I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 13:25   #136
mgh
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

The Supreme Court is listening to technical morons masquerading as experts, egged on by NGOs with hidden agendas. Unfortunately, the SC is believing so-called 'experts' propped up by NGOs, assuming that NGOs have social good at heart.
Unfortunately, the activist NGOs have anything but social good at heart. The NGOs doing social good, go about their work, nobody asks them anything.
Old 18th May 2012, 13:30   #137
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Case 2:
While travelling with your family at night you step out to buy something parking your car somewhere and the entire public can see that your 'wife' or girlfriend is ALL ALONE. It boils me down when I think of this.
I don't know about case 1 and 3 but I have frequently left my wife in car and went to pick up few things. Never faced any issues from public. My car has no tints.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 13:35   #138
BHPian

I understand the concern that the government has about the tints on our cars. Some of them are blacker than the blackest and this is not at all a good thing for the cops if you want to do something fishy or to you while driving in the rain. But I really wish the same government has the same concern for polluting vehicles like the 2 stroke auto rikshaws, trucks and what not. Why isn't the government showing the same concern for the environment too? I think that is more important than asking someone to take a thin line of tint out of their vehicles.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:07   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005
My concern is for women itself travelling in cars.

Case 1
Case 2
Case 3

We completely lost the privacy.

At any cost women should come up and protest against this. How could Supreme court be so dump? But as a law abiding citizen and to avoid contempt of court I have removed it.
Come on, India isn't a country of psychos waiting to pounce on any woman seen in public!
You seem paranoid about the "privacy" thing.
If sun films are taken off, at the most only two things will happen; your AC will take a little longer to cool the car, and your car will look a little less cooler.
one-77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 15:13   #140
BHPian

Why cant they help us get rid of traffic jams instead of all this? Provide us with better footpaths?

Where is our country going?
Old 18th May 2012, 15:14   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't know about case 1 and 3 but I have frequently left my wife in car and went to pick up few things. Never faced any issues from public. My car has no tints.
You do realize that there is a HUGE difference between Pune and other large cities (e.g. Delhi) in the aspect of security of women / eve teasing etc.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:18   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Case 2, yes wont happen as such. I was just pointing out a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Come on, India isn't a country of psychos waiting to pounce on any woman seen in public!
You seem paranoid about the "privacy" thing.
If sun films are taken off, at the most only two things will happen; your AC will take a little longer to cool the car, and your car will look a little less cooler.
On both of your quotes - See if you can claim the same, then I can also say that i have never seen any woman getting raped in a car with sunfilm nor terrorists. But based on some instances in Northern India SC has taken the decision of banning sunfilms. You can be happy that you havent had any bad personal experiences, but as a bare minimum women drivers will be chased at night times by 'cool' dudes. Why to say too much, how about the ugly stare ? India isnt a country of psychos, but there are quite a few pyschos. After sunset not just dogs get violent, even some psychic men too.
Old 18th May 2012, 17:08   #143
BHPian

Just received a mail from some folks and was very happy to see the extension of the deadline. see the mail below:

The Bangalore traffic police have extended the deadline to remove sun films from window screens of cars, to June 5.

“We have decided to extend the deadline as the public and several organisations have requested us to stretch the deadline to June 5,” said City Police CommissionerB G Jyothiprakash Mirji, on Thursday.

The move comes in the wake of the Supreme Court order that prohibits use of sun films or any Visual Light Transmission material on safety glasses, windscreens and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.

The City police had earlier set May 19 as the deadline.

After June 5, a fine of Rs 300 will be slapped on drivers for violating the rule. Motorists will have to cough up Rs 500 for committing the offence a second time. If the act is repeated for the third time, the police will seize the vehicle.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-extended.html
Old 18th May 2012, 18:33   #144
SAS
BHPian

My tints are within the legal limit of 70% VLT, however since they were not put by the manufacturer, I'll ground the car and use public transport / my bike till either a stay is issued or a law is enacted.

I'll however use my car till they start catching people and fining them. It's going to be an interesting proposition in peak hour Mumbai traffic, so let's see how that goes.

It is irrational to expect Indians run their vehicles without any sunfilm. The tropical climate is a killer. More crimes are committed indoors than in moving cars. What next, remove all doors and windows from residential houses???
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 20:16   #145
BHPian

I hope this rule applies to even those who drive with a red beacon on top.
I can see the logic behind rear and front side removal but side ones should have been allowed to continue.
What happens to those screens put in some luxury cars?
Old 18th May 2012, 22:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
My concern is for women itself travelling in cars.

Case 1 ;
Women driving back from office after say 9 or 10pm. Take my word for it, this new rule will spell disaster. There will be 100's of peeping eyes at traffic signals and lots of women drivers will be chased and what not to follow.

Its a truth. Peeping toms wont let you drive at peace. Then a CM like the Delhi one would come and say, ladies should not work and drive at night.

Blore has lady drivers who commute alone at late evenings and nights. At best is not to be noticed.

For a couple of stray incidents, its sad that the SC has taken a generalistic stance. I hope some sense would prevail on the legal/legislature. But it would be sad, if that sense comes after few lady drivers are harassed and some tragic incident happens on the road.
Old 19th May 2012, 00:05   #147
BHPian

I was about to change my existing tints (which were fitted when I bought the car in Kolkata) to darker ones when this judgement came about. I will now wait until 5th June (deadline for Bangalore) & then take a call.
Old 19th May 2012, 01:18   #148
Senior - BHPian

I thought of a removing sun films(DIY), but now i think i'll ground my car for a few days and see. Someone should be filing a PIL on this blanket ban soon. Another car and a bike are available for emergency use.
Old 19th May 2012, 04:51   #149
BHPian

What a ridiculous "order". What is the reason for this? Would be grateful if anyone could fill me in on this.

Many cars have tinted glass (the glass itself is tinted, its not a film) in the rear (some have really dark tinted glass as standard all over - such as the Jaguar XJ, Jeep Wrangler and Mercedes S-class).

All the cars we own have really dark tinted glasses in the rear (see attached pic of one of our cars). Don't really see what the big deal is.
Attached Thumbnails
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement-ml.jpg  

Old 19th May 2012, 05:17   #150
BHPian

Blanket ban on all sorts of sunfilms is totally a stupid idea and if someone says that it will bring down illegal activities, then I must stay tight lipped because expressing my feelings about it would be beyond the dignity of any public forum.

I live in Delhi and its harsh summers right now, however I had to remove the sun film from my Manza, which were well within the stipulated limits just because I couldnt stand the thoughts of crude surgery that these cops do to cars with sun films on. I wish that someone files a PIL in response to this verdict of SC along with substantial data about reduction in crime as well as the health hazards that exposure to this harsh sun poses.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks