Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 06:27   #196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

Isn't the Ertiga an Estate kind of car with 3 row seating if you come to think of it. It's like any of the Estates mentioned above, but with a third row of seats !

I wonder if the Ertiga would be doing so well if it were a 5 seater, even though i'm sure 80% of the people who own the car would hardly ever use the third row.
We are conditioned to want more space in our cars. Whether people actually use the last row or not is immaterial. What is important is that it should be there.
Even highly evolved people, who have lived abroad and appreciate safety and everything else, but, who may have extended families in India, would prefer if possible to get a 7 seater just on account of that 'once-in-a-while' scenario...

Yes the Opel Swing was there, as was the Octy Combi, the Fiat Adventure, Siena Weekend, Tata Indigo Marina, Baleno Altura etc, but for some reason the 'Station Wagon' or 'Estate' never took off in India the way the Van or Multi-utility vehicle did. One reason possibly is that the Van or MUV in general sits much higher and offers a more commanding view than a typical car based Estate, which facts are actually more comfy for elderly people and overweight people etc, which typically make up our average Indian family...
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 09:00   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Yes I do understand but that is why I said that I think our market may finally have matured enough for such a product. I mean no one has tried again in a while.
I was under the impression that civic is no longer in production
Market may have matured, but our honorable Finance minister seems to have regressed to his kindergarten, considering his 'suv tax' policy. With this higher tax Tata wont be able to price the revamped Estate competitively. Yes its a mouth watering prospect to get hold of a 2 door SUV with enough greenhouse, and can be a lifestyle statement for many.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:35   #198
BHPian

For me it will be the Tata Sierra as well as the Contessa.
Both of them were "gangsta" cars and with the right paint & custom job would make anyone drool for hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My previous post expressed my love for certain brands like Lancia and Saab. However, I had no idea that this was in the Indian context.

As far as I'm concerned, there are a few cars that I'd love to see being sold here again:
- Ford Mondeo: Too early for its time, perhaps? It even came with a diesel motor during the time when the dated Accord made hay.
Suhaas Sir I nearly forgot this beauty!
It was a real looker and I believe it still looks awesome! I was very young when these Blue Oval launched it and still very young when this brand died its unnatural death.

Last edited by turbospooler : 8th April 2013 at 09:49. Reason: Adding another reply
Old 8th April 2013, 10:26   #199
BHPian

dear all
for me its the Land Rover defender, since all the dies and technology is with the TATA's. The product can be customized for developing countries - would'nt i love that
Attached Thumbnails
Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-tuninglandroverdefenderlimitededition06.jpg  

maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 10:29   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

We are conditioned to want more space in our cars. Whether people actually use the last row or not is immaterial. What is important is that it should be there.
Even highly evolved people, who have lived abroad and appreciate safety and everything else, but, who may have extended families in India, would prefer if possible to get a 7 seater just on account of that 'once-in-a-while' scenario...

Yes the Opel Swing was there, as was the Octy Combi, the Fiat Adventure, Siena Weekend, Tata Indigo Marina, Baleno Altura etc, but for some reason the 'Station Wagon' or 'Estate' never took off in India the way the Van or Multi-utility vehicle did. One reason possibly is that the Van or MUV in general sits much higher and offers a more commanding view than a typical car based Estate, which facts are actually more comfy for elderly people and overweight people etc, which typically make up our average Indian family...
Ah the baleno altura it was actually a looker and so was the octy combi with the alloys that it came with.
I am still marveling at the lack of estates :P they are based on a companies existing sedans so less development costs, and since they are relatively closer to the road, they offer genuine "car-like" handling, better ride, performance, greener fuel consumption and emisions. And also look good. As far as I can see, the muv comes only with two advantages: gc for really bad roads and better ingress/egress :/

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th April 2013 at 10:34.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:29   #201
BHPian

Quiet an interesting discussion. But I have a different take on this topic. All these cars were made for a time and in a good or bad way they had their time under the sun. I do not see myself as a customer for any of these cars from the bygone era. I am assuming we are talking about bringing them back as they were and not doing a Mini thingie.

But I certainly do feel that some cars/ideas were way ahead of their time. Fiat Palio Adventure is the first one that comes to mind. BTW this is what the new version of it in Brazil looks like.
Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-01.jpg

And like many others mentioned Tata Sierra was a true recreational vehicle and would like to see a modernized and shrunk version.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 10:47   #202
BHPian

Still miss Maruti 800 which was fun to drive and would have been a breeze in today's traffic prevalent conditions!
Old 16th October 2014, 17:08   #203
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars/Bikes that we want to see again on our roads

There have been automobiles which were launched in India way ahead of its times. As a result, they could not garner much sales and were discontinued. However, many of these machines hold a special status in an enthusiast's heart.

So through this thread, let us list out the cars/bikes which we feel were way ahead of its times. And if launched today, they would definitely garner much more sales and also they would definitely act as great brand-building tools for their respective manufacturers.

Here's my list:

1. Tata Sierra Turbo (maybe with a 2.2 Dicor heart, this can very well become an aspirational Tata car)
2. Chevrolet Forester (the best handling 4x4, perhaps?)
3. Opel Vectra (no particular reason, but I loved this car and wish Opel makes a comeback with the Vectra)
4. Yamaha RD350 (Yamaha please bring this back, there will be enough takers I promise !! )
5. Kinetic Blaze (the market still has not grown up for big scooters, but this really was the superbike among the scooters)

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th October 2014 at 18:07. Reason: Thread existed - post moved to the existing thread ;)
//M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 20:29   #204
BHPian

1. Ford mondeo
2. Standard 2000
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 20:56   #205
BHPian

Tata Sierra (perfect for current 6 - 8l bracket and as a proper suv)

Fiat Padmini (nostalgic first family car value)

Lots of classic cars on the list to revive but these choices are from an Indian point of view.
Old 16th October 2014, 21:09   #206
Senior - BHPian

The Sipani Dolphin and the Suzuki "The boss" Shogun!
Old 16th October 2014, 21:21   #207
BHPian

Ford Mondeo
Contessa (but this time by an efficient manufacturer please!)
Yamaha RD 350 (caption says 'car' ; but couldn't keep this beauty away)
Old 17th October 2014, 00:19   #208
BHPian

Ambassador!

When we went to kodaikanal, the unbelievable ride in ambassador in worst roads made me fall in love with the car. The ride quality even a innova could not match (In my humble opinion).

I would not want to drive it, but love the comfort and ride quality in backseat.
Old 17th October 2014, 01:04   #209
BHPian

I always wanted a Plymouth Prowler. It looked like something Batman would drive; admittedly the lack of sales probably saw its death. I still think it was a very cool car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymout...uth_Square.jpg
Old 17th October 2014, 06:12   #210
BHPian

Love the Zen to be brought back.. Of course I am talking about the old Zen, and not the estillo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks