Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 12:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

IAB have reported recent sighting of the Octavia (alongwith the Golf MK7) in Mumbai. Here is link to their report:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/04/2...n-mumbai-70672
Old 6th April 2013, 12:48   #17
BHPian

re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Thats a scoop! I would like to know is this the Mark III or a completely different car? A few months back I had read the review of the Octavia Mark III in the Hindu Metro Plus and it was written that this will be the replacement for the Laura in India launch around August 2013.

As we all know in World Market the first Skoda Octavia that was launched in India in 2001 is known as the Mark I the current Laura which was the replacement for the Octavia in world market is called Mark II, but in India Skoda continued selling the Octavia as well as the Laura(Mark I and II). Now this Octavia A7 has got me confused whether this is the Mark III which the Metro Plus reviewed or a completely new Model.

The Octavia is not sold anymore in India and the Rapid is a sort of its replacement. Even if the A7 is launched what will be its segment as the Laura is occupying the segment of the Octavia 2001 and Rapid is a segment below that. If the current Laura is stopped then the new A7(Mark III??) will be its replacement

Any one having more info on this can enlighten me!
Old 6th April 2013, 13:01   #18
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Spotted the 2013 Octavia today while en route Pune.
Great! the exteriors are good, the skoda theme is taking a good shape into the future. Missing indicators on the OVRMs. The interiors also seem very plastic, may be a lower variant that was being testing. Did the glass have films on it, can see a clear dark effect on the inside, or are the glasses smoked (naturally tinted :-) )? The roof is distinct with the new shade, in integrated sun roof will take a class higher!
Old 6th April 2013, 13:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car looked stunning in white and very futuristic.

Finishing was brilliant right from the smoked headlamps to the gloss black roof.

Was standing next to the car for about 5 mins, was really exciting to touch & feel the car in flesh
Thanks for the pics Karan. That should be quite exciting indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Missing indicators on the OVRMs. The interiors also seem very plastic, may be a lower variant that was being testing.
The turn indicators are indeed on the OVRMs. I am not able to gauge the interior quality from the pics. Karan should be able to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
The Octavia is not sold anymore in India and the Rapid is a sort of its replacement. Even if the A7 is launched what will be its segment as the Laura is occupying the segment of the Octavia 2001 and Rapid is a segment below that. If the current Laura is stopped then the new A7(Mark III??) will be its replacement

Any one having more info on this can enlighten me!
This speculation/confusion with the Euro Rapid has been discussed quite a lot in some of the previous threads. Just to clarify again:

Octavia I: Sold in India with the same name.

Octavia II: Came to India as Laura as Skoda wanted to continue selling the previous gen. Sold with the original Octavia name in other markets

Octavia III: Internationally launched recently, and coming to India soon with the same name (hence the spy pics in this thread). This will be a replacement to the Laura. Read somewhere that they will continue selling the Laura along with this until the CKD kits are exhausted.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th April 2013 at 13:10. Reason: Additional post quoted
Old 6th April 2013, 13:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1069739

Attachment 1069740

Attachment 1069741

Attachment 1069742

The car looked stunning in white and very futuristic.

Finishing was brilliant right from the smoked headlamps to the gloss black roof.
The car looks more yummy now. Now I am again confused. I made my mind on Ecosport but now I think should wait for some more time and then buy the new Octavia in 2014
Old 6th April 2013, 13:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

The turn indicators are indeed on the OVRMs. I am not able to gauge the interior quality from the pics. Karan should be able to comment.

This speculation/confusion with the Euro Rapid has been discussed quite a lot in some of the previous threads. Just to clarify again:

Octavia I: Sold in India with the same name.

Octavia II: Came to India as Laura as Skoda wanted to continue selling the previous gen. Sold with the original Octavia name in other markets

Octavia III: Internationally launched recently, and coming to India soon with the same name (hence the spy pics in this thread). This will be a replacement to the Laura. Read somewhere that they will continue selling the Laura along with this until the CKD kits are exhausted.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the clarification. This new Octavia III is the car to wait for. It has some great equipment levels and loaded with all the gadgets. I am sure if priced right like the first Gen Octavia I was, it will be the game changer in the D segment.
Old 6th April 2013, 13:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic scoop Karan ! Bravo Bravo.
The car looks fantastic and im sure SKODA will price this at the current Laura levels. People should stop expecting prices similar to the first generation Octavia. The question is how will this car be positioned vis a vis the Jetta that is a pricing disaster. A well priced Octavia could further dent whatever little they sell of the Jetta i.e. the VW Group.
Old 6th April 2013, 16:08   #23
BHPian

Man all these spottings are great news indeed! Maybe Skoda do want to launch it by the middle of the year. And the car looks fantastic! Reviews in other markets where it has been launched look promising too. Pity they still havent figured out the after sales part of their operation.

Being an Octavia I owner (had two of them), I am sure of getting this new one. Does anyone know if dealers have started bookings or receiving stock?
Old 6th April 2013, 16:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

This car looks BRILLIANT !!! Skoda please improve your A.S.S. Just hoping they do provide more features in the Ambiente(base) version too.

OT : Looks like this is the first Skoda car in India with the new Logo .
Old 6th April 2013, 17:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Thanks !
The interior quality definitely looked premium & at par with the current gen Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post

Great! the exteriors are good, the skoda theme is taking a good shape into the future. Missing indicators on the OVRMs. The interiors also seem very plastic, may be a lower variant that was being testing. Did the glass have films on it, can see a clear dark effect on the inside, or are the glasses smoked (naturally tinted :-) )? The roof is distinct with the new shade, in integrated sun roof will take a class higher!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Fantastic scoop Karan ! Bravo Bravo.
The car looks fantastic and im sure SKODA will price this at the current Laura levels. People should stop expecting prices similar to the first generation Octavia. The question is how will this car be positioned vis a vis the Jetta that is a pricing disaster. A well priced Octavia could further dent whatever little they sell of the Jetta i.e. the VW Group.
Thanks guys !

There was no tinting on the glass.

The new smoked skoda logo looks good too

Also note : The entire roof wasnt gloss
Black, but only about 1/2 - 3/4th was, the rest bit was white (body colored)

Last edited by karan561 : 6th April 2013 at 18:05.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
The car looks more yummy now. Now I am again confused. I made my mind on Ecosport but now I think should wait for some more time and then buy the new Octavia in 2014
In case you can wait & do not need GC, the Octavia shall blow away the Eco Sport in almost all parameters.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

2 Octavia have landed in Bosch a few days back, one had a TSI mark on the rear while the other did not have any except for the Octavia. Car looks great from close up. No pics since it is in a restricted area of the plant.
The colour was White for the TSI and a dark shade of Blue for the other.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 18:12   #28
BHPian

This is awesome news..

However i see a problem, i could be wrong but here it goes :-

The Rapid has been launched in the price bracket that earlier catered to the Octavia. And the price difference between the laura and the rapid is not enough to justify the launch of an entirely new product. So where would the New Octavia be priced ??

I am glad to see the revival of the Octavia brand name, however as the earlier Octavia was launched in the price range of the current Rapid, people would expect the new Octavia to be priced similarly. But as this is a much better car, it would obviously cost more and would most probably be in the range of the current Laura. Hence wouldn't it be a gamble to carry on the same name which was earlier related to a car that was a segment lower ??
Old 6th April 2013, 18:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Was standing next to the car for about 5 mins, was really exciting to touch & feel the car in flesh
Many congratulations Karan on the scoop. This looks like the exact same car that I had spied upon in February in France and posted on TeamBhp. Touching a new car for the first time is quite exciting and I can relate with you on this feeling. These Indian sightings confirm that the new Octavia is now just around the corner -

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-skoda-octavia-facelift-feb-2013-france.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-skoda-octavia-facelift-feb-2013-france_1.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3039894

My take -
- I feel that the front is taking the new Skoda shape for all its upcoming vehicles and is looking good, at least on the Octavia, though not so much on the Superb.
- The Rapid like rear is a little downmarket for the Octavia. A more longitudinal one like they are bringing on the new Superb would have been appreciated better. But then they have already done that on the Jetta. So in that much this Octavia's back looks a little downgraded compared to the Jetta.
- Looks like VAG group is slightly down grading the Skoda brand.
- They should introduce all upcoming Skoda models like the Octavia and the Superb with built in navigation (Columbus ICE) like they do in Europe or at least offer it as an option.
- Hope they don't downgrade the rear suspension as is suspected on the lower spec variants.
- Indian market specifically needs the higher variants for the Octavia as we would not relate very well with the 'Green Line' variants of the Octavia here in India. Let the 'Amaze' fill that efficiency bracket. I think Skoda/VAG group also realise this fact that they will never be able to compete with the Japs on that account.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th April 2013 at 19:08.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561
Any chance you were able to take look at the rear suspension . All UK variants get only a torsion beam set up for the rear. I wish the Indian car gets an all independent setup like the Jetta and current Laura.

Also hope the rough road package available with the current Laura continues and is not left out in the interest of keeping costs down.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks