Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 21:49   #1216
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
A good looking car - will turn heads for the early buyers.
Don't like the interiors though - severe mismatch in it's exterior looks and rather boring interior in my opinion.
I feel the same applies to the Baleno. Good exterior looks, interior that is a tad bland for me but that doesn't seem to slow its sales down.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 21:54   #1217
BANNED

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I feel the same applies to the Baleno. Good exterior looks, interior that is a tad bland for me but that doesn't seem to slow its sales down.
The trick that is working for Baleno is all black interiors with a slight touch of silver, change the dashboard to other colors and one will find out that it's not that premium. A wise choice by Maruti as always unlike Tata.

Last edited by wheelguy : 11th December 2019 at 22:03.
Old 11th December 2019, 23:20   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
The trick that is working for Baleno is all black interiors with a slight touch of silver, change the dashboard to other colors and one will find out that it's not that premium. A wise choice by Maruti as always unlike Tata.
What is actually working for maruti is the Indian population who blindly buys maruti cars just because of maruti name and a little better fuel economy, they don't care about the actual important aspects which really matter like safety, build quality and dynamics.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th December 2019 at 23:33. Reason: Please keep it civil on the forum. Your point stands on its own without name-calling.
yesyeswe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 23:24   #1219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
What is actually working for maruti is the Indian population who blindly buys maruti cars just because of maruti name and a little better fuel economy, they don't care about the actual important aspects which really matter like safety, build quality and dynamics.
What you said is right to a large extent, but calling them names is a bit harsh on them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th December 2019 at 23:36. Reason: Quoted post edited. Your response reworded suitably.
Old 11th December 2019, 23:50   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultandon View Post
Is it only me, or do others also feel that its a Modified Indica?

If you are getting Indica vibes from Altroz, then nothing is wrong. Maybe you are viewing something that many are not able to see. Everyone is free to put their views. But I want to tell you that when Indica was launched in 1998, then within a week it had 1.15 lakh bookings. A maximum of those were made just after looking at the car.
For the source of information, you can google it.

Last edited by navin : 12th December 2019 at 15:52. Reason: typos
Prateek19 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 01:31   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
The Swift & Baleno have brilliant 1.2L engines
Swift and Baleno engines feel better because the cars are approximately 20% lighter than all competing products in the market. If you look at the peak power and torque figures, they are all in the same ballpark with jazz scoring the highest at 90ps vs mid 80s for the rest of the pack.
niteshbids is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:34   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
Swift and Baleno engines feel better because the cars are approximately 20% lighter than all competing products in the market. If you look at the peak power and torque figures, they are all in the same ballpark with jazz scoring the highest at 90ps vs mid 80s for the rest of the pack.
Only when the Altroz comes on roads we can conclude how the same Tiago Petrol engine feels in there. I have a Tiago and it has a plenty of vibrations. I heard this Altroz will have a engine shaft balancer to reduce the vibrations the similar way as in Tigor. If Tata really wants to compete in petrol side this is something critical for them. We Indians will not care much about safety. As very evident during my Maruti Estilo purchase experience back in 2010 wherein I had asked about the flimsy build quality and the response I got was " Sir, such accident things happen once in a while". After that I became a hater for Maruti and their heartect platform added fuel further to my hatred.
Diesel engine for Altroz seems like a gem at 1.5 liters, from Nexon with smaller Turbo. Some reviews say the power of petrol appears a bit less on highway but I doubt if that will be a showstopper for many buyers.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 12th December 2019 at 09:36.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:02   #1223
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz to be launched on January 22, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Is this going to replace Tiago or sell along side? If latter then it adds to never-ending list of hatchbacks from Tata - Nano, Bolt, Tiago and now Altroz. Glad that Indica, Vista are not sold anymore. BTW, isn't 2 more hatchbacks planned - Hornbill & Pixel? Now these in the age of Creta, Seltos?
  1. Tiago is a full segment (and half thanks to how media houses portray it) below the Altroz. These two will sell in their respective segments. Look around and you'll see that the Tiago face-lift is already doing last stage testing in production guise & should launch early next year. So no question of discontinuing the marque.
  2. The Bolt will get discontinued or relegated purely to taxi duties. I think discontinuation is what will happen.
  3. Nano is already discontinued.
  4. Pixel - I never heard of it becoming a mass produced car. I don't think it went ahead from the concept stage in volumes.
  5. Hornbill - its expected to be feature loaded ultra-compact tall hatch between Tiago-Altroz territory. I don't see the relation with the age of Creta-Seltos at all. Have a look at the cars that Maruti & Renault are selling and sales numbers. Not everyone can afford a 15 lakh rupee worth large hatchback (SUV).
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 11:06   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread title: "Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz".

What is a 'premium hatchback'?

By definition, premium goods are of a higher than usual quality and are often expensive.

In that context what is premium in the Altroz?

Last edited by kiku007 : 12th December 2019 at 11:08.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 11:18   #1225
BANNED

So much of nit-picking if it's anything from the house Tata Motors, and it never ends. I don't think any other manufacturer undergoes criticism of this magnitude on our forum.

Last edited by wheelguy : 12th December 2019 at 11:28.
wheelguy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 11:37   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Elementary, my dear Watson. It's just like Maruti calling the S-Presso a 'micro-SUV' or MG calling themselves a 'British heritage' brand.

Marketing 101!

When Bhpian RavenAvi named this thread in 2015, surely he couldn't have then predicted the 'premiumness' quotient of the car that would launch only after 5 years?

Quote:
I don't think any other manufacturer undergoes criticism of this magnitude on our forum.
'Tin can' makers Maruti would like a word.

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 12th December 2019 at 11:47.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 11:42   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By definition, premium goods are of a higher than usual quality and are often expensive.
The incumbents in "Premium hatchback segment" are -
  1. Suzuki Baleno
  2. Toyota Glanza (yeah right)
  3. Hyundai i20
  4. Honda Jazz
Now suddenly Altroz's claim to be a premium hatchback will sound fully justified. Its all about relativity mate. Compare it with the peers in context. Not a European luxury car.
Reinhard is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 12:28   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
So much of nit-picking if it's anything from the house Tata Motors, and it never ends. I don't think any other manufacturer undergoes criticism of this magnitude on our forum.
Well, just somewhere else, Indian Juggad is being used to address random rattling noise coming from showroom delivered vehicles. Indeed that's not termed as Half Baked product, rather its going to be COTY
gutsy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 12:37   #1229
BHPian

For this segment, premium means:
1. More space inside.
2. Feature loaded.
3. Better interior quality Vs the swift/Ignis/i10 segment
4. Safety

Altroz seems to kick all boxes as of now (minus lack of automatic). That's how the car companies have marketed this segment till now. None of the cars in this segment are marketed for their engine's power as it's USP. The buyers are regular janataa who are not enthusiasts. These are folks who had a small car and now want something bigger but with the same driving characteristics of their current small car, or millennials who will soon have a bigger family and hence want a spacious hatch. The general public has very less knowledge and buy cars basis a combination of perception+hear say+test drive experience+what people are suggesting. They don't sit with tech specs, do analysis and then buy.

I think Altroz is a brilliant product. It's a Baleno with better build. The option of space+decent build was just the Jazz. I20 is considerably less spacious than Baleno and Jazz. Altroz is now an addition as an option in this segment.

I just hope Tata feels the pinch by listening to all the reviewers who are disappointed by Tata for not launching an automatic. In this day and age and especially in this segment, have that damn Auto ready ASAP. They have the momentum right now as people are talking about this car, Instagram is filled with its hashtags, so launch the automatic ASAP to pull in the urban folks who are tired of using the clutch in crazy B2B traffic. That's when the true premiumness will be realised.
Dieselritzer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 14:10   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Thread title: "Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz".

Baleno can sell with a 75 BHP diesel, i20 can sell with rears washer/wiper only in the top-spec variant but TATA shouldn't call Altroz, a premium hatchback?
klassics45 is offline   (35) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks