fitted with 'safety devices'.

Its one thing buying a chinese mobile, toy or whatever, but a car is a totally different proposition. Although I presume in our market this is the least of a car buyers worries.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd August 2010 at 14:51. Reason: Sending PM. Thanks.
shortbread is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:05   #96
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Shortbread : Thanks for that post. Many people are under the wrong impression that merely adding airbags makes a vehicle safe. As you posted, they couldn't be more off the mark. A vehicle's structural strength is of primary importance.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
An Airbag is pointless in a chasis that's not strong enough to withstand or dissipate the force of a collision. Just adding ABS and Airbags does not make a car safe, the primary crash safety protection comes from the chassis incl. the passenger cell and crumple zones.
Just check these videos, both the chinky SUV and car comes with an airbag, but the after effects are there to see.
You would be a lot safer in an Indigo than one of these at 11 lacs fitted with 'safety devices'.

Its one thing buying a chinese mobile, toy or whatever, but a car is a totally different proposition. Although I presume in our market this is the least of a car buyers worries.
Very welll defined and an excellent observation. Yes, ABS & Air bags may save life in certain conditions but ultimately it is the structure of the vehicle which has to be strong enough to take the impact and divert the force via the crumple zones etc.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:01   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Pics courtesy Autocar India forums

This SUV looks pretty huge, taillights scream mahindra but grill seems to be otherwise, like a rip off of the ford. Which SUV is this?

Just got a tip off from one of my colleagues in another supplier firm that ICML is conducting trials of an SUV from Chinese manufacturer Great Wall Motors. Great Wall Motor Company Limited

They have Haval H3 and Hover models which are likely to make it into India.

I checked their website for similarity and found so especially the grill & headlamps.

Check pics below

If you see the grill & headlights, they resemble the 3rd pic posted by Sid.

Also in their line-up, the Hover is the only vehicle with RHD see 4th pic (possible entrant for India)

This is probably the world SUV that ICML had been talking about.

MODS: Please rename the thread in case you feel it is appropriate

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-hover.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-havalh3.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-haval3int.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-possible.jpg

Quote:

This SUV looks pretty huge, taillights scream mahindra but grill seems to be otherwise, like a rip off of the ford. Which SUV is this?
I just got a tip-off from one of my colleagues in another supplier firm that ICML is currently testing some SUV in India in tie-up with Great Wall Motors (China) Great Wall Motor Company Limited . ML apparently has 2 SUV's with them currently being used for tests.

This could well be the world SUV that ICML has been talking about for some time now.

If you refer the 3rd pic posted by Sid (Grill & Headlight), it looks very similar to the pics i'm posting below.

The company has Hover, Haval H3 and some more models.
Only the Hover has a RHD, so that could well be the model in the pictures
(see last pic posted by me)

Sid's Pic
Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-3.jpg

From the website
Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-hover.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-havalh3.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-haval3int.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-possible.jpg
Mods: Please rename the thread in case you feel it is appropriate.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th August 2010 at 12:37. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 15:23   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

sorry, who is ICML? No heard of them before.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:37   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
sorry, who is ICML? No heard of them before.
heard of Rhino ? The Qualis lookalike, its made by ICML, they have a manufacturing plant in Himachal i guess & its touted as a very good plant wasted due to lesser output/productivity. They were earlier well established in tractor business i believe. sonalika ?
correct me if i m wrong plz
Old 11th August 2010, 15:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
An Airbag is pointless in a chasis that's not strong enough to withstand or dissipate the force of a collision.

Very interesting shortbread. How safe is our own UVs? In particular Xylo, Innova?
Old 11th August 2010, 15:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
heard of Rhino ? The Qualis lookalike, its made by ICML, they have a manufacturing plant in Himachal i guess & its touted as a very good plant wasted due to lesser output/productivity. They were earlier well established in tractor business i believe. sonalika ?
Yes you are right. Its Sonalika. The best part about the brand is that they shifted from Tractor to a highly competitive UV sector. I was quite amazed to see the build quality.

In terms of quality,Rhino was able to adapt to this segment pretty fast.
In that sense Tata took considerable amount of time to graduate from a truck manufacturer to a Passenger Vehicle manufacturer.

In my opinion rhino is like TVS. Maybe domestic but knows to learn and adapt to industry standard pretty fast. Hope they get better on the designing front.

Sadly I cannot say the same about their website
International Cars & Motor Ltd: SUV MUV RHINO RX DLX Rhino Rx S1 S2 Dlx ICML Hoshiarpur Punjab India

Its still Tractor class !

Last edited by maxbhp : 11th August 2010 at 15:51.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:51   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
No, you are absolutely right kri$hna.

Rhino is made by Sonalika Motors, who have a range of tractors to their credit.

However, it would be right to say that Rhino is "influenced" by Qualis. Surprisingly, after a day of traveling in it, I found it to be more comfortable than Scorpio - but that is just my opinion. The cabin was quite roomy, seated seven comfortably, visibility excellent and not difficult to drive. I remember reading an article in Autocar about it, and they too had highlighted some of the good points. Only sore point was the engine clatter...

It would be interesting to see the chinese SUV pitted against our own Rhino and Premier's RIO!
Old 11th August 2010, 16:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:

From this picture it looks like a Tata product.
Old 11th August 2010, 16:11   #105
BHPian

Seems interesting that the chinese vehicles will slowly find their way into India through some route or the other.

While these SUV's may be in the league of the Endeavour, Pajero or Captiva, if priced similarly woul'nt see much daylight. But then that is my personal viewpoint.
Going by Rio's NOT BAD level of acceptance, these SUV's may become the game changers in terms of price.

The 12-20 lakh market has grown tremendously. Probably we CAN lap up more vehicles in this bracket.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks