Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 16:40   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed

Updated/facelifted Swift gets to a great opening. 1000 cars booked in Delhi alone on opening day!
Quote:
According to the dealers, the updated hatchback would be launched by the month end and believe it or not, the refreshed Swift has registered over 1000 bookings in Delhi alone, in a single day. A Maruti dealership in Delhi confirmed to us that Swift is getting an overwhelming response and revealed that it has received around 35 bookings as of now.
http://autoportal.com/news/new-marut...0000-2257.html
Old 20th October 2014, 16:41   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Since they are introducing a premium hatchback above Swift, these features are excluded here, I guess.
That car will take it's own sweet time coming. Should not be the reason for any changes in the Swift facelift now.

They are excluding features in the Swift simply because they can! Customers will still buy it because it offers a mix of performance, fuel efficiency, features and ownership experience like none other in the segment. Jack of all trades. All the others cars lose out in one or other other factor.
Old 20th October 2014, 16:48   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
because it offers a mix of performance, fuel efficiency, features and ownership experience like none other in the segment...
And also since every other person is buying it!

I guess it gives people comfort in the back of their minds, everybody seems to be buying this car, it should be good.
Old 20th October 2014, 17:01   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Since they are introducing a premium hatchback above Swift, these features are excluded here, I guess.
Is it the YRA hatchback IIRC?

Quote:
That car will take it's own sweet time coming. Should not be the reason for any changes in the Swift facelift now.

They are excluding features in the Swift simply because they can! All the others cars lose out in one or other other factor.
Jack of all trades but master of none! Atleast VW have give safety features in all variants with a better diesel engine to back it. Maruti is still pulling the string of that 1.3L DDiS. It is high time they improve the standards as the yard stick has gone farther and these guys are just milking the cow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_shetty87 View Post
And also since every other person is buying it!

I guess it gives people comfort in the back of their minds, everybody seems to be buying this car, it should be good.
Word-of-mouth effect I will say plus slight herd mentality. Can't blame anyone as they most what is required from a hatch.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th October 2014 at 17:06.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:03   #260
Team-BHP Support

A bit OT: I was casually checking what Suzuki offers in Sri Lanka and turns out, they get 2 other variants of Swift other than the Indian versions - the Swift Sport and a Swift Japanese (1.4L VVT, 95 hp). And IINM these are being exported from India.

Name:  Swift_Sri Lanka.PNG
Views: 3546
Size:  31.3 KB

These guys should have taken a cue from VW after the launch of the GTs last year and launched the Swift Sport here. Instead of launching the RS and other useless limited editions.

EDIT: Link

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2014 at 17:05.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:34   #261
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, but adding those features will push the prices further up if Maruti decides not to reduce the margin. The result will be multi-faceted:

i) Already, Swift is selling at a good premium over a similar Ritz. Any further increase will further dent Swift's value-for-money tag.
ii) If Swift prices are increased, so should be the DZire prices, making it less-desirable.
iii) Also, that will reduce the price gap between DZire and Maruti's other higher models like Ertiga and Ciaz. And this price gap is where Maruti will be introducing their premium hatch, compact SUV and bigger DZire later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is it the YRA hatchback IIRC?
Yes, exactly.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:01   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but adding those features will push the prices further up if Maruti decides not to reduce the margin. The result will be multi-faceted:

i) Already, Swift is selling at a good premium over a similar Ritz. Any further increase will further dent Swift's value-for-money tag.
ii) If Swift prices are increased, so should be the DZire prices, making it less-desirable.
iii) Also, that will reduce the price gap between DZire and Maruti's other higher models like Ertiga and Ciaz. And this price gap is where Maruti will be introducing their premium hatch, compact SUV and bigger DZire later.

Yes, exactly.
Romeo, I doubt if Maruti will increase the prices significantly.

This would be like giving a cake walk to the Elite i20 which is already doing good.

Dzire and YRA 1 are products which will be within striking distance and with Swift prices going northward, product cannibalization will be too high.

My guesstimate: New Swift Prices may remain status quo, give or take a couple of thousands here or there.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 19:43   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No mention of safety features getting included in the V trim or at least better and improved brakes for the L and V variant that are the highest selling. Come on Maruti! What are you waiting for?
Brakes in the L_i & the V_i were tweaked and improved last year as per customer feedback, if I recall correctly from the official Swift review thread.

As for safety features, Gaadi Waadi blog mentions this:

Quote:
Facelift Maruti Suzuki Swift's mid variant's optional version could get Chrome plated door handles, Anti lock braking System , Push start button with keyless entry & driver side SRS airbag.
Which means we will see a *new* V_i (O) variant in the lineup.

SOURCE - Gaadi Waadi blog
Old 20th October 2014, 19:56   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A bit OT: I was casually checking what Suzuki offers in Sri Lanka and turns out, they get 2 other variants of Swift other than the Indian versions - the Swift Sport and a Swift Japanese (1.4L VVT, 95 hp). And IINM these are being exported from India.

Attachment 1300982

These guys should have taken a cue from VW after the launch of the GTs last year and launched the Swift Sport here. Instead of launching the RS and other useless limited editions.

EDIT: Link
I don't think anybody will be willing to shell out 9+ lakhs on a Maruti Hatchback here in India, even if it is a damn good one such as the swift sport. Too much bias towards Suzuki as a cheap car manufacturer exists here in India.

Maybe suzuki is sort of a mid premium brand over there in Srilanka, just like Honda is, here in India. I could be wrong though.
Old 20th October 2014, 22:52   #265
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
.... Too much bias towards Suzuki as a cheap car manufacturer exists here in India.

Maybe suzuki is sort of a mid premium brand over there in Srilanka, just like Honda is, here in India. I could be wrong though.
Suzuki had a great chance of changing the biaz/mindset of Indian customers with the Ciaz, but with the kind of reviews it has got (haven't checked it personally) I don't think the perception changes much.

Also if Sri Lanka can have the premium variants of Swift and is selling well, Suzuki should give it a try here in India as well.

Could be that they have already done a market research which might suggest that the premium ones won't sell as much as they expect.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:11   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurvapg View Post
True, the best handling car in the world is a bit too far-fetched, but all international reviews put the Swift Sports right up there. In terms of value for money the top end diesel i20 Elite is almost a lack more than the ZDi. Don't know about you but that is quite a bit for bland driving hatch which is just stuffed full with kit. The Elite doesn't even get rear disc's at this price.

Even the Polo's are overpriced for the engine's on offer. The whole idea for VW to develop the 1.5TDi was to offer better value for money, which it doesn't and hence they do not sell even with free insurance.

Braking is an issue with the Swift, the facelift should hopefully address those problems and get more basic kit to offer.

My point is that the swift no longer offers any USP that its rivals don't. If one needs features, resale value, decent service levels then the i20 is not a bad choice. Yes it's slightly more expensive, but it's very well packaged. On the other hand, if you need a well built hatch that has a phenomenal diesel( 1.5 TDi ) or a fantastic petrol (tsi) then the Polo is a great buy. The swift used to be a great all rounder, but it just doesn't match up to these rivals anymore at least that's what I think.
The swift sports has been globally appreciated, but is that the same car in India? The Indian version is not as well built and we don't have much of choice in engines. Heck it doesn't even get an automatic! And the boot of 212 litres must be the worst in the whole B+ segment.
No offence to anyone's views, I love the swift too and I used a own a version of it ( Dzire DDIS), but in today's scenario it's just not the best around. I would actually point fingers at Maruti for this. In 2008 the Swift used to cost about 5.75 lakhs for the VDI version in Bangalore, OTR, now it's a lakh more than that, but the are have been no significant features added. Secondly, Maruti has been playing safe with this car forever! Why cannot they offer a 90bhp diesel of the DDIS which the vista and the punto have? Why not a more powerful petrol engine? Why not an automatic? I mean the car sells so well that they can afford to take these risks easily. All the car gets is some chrome strips and stickers! If a polo which sells just about 2 or 3k can have about 3 engine options, The swift which does 15k a month should have at least 3 if not 4. I feel that Maruti has taken the Indian customers for granted with the swift and hence no serious effort is being put on the car.
motorworks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 08:43   #267
BHPian

Agree with @Motorworks. Maruti has been just minting the herd mentality, and obviously with high profit margins on the Swift, especially since other competitors have been offering so much more at more or less the same price.

However, I feel that Maruti may just not suffer much even though they do not really upgrade the Swift and try and bring it up to the mark of the i20, Polo, Punto. The herd mentality still has a strong momentum towards Maruti, and that inertia is difficult to change with the Indian mentality of (perceived) no-risk Maruti. I say perceived because of a few reasons: our general lack of appreciation as a population for build quality; our desire to avoid the safety as it costs (why pay for a Polo or a Toyota car with airbags when you can buy a Maruti VDI without them); the lack of awareness that Maruti's are no longer as cheap to maintain, especially when compared to say a Ford or a Toyota; our lower priority for looks in a car (not talking about the Swift here, but Maruti in general); and finally to a lesser (and acceptable) extent, we do not mind if every second/third person owns the same car.

In any case, the Swift needs to distinguish itself again. A sports model would be an option that may make a small step in that direction, though I doubt if Maruti wants to even slightly improve the chassis and the (tin-can) shell to accommodate the higher power that the engine provides. The other more appropriate option would be to make a statement about "caring for the safety of people" with an ABS and airbags. But go to a Maruti showroom and you will see that this is not going to happen. The entire sales establishment is anti safety and pro music system, and other feature rich cars.
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:06   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Swift, Dzire facelift ready for launch

Bookings for the facelift Swift are underway at Maruti dealerships with deliveries being promised in four to five weeks. The updated Dzire is expected to hit showrooms later.
Quote:
Exterior changes could include a new bumper, larger air dams, and re-styled fog lamp inserts with a faux brushed aluminium finish on some of the variants. This design highlight is intended to mimic the look of Daytime Running Lights. However, the higher variants may get the real deal.
Quote:
On the inside, the updated cars get electric folding wing mirrors, push-button start with smart-key access, new upholstery and a better six-speaker sound system. The hatchback’s interiors are likely to continue with the all-black scheme, and the Dzire should retain its dual-tone dashboard too.
Quote:
Mechanically, both the cars will continue with the same 1.2-litre K-series petrol and 1.3-litre Multijet diesel, likely to be tuned for better fuel efficiency. The mid-spec Swift and Dzire may also get ABS
Gaadiwaadi youtube video on Swift,

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-391211.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd October 2014 at 14:30.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:22   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
And IINM these are being exported from India.
This is correct.

Though Sri Lanka does not get this, the 134bhp tune is also exported from India.

The Sri Lanka spec gets cvt too. 7 speed and paddle shift included.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd October 2014 at 14:28.
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:06   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Gaadiwaadi reveals prices of the facelift Swift - Zxi/Zdi gets Cruise Control, push start button & Reverse parking sensor

Quote:
The new Swift facelift is coming with a gentle makeover both inside and outside. The car is dangled with new front fascia with front bumper that have wider air dam and there is Daytime Running Lights (DRL) look like metal chrome strips makes its front fascia looking more smarter then previous version . Solid fire Red & Pearl mysterious Violet are 2 new colors

Ex-Showroom Prices
Lxi - 442000
Lxi (o) - 449000
Vxi - 508000
Zxi - 590000
Ldi - 556000
Vdi - 599990
Zdi - 695000
Ldi/Lxi got updated bumper but without DRL look like metal strip ,whereas mid & top trim got some competitive new features including Electrical retractable mirror's, Push start button, I-key entry , DRL look like metal strips, Cruise control, reverse parking sensor's & newly designed front bumper
http://blog.gaadiwaadi.com/2014/10/m...d-closely.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd October 2014 at 15:08.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks