View Poll Results: Safari DICOR/ Scorpio CRDE
Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 17:56   #181
Senior - BHPian

in my quest to decide whether to go in for a Dicor or the Scorpio, I have been on teh phone with dealers in Bagalore all day today!

what really surprised me is that the Safari is available at 8.27L OTR with a furhter 50K discount (if you take finance ) and a 25 K discount w/o finance. so the max you spend is 8L OTR.

the scorpio on the other hand comes for 9.19 L OTR for teh DX version with NO discounts!

Also, feature wise, the safari is marginally agead of the scorpio with its electrically adjustible RVMs. Hence, i wonder how Mahindra can justify a 1.2 L price differential between the two!
Old 8th January 2007, 18:04   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what really surprised me is that the Safari is available at 8.27L OTR with a furhter 50K discount (if you take finance ) and a 25 K discount w/o finance. so the max you spend is 8L OTR.
Which variant of the safari?

Is this the sign that the new safari is due soon?
Old 8th January 2007, 18:36   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Which variant of the safari?

Is this the sign that the new safari is due soon?

This is for the LX.

Even I feel that htis is a precursor to the launch of the new Safari
Old 8th January 2007, 18:43   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

the scorpio on the other hand comes for 9.19 L OTR for teh DX version with NO discounts!

Also, feature wise, the safari is marginally agead of the scorpio with its electrically adjustible RVMs. Hence, i wonder how Mahindra can justify a 1.2 L price differential between the two!
the question is How does Mahindras sell 3000+ scorpios every month if it is overpriced, ugly , unreliable and everything else ..as per earlier comments..

The good looking super reliable ultra comfortable safari should be commanding a premium pricing and selling 3000 + numbers instead of 300 and not the other way round

Why would one give discount if it was a great product, immaculately made and also selling in huge numbers..
Old 8th January 2007, 18:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
The good looking super reliable ultra comfortable safari should be commanding a premium pricing and selling 3000 + numbers instead of 300 and not the other way round
It actually does 1500 to the Scorpio's 3000, but numbers are numbers - there's no doubt the Scorpio sells more.

Plus, nobody has painted such extreme pictures of each of these vehicles as you have quoted. Let us not forget that the Safari was earlier selling at a premium w.r.t the Scorpio earlier. With price revisions, upwards for the latter and downwards for the former, the Scorpio now sells for a price thats higher than the Safari in some cases. Therefore the story is different now than it was a few months back.

Add to it the fact that the Safari operates out of the excess capacity on the Sumo (MUV) assembly line - there was a limit to how many they can produce in a given day (used to be 18 a day earlier, allegedly increased after the price cut) and the Safari was always a fringe product for Tata as opposed to the breadwinner that the Scorpio is.

The Scorpio rules in the city, and how many people buy cars for highway use? The positioning is different (see Scorpio ads which show executives driving out of the runway into the highway vs the muddy Safari ad), and therefore the target market may also be different in size. Else would it be more pertinent to compare the Scorpio's 3k to the Bolero's 4k and conclude that the latter is a better vehicle?

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th January 2007 at 19:01.
Old 8th January 2007, 19:31   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1. With price revisions, upwards for the latter and downwards for the former, the Scorpio now sells for a price thats higher than the Safari in some cases. Therefore the story is different now than it was a few months back.

2. Add to it the fact that the Safari operates out of the excess capacity on the Sumo (MUV) assembly line - there was a limit to how many they can produce in a given day (used to be 18 a day earlier, allegedly increased after the price cut) and the Safari was always a fringe product for Tata as opposed to the breadwinner that the Scorpio is.

3.The Scorpio rules in the city, and how many people buy cars for highway use? The positioning is different (see Scorpio ads which show executives driving out of the runway into the highway vs the muddy Safari ad), and therefore the target market may also be different in size.

4.Else would it be more pertinent to compare the Scorpio's 3k to the Bolero's 4k and conclude that the latter is a better vehicle?
1.How different is the question? IMO the pricecuts have helped Tatas only marginally.( discounts after a price cut is a pointer) A better overall product usually commands a premium and sells more isnt it? ( 1143 safaris sold in november 06 ,Tata Motors - Media Centre)

2. I disagree, No product is a fringe product for any manufacturer. Usually it is an excuse for not freshening up a product or not marketing it properly. Every manufacturer will be eager to make as many cars/suvs as he can and push it to market. If he does not have capacities , he will hire it or create it. besides the Tatas margins in selling a safari will be much more than selling a sumo..so any good beancounter will tell them to push more safaris at the cost of sumos IMO.. Besides the safari is not a rollsroyce or a ferrari to be made against order or to have strict control on numbers made

3.Most of the safaris tend to be used in cities as well..the new ad of safari is shot in a basement parking..not a jungle..most of the so called suvs / offroaders never go offroad.

4.It would be , if you can comapre the Sumo with Bolero..and Sumos rule in this segment.

Last edited by w 12 : 8th January 2007 at 19:34.
Old 10th January 2007, 01:02   #187
Senior - BHPian

And the red line of the poll here, that incidentally is for the safari, is nearly a centimetre ahead of the blue line.. And this forum is all about car/bike enthusiasts.. Need I say more??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStuff View Post
Style, Looks and finish - Scorpio
Engine - Scorpio
Handling - Safari
Braking - Safari
Backseat Comfort - Safari
Spacious - Scorpio
Street Presence - Scorpio
Service - Scorpio
Less Spare part cost - Scorpio
Resale Value - Scorpio
City Cruising - Scorpio
Build Quality - Scorpio

My vote goes for Scorpio
Old 12th January 2007, 17:50   #188
BHPian

I used to own a safari.now i own a qualis,a scorpio CRde and a sumo for my field work in my line of work and terrain i transverse i found Safari quite incomparable for the comfort it gave me(i drive myself when iam inside the vehicle),

Iam waiting for the TATAs to come out with thier new 2.2,after seeing it for about 6mths atleast i will definatly buy again.
Old 13th January 2007, 20:08   #189
Senior - BHPian

The DICOR for sure. UNLESS THE MAHINDRAS OFFER THE SCORP AT THE 6.5 -7 LAKH MARK. Its not worth the money they ask for now.
Old 14th January 2007, 20:42   #190
BANNED

DICOR any day!!!

Dicor simply blows Scorp into weeds as far as looks and space are concerned. Safari has rounded looks and looks good from all angles. Scorp only looks good from front. Walk to the back of Scorp and not only it is angular and boxy but it also ends very abruptly ( like Versa ). Also lack of spare wheel on the tail-gate somehow knocks the S out of SUV, in my opinion. Space inside safari is phenomenal. Scorp ride in the second row gives you knee-pains. Scorp may have 5 to 10 kmph top speed edge over Dicor but how does it matter on Indian roads where you barely get a chance to exceed 140 kph and live to tell the tale? Dicor seems to have resurrected Safari again as I see more and more Dicors on the road. With recent price-cuts it is even more attractive now.
Old 15th January 2007, 07:15   #191
BHPian

Quote:
the question is How does Mahindras sell 3000+ scorpios every month if it is overpriced, ugly , unreliable and everything else ..as per earlier comments..
You know, numbers don't mean anything much really if you don't have a break down based on trims/variants. Is it likely that the lower variant contributes more to the Scorpio line up than to the Safari line up? The Scorpio 2.6 appears to be a bit cheaper than the DICOR LX 4x2.

Appearance is subjective, but to me Scorpio looks rather cheesy. The Safari on the other hand looks and feels like the king of the road.
Old 15th January 2007, 09:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
You know, numbers don't mean anything much really if you don't have a break down based on trims/variants. Is it likely that the lower variant contributes more to the Scorpio line up than to the Safari line up? The Scorpio 2.6 appears to be a bit cheaper than the DICOR LX 4x2.
well, the point made earlier was that compared variant to variant , feature to feature, Scorpio is more expensive than the similary specced Dicor. ACROSS all variants.

So the question of analysing based on breakdown of trims / variants is immaterial. There is a version of Safari which is priced lower than the lowest scorpio.

(Know some one who was very closely involved in marketing Scorpio..according to him only 15% of scoprios sold are base Lx version..the mid DX forms the bulk 50% and balance top end SLX . And interestingly the %age of SLX is growing at the cost of DX )
Old 15th January 2007, 10:08   #193
BHPian

Quote:
well, the point made earlier was that compared variant to variant , feature to feature, Scorpio is more expensive than the similary specced Dicor. ACROSS all variants.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. I haven't paid much attention to what the Scorpio has to offer because I can't get past the looks, but last I checked the LX 4x2 Dicor was a bit more expensive than the better spec'ed base Scorpio 2.6 in Trivandrum. The EX4x4 costs Rs.10L OTR and I don't think the Scorpio costs more than Rs.10L in any variant.
Old 15th January 2007, 10:54   #194
BANNED

W 12. Scorp is selling more because M&M has focussed all its attention on Scorp whereas in case of Tatas it's Ind*** which got all the attention. Also over the years Tata had rested their oars as far as Safari is concerned but now they seem to have waken up. Just wait for a year and you will see Safaris catching up with Scorps in number game. Safari sales are increasing steadily. As for problems associated with safaris or indi cas / gos , they seem grossly exaggerated. I know scores of friends and relatives who use Tata cars and they only have good things to say about their cars. I think for some reasons best known to them Indian automobile press has been very unfair to Tatas. I see them going over the top criticising Tata cars. They also go over the top praising anything from the house of Hondas and Toyotas, no matter how ugly or expensive they be. Don't know why?
Old 15th January 2007, 11:40   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

1. Also over the years Tata had rested their oars as far as Safari is concerned but now they seem to have waken up.

2. Just wait for a year and you will see Safaris catching up with Scorps in number game. Safari sales are increasing steadily.

3. I think for some reasons best known to them Indian automobile press has been very unfair to Tatas. I see them going over the top criticising Tata cars.

4. They also go over the top praising anything from the house of Hondas and Toyotas, no matter how ugly or expensive they be. Don't know why?
1.Exactly my point ..looks like Tatas took their safari buyers for granted till competition set their you know what on fire.

2. Lets wait and see. IMo both will grow their numbers.

3. You can say the same for Mahindra as well. ( when scorpio was launched the auto press kept harping on crash testing of scorpio..now dozens of automobiles / variants have been launched after that..do you hear about crash testing anymore in the press for others? )

4. I agree..It was pathetic to see the media praise the NHC with its anaemic engine because of its economy , BHP / ton and driveability, when Esteem with better numbers was shredded to bits day in and day out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks