Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 12:32   #646
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Er... are you sure yours is a 2016 Highline? I was under the impression that manufacturing stopped after 2015 and that there were no 2016 model-years at all!
As per the VIN, the car is Sep 2015 manufactured and model year is 2016. We picked it up new

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2020 at 08:16. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 8th August 2019, 12:46   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Er... are you sure yours is a 2016 Highline? I was under the impression that manufacturing stopped after 2015 and that there were no 2016 model-years at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Hi,

We got our Jetta in 2016, HL spec. Couple of questions

1.The music system in the review post is completely different from what we have got. Attached a Pic (it's little dirty, requires cleaning)Attachment 1903205

2. Couldn't find the options for fatigue detection system, is it by any chance visible only when cruise control is active as per the review

3.Bluetooth pairing isn't available in MFD either
You've go the MIB II system which came as standard fitment on the last few Jetta's that were sold prior to it being discontinued. In the review, we see RCD 510 which is what the 2015 models got.

MIB II gets a USB port and support for App Connect (Apple Car Play, Android Auto, Mirrorlink etc) if you upgrade by spending some ~25k. I've been trying to source this unit at reasonable prices, but have had no luck so far.

Bluetooth pairing shouldn't be an issue at all, better to get this checked if you're unable to pair it with any smartphone. Fatigue detection is again an option on the MID IIRC, let me check on that.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 8th August 2019 at 12:48.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 13:04   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
You've go the MIB II system which came as standard fitment on the last few Jetta's that were sold prior to it being discontinued. In the review, we see RCD 510 which is what the 2015 models got.

MIB II gets a USB port and support for App Connect (Apple Car Play, Android Auto, Mirrorlink etc) if you upgrade by spending some ~25k. I've been trying to source this unit at reasonable prices, but have had no luck so far.

Bluetooth pairing shouldn't be an issue at all, better to get this checked if you're unable to pair it with any smartphone. Fatigue detection is again an option on the MID IIRC, let me check on that.
Thanks for the info . Yes I'm still contemplating on whether I need the android auto.

I can pair Bluetooth however I don't see the option in MID. I'll check this again.

Same for the fatigue detection. Would be great if someone can give a walk through on how to find the menu for the same

Another question, this MIB II supports reverse camera? Any suggestions on where to get it done in Chennai?
Old 9th August 2019, 09:44   #649
BHPian

Checked on the reverse cam, and it costs 16500 from vagtune.
Old 9th August 2019, 17:33   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked on the reverse cam, and it costs 16500 from vagtune.
Not sure if the MIB II supports a rear camera, I know the RCD 330+ supports one, so I think the MIB should support one provided you use the required adapters. However, at 16.5k, that's a pricey accessory!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 13:53   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Not sure if the MIB II supports a rear camera, I know the RCD 330+ supports one, so I think the MIB should support one provided you use the required adapters. However, at 16.5k, that's a pricey accessory!
Indeed a pricey accessory. Have decided against it - having used the existing park function all these years, we don't think the reverse camera is required - wish VW gave it in the beginning.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 16:24   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed a pricey accessory.
True! Especially when the same can be had for 1/10th the price if you go the DIY route.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...23192e0ebs7XEJ

I also agree with you on the rear camera, certainly not a must have but VW should've added a few features from the Octavia atleast towards the end.
Old 12th August 2019, 17:37   #653
Senior - BHPian

Hey everyone,

I own a 2015 VW Jetta TDI DSG and even though the brochure states that the driver's side ORVM is heated, I do not see that heater liner on the periphery of the mirror which can usually bee seen on such mirrors. It has the aspherical line though.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 27th October 2019, 17:30   #654
BHPian

Hey guys,

We’re on the lookout for a pre-owned D segment sedan and we found a Jetta DSG in great condition, on CarTrade. The car is a 2015 Model and the odometer has clocked 54K kilometers. We will be checking out the car tomorrow morning. Is there anything specific that I should look out for during the test drive ? Or any electronics which are prone to failure?

Cheers,
Vinay
Old 27th October 2019, 20:24   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Hey guys,

We’re on the lookout for a pre-owned D segment sedan and we found a Jetta DSG in great condition, on CarTrade. The car is a 2015 Model and the odometer has clocked 54K kilometers. We will be checking out the car tomorrow morning. Is there anything specific that I should look out for during the test drive ? Or any electronics which are prone to failure?

Cheers,
Vinay
Check for the following:

- If the headlamps auto level on startup and work perfectly. A pair costs 1L+ rupees. Park it against the wall and on startup, you should see the beam aligning itself

- ABS sensors. Relatively inexpensive but a pain in the proverbial place to diagnose. Look out for ABS, ESP and power steering lights on the instrument cluster

- Check if the water pump has been replaced before. If it has, good enough. If it hasn't, just be mentally prepared that it might fail in the future and is a known weak link

- Check for any abnormal metallic clangs or clunking while going over deep potholes especially the front left. Points to a gearbox mount issue and is 10K to replace. Also check for any abnormal bouncing or skipping over potholes.

- Funny rumbling noises point to worn out wheel bearings. Keep an ear out for them.

Not much else to look out for. The Jetta is relatively simple in terms of electronics. The DSG gearbox is also niggle free although you might want to look for abnormal vibrations on idling. Points to a worn out flywheel in most cases and costs 75K to replace.
vishy76 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 11:05   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Vinay

I am guessing you should've been done by now with the test drive and the evaluation. So, what did you think, how was the car - please do let us know?

In my opinion, as long as the car has been driven well and all regular maintenance has been carried out diligently at an authorised service centre, there should be absolutely nothing wrong with the car, and nothing that should go wrong for at least another 40,000 kms in your case - as long as you too are diligent about maintenance.

My source for this - I own one and have clocked 95,000 kms. But remember, the plural of anecdote is not data

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 28th October 2019 at 11:07.
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 23:31   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Check for the following:

- If the headlamps auto level on startup and work perfectly. A pair costs 1L+ rupees. Park it against the wall and on startup, you should see the beam aligning itself

- ABS sensors. Relatively inexpensive but a pain in the proverbial place to diagnose. Look out for ABS, ESP and power steering lights on the instrument cluster

- Check if the water pump has been replaced before. If it has, good enough. If it hasn't, just be mentally prepared that it might fail in the future and is a known weak link

- Check for any abnormal metallic clangs or clunking while going over deep potholes especially the front left. Points to a gearbox mount issue and is 10K to replace. Also check for any abnormal bouncing or skipping over potholes.

- Funny rumbling noises point to worn out wheel bearings. Keep an ear out for them.

Not much else to look out for. The Jetta is relatively simple in terms of electronics. The DSG gearbox is also niggle free although you might want to look for abnormal vibrations on idling. Points to a worn out flywheel in most cases and costs 75K to replace.
Thank you so much for your input. Fortunately, there were no apparent niggles/ defects.

Quote:
I am guessing you should've been done by now with the test drive and the evaluation. So, what did you think, how was the car - please do let us know?

In my opinion, as long as the car has been driven well and all regular maintenance has been carried out diligently at an authorised service centre, there should be absolutely nothing wrong with the car, and nothing that should go wrong for at least another 40,000 kms in your case - as long as you too are diligent about maintenance.

My source for this - I own one and have clocked 95,000 kms. But remember, the plural of anecdote is not data

Cheers
Yes we did check out the car and we were quite pleased, initially. The car drove like a dream, considering the mileage clocked.

My observations, starting with the cons:

Cons:
  • The car initially didn't start and they had to use a jump starter to start up the engine. We were told that the car still had the original battery which due for replacement, and we were assured that it would be replaced at the A.S.S. (Consequently, the check engine light popped up in the instrument cluster)
    The diesel clatter was a wee bit on the higher side even after warming up the engine from a cold start.
    I, personally, found the horn to be blaring. On asking them about the same, i was informed that cars from the pre-emission gate scandal came with a "double" horn and that volkswagen changed to single horns post that. I'm not sure how far this is true. Although, it is highly unlikely that it is a NVH issue, i'll hold my thoughts on that, which might be of some significance given the previous point.
    I also noticed some condensation in the headlamp after we checked out the headlamp washers. Is this normal?
    The rims on the front right and the one at the back left were scratched. Surely, not a deal breaker, but a fly in the ointment.
    The driver's side door had quite a deep dent towards the bottom edge, for which I was told that the previous owner had dinged it at a pillar, and that the whole door would have to be replaced and they decided against it.
    The passenger side rear view mirror had a scratch running above the indicator.
    The stock speakers had a slight crack coming from the passenger side while playing pop songs.

Pros:
  • The car glided through without any fuss.
    The tyres of the cars were recently changed (don't remember the brand, though )
    The Insurance was recently renewed.
    The car had all of its regular maintenance done at the authorized service centre and all the service records were intact.
    The interiors were neatly maintained and couldn't find any part that was dirty/broken.
    The brakes were great! The bite was just right.

Overall, we were satisfied with the car. But, the quoted price was on the higher side of the market price.
Vinay23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 00:14   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for your input. Fortunately, there were no apparent niggles/ defects.

Yes we did check out the car and we were quite pleased, initially. The car drove like a dream, considering the mileage clocked.

My observations, starting with the cons:

Cons:
  • The car initially didn't start and they had to use a jump starter to start up the engine. We were told that the car still had the original battery which due for replacement, and we were assured that it would be replaced at the A.S.S. (Consequently, the check engine light popped up in the instrument cluster)
    The diesel clatter was a wee bit on the higher side even after warming up the engine from a cold start.
    I, personally, found the horn to be blaring. On asking them about the same, i was informed that cars from the pre-emission gate scandal came with a "double" horn and that volkswagen changed to single horns post that. I'm not sure how far this is true. Although, it is highly unlikely that it is a NVH issue, i'll hold my thoughts on that, which might be of some significance given the previous point.
    I also noticed some condensation in the headlamp after we checked out the headlamp washers. Is this normal?
    The rims on the front right and the one at the back left were scratched. Surely, not a deal breaker, but a fly in the ointment.
    The driver's side door had quite a deep dent towards the bottom edge, for which I was told that the previous owner had dinged it at a pillar, and that the whole door would have to be replaced and they decided against it.
    The passenger side rear view mirror had a scratch running above the indicator.
    The stock speakers had a slight crack coming from the passenger side while playing pop songs.

Pros:
  • The car glided through without any fuss.
    The tyres of the cars were recently changed (don't remember the brand, though )
    The Insurance was recently renewed.
    The car had all of its regular maintenance done at the authorized service centre and all the service records were intact.
    The interiors were neatly maintained and couldn't find any part that was dirty/broken.
    The brakes were great! The bite was just right.

Overall, we were satisfied with the car. But, the quoted price was on the higher side of the market price.
If the horn sounded low pitched and meek, the car is sure to have waded through water. This might be the reason why you noticed condensation inside the headlamps too. There might be several reasons for the CEL to come on, and it can only be diagnosed by hooking the car up to the OBD scanner.

The battery failure is still acceptable for a car of this age.

I think you have room to negotiate heavily if you haven't given up on the deal yet. Just take it to a service centre and pay them a sum to check the car inside out (including the cause for the CEL and the bad horn and most importantly the fogging in the headlamps). Then start negotiations accordingly depending on what all the service centre has to say.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:38   #659
BHPian

Quote:

54000 kms is not big enough to say "considering the mileage clocked". That is still very very young. My 2015 facelift highline DSG (the very same model as the one you're looking at) has already clocked 95000 kms and still drives like it's brand new.

I had to replace the battery at 65000 kms. On TBHP's advice, I went in for an Amaron 74AH battery rather than the OEM one.

I am not really sure that the Check Engine Ligh will come on when the battery is not good. The Battery light will come on of course, but CEL? Not so sure. Get it checked at an ASS.

Diesel clatter - meh - ignore it. You really do not hear it inside the car.

Horn - mine is the double-tone loud one and I like it. I hjave learnt how to make a very slight "bip" when I need to, and then let it BLAAAAARRRRRP when I come across an oblivious lane-blocker who ignores my flashes or polite "bips". Very effective.

Condensation in the headlamps? No, never normal, and never in a Jetta.

Rims scratched and/or bent - meh, ignore them unless the bends are so bad that they affect handling or tyre-wear.

Door-dent due to pillar-hit - yeah; but still cosmetic. You might want to use that as a price-negotiation point, otherwise it does not matter.

Same holds for the scratch in the ORVM cover. See, this is India - scratches and dings are unavoidable and not always your fault.

Speakers crackling - is an issue. Ask the seller to get it fixed or you can use that as a negotiating point.

Good luck with your negotiation. Cheers

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2019 at 17:13. Reason: Quote trimmed. Spacing.
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 22:14   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If the horn sounded low pitched and meek, the car is sure to have waded through water. This might be the reason why you noticed condensation inside the headlamps too. There might be several reasons for the CEL to come on, and it can only be diagnosed by hooking the car up to the OBD scanner.

The battery failure is still acceptable for a car of this age.

I think you have room to negotiate heavily if you haven't given up on the deal yet. Just take it to a service centre and pay them a sum to check the car inside out (including the cause for the CEL and the bad horn and most importantly the fogging in the headlamps). Then start negotiations accordingly depending on what all the service centre has to say.
Actually, it's the opposite. It was too loud to my liking and I found it quite unpleasant. The condensation wasn't very much though- just around the indicator lamps. The dealer's taking the car to the service centre tomorrow for the battery replacement and we were told that the updates regarding the issues would be passed on to us. Time will tell, i guess.

Quote:
54000 kms is not big enough to say "considering the mileage clocked". That is still very very young. My 2015 facelift highline DSG (the very same model as the one you're looking at) has already clocked 95000 kms and still drives like it's brand new.

I had to replace the battery at 65000 kms. On TBHP's advice, I went in for an Amaron 74AH battery rather than the OEM one.

I am not really sure that the Check Engine Ligh will come on when the battery is not good. The Battery light will come on of course, but CEL? Not so sure. Get it checked at an ASS.

Diesel clatter - meh - ignore it. You really do not hear it inside the car.

Horn - mine is the double-tone loud one and I like it. I hjave learnt how to make a very slight "bip" when I need to, and then let it BLAAAAARRRRRP when I come across an oblivious lane-blocker who ignores my flashes or polite "bips". Very effective.

Condensation in the headlamps? No, never normal, and never in a Jetta.

Rims scratched and/or bent - meh, ignore them unless the bends are so bad that they affect handling or tyre-wear.

Door-dent due to pillar-hit - yeah; but still cosmetic. You might want to use that as a price-negotiation point, otherwise it does not matter.

Same holds for the scratch in the ORVM cover. See, this is India - scratches and dings are unavoidable and not always your fault.

Speakers crackling - is an issue. Ask the seller to get it fixed or you can use that as a negotiating point.

Good luck with your negotiation. Cheers
We were told that the CEL popped up because the engine wasn't cranked successfully, and they also assured us that there's nothing wrong with the engine. Will have to see the report after they get it diagnosed at the ASS. We did negotiated the price soon after the test drive and ended up striking a fair deal. Everything's good for now.

I also intend to replace the stock MIB1 HU with something that supports Apple CarPlay. Preferably the MIB2, if volkswagen still sells them as an accessory. If you are aware/ have experienced something better, please do suggest

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks