Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 19:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Believe in re-birth? Which old car would you bring back?

"FIAT Padmini-GenX" Give a thought
I always dream about this fantasy. The way FIAL made Fiat-500(exact replica of old Fiat500) FIAL should remake a CAR which will be exact replica of Premier Padmini with Model name as FIAT Padmini-GenX. (Fiat Padmini- Generation X)
The exterior of the CAR should be exactly similar to Padmini. Same shape, same cabin, front and back from outside (same steel bumpers, handles, steel beedings ). But the FIAT Padmini-GenX will only look like Premier Padmini but it will be totally a modern CAR.

1. It will be powered with 1.4L FIRE petrol / 1.3L diesel Multijet engine which is used in Grande Punto or Palio.
2. It will have total new technology dash board similar to Punto/Palio.
3. Power steering, power windows, Rear Wiper, A/C, CD player etc.
4. Option for Floor / Hand gear Model
5. Bucket seats (but elevated so that the corners of the headlamp can be seen) with completely new interior.
6. Central Locking, latest handles
7. Radial tyres with old wheel caps but disc braking system
8. Remote bonet, rear dicky and Fuel Lid opener
9. Color schemes in two versions -
A. All old model colors (plain) which were very popular
B. Latest metallic colors of Punto, Palio, Linea
10. Crystal clear lens /glass Headlamps, LED Tail Lamps
11. Same radiator grill but with all new FIAT red color logo instead of PAL
12. All new high grade rust proof metallic body.
13. Telescopic dual effect suspensions etc etc
I am dam sure if FIAT India gives serious thought, Il bet they will sell this model minimum 500 /per month all over India and
for next 10-20 years. But only they should not put cost too high like Fiat-500 (approx 15 Lakhs). If they limit the petrol
version cost to 3 to 3.5 Lakhs and Diesel version to 4 to 4.5 Lakhs then it will be a huge success.
Fiat&Me is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 20:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I would love to see the Mahindra Classic and the HM Contessa make a comeback.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 20:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 'Any other'.

Today morning when I was driving to office, I was thinking exactly about this. Which car to bring back? I own a 7 year old Palio and then my thought went to the future where I saw myself putting it back to life. May be I'll need to hibernate it for some long time and then resurrect it when there are no Palios anymore. May be my kid will use it for going to college/work.. Guess this is one car one should save for the future.

BTW, why is no Contessa listed in the poll?

Last edited by clevermax : 13th March 2012 at 20:28.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 20:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sierra ! The one vehicle in India that had a 1-to-1 relationship with the driver.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:36   #35
BHPian

I voted others and I just think the fiat adventure ought to be reintroduced, perhaps in a modern avatar. It's such an amazing vehicle. 190 mm of GC with the butch bull bar, 4 fog lamps, roof rails built in, awesomely stylish and all with the amazing 1.6 engine, superb suspensions at a value for money price point. Till today, I don't see a car which has all these features , the comfort and drive ability of a sedan and the looks and ability of a small suv. Come to think of it , the GC was higher than scorpio ! Only the aria and safari have a GC higher than the fiat adventure.

I have owned one and have driven it from Bangalore to Ladakh and back and simply can't find a replacement - the car met with a accident last week, head on with a crazy truck, but my wife and kid escaped with not a scratch. The car took the brunt entirely and is a total loss its just become so much more valuable for all of us now in the family, and we just can't find a replacement.

So quite easily, my vote is for the fiat adventure
Old 13th March 2012, 21:31   #36
BHPian

For me its the contessa as it was one of a kind indian made car having muscle car look. The tata sierra would count as a close second for me. Don't know how much practical would it be to launch the contessa now, bt the sierra with a new age engine and correct pricing similar to the bolero could give the bolero a run for it money.
Old 13th March 2012, 21:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Mondeo, which was a great handling car I used to love reading about it in OD and Autocar in those days. Would love to have a chance to TD one, if not buy one.
Others that I nominate for the re-birth jadoo are :
The mighty BMW e34!
The Octavia with a more powerful diesel mill.
The Standard 2000
Old 13th March 2012, 21:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

I feel Ford Fusion can easily make a comeback but only if Ford decides to do so. Those who say its overpriced should look at i20, Yeti, etc. and compare it featurewise and enginewise with Fusion which was launched 7yrs ago.
Anyway Ford is launching EcoSport and rightly so as Fusion needed a facelift if launched today. Its really interesting to see that XUV (not XUV5OO) space is still lying almost empty with no practical and VFM alternative despite all the talk.

Last edited by carwatcher : 13th March 2012 at 21:47.
Old 13th March 2012, 21:56   #39
BHPian

voted for "any other".

i really think the subaru forester aka chevorlet forester in india probably with one of those diesel boxers engines powering the current subarus will be a rage.

think of what one gets: rally pedigree, subaru AWD, relatively high GC, handling, power, the boxer noise (not sure about the diesel engine though!)

with the current popularity of the SUV / soft roaders it would also be more in keeping with the market trend..
Old 13th March 2012, 23:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Voted for 'Any other'.

BTW, why is no Contessa listed in the poll?
My bad, I missed out Contessa and Premier Padmini from the list and later realized that new options cannot be added to the poll. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat&Me View Post
"FIAT Padmini-GenX" Give a thought
I always dream about this fantasy.

5. Bucket seats (but elevated so that the corners of the headlamp can be seen) with completely new interior.
What about height adjustable seat instead. Personally I find Premier Padmini's seat high enough to see the corners and I am not really a tall guy. I also doubt that with the existing body shape and GC whether the Padmini will be able to handle corners well with new the speed the 'Genx' Padmini will be capable of.

I am kinda shocked to see very less votes for Tata Estate.
Old 13th March 2012, 23:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
I voted others and I just think the fiat adventure ought to be reintroduced, perhaps in a modern avatar. It's such an amazing vehicle. 190 mm of GC with the butch bull bar, 4 fog lamps, roof rails built in, awesomely stylish and all with the amazing 1.6 engine, superb suspensions at a value for money price point. Till today, I don't see a car which has all these features , the comfort and drive ability of a sedan and the looks and ability of a small suv. Come to think of it , the GC was higher than scorpio ! Only the aria and safari have a GC higher than the fiat adventure.

I have owned one and have driven it from Bangalore to Ladakh and back and simply can't find a replacement - the car met with a accident last week, head on with a crazy truck, but my wife and kid escaped with not a scratch. The car took the brunt entirely and is a total loss its just become so much more valuable for all of us now in the family, and we just can't find a replacement.

So quite easily, my vote is for the fiat adventure
Totally agree with your points. No match for Adventure.
Very sad to hear about the accident. You will miss her. :(
Old 13th March 2012, 23:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Totally agree with your points. No match for Adventure.
It was the best looking estate ever on our roads, but people look at it as yet another version of the Sienna/Palio. IIRC, it came in tremendous looking colours as well.

P.S: clevermax, the flash on your Avatar camera rox
Old 14th March 2012, 00:16   #43

I voted for MSIL Esteem and Chevy SRV.
Own them both.
I own an Lx version of the Esteem, btw ( 12-13 year old model ), and I'd want to see a facelift, which should retain the original look of the car, and should come with an HPS. Absolutely love the HPS in my SRV and the Non-assisted steering wheel in my Esteem.

Btw, I bought Pulse RxZ on Sunday.
Didn't mention it in the 'I booked a Car' thread, because if I did, then I'd have to write an ownership repot on it. Too lazy , but I guess I'll have to write one now :|

So, I've got 2 unique cars in my garage now ( SRV and Pulse ). Ohh yea!

And Yes of course, who wouldn't want to see 'Mondeo' on the streets again.
And what about Opel 'Vectra'.
I supremely adored both of these, but they didn't really sell well. Anachronism?
Old 14th March 2012, 05:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Voted for any other. Some of the cars that i would love to see them back for nostalgic reasons are:

118NE - Low strung, and those aggressive looks.
Old Jelly bean Zen - Small, cute, and fun to drive especially on a smooth highway.

Skoda Octavia - I can buy this one, this was the most reliable cars from Skoda stable ever.
Old 14th March 2012, 06:53   #45
BHPian

Just saw the title of the thread and first name that came to my mind was Tata Sierra. May be Tata should look at a X2 platform based Sierra. More mascular fenders something like DC's Sierra Karma.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks