Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2015, 06:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

I am also in the same boat. I am in the market for a petrol automatic sedan. I was sincerely hoping to give Newly launched vento a hard look. Now with everyone chipping in saying that dsg box is not reliable, I am thinking twice. I really doubt VW has resolved this issue as one of my friend who has a vento tdi barely run 15k has had a issue with it. The VW say it's because of some oil issues and are down playing it. Did the DSG suffer the same fate in superb Octavia and Laura or is this related to only this dq200 box?
Old 26th June 2015, 07:29   #152
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The VW say it's because of some oil issues and are down playing it. Did the DSG suffer the same fate in superb Octavia and Laura or is this related to only this dq200 box?
There are threads on DSG issues on Superb. I was of the impression that the DQ200 box may have problems mainly when it is used with cars delivering 250Nm or more torque (strange that in spite of that being the limit, both VW and Skoda use it in several cars delivering 250Nm torque), and some people mentioned that by switching to mineral oil things have been solved. Clearly, it does not seem so.

What is more scary is that the VW technicians may not be competent enough to even handle such issues.

Adding to that, I am also skeptical about the suspension. The TD Vento (TDI DSG) was in a really bad condition (even though it ran below 10000km). There were sounds coming from everywhere. My cousin (owns a Polo GT TSI, 1.5 years, 17000km) also says he is having some problems with the suspension.

Too bad such wonderful cars have such issues.
Old 26th June 2015, 13:08   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
As I see it, it's not the first owners who are going to get shafted, say after 3 or 4 years and 30/40k km down the line. It's going to be the second owners!
Just to clarify by first timers I mean first time users of DSG tech, not first time car owners.

Quote:
I am also in the same boat. I am in the market for a petrol automatic sedan. I was sincerely hoping to give Newly launched vento a hard look. Now with everyone chipping in saying that dsg box is not reliable, I am thinking twice. I really doubt VW has resolved this issue as one of my friend who has a vento tdi barely run 15k has had a issue with it. The VW say it's because of some oil issues and are down playing it. Did the DSG suffer the same fate in superb Octavia and Laura or is this related to only this dq200 box?
Your friend's car is a Vento diesel DSG? Can you please explain what issues he is having with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
There are threads on DSG issues on Superb. I was of the impression that the DQ200 box may have problems mainly when it is used with cars delivering 250Nm or more torque (strange that in spite of that being the limit, both VW and Skoda use it in several cars delivering 250Nm torque), and some people mentioned that by switching to mineral oil things have been solved. Clearly, it does not seem so.
The Vento 1.2 TSI has 170 nm of torque, so well under the max limit. AFAIk you're right, the DQ200 was put in more powerful cars earlier but now the torque is limited to 250 nm even when used with more powerful engines like the 1.8 TSI in the new Octavia.

Your statement that the issues haven't been resolved is puzzling to me because I haven't heard of a dead DSG ever since the oil change. If you have, could you point me to it please?

Last edited by StarScream : 26th June 2015 at 13:09. Reason: grammar
Old 26th June 2015, 13:52   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The Vento 1.2 TSI has 170 nm of torque, so well under the max limit. AFAIk you're right, the DQ200 was put in more powerful cars earlier but now the torque is limited to 250 nm even when used with more powerful engines like the 1.8 TSI in the new Octavia.

I haven't heard of the gear box issues as such since they moved to the mineral oil. Not sure why this unfounded fear of the current DSG which is a lot improved over the initial versions? All this blaming the DSG for any issue with the car to me sounds like fear mongering for no good reason!

I am planning to buy the Vento and the DSG is one of the prime factors which influences my decision.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 13:55   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post

I haven't heard of the gear box issues as such since they moved to the mineral oil. Not sure why this unfounded fear of the current DSG which is a lot improved over the initial versions? All this blaming the DSG for any issue with the car to me sounds like fear mongering for no good reason!

I am planning to buy the Vento and the DSG is one of the prime factors which influences my decision.
There was a thread about Polo GT DSG failure recently and on the same thread couple of other Polo guys were also complaining about their DSG issues.
Old 26th June 2015, 14:16   #156
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, same here. I visited the showroom today also and liked the car very much. But I am a bit scared. What is more scary is that when such problems appear, the VW service guys do not seem to be able to handle it well. In Kolkata, they haven't even faced this issue because not too many cars with this DSG gearbox have been sold. When the problem arises (if it does), not sure they'll be able to handle it.

Quote:

Your statement that the issues haven't been resolved is puzzling to me because I haven't heard of a dead DSG ever since the oil change. If you have, could you point me to it please?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-issue.html

Here is the thread on Polo GT TSI, probably the most sold car with DSG DQ200 in the last couple of years.
Old 26th June 2015, 14:31   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here is the thread on Polo GT TSI, probably the most sold car with DSG DQ200 in the last couple of years.
This thread is actually about the Vento TSI and not the Polo. Also, this is actually not a complete DSG failure. It is specific to some amount of jerking in specific gears at specific times. So at this time I would not categorize it under the DSG Failures reported earlier.

Having said that, I agree that the fear of DSG will always be there at the back of the mind and unless you can accept that or ignore that fear successfully, you will not be able to buy/enjoy this car.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 15:24   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This thread is actually about the Vento TSI and not the Polo. Also, this is actually not a complete DSG failure. It is specific to some amount of jerking in specific gears at specific times. So at this time I would not categorize it under the DSG Failures reported earlier.
I agree. This is not a complete failure. But it is interesting to read what Paleo wrote in that thread. It seems it is a long known problem and it seems to have caused some very minor accidents on the road too. He went ahead and still booked the car though. It is true, the TSI DSG is hard to resist. Oh and I later realized it is about the very Vento, not the Polo. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Having said that, I agree that the fear of DSG will always be there at the back of the mind and unless you can accept that or ignore that fear successfully, you will not be able to buy/enjoy this car.
Again agree.
Old 26th June 2015, 15:26   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's a fear and a valid one because of past history but there is no proof of the same having occurred in the new crop of cars, just saying.

Quote:

As Rajeevraj said that is a Vento and isn't a true DSG failure. If you look at past threads, the DSG failures were of the dead/car not moving/stranded variety.

The smaller engine, lower torque and the claim of a fix is what made me bite the bullet.

Last edited by StarScream : 26th June 2015 at 15:28.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 15:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to clarify by first timers I mean first time users of DSG tech, not first time car owners.

Your friend's car is a Vento diesel DSG? Can you please explain what issues he is having with it.
Yeah it's a vento diesel DSG. He had a issue of sudden loss of power transfer to the wheels just when he was cruising on a highway just like when you press clutch when you are running engine at 120 kmph speed. He said No amount of pressing the accelerator was able to convert it to forward movement though engine was revving . He then had to slowly manoeuvre the car to halt and tried to drive the car after reslotting it to D but the car wouldn't move. Finally the car moved after bringing the lever to P and the slotting it to D. The next morning the car went dead it wouldn't move after slotting it to D. They had to tow it to Abra motors chennai and then to VW mount road . And since it had extended warranty they replaced the box it seems though he had to pay something out of his pocket.

The VW technicians said it was some oil issue but replaced the box. But why change the box when it had only oil issue? And that too at less than 15k km on the odometer?. It could be one off incident but imagine my horror if something happens at 120 kmph with my kid in the car.
geeash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 15:43   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it's a vento diesel DSG. He had a issue of sudden loss of power transfer to the wheels just when he was cruising on a highway just like when you press clutch when you are running engine at 120 kmph speed. He said No amount of pressing the accelerator was able to convert it to forward movement though engine was revving . He then had to slowly manoeuvre the car to halt and tried to drive the car after reslotting it to D but the car wouldn't move. Finally the car moved after bringing the lever to P and the slotting it to D. The next morning the car went dead it wouldn't move after slotting it to D. They had to tow it to Abra motors chennai and then to VW mount road . And since it had extended warranty they replaced the box it seems though he had to pay something out of his pocket.

The VW technicians said it was some oil issue but replaced the box. But why change the box when it had only oil issue? And that too at less than 15k km on the odometer?. It could be one off incident but imagine my horror if something happens at 120 kmph with my kid in the car.
Thanks for this bit of info. It would be good if you can get further details about the change done/cost etc and put up an update the the Polo/Vento DSG Issues thread.
Old 26th June 2015, 16:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now that sounds like a proper DSG failure. More details would be much appreciated please.
Old 26th June 2015, 16:03   #163
BHPian

That's bad! But which model year vehicle was this? Also do you know if your friend had faced any gear box related issue before this happened?

Quote:
Yeah it's a vento diesel DSG. He had a issue of sudden loss of power transfer to the wheels just when he was cruising on a highway just like when you press clutch when you are running engine at 120 kmph speed.

Last edited by Bhodrolok : 26th June 2015 at 16:20.
Old 27th June 2015, 09:58   #164
Senior - BHPian

2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
That's bad! But which model year vehicle was this? Also do you know if your friend had faced any gear box related issue before this happened?

2014 I think he was the early birds to book when it was launched. Will enquire exact n let you know which month Never had any issues before. But now after change he has occasional jerking issues especially going uphill

Quote:
Thanks for this bit of info. It would be good if you can get further details about the change done/cost etc and put up an update the the Polo/Vento DSG Issues thread.

Quote:
Now that sounds like a proper DSG failure. More details would be much appreciated please.

The VW towed the vehicle to Abra motors chennai service where they tried to fix the issue. That's where the technician told him that it was just a oil issue and can be addressed. I was there with my friend when we spoke to the technician as he had sent me a sos call. Technician said it was a oil leak issue but when we questioned him that we did not see any leak or any warning in the display he had no answer. They said they would change the oil and test run it for a couple of days and send back a word. But on 3 rd day the SA called up and said there are some other heating issues and it cannot be addressed in Abra motors and they are taking the car to VW mount road to some senior technician. That's when we sensed something fishy. We questioned why can senior technician be brought here than towing the car there. They said all the equipments cannot be brought to Abra and they took the car to VW whites road. A couple of days later SA called and told the oil and heating issue could not be addressed and since the car is in warranty extended they would replace the box. We asked them in detail why it happened no one had any answer. My friend had no other alternate car and his wife was due for delivery of their first kid. So he wanted the car badly back so agreed to change. The whole mechatronic unit was changed and also whole of clutch pack and some upgrade of software. They hushed up the issue once the new box was plonked. These are the details I know of. I don't know exactly how much he paid out of hand. Will enquire and let know.

Last edited by geeash : 27th June 2015 at 10:19.
geeash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 10:16   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2013 I think. Never had any issues before. But now after change he has occasional jerking issues especially going uphill.

Will enquire and let know.
Thanks for the details. Are you sure it is a 2013 car? The tdi dsg came out only in 2014. Or is it the tsi dsg?

Looks like this is exactly same as issue 3 reported by ahmadnaik in his thread. But in his case it happened only once and could not be replicated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks