Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 21:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I am not as wise as most here but I would still love to see a modern take on:
Tata Estate - since that is one segment I truly believe in and I feel India had now matured enough to handle estates they really are spacious and elegant compared to a ghastly MUV or soft roader
This is one segment that most of the manufacturers have tried and got their hands burnt- probably one of the most consistent customer response our industry has ever seen!

Tata tried again with Indigo Marina, Opel tried with Corsa Swing, Fiat tried with Adventure, Skoda tried with Octavia Combi, Maruti tried with Baleno Altura. Not sure if I missed out any, since every one of these are a rare specimen on the road. Marina may be an exception, since there are enough Marina cabs out there doing airport duty to take it out of the rare category but I've rarely seen a Marina with private plates.

Quote:
Honda Civic - I don't believe an explanation is in order. :P
Isn't Civic still in production?
Old 5th January 2013, 21:18   #182
Senior - BHPian

Premier Padmini : IMO this was our first Compact Sedan and not Indigo CS.
Better built with more features , with 3cyl ddis maybe.

II8NE
Peuguot 309 GLD
FIAT UNO
Opel Astra
Old 5th January 2013, 21:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
This is one segment that most of the manufacturers have tried and got their hands burnt- probably one of the most consistent customer response our industry has ever seen!

Tata tried again with Indigo Marina, Opel tried with Corsa Swing, Fiat tried with Adventure, Skoda tried with Octavia Combi, Maruti tried with Baleno Altura. Not sure if I missed out any, since every one of these are a rare specimen on the road. Marina may be an exception, since there are enough Marina cabs out there doing airport duty to take it out of the rare category but I've rarely seen a Marina with private plates.

Isn't Civic still in production?
Yes I do understand but that is why I said that I think our market may finally have matured enough for such a product. I mean no one has tried again in a while.
I was under the impression that civic is no longer in production
Old 5th January 2013, 22:27   #184
Senior - BHPian

Zen - This car should never have been discontinued. It had everything right. Brilliant engine, perfect gear ratios, fantastic handling, great agility along with comfortable seats good looks and Maruti Service. The Swift isn't as involving to drive as the Zen. This is partly due to the weak bottom end of the K12 engine and mainly due to its tallboy shape (when compared to Zen). There there are visibility issues, harsh ride, tall gearing, rattling isues and some more.

There is no car that is a replace ZEN. The handling (<80kmph) is just phenomenal. The Figo could be if it had a proper engine.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 23:18   #185
Team-BHP Support

My previous post expressed my love for certain brands like Lancia and Saab. However, I had no idea that this was in the Indian context.

As far as I'm concerned, there are a few cars that I'd love to see being sold here again:

- Subaru / Chevrolet Forester: Yes, it's wrong on so many levels. The primary one being that it runs on petrol. But the idea of owning a car that's powered by a Subaru Boxer engine mated to four-wheel-drive is an absolutely mouth-watering prospect. I've heard that the car has some issues though but I'm sure some TLC will ensure that she remains in good nick.

- Suzuki Zen Carbon / Steel: Impractical, sure. But does it really matter?

- Ford Mondeo: Too early for its time, perhaps? It even came with a diesel motor during the time when the dated Accord made hay.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th January 2013 at 23:19.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 10:20   #186
BHPian

Re: Believe in re-birth? Which old car would you bring back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat&Me View Post
"FIAT Padmini-GenX" Give a thought
I always dream about this fantasy.

Absolutely.You've hit the nail on the head. I have been arguing this case too, and feel that this will be the car to rescue Fiat and probably premier auto as well. Maybe they can revive their joint venture for this car. The proportions of this car are beautiful, a sort of mini sedan, narrow enough for city driving, and short enough for tax cuts. I think they should forget aerodynamics, and concentrate on reliabilty and build quality, a modern building process, as well as easy serviceability. The simpler they keep it, the better. Fiat must do what Renault Nissan is doing with Datsun brand. I will surely buy it if they make this car.
Dr Durga Prasan
Old 7th January 2013, 10:49   #187
BHPian

I would like to see the Tata Sierra making a comeback maybe with the 2.2DICOR heart. The stance of the vehicle was excellent and was ahead of the times.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:01   #188
BHPian

The Landmaster, the Mahindra Classic and low riding sedans such as the Esteem and the S.E.X.Y Lancer. Oh wait, The hunk Mr Contessa too! Just love its stance.
Old 10th January 2013, 18:15   #189
Senior - BHPian

Re: Believe in re-birth? Which old car would you bring back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgaprasan View Post
Absolutely.You've hit the nail on the head. I have been arguing this case too, and feel that this will be the car to rescue Fiat and probably premier auto as well. Maybe they can revive their joint venture for this car. The proportions of this car are beautiful, a sort of mini sedan, narrow enough for city driving, and short enough for tax cuts. I think they should forget aerodynamics, and concentrate on reliabilty and build quality, a modern building process, as well as easy serviceability. The simpler they keep it, the better. Fiat must do what Renault Nissan is doing with Datsun brand. I will surely buy it if they make this car.
Dr Durga Prasan
Add to that a rear-wheel drive platform at an affordable price. They will probably also have to give the car disc brakes and coil sprung rear suspension.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 13:57   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Zen for sure, pre-facelift model. I am a die-hard fan of this car & as somebody on the thread remarked that it had everything right: The looks, engine, comfort, handling, fuel efficiency & Maruti service! It still enjoys a cult status among all hatchbacks, is dirt cheap to run & inexpensive spares too. Totally a driver's car. Good to see that it still commands respect even from people who own bigger & expensive cars...that should be a feat for a small hatchback...right?

Other cars that I would like to see on road too is the 12 Valve, 5-speed Maruti 800, for its spit fire attitude; Fiat Uno, but with a powerful & peppy engine.

From the older fleet, A Standard 2000, but this time with a powerful & well-mated Diesel Powerplant, so that performance matches the looks of the car.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 17:55   #191
MHG
BHPian

I say discontinue the Estilo and the A-Star, and bring a better looking car based on the current-gen Alto platform (I'd say something like the JDM Suzuki Lapin or the Chinese facelift Alto) and brand it as the Zen. This will be a true reincarnation.
Old 6th April 2013, 23:49   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say the Fiat Palio 1.6. That was an awesome car for the driving enthusiasts. It had the capability of putting many costlier cars into shame in the highways. When i was in my college i always wanted to buy this car as soon as i get a job. By the time i got my first job the car was no longer into production! If still Fiat brings this car into production i will buy it.
Old 7th April 2013, 11:10   #193
BHPian

It has to be Tata Siera. Tata actually launched it when the Indian market wasn't mature enough for the car, NOW is the time I believe. If re worked incorporating current contemporary features and good power it can beat many hand down.
Old 7th April 2013, 21:19   #194
BHPian

The CJ3B and the RD 350, definitely
Old 7th April 2013, 21:58   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Tata tried again with Indigo Marina, Opel tried with Corsa Swing, Fiat tried with Adventure, Skoda tried with Octavia Combi, Maruti tried with Baleno Altura....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Yes I do understand but that is why I said that I think our market may finally have matured enough for such a product. I mean no one has tried again in a while....
Isn't the Ertiga an Estate kind of car with 3 row seating if you come to think of it. It's like any of the Estates mentioned above, but with a third row of seats !

I wonder if the Ertiga would be doing so well if it were a 5 seater, even though i'm sure 80% of the people who own the car would hardly ever use the third row.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks