View Poll Results: Safari DICOR/ Scorpio CRDE
Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2006, 21:40   #121
BHPian

i would go for safari anyday even with 3.0L DICOR as where i would use new 2.2L potential ???. There is not even a single place in Ludhiana and talking about highway 3.0L is enough for me. " 2. Butch looks. This has been solved to quite and extent and now Scorpio matches Safari in its looks." na i don't think so. ( personal point of view).
Old 1st October 2006, 22:19   #122
Senior - BHPian

NIP, all I can say is that I understand you love your vehicle as we all do ours, but to tout a Scorpio 4X2 as the BEST thing that ever happened.......dunno (my opinion).

Ranjit, I gotta talk to you, can you PM me your number? Steer & Nitin have pretty much filled me in on the Dicor but I'd like an update from you since your's is one of the new ones. By the way, 4X4 right, or have I mixed that up?

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
... If you want off roading get a Trax as it can put both the Safari and Scorpio to shame.
This thread is comparison 'twixt the Dicor and the Scorpio...bound to be better offroaders out there than either of these, but why go off topic?

Quote:
In terms of looks, they are subjective and down to individual tastes. I will say one thing though the Safari needs a drastic make over or should I say redesign. When I see one I always get flash backs of the late 1980s.
As the wise Chinaman once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Safari design (external) is a real eye-puller - especially in profile. As a proud new owner I notice drivers giving me the once over while passing....so while it may be "dated" it's still a great lookin' hunk of metal!

Cheerio!
Old 4th October 2006, 00:28   #124

http://www.verdictoncars.com/jsp/voc...=Tata%20Safari

says it all !!
Old 4th October 2006, 00:51   #125
BHPian

a safari is a true suv!!!i find hardly any comparison between the two!!!!!a brilliant suv to drive with its massive engine,impeccable stability&rock solid built.what else r u lokin for???
Old 4th October 2006, 07:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyboo
Well, that is a UK review. Even if it were to cost $15K in the US, with a 20seconds 0-100kmph, the Safari would be downright dangerous to merge in the expressways. Also, the competition is fierce.

But, for whatever reason, the Safari EX etc. cost more than an equivalent of $20K in India and the I4 Camry that costs $20K in the US costs $45K in India. May be these cars are taxed more in India, but if I can buy a Toyota 4 Runner V6 SR5 for $25K ex-showroom, I wouldn't be looking at the Safari at $23K in its current fit and finish.

But, since we are talking about India, in the Rs.10L segment SUV, the Safari offers a huge VFM. Just my opinion, though.
Old 4th October 2006, 07:34   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: Lets's not even think of getting one of our cars on US/UK roads. A 2.6L / 3.0L engine cranking out 109/115 bhp is never going to be enough amongst cars with sub 2.0L engines cranking out far more horse power.
Old 4th October 2006, 10:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you go by their verdicts you wouldnt be driving ANY of the models that are top sellers in India ! You'll then have to import all your wheels.
Old 4th October 2006, 11:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not the Dicor they are reviewing, its the old Safari. And, I don't think anyone is taking them too seriously because, as far as I know the Safari still sells in the UK
Old 4th October 2006, 18:15   #130
Jay
BHPian

The Dicor is anyday better when compared to the Scorpio... Feel more safe to travel in the Dicor, having driven the Scorpio, i would recommend the Dicor.
Old 4th October 2006, 23:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjit
This thread is comparison 'twixt the Dicor and the Scorpio...bound to be better offroaders out there than either of these, but why go off topic?

As the wise Chinaman once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The Safari design (external) is a real eye-puller - especially in profile. As a proud new owner I notice drivers giving me the once over while passing....so while it may be "dated" it's still a great lookin' hunk of metal!

Cheerio!
Why go off topic with off roading abilities of both vehicles when reality is that the vast majority of users never take them off road. Lets compare the vehicles in the context where the vast majority of users will use them. That is on the road. Also lets use the results of the cone test which clearly found the Safari was not the sure footed beast some of its nut-huggers appear to think it is.

It may have been an eye puller 10 years ago but no longer. In Punjab no one gives the Safari a second glance anymore. The only place I see them is on taxi stands. The back of the Safari has been truly broken. No wonder they have had to resort to drastic price cuts.
Old 5th October 2006, 12:14   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Why go off topic with off roading abilities of both vehicles when reality is that the vast majority of users never take them off road. Lets compare the vehicles in the context where the vast majority of users will use them. That is on the road. Also lets use the results of the cone test which clearly found the Safari was not the sure footed beast some of its nut-huggers appear to think it is.
Well, a vast majority of users wouldn't put their vehicles through situations where one needs to rely on the cone test results. You know for a big vehicle like Safari, Scorpio etc. handling is over-rated. IIRC, the Scorpio also has better braking than the Safari. However, the Safari wins hands down as a whole package. I expect to use the 4x4 mode on a regular basis at least twice a day, so I think the Safari currently has no equivalent in India.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:04   #133
BHPian

Quote:
This discussion is going on between the "tiny minority" of owners who actually DO use their Safaris for a bit of off-road fun. And to give you an idea of what I mean by 'off-road fun" take a look at some of my pics in a Landcruiser ute - agreed, the Dicor might not make it over those "roads" at all http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/42995.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/42996.jpg

OR
for all those pics:http://www.snapdrive.net/myfiles/

Ciao.
Old 5th October 2006, 19:36   #134
BHPian

Quote:
that review is with respect to UK road condition and the comparision of safari with international counterparts.
All we know none of our indian Vehicle is manufactured to meet international market in mind.(but still it sells in U.k).

This Poll and thread is just to compare the Scorpio and the Dicor in in the indian road condition.
Old 6th October 2006, 01:18   #135
Senior - BHPian

Looks are subjective, but I'm sure that 10 out of 10 people will agree that the Safari has more road presence than a Scorpio- because it does. And 9 out of those 10 people would still find the Safari attractive. And at least 5 of them would think it's still classy.

ACI tested the DICOR on the cones, not the TCIC. The TCIC was, and still is, more sure footed. Let the 2.2 arrive, and if Tata manages to drop the Kerb weight to 1900 kgs, then see who comes out trumps. And as for the off-roadability, consider this- the Safari can pull itself out of more tricky situations than the Scorpio. I know so, because I've experienced both. What is associated with the likes of Classic and Trax is ruggedness. Please don't mix off-road ABILITY with ruggedness. A Gypsy can go through rough patches much faster than anything in the country. That does not mean that the Safari or Scorpio cannot counter the same patches. They can, just not at the same pace. Both can go off-road; just not rally-style. Would you picture the Bowler Wildcat as a better off-roader than the Land Rover? I don't think so. They're equally capable, just that one is faster.

If off-roadability is defined by the rate of velocity, at which odd patches of terrain that seem un-tractable by normal machines, are covered by, then custom 4x4 ATVs, Dune buggies and the Bigfoot would be ranked as the best. Which is not the case. We're talking about daily drive SUV's that can go off-road when required. So let's not bring in Traxes and Gypsies to question Scorpio's and Safari's off-road capabilities.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks