Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2013, 11:06   #136
BHPian

I think the marketing team of ford did a good job of hyping the product by saying it'll be priced low. I'm sure they will not price it low, I mean why should they if its a good looking car most Indians will buy it just for the looks. It's only some people who are picky about the specifications and what the numbers translate too.

I'm in the market for a new car. Finalised on buying the vw polo but waited it out for the release of the ecosport. Now I'm even more confused the exterior looks good but the interior isn't. Should I just go ahead and book the polo?

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 17th March 2013 at 11:11.
Old 17th March 2013, 11:39   #137
BHPian

As a duster owner, I an happy to see eco sport. Looks like perfect car for urban junta.

Critics be damned, I see a much better interior in eco sport.

Yes, it might have it's quirks, but then even a phaeton has quirks. People will find ways past these nuisances, like we duster owners did.

All that matters now is pricing. I so wish eco sport to do well and give duster run for it's money. Why? Well at least Renault will look into duster's reported issues more proof professionally. Right now Renault doesn't give a penny to our reported issues.

Good luck Ford, do not screw up this time please.
acroback is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 11:47   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
I mean why should they if its a good looking car most Indians will buy it just for the looks.
IMHO most Indians give priority to utility value, quality, service, cost of ownership etc and don't buy a car just for the looks. Old Hyundai Santro and dZire are best examples (and Punto is the example of the other side of the story). Anyway, this is all speculation and numbers will do the talking in few months.
Old 17th March 2013, 12:34   #139
M35
BHPian

Please have a look at pictures of the Ecosport CHINA, which is expected to be launched on the 19th March 2013.

It is worth a comparison between some of these and those posted by Parrys.

1.1.0L Ecoboost Engine
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-1.0-l.jpg

2.1.0L Ecoboost Engine Bay
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-1l-eng-2.jpg

3.1.5L Engine Bay
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-1.5-l-eng-2.jpg

4.Fog Lamp. Any LED there ?
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fog-led.jpg

5.Front seats
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-front-1.5.jpg

6.Front seats
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-front-1.jpg

7.Front view
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-front-overall.jpg

8.Not seen in India models so far?
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-led.jpg

9.Worth a comparison
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-seat-frond-adj.jpg

10.Worth a comparison
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-glove-box.jpg

11.Rear boot space and look at the rear seats here
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-rear-boot.jpg

12.Sun roof ?
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-sun-roof.jpg

13.Rear leg space.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-rear-space-2.jpg

So the models being displayed in India should be the Ecoboost Petrol Variant.Please correct me,if I am wrong. The higher end variants,both petrol AT and diesel models should come with better quality materials used in the interiors, IMHO.

To make any conclusions,one needs to know the exact price and see the car in person.After that, I sincerely wish, I prove myself wrong on one of my comments in my earlier post on the quality of plastic used made based on the pictures.

Picture courtesy:http://newcar.xcar.com.cn/photo/ps1405-o/

Last edited by M35 : 17th March 2013 at 12:48.
M35 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 14:01   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
...So if Ford is going to charge a premium for Ecoboost nevertheless tell me how many are prepared to shell out those extra bucks? Also when some companies are selling their diesel powered car at a lesser price in markets where petrol engines are in demand, but are charging a premium for the same product here even if there is no extraordinary technology involved. So why not let go off that premium for Ecoboost in India?..
Agree, I would NOT want to pay close to a diesel variant with such a difference in fuel prices. If the petrol-diesel variants have a 1L difference, it makes sense to buy a petrol for anything close to 10K kms annual drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Please have a look at pictures of the Ecosport CHINA, which is expected to be launched on the 19th March 2013.
Thanks for the pics. Does this car have the same length in China? Or is is a LWB? The rear space looks more in the pics you shared.

Edit:: Never knew China is a LHD market, thought it's RHD!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th March 2013 at 14:02. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 14:55   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
IMHO most Indians give priority to utility value, quality, service, cost of ownership etc and don't buy a car just for the looks. Old Hyundai Santro and dZire are best examples (and Punto is the example of the other side of the story). Anyway, this is all speculation and numbers will do the talking in few months.
I get what you are saying and I agree a bit. Like I said "most" Indians i.e uncles, young kids, babus and wives just wouldn't look at the numbers of the cars. What's the power, whats the engine capacity, the power to weight ratio etc, they would look at a car how it looks from outside and inside, is it comfortable and of course what mileage it'll give. It's car enthusiasts who will be willing to spend time breaking down and interpreting what the specs means.

So much hype over a car that is going to be released. Ford has to pat their marketing people on the back.
Old 17th March 2013, 15:00   #142
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the pics. Does this car have the same length in China? Or is is a LWB? The rear space looks more in the pics you shared.

China Spec Ecosport

Length (mm) 4280
Width (mm) 1785
Height (mm) 1658/1638
Wheelbase (mm) 2530

Yes China is a LHD market.Also read this piece of article saying that China spec ES is 39mm longer than that of India,thanks to an increased wheel base.There is no sub-four metre norm in China and Ford has decided to give a bit of extra legroom there.

Last edited by M35 : 17th March 2013 at 15:03.
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 15:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

China Ecosport

Length (mm) 4280
Width (mm) 1785
Height (mm) 1658/1638
Wheelbase (mm) 2530

Yes China is a LHD market.Also read this piece of article saying that China spec ES is 39mm longer than that of India,thanks to an increased wheel base.There is no sub-four metre norm in China and Ford has decided to give a bit of extra legroom which would be appreciated by the rear-bench-loving Chinese.
read more:http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/f...in-china-55379
The long wheelbase would make sense, I remember reading somewhere that rear space/legroom was king in the Chinese auto market. Thank you for sharing pictures of the Chinese ES.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 16:30   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Does this car have the same length in China? Or is is a LWB? The rear space looks more in the pics you shared.

Quote:

China Spec Ecosport

Length (mm) 4280
Width (mm) 1785
Height (mm) 1658/1638
Wheelbase (mm) 2530

Yes China is a LHD market.Also read this piece of article saying that China spec ES is 39mm longer than that of India,thanks to an increased wheel base.There is no sub-four metre norm in China and Ford has decided to give a bit of extra legroom there.
Are you sure this length is including or excluding the spare wheel? I don't see much difference there in the pics, its the angle and one side seat is pulled a little back in our pic, and the Chinese pic is with both front seats in line with B pillar. I am not so sure of the LWB stuff, need to wait for official specs from Ford.
Old 17th March 2013, 17:39   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never knew China is a LHD market, thought it's RHD!
Rule is simple. Countries ruled by Britsh are all RHD. The rest LHD. But there are 3 exceptions. US/Canada ruled by British but follow LHD. Japan not ruled by British but follows RHD.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 17:52   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Rule is simple. Countries ruled by Britsh are all RHD. The rest LHD. But there are 3 exceptions. US/Canada ruled by British but follow LHD. Japan not ruled by British but follows RHD.

But China was also ruled by the British only. Even Hongkong was handed over back to china only in 1997.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:03   #147
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Are you sure this length is including or excluding the spare wheel? I don't see much difference there in the pics, its the angle and one side seat is pulled a little back in our pic, and the Chinese pic is with both front seats in line with B pillar. I am not so sure of the LWB stuff, need to wait for official specs from Ford.
Boss,those numbers are quoted from official china Ecosport website.Its in chinese though.
http://www.ecosport.ford.com.cn/configuration.html#0

More on the LWB of Chinese ES:-

Quote:
The EcoSport built by Changan-Ford in Chongqing made its public debut Thursday in Guangzhou. Compared with the Indian and Brazilian versions, the Chinese one is slightly longer, adding 39mm to overall body length and 9mm to wheelbase.
http://chinaautoweb.com/2012/11/chan...port-mini-suv/

Quote:
The EcoSport mini SUV from Changan-Ford, to be released before the year end, has a longer wheelbase than oversea versions, reveals the latest issue of the new car bulletin from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.

Changan-Ford EcoSport CAF7150B4 CAF7150N4
Length/width/height (mm) 4280/1785/1658
Wheelbase (mm) 2530

Sharing platform with the current Fiesta, the Ecosport made at Changan-Ford’s factory in Chongqing sits on a 2530mm wheelbase, compared with the 2490mm on models for Latin America, India, and Europe. Its overall length reaches 4280mm, width 1785mm, height 1658mm, gaining 110mm, 35mm, and 8mm respectively. Thus enlarged, the EcoSport fully matches Buick Encore in size, which has a 2555mm wheelbase and 4277mm body length.
http://chinaautoweb.com/2012/10/chan...ded-wheelbase/

But you are right.Only after Ford India announces the Specifications one can be 100% sure on this.

Last edited by M35 : 17th March 2013 at 18:06.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post

But China was also ruled by the British only. Even Hongkong was handed over back to china only in 1997.
They ruled Hong Kong (HK is RHD). Not China(LHD). They tried to. Opium war and all but could not succeed. I think it was rather French who could park themselves in Shanghai to some extent until it was over-run by Japanese.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:30   #149
BHPian

Visited Infiniti Mall, Mumbai today where Ecosport is kept for display. Sharing some snaps and my view.

Quick points
- This is Titanium version. Highest version will be called Titanium+ and will come with DRL, Keyless entry, Start button and AT
- Exterior looks awesome
- Generous use of Chrome gives front an elegant look
- Paint and glass quality is top notch
- Boot space is unbelievable. In fact one could fold the rear seats and use it as a mini bedroom
- In boot there is a large tray which carries Ecosport branding, you could lift the tray to access tool kit (Refer snap no 41)
- Interior quality is Very Good. Yes and I repeat, interior quality is Very Good
- Has dual tone interior i.e Dark Gray (It looks more like black, Refer snap no 26) and Light Gray
- Front section carrying Airbags and dashboard is all Dark Gray
- Storage and plastic used on doors are Light Gray (Refer snap no 22)
- Silver and piano black center console is glossy and top quality
- Buttons and controls are easy to operate
- Has tilt and telescopic steering wheel. Drivers seat could be adjusted for height and recline (Refer snap no 31)
- There is a 12 volt charging slot at rear seat (Refer snap no 37)
- Seat quality is decent with sufficient cushioning. However the actual comfort will be known only when one goes on a long drive. Seat color is Dark Gray.

Cons
- Rear seat width is less than what I expected. While 3 people can sit, it is not as spacious as Innova. The problem is that each door itself occupies 8 inch width. So even though this Mini SUV is wide bodied, you will have to discount 16 inches from the overall width which is a bit too much. (Refer snap no 32)
- Leg room is decent though could have been better. Ford should have ideally compromised a bit on the boot space and increased leg room. There was a 5.11" guy on the drivers seat with me (5.8") on the rear seat. There was 2" gap between my knee and driver seat (Refer snap no 36)

There is a gap between rear seat and curtain arrangement for boot. While the support staff confirmed there is no reclining option for rear seats, he was candid enough to admit that he was not sure why this gap was there. He also confirmed that this was a pre-production version so one can expect some changes in the final version.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-01.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-02.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-07.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-09.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-11.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-14.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-22.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-24.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-26.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-31.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-32.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-36.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-37.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-41.jpg  

Last edited by damager21 : 17th March 2013 at 18:44.
damager21 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 18:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

13.Rear leg space.
Attachment 1063136
I am not too sure of the difference in the rear row leg space. Check these ones from the 1st page and one posted above

A)

B)

Seems to me like:
1. A - The driver seat has been moved mostly all the way back creating the small space impression, while if looked closely, the front passenger seat is still toward front
2. B - Both front seats are probably at their minimal space at front creating an impression of huge space at rear. Also visible is the cup holder clearly which is hidden in the first (A) picture.
3. This is mostly a platform design dependent aspect and it is mostly possible that they will not do different platform designs for different countries. So the space is same but one gets different perceptions due to the different adjustments, and nothing more.
parsh is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks