View Poll Results: Safari DICOR/ Scorpio CRDE
Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2006, 21:04   #91
BHPian

This is one of the most evenly divided poll i have seen. I have voted for the Safari Dicor for its added comfort and space.
Old 26th September 2006, 00:33   #92
BHPian

Wow..This poll gets more intresting..at the time of my post it's even 73 votes each.

I know we have equal number of suppoters here.But Boy when I posted my vote (SAFARI) Safari was way behind Scorpio.I always though TATA's don't have enough supporters in teambhp (we are running a thread for protest TATAs !).

But looks like we have SAFARI supporters.:-)
Old 26th September 2006, 06:21   #93
Senior - BHPian

EH! I am patting myself on my back. LOL

Didnt ever think the poll would be such equally divided.

What does the current sales story say? what units sell more?
Old 28th September 2006, 11:13   #94
BHPian

Guys
Can you all give your opinion of these basic qualities of these two (Scorp/Safari) vehicles? Iam planning to get one of these and I had very high esteem of Scorpio esp with the new Lotus Suspension system and CRDe. But with latest price revision by Safari and its experience on the roads, Tata might have improved a lot. So Iam bit of confused...

1. Road Handling/Cornering/Stability (beyond 90+kmph)
2. Durability - Overall body/engine
3. Fuel Efficiency - average
4. Resale Value

Thanks.
Old 29th September 2006, 17:29   #95
NIP
Senior - BHPian

someone mentioned that the safari was a better offroader than the scorpio. i beg to differ...taking the safari on a bad road to avoid some traffic jam does not make it a capable offroader. i currently own a scorpio 2.6 dx done 30k kms. although its not a 4x4 variant, i've done some serious offroading and this vehicle can pull itself out of trouble almost everytime! (see my bhpgarage)

the safari suffers (tata sufferi...heheh jk) from too much weight and height, and like someone mentioned earlier, its like an elephant having a mudbath on rough terrains. it just dont have the grunt to get itself out of situations. someone also mentioned the masinagudi-ooty hairpins (kalhatty ghats). i do this stretch pretty often and trust me...i just tear up the cliff and dont need no ciggy break to cool my engine...! the scorp just loves this kinda beating and takes it without a whimper! i'm not so sure the safari can give you the same performance or even close to this on the same stretch.

of course, i'm only comparing it with the safari here...and not other (even cheaper) offroad vehicles. a force gurkha, mahindra major or gypsy king is what one should consider for serious offroading fun. and for those who have lotsa pappas blackmonies...the mitsubishi montero whould be fantastic!

Last edited by NIP : 29th September 2006 at 17:30.
Old 30th September 2006, 02:13   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
i currently own a scorpio 2.6 dx done 30k kms. although its not a 4x4 variant, i've done some serious offroading and this vehicle can pull itself out of trouble almost everytime! (see my bhpgarage)
Are you trying to convince us here that a RWD Scorpio will be better than a 4x4 Safari? There is no chance of that.
Old 30th September 2006, 02:48   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
the safari suffers (tata sufferi...heheh jk) from too much weight and height, and like someone mentioned earlier, its like an elephant having a mudbath on rough terrains.
Mahindra Scorpio CRDe
Gross Vehicle Weight - 2610 kg
Overall Height - 1916 mm
Ground clearance - 180 mm

Tata Safari Dicor EX 4x2
Gross Vehile Weight - 2650 kg
Overall Height - 1925 mm
Ground clearance - 195 mm

Kindly explain how the Mahindra Scorpio is the super-slim offroad jim here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
it just dont have the grunt to get itself out of situations.
Mahindra Scorpio CRDe
Max Power - 115 bhp @ 3,800 rpm
Max Torque - 278 nm @ 1700~2200 rpm

Tata Safari Dicor EX 4x2
Max Power - 115 bhp @ 3,000 rpm
Max Torque - 300 nm @ 1600 ~ 2000 rpm

Since it develops similar power and more torque - both at lower rpms - for the same body weight, how come the Safari 'just doesnt have the grunt' unless all grunts are equal but some grunts are more equal than the others?

We appreciate your love for your vehicle and the fact that you like to talk about its virtues. Making tall claims which bear no semblence to facts in order to rubbish other vehicles however is generally referred to by a term which I am not permitted to use under the rules of this forum.

This post has been made so that those that are reading this thread have the relevant facts before them. I do not wish to debate your assessment of your vehicle's capabilities.

As for the 4x2 v/s 4x4 claims ..... go ahead - we could use some entertainment here occassionally.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th September 2006 at 03:01.
Old 30th September 2006, 09:01   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
although its not a 4x4 variant, i've done some serious offroading and this vehicle can pull itself out of trouble almost everytime! (see my bhpgarage)

the safari suffers (tata sufferi...heheh jk) from too much weight and height, and like someone mentioned earlier, its like an elephant having a mudbath on rough terrains. it just dont have the grunt to get itself out of situations.
There's this very close friend of mine who has a scorpio & has been trying to convince me to get one despite the lack of safety equipment & 4wd. Logic being (like you're saying) - it can pull itself out of ANYTHING. Well, he goes up the slushy trails of uttaranchal quite often & guess what happened the last time around? He was STUCK in the mud & had to be TOWED OUT by a WW2 willys jeep, LOL! Of course he didn't tell me straightaway but sheepishly admitted during the course of a subsequent discussion we were having on 4X4!
Old 30th September 2006, 10:22   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mahindra Scorpio CRDe
Gross Vehicle Weight - 2610 kg
Overall Height - 1916 mm
Ground clearance - 180 mm

Tata Safari Dicor EX 4x2
Gross Vehile Weight - 2650 kg
Overall Height - 1925 mm
Ground clearance - 195 mm
Steeroid,

You must use the kerb weight, and not gross weight, when comparing the power/weight ratio. The Scorpios kerb weight is 1880 (1980 for 4x4), and the Safari tips the scales at 2115 (2225 for 4x4)

Quote:
i currently own a scorpio 2.6 dx done 30k kms. although its not a 4x4 variant, i've done some serious offroading and this vehicle can pull itself out of trouble almost everytime! (see my bhpgarage)
Serious is a relative term, but I can tell you that you really cannot do any hardcore off-roading in a 4x2 Scorpio.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2006 at 10:23.
Old 30th September 2006, 11:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
You must use the kerb weight, and not gross weight, when comparing the power/weight ratio. The Scorpios kerb weight is 1880 (1980 for 4x4), and the Safari tips the scales at 2115 (2225 for 4x4)
Thank you for the correction.

WHile on the subject how does the Safari have a much higher gradeability rating than the Scorpio? I see that the Scorp's gradeability is rated at 15 degrees (4x2) and 30 degrees (4x4) while the Safari claims 35% in 4x2 and 60% in 4x4 low?
Old 30th September 2006, 11:58   #101
Senior - BHPian

Looks are always subjective,however I feel mahindra have gone overboard with regard to the tail lamp design of the scorpio and To me it resembles a teenager suffering from acne.

However My pals like the design[rear] a lot and i have been teased a lot for my above conclusion.Me and my pals do agree with one point the red coloured new scorpio competes with a fire engine.

So looks wise[subjective] ,my view is New scorpio nowhere near the safari.
Old 30th September 2006, 13:00   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

WHile on the subject how does the Safari have a much higher gradeability rating than the Scorpio? I see that the Scorp's gradeability is rated at 15 degrees (4x2) and 30 degrees (4x4) while the Safari claims 35% in 4x2 and 60% in 4x4 low?
Yup, The gradeability (ability to climb a given angle in a stable manner) of the Safari is superior to the Scorpios . You have quoted the Safaris figures in % while the Scorpio is in degrees. Heres both their numbers in terms of percentage

Scorpio : 25% (50% of 4x4)
Safari : 35% (60% of 4x4)
Old 30th September 2006, 14:39   #103
BHPian

Umm.. I know this will seem like a stupid quetion but..what exactly does 'gradeability ' mean? is it the maximum incline that the vehicle can climb? or am i guessing way of the mark here?

Thanks,
Suhail
Old 30th September 2006, 15:22   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
scorpio 2.6 dx .. not a 4x4 variant, i've done some serious offroading and this vehicle can pull itself out of trouble almost everytime! (see my bhpgarage)
NIP, checked your bhpgarage - a gravel path and 4 inches of water can hardly be called off-roading.

Was searching for pics of a gypsy off-road, that I had seen on TBHP, but mean-while found these, incidentally posted by GTO.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/68005-post4.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/68180-post18.html

This is more like it.

Last edited by condor : 30th September 2006 at 15:25.
Old 30th September 2006, 18:18   #105
BHPian

Not a tough choice, really. The Dicor wins hands over fist any day. True, the torque spread 'tween gears is greater...but a less lazy leg working the clutch can over come that problem.
But, yes, if one does not leave town much, then the Scorpio wd be ok...you aren't really looking for an SUV then, and you dont need one on the good 'ol Home-Office-Home and then take-the-kids-out-for-an-ice cream routine, either.
The Mahindera dealer offered me a 4 month(!!) wait for the 4X4, while the Dicor (VX 4X4) was delivered to me in less than 2 weels flat! This also shows M&M's lack of any real commitment to the 'SUV' angle on their Scorpios...butch looks and size alone do not an SUV make.
The Dicor has a long list of pluses, which I have read in various places in this thread by various people already, so shan't go in to those all over again!
With my two-paise worth thrown in...
...Ciao!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks