Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 17:52   #331
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed

Maruti Suzuki have bowled another googly with the variants for petrol and diesel, apart from the VXi missing out on the ABS (with EBD & BA) that's found on the VDi.

The LXi(O) happens to be the actual petrol-engined equivalent of the LDi, and these two variants get central locking & remote keyless entry, front power windows (with driver side auto-down) and silver accents on the interior trim. There is no LDi(O) variant as both the LXi(O) and LDi get these features.

The petrol LXi misses out on these extra features and is an extremely barebones model, without a diesel-engined equivalent. So in terms of variants, we have the following:

Base variant ----> LXi & n/a

Low variant ----> LXi(O) & LDi

Mid variant ----> VXi & n/a

Mid variant + ABS ----> n/a & VDi

Top variant ----> ZXi & ZDi

The only saving grace for the spartan base petrol model is that it does get features like 60:40 split folding rear seats with height adjustable neck restraints, accessory socket, digital clock, roof antenna etc. apart from A/C, power steering & body coloured bumpers (of course).

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 29th October 2014 at 18:14.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 18:16   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I agree about the Liva's interior quality, but Swift does not come on top either. Hyundai's vehicles have noticeably better quality of interiors. Swift's interior looks good(mainly due to all black tone IMO), but I think it's slightly dated after 3 years and don't think it's anywhere worth charging a premium for. About Z, I think at 7.5L/8.6L on road here, we should get more stuff. Other than the slight driver oriented nature(which is the only buying point for me and that factor is dwindling too, thanks to the mileage heads) and Maruti ASS, there is nothing in Swift that really stands out
What more stuff would you prefer at 7.5/8.6L that is available on other cars at same price? You are right about Maruti ASS but that is such a major factor that it is too hard to ignore. Moreover, at this price point the petrol engine is still better than most of its competition.
Old 29th October 2014, 18:39   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I would say VDI is the most VFM of the face lifted Swift. Why? Because the extra Rs21000/- you pay over the old VDI will get you ABS with EBD and brake Assist which is standard on all new VDIs. No other version will get this much extra kit apart from the usual face lift features.

Edit: Add the stereo with 4 speakers too, this was not available in the older VDI. You are getting more for Rs21000/- premium over the old VDI. Totally VFM.
Or perhaps the VDi earlier wasn't good value for money.
Old 29th October 2014, 19:25   #334
BHPian

The brochure says that it has 'fixed intermittent' wiper mode. Any idea what that means? How is that different from the regular wiper speed modes?

It will be interesting to see how the engines drive, I hope they haven't further softened the low-end pickup in the interests of fuel efficiency.
Old 29th October 2014, 19:35   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
What more stuff would you prefer at 7.5/8.6L that is available on other cars at same price? You are right about Maruti ASS but that is such a major factor that it is too hard to ignore. Moreover, at this price point the petrol engine is still better than most of its competition.
Well, few things that come into my mind are better quality plastics, sheet metal that doesn't get dented so easily, thicker window glasses that filter at least a considerable amount of outside noise, better rear space/boot space(not really cost cutting but just an expectation), rear AC vents(don't need it personally, but not a huge demand at this price since the cheaper Grand i10 provides it).

The petrol engine is better than the competition, but has lost out to Hyundai and Honda in favour of fuel efficiency. They seem to have detuned it further, but won't comment on that till I read some drive reports. I'd have loved it if they had provided built-in ECU maps like in Tata's Revotron for those who can forget about fuel efficiency at least once in a while.

Instead of saying more stuff is expected, I should say that they should have priced it lower for the stuff on offer.

The Swift still comes into my mind because of the nice suspension on offer and a decent petrol engine which combined together still offer the best in class driving experience on twisties and highways. If only a Punto T-Jet was available. Resale value of Swift is a big factor too.

If I was looking at a city only usage, I'd have gone ahead and considered a Grand i10(quality) or a Figo(considerably cheaper).

Last edited by theredliner : 29th October 2014 at 19:39.
Old 29th October 2014, 19:49   #336
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
The brochure says that it has 'fixed intermittent' wiper mode. Any idea what that means? How is that different from the regular wiper speed modes?
I guess it means there is no intermittent speed adjustment facility for the wipers, so the time delay between each intermittent wipe across the screen would be fixed. The wiper control stalk would only have OFF, INT, LOW & HIGH modes (for the front wipers).

If intermittent wipe speed adjustment (or variable intermittent wiper mode) is present, then one would be able to choose one of the few preset intermittent speeds using the wiper stalk. This would be useful when driving in light rain or a drizzle.

Last edited by RSR : 29th October 2014 at 19:51.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 20:15   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Can you the difference in he picture of the wiper stalks below?

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-dsc_0630horz.jpg

In this the intermittent speed is fixed with a certain time interval otherwise there is settings to adjust the time interval between the next swipe.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 20:20   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you the difference in he picture of the wiper stalks below?

Attachment 1303790

In this the intermittent speed is fixed with a certain time interval otherwise there is settings to adjust the time interval between the next swipe.

Anurag.
Alright, so it seems like that it is the same regular wiper settings that we see on almost every Maruti car.
Old 29th October 2014, 20:23   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Alright, so it seems like that it is the same regular wiper settings that we see on almost every Maruti car.
Exactly, the same common wiper setting we see in every other model just that the shape of the stalk changes!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 10:26   #340
BHPian

Have the change the gear shift style to European gear shift style ?
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2014, 10:48   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, few things that come into my mind are better quality plastics, sheet metal that doesn't get dented so easily, thicker window glasses that filter at least a considerable amount of outside noise, better rear space/boot space(not really cost cutting but just an expectation), rear AC vents(don't need it personally, but not a huge demand at this price since the cheaper Grand i10 provides it).
I think people should look for swift only when they are using it for small families with lesser travel requirement with huge luggage. When someone needs a larger bootspace, say once in six months, he should hire a larger cab or a self drive car. This is coming from my experience of owing a swift for 6+ years and 85K kms on odo. I never ever required a larger boot or a rear AC vent.

Quote:
The petrol engine is better than the competition, but has lost out to Hyundai and Honda in favour of fuel efficiency. They seem to have detuned it further, but won't comment on that till I read some drive reports. I'd have loved it if they had provided built-in ECU maps like in Tata's Revotron for those who can forget about fuel efficiency at least once in a while.
Hyundai petrols are still not comparable to swift. Brio is much better and fun to drive though.

Quote:
Instead of saying more stuff is expected, I should say that they should have priced it lower for the stuff on offer.
Why would they lower the price when its selling more than many manufacturer's entire product range?

Quote:
The Swift still comes into my mind because of the nice suspension on offer and a decent petrol engine which combined together still offer the best in class driving experience on twisties and highways. If only a Punto T-Jet was available. Resale value of Swift is a big factor too.

If I was looking at a city only usage, I'd have gone ahead and considered a Grand i10(quality) or a Figo(considerably cheaper).
I agree that it is a fun car to drive and I would not compare it with Grandi10. It seem to be a segment lower than swift, may be between WagonR and swift. Figo is boring and dated in its current form. The new anticipated Figo looks much much desirable though. I think we still have to wait to see a wholesome petrol competitor to Swift.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 11:16   #342
BHPian

Quote:
I think people should look for swift only when they are using it for small families with lesser travel requirement with huge luggage. When someone needs a larger bootspace, say once in six months, he should hire a larger cab or a self drive car. This is coming from my experience of owing a swift for 6+ years and 85K kms on odo. I never ever required a larger boot or a rear AC vent.
I agree. May be I'm expecting too much from the Swift. Fun to drive factor + practicality for the weekend trips. I may have to compromise one of them.

Quote:
Hyundai petrols are still not comparable to swift. Brio is much better and fun to drive though.
I haven't driven them back to back and I have driven VVT Swift for a negligible amount of time. But the VVT felt a lot less responsive in the bottom end compared to the experience I had in i10 Kappa2. The VVT is rev hungry, but so is the Kappa. What I said was more to do with what GTO's official review stated where he said that he'd place the VVT a notch below the VTVT and iVTEC.

Quote:
Why would they lower the price when its selling more than many manufacturer's entire product range?
Yep. That's why I said, they're the market leaders. They almost have a monopoly. They'd definitely ask a premium

Quote:
I agree that it is a fun car to drive and I would not compare it with Grandi10. It seem to be a segment lower than swift, may be between WagonR and swift. Figo is boring and dated in its current form. The new anticipated Figo looks much much desirable though. I think we still have to wait to see a wholesome petrol competitor to Swift.
In terms of fun to drive factor, I agree Grand isn't comaparble to Swift at all. But in terms of overall quality and features(barring ACC), I don't see how a Grand can be placed between Wagon R and Swift. IMO, it can be placed between Swift and Elite.

Yeah. Figo is dated in terms of looks, but for the price at which it is being offered + discounts, it is still a pretty good VFM and very practical. It is very easy to drive in the city(both P & D). On the highways, the petrol is a letdown, the diesel is okayish. If only it had that 1.6, it'd have trumped the Swift P in both FTD and practicality, due to the Ford dynamics, that HPS and the extra space in terms of both rear leg room and the boot space.
Anyway, all those things are wishes and I definitely agree that there is no wholesome competitor to the petrol Swift.

Last edited by theredliner : 30th October 2014 at 11:17.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:59   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Have the change the gear shift style to European gear shift style ?
Nope, its the regular Maruti gearshift. AFAIK nothing has changed on the gear lever, not even the shape or looks of it.
Old 5th November 2014, 18:12   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Paid a visit to the friendly neighborhood MSIL dealership to check out the Swift facelift and the "all-new" Alto K-10.

The variant in the pics is a Grey VDI ABS.

The front grille is of a different design.
(earlier Swift had a toothy design - LINK)

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-img_0361.jpg

Front view of the grille.

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-img_0362.jpg

Headlamps stay the same. Foglamp casing gets chrome lining.

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-img_0363.jpg

Closer look at the chrome in the foglamp.

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-img_0364.jpg

Interiors.
VDI now comes with an inbuilt HU (same as the earlier-gen Z variant)
Look closely and you can make out the ORVM auto-folding switch as well.

2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-img_0381.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th November 2014 at 18:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 18:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Closer look at the chrome in the foglamp.

Attachment 1305772
Is it chrome or silver painted? It looks like silver painted strips to me from the pictures.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks