Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 18:15   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
EX with ABS/EBD is a good news. Its a good combination EX 4X4 + ABS !

Btw, the existing Safari has the hinges outside. However, the top one is covered by a small railing piece that connects to the Spare Wheel in tail gate.
I dont remember the lower one, lazy to get out to see how it is

Prem.
A no-frills 4x4 LXa with ABS/EBD would be the BEST! No painted skirts to get scratched either. Roof AC too preferably (or it can always be fitted if needed). What else is there in the EX? Fogs, rear wipe/demister, and a CD player? And for this they charge 2 Lacs more .... !!!

The old Safari has both hinges covered bro. And pretty neatly too.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th January 2012 at 18:20.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:21   #332
BHPian

G85 6 speed automatic gearbox for Tata Safari Storme - in future

I dont think anyone has mentioned in this thread that TATA might introduce the new G85 six speed automatic gearbox in Safari Storme along with Aria & Xenon. Here's the news link -
Auto News India - Tata Safari Storme could get G85 6 speed automatic gearbox in future | CarDekho.com
- Not sure about the authenticity of the news. Anyone who has heard or read similar updates at the Expo may please testify.

I have a deep hunch that TATA is frantically working behind the scene to spruce up the Storme. The Auto Show display could well have been a platform to showcase this 'pseudo'-new product (albeit half baked) in flesh, gather reviews/comments & then work on those to release what the market demands.

If this is indeed the case, I might be among the first ones to be in queue to lay my stakes on & replace my aging workhorse - 2005 Scorpio.

Last edited by forbhaskarm : 17th January 2012 at 18:39.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:25   #333
Senior - BHPian

Re: G85 6 speed automatic gearbox for Tata Safari Storme - in future

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
I have a deep hunch that TATA is frantically working behind the scene to spruce up the Storme. The Auto Show display could well have been a platform to showcase this pseudo-new product in flesh, gather reviews/comments & then work on those to release what the market demands.
In that case, to any TATA boffin reading this, sir kindly please give option of front facing seats for 3rd row. It is long overdue and the extra sales can surely not hurt (since you've already compromised on the image)!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 19:26   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The old Safari has both hinges covered bro. And pretty neatly too.
Yes, its covered, but not kept inside the tail gate unlike how its in Ford Endeavour.

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-tail-gate.jpg  

Old 18th January 2012, 09:47   #335
BHPian

Here is the spec for Safari Storme.

Unfortunately tires are going to be R16.

Ground clearance is 200 mm and not 195 as stated earlier.

All other details are same, more or less known on this forum. No information on the models.

SAFARISTORME-2.pdf

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 18th January 2012 at 10:05.
deepaktpatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 10:04   #336
BHPian

Sigh! What is wrong with TATA's designers and engineers?

Why did they have to modify the simple yet butch looks of the previous gen Safari and transform into an ugly looking SUV (the front looks like some Chinese make SUV now and the rear is even more difficult to digest!)

I really used to like the previous generation Safari for its looks (though it did look a bit obese ) and road presence (I still have kept those 'Reclaim your life' TVC videos in my cell!)

Looks like manufacturers these days in process of giving an upgrade (or facelift) are actually downgrading the products by spoiling their original looks [same applicable for the New Toyota Fortuner, New Toyota Innova].
Old 18th January 2012, 14:39   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post

All other details are same, more or less known on this forum. No information on the models.

Attachment 873352
Thanks.
More than the tire size, its the rear "Drum Brake" that I am not very happy about it. They should have got Disc Brakes all around !
Also, the tire size profile remains the same, at least the bigger 255/65 [or 70?] from Bridgestone.

Prem.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:03   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than the tire size, its the rear "Drum Brake" that I am not very happy about it. They should have got Disc Brakes all around !
Huh?? But the press release clearly says "disc brakes on all wheels"! Will that be only restricted to the top variant? Or am I missing something?

Tata Motors : Media : Press Releases

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 18th January 2012, 16:23   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Huh?? But the press release clearly says "disc brakes on all wheels"! Will that be only restricted to the top variant? Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Thanks.
Also, the tire size profile remains the same, at least the bigger 255/65 [or 70?] from Bridgestone.

Prem.
Spec says "DIH (Drum in Hat), Single pot". This implies its a disc brake. I hope this clarifies.
deepaktpatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:24   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Prem.
IIRC, Strome gets 17inch

Quote:

Cheers,
Vikram
The link posted by deepaktpatil doesnt look official ( doesnt have logo. copyrights etc ) . I think that was made in a hasty and hence missed out some stuff.

Lets pray its so
Old 18th January 2012, 16:27   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spec says "DIH (Drum in Hat), Single pot". This implies its a disc brake. I hope this clarifies.
If that's the case, why isn't that "implicit" nomenclature used for the "Brakes - Front" item too? That clearly says "Ventilated disc brake, Twin Pot".

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 18th January 2012, 16:32   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that's the case, why isn't that "implicit" nomenclature used for the "Brakes - Front" item too? That clearly says "Ventilated disc brake, Twin Pot".

Cheers,
Vikram
Drum in Hat Brakes | TRW Automotive
Robert Bosch GmbH - Drum In Hat

'The Drum in Hat (DIH) is a drum brake that is integrated in a caliper at the rear axle. It provides the parking brake function.'

Check this

http://www.******************.com/fo...isc-brake.html

This type has a disc & caliper for service brake and traditional drum & shoe for parking brake. Drum & disc are a single unit. Hydraulic fluid operated disc service brakes & mechanically operated drum parking brakes.
Pros:
-Parking brakes can be used as emergency brakes in case of service brake failure
-No effect of disc & pad heating & cooling
Cons:
-More cost
-More mass
-Wider wheel bearings to accommodate the increase in length (drum)

Last edited by jkdas : 18th January 2012 at 16:34.
jkdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:38   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The link posted by deepaktpatil doesnt look official ( doesnt have logo. copyrights etc ) . I think that was made in a hasty and hence missed out some stuff.

Lets pray its so
jkdas, I have taken it from Tata Motors website. Below is the link, you need navigate to passenger vehicles tab.

Tata Motors : Investors : Credit Ratings

Quote:

Cheers,
Vikram
Dont know why Tata is doing this. They should be using simple jargon which can be understood by their day to day customers.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 18th January 2012 at 16:41.
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:45   #344
Senior - BHPian

jkdas is spot on. This configuration is regularly used by heavier SUVs worldwide for better stopping power on steep inclines - whether parked or in motion. It amplifies clamping/stopping force manifold and is also a fail-safe mechanism in emergencies. Think of it like a normal drum brake hub (the "hat crown") with an extended rim acting like a rotor (the "hat brim").

Last edited by ebonho : 18th January 2012 at 16:51.
Old 19th January 2012, 21:28   #345
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 873352
The specifications are incomplete.It does not give idea about front and rear track.To my certain information the front track is now 1570 mm.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks