Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 14:52   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Believe in re-birth? Which old car would you bring back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The Ford Ikon 1.6 SXi NXT.
+ Superb steering
+ Torquey motor with great low end grunt and reasonable FE
+ Excellent poise and handling
+ Slick gear shifts
+ Well built
- Maintenance costs were a bummer
- Brakes were poor
- No safety kit
Oh I second that one. But yes, with better safety kit.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

strange to see the OHC missing in the poll- anyday would go for a Type 2 OHC
Old 15th March 2012, 18:09   #78
BHPian

I would love to see the Ford Fusion get back into production. I currently own the 1.6 Petrol and it is simply brilliant. I know that the EcoSport would be stepping in soon, but the Fusion obviously falls a segment below. Plus, the number of buyers looking for a mini-SUV/MPV is also on the rise, and in that case the Fusion is a terrific option.
Old 15th March 2012, 19:02   #79
BHPian

Bring me back the TATA Sierra!

But before that, TATA should first wake up and actively address, once and for all, the public cries on low quality, poor workmanship and unsatisfactory A.S.S.

After that, I suggest TATA to do these:
  1. Remove the Indica tag from the much underrated Vista. Make modern styling updates on the exterior, alike the Vista at the 11th Auto Expo 2012. I do love my Vista Surprise Sedan Class, but there's lots of scope for improvement when it comes to the exterior styling.
  2. Remove the Indigo tag from the Manza and give it a macho but sporty look. Right now the car looks plain bulky and overweight! TATA can take inspiration from the Sx4's styling, for example.
  3. Phase out the Aria. It is suffering from depressingly dismal sales figures anyways. TATA should then design an all-new Safari on the Aria platform. They should not at any cost cut-paste the existing Safari body onto the Aria! Instead, consider an all new deadly looking, modern SUV styling, but with emphasis on luxury, alike the Aria. Heck, they can reuse all of Aria, except for the body!
    The 2012 Tata Safari looks like very effeminate compared to the earlier model’s aging but still-so-gorgeous looks.
  4. Phase out the Sumo Grande too. It isn’t going places either. IMHO the names Sumo, Indica and Indigo should be relegated to the models meant for the utility and taxi segment. TATA should also stop trying to sell these to private car owners.
    Again, just like in point 3 above, TATA can use the Grande and bring it back in an updated Sierra costume, with the Sierra name tag. They need to keep the overall looks of the New Sierra similar to the legendary precursor, at the same time engineer it to be a thoroughbred SUV. Maybe Behram Dhabhar sir can start another thread titled "What would you like in the all new Tata Sierra" and take inputs from all the Sierra fans here (just like he did for the Mahindra Thar).
  5. And finally, market the Xenon fervently.

TATA is losing the luster that it once commanded. But, I sincerely believe that TATA is extremely capable of pouncing back to the pinnacle of the Indian automotive scene!

PS: I am a very happy Vista owner, but it is sad when TATA is undermined far beyond it deserves to be.

Last edited by Miel : 15th March 2012 at 19:04.
Old 15th March 2012, 20:58   #80
BANNED

I would love the original TATAMOBILE with the 2.2 Dicor. Didn'r really like the TL with the increase ground clearence. The original was better. The original one could be registered as a private vehicle in the begining. Later it was only allowed as a goods vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-mhv_tatamobile_207_01.jpg  

Old 16th March 2012, 03:27   #81
BHPian

I voted for 'Others' . My first car was a Standard Herald! Can I have it back please?
regards,
Ashok
Old 19th March 2012, 09:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Ceilo and the Esteem. Ceilo was my dream car when, well, I was in school. Esteem is the car that I own currently. The low seating is a problem, but love to drive it!
Old 19th March 2012, 10:54   #83
BHPian

Baleno which is a very underrated car and also Opel Astra which was one of the first luxury cars in India.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Tata sierra for sure! My dad owned 2 of them. Initially he bought it as soon as it was launched. After about 50k, he sold it and then bought the turbo version. I'm proud to say that I learned to drive in the tata sierra turbo and even till date I relish the experience! Yes, the overall fit and finish, engine refinement were the main issues but back in 1998, there were hardly any refined diesels. It was also priced reasonably-> at about 6.7 lakhs OTR coimbatore, it made much more sense than the Peugeot 309GLD which was a whopping 7.7 lakhs, with hardly any features!
I know tata will not do it, but if they could, then they should have it based on a shorter Aria platform and at about 10-11 lakhs OTR it would turn decent volumes. But then it would almost nullify whatever sales that safari storme is destined to get. Couldnt they have actually tried a sierra-esque look on the TL84 or whatever it is called now?
Old 19th March 2012, 22:04   #85
BHPian

Tata Sierra again. Found this on Facebook today.

Can Tata Motors Introduce a Mini SUV Through Reviving the Sierra? - Video
Old 20th March 2012, 10:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

The one single car I would like to have back on the streets in a brand new avatar is the OHC Type 2. And the VTEC one while they're at it. I've owned the 1.3 in the past and boy it was one gem of a car. A smart designed, mechanical marvel, no-nonsense car for your everyday travel. Only if Honda could release a Limited Edition "Re-birth A Classic" program, I will be the first one to sign up for it Would love to the see the OHC back. I am sure a lot of people on this forum would agree to this! Is HONDA listening ?!
Old 20th March 2012, 11:00   #87
Team-BHP Support

1> HM Contessa
2> Tata Sierra with better build quality and less niggles
3> Maruti Baleno with MGP spares instead of the SGP ones
4> Ford Ikon 1.6
5> Mahindra Armada
6> Honda City VTEC
Old 20th March 2012, 11:41   #88
BHPian

I would bring back the old Octavia RS. It looked awesome, and had thrilling performance. I still search out and read old reviews of the Octy RS. I hope the next gen Octavia brings back the square lines, keeps (or even enhances) that lovely turbo petrol engine and generally be a driver's delight.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:40   #89
BHPian

1) HM Contessa
2) Ford mondeo
3) Fiat Palio S2 1.6
Old 20th March 2012, 12:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

Only one car comes to mind- the Standard 2000- This time with a modern 2L CRDI mill, ABS, Airbags and subtle styling tweaks to make the car more in tune with the times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks