Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2017, 14:56   #1021
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
As per the RBI, the merchant cannot charge over and above MRP if you're paying by card. Just because 'it's common in every dealership' does not mean it's legal
Thanks namanchaudhary, that is the reason I am disturbed about it. Comments from anyone who has recent experience in using Credit Card for vehicle purchase is appreciated.
Old 25th October 2017, 16:57   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Thanks namanchaudhary, that is the reason I am disturbed about it. Comments from anyone who has recent experience in using Credit Card for vehicle purchase is appreciated.
We purchased our Creta by swiping multiple debit and credit cards (it was 1st April, banks/ RTGS was closed). At the time of payment, transaction charge wasn't raised and we didn't realize it ourselves.

Next day, before the delivery, the sales-person called me aside and asked to pay the additional ~23,000. We flat out refused. I told them to get it refunded from their banks. The vehicle was already registered in my name.

The let it go saying they will discuss internally. I got a call next day that I've to pay it since its a cost to them. I spoke to their MD, explained to him that we weren't made aware of the charges else we would have delayed the payment instead. Reluctantly, he let it go.

However, I think this happened since the salespeople themselves weren't aware of this at the time of payment. It's a cost to the seller and many try to circumvent it, despite RBI's guidelines against it.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:15   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I would like to fit a tyre pressure monitor (TPM) in my Verna. Are there any after-market options available?
I purchased one with external sensors from aliexpress and it got delivered recently. Will be doing the install this weekend. If you want I can share the link with you.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 09:43   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
I paid Rs 25,000 as booking amount for my Skoda. I didn't have to pay any extra amount. Also, I pay for all my after sales services using card but i have never paid anything extra other than the amount to be paid.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 10:18   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I paid Rs 25,000 as booking amount for my Skoda. I didn't have to pay any extra amount. Also, I pay for all my after sales services using card but i have never paid anything extra other than the amount to be paid.
Same here. Always paid using card at Surakshaa in Bangalore for Maruti Ritz and continue to pay for Maruti Swift. Never was I charged extra
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 00:58   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
So, in terms of outright performance, which one would you guys prefer?.
In terms of outright performance no car in this price range can beat city petrol manual. My ANHC 2015 takes less than 10 seconds to reach 100kmph and that too in just second gear. While I drove my friends Verna Diesel and recorded 0-100 time was around 11 seconds.
ALso there are various videos on youtube comparing acceleration of both like
Though the video compares petrol versions you can guess what will be the result of drag between city petrol and verna diesel considering verna's additional weight.
Also city petrol feels more agile than verna diesel and is better handler.
Old 27th October 2017, 08:48   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I would like to fit a tyre pressure monitor (TPM) in my Verna. Are there any after-market options available?
I've installed SensAiry on mine and it has been working a treat. You can read about my experience in this thread (linked earlier by someone else). I highly, highly recommend it. I'm never going to own another car that does not have a TPMS.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 08:59   #1028
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
In terms of outright performance no car in this price range can beat city petrol manual.
+1 to this, I had the chance to witness this myself.

I was in my City iVtec MT and my friend was in his Verna petrol MT and we were driving upto Panchgani/Mahableshwar for the diwali holidays from Mumbai. Both the cars had the same number of passengers and luggage, so there was no weight advantage to any of the cars. Now here's the scene.

Mumbai-Pune was via the expressway, where we both were driving behind each other and I observed that when the Verna used to go over even minor bumps in the road, the car did have some amount of lateral movement even though every reviewer has said that this is not present in the new generation, however this was not as bad the fluidic Verna. On the other hand, my City was much more planted and even on those small bumps the movement was only for that 1 second after which the car would stick to the road perfectly. Then comes the ghats and those who know the road will be aware of how the trucks/buses will block all the 3 lanes while they climb up, cars usually have to find their path by constantly changing lanes, working the gears etc. Here I thaught the Verna will have an advantage because everyone had claimed a stronger low-end compared to the City, but let me tell you it's all on paper. My City took off very good here, the way my car zipped in and out of traffic without the passengers going left-right showed that the bodyroll was more sorted in the City, I could see the passengers of the Verna swaying a little left-right inside. There were times when we were driving parallel to each other and the linear power delivery of the City was much better than the low-end focused Verna and when your Vtec kicks in you can use your IRVM to bid the Verna bye-bye.

Then the way from Pune to Panchgani/Mahableshwar was via a national highway so there was nothing much we could do, the diwali traffic was horrible. Now there is a one-way ghat while going up and this is damn steep not like the Mumbai-Pune ones. Here again my City canned the Verna, I was far far away from him in no time. At Mapro gardens the passengers of both the cars were changed just for time-pass and while I was climbing the inclines to reach Mahableshwar, they commented that they found my engine less noisy while climbing up and liked the tone more. Everything else was quite same for them but I could make out that the girls at the back were feeling more relaxed, maybe because of the space, don't know this. I did see them bury their heads and go to sleep. Both cars performed equally good while going over some really horrible broken roads where we had our left tyres on the stones for most of the times as the road was very narrow.

All in all, the City clearly was better. People who are confused should take proper test drives of both the cars and not listen to the reviews by others. Like I said above, somethings(better low-end) looks good on paper for the Verna but in real-life it was of no use, the car looses it's steam when it gets out of that specific band whereas the City with its linear curve is much stronger and better.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 11:22   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of outright performance no car in this price range can beat city petrol manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
+1 to this, I had the chance to witness this myself.
My City took off very good here, the way my car zipped in and out of traffic without the passengers going left-right showed that the bodyroll was more sorted in the City, I could see the passengers of the Verna swaying a little left-right inside.
Just curious, did you get a chance to drive the Verna yourself in similar conditions?

Not to take anything away from the City, it is also possible (and the way you've written down your observations, very likely I'd reckon) that you are simply a better driver than your Verna owning friend!
Perhaps the new Verna behaves/would-have-behaved equally capably (if not better) in your hands...

Last edited by actinium15 : 27th October 2017 at 11:27.
actinium15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 11:57   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Guys, no offence, but "usually" the car that the "reviewer" owns comes out on top! I mean we are auto enthusiasts and so normally either we drive better or we never give up on the car we own.
I think we should wait for the official review of T-bhp to know if the new Verna has indeed improved on its handling prowess.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 12:55   #1031
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Just curious, did you get a chance to drive the Verna yourself in similar conditions ?
No bro, only the City was driven by me. I don't like to drive someone else's car so didn't even ask for it.

Quote:
Not to take anything away from the City, it is also possible (and the way you've written down your observations, very likely I'd reckon) that you are simply a better driver than your Verna owning friend.
Ummm, I would not like to comment on someone else's driving skills but just for the record, the person driving the Verna was not a newbie/learner. We both are of the same age and have been driving on such highways/ghats since many years, actually both of us are the only ones who can drive for long distances in my friends circle so it was not a case of him being a bad driver.

But, I accept that I am more familiar with my car's engine because I have been primarily driving Vtecs only. When I get the Vtec + MT combo, I know how to work that engine perfectly and that is the reason my car was performing well on the ghats even though they were quite steep. On the other hand my friend driving the Verna was maybe not so familiar and hence could not keep up with me. I suspected that he was keeping the revs very high on the ghats when one of the passengers commented on my engine not making that much noise while climbing up.

Quote:
Perhaps the new Verna behaves/would-have-behaved equally capably (if not better) in your hands...
Yes some things could have improved if someone knowing the Hyundai engine was driving but some things I felt were not driver based, like the lateral movements on the highway straights caused by those small bumps, even the cars performance when driving parallel to me etc.

Another thing to keep note is that when you let go the throttle after reaching a certain speed, the City coasts more freely compared to the Verna. We did this while returning back, both of us reached 100 kmph while we were next to each other and then let go the throttle, when the cars were about to reach 60 kmph my City was slightly ahead of the Verna. Also the AVG on the MID was more in the City, but I didn't mention it here as my car had done the 3rd service(6 months) and is at ~11000 kms while his car was hardly a month old with ~2000 kms so it didn't make sense comparing FE at this stage.

Last edited by OSH : 27th October 2017 at 12:58.
Old 27th October 2017, 16:40   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Though the video compares petrol versions you can guess what will be the result of drag between city petrol and verna diesel considering verna's additional weight.
Also city petrol feels more agile than verna diesel and is better handler.
I've seen this video and yeah the city seems to be the better performer here. With that said, I'm not really sure whether city can hold it against the Verna diesel because of the torque advantage. I so wish we have proper 0-100 figures of all Indian cars. The thing is, I know city can do 0-100 in just under 10 seconds. But, I'm not sure whether the Verna does better. Simple google searches here and there gives the Verna diesel around 10.5-11 seconds for 0-100. Despite having a huge torque advantage, I cannot believe that it does it slower than the city.
Old 27th October 2017, 17:40   #1033

I feel that 0-100 times are not really representative of real world performance. During overtaking manoeuvres on our single lane highways, it is the in gear acceleration that matters which IMO is rather poor for the iVtec. In fact, below 4000RPM it takes forever for the City to get going. I'm not complaining though - It is the poor low end that'll make you a better driver. On Kerala highways, it is always rev match -> downshift -> overtake, and repeat . I routinely have to downshift from 5th to 2nd to overtake those slow moving KSRTC buses safely.

With the Verna diesel, this is not going to be a problem, it pulls cleanly from less than 2000RPMS and you're doing close to 3 digits by the time you hit 4000RPM.

It is precisely this power characteristics that make Verna diesel a better everyday car. Most owners will be driving their Verna in this 2000-4000 power band most of the time. Hardly anyone will be driving around their City like a lunatic at 4000+ RPM.

Verna petrol on the other hand has poor top end. Nothing really happens after 5000RPM and the low end is only just better than that of the iVtec.

Disclaimer: I've only driven the petrol Verna for a short 30km drive.
ashwinsadeep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 19:32   #1034
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
The thing is, I know city can do 0-100 in just under 10 seconds. But, I'm not sure whether the Verna does better. Simple google searches here and there gives the Verna diesel around 10.5-11 seconds for 0-100.
0-100 times won't really matter in real life situations unless you plan to take your car on the tracks. I would say that both the cars are good/bad in some way or the other so finally it will come down to only personal preferences. If I had to be choose between the Honda City iVtec or Hyundai Verna diesel, I would have taken both the cars for a TD on the roads where I would be driving regularly. Drive the cars, see which one suits you and buy it. There is no point in considering other's opinions/comments on both the cars as no one except you will know how you plan to drive the car/how you expect the car to drive.

All the best choosing, your options are the best of what both the manufacturers do. Honda's best is the petrol and Hyundai has their diesels so you have quite a decision to make. Choose whatever you love and then just enjoy.

Quote:
Despite having a huge torque advantage, I cannot believe that it does it slower than the city.
I feel this is the disadvantage of having an engine that is focused more on low-end than say the iVtec which has a more linear delivery. In the case of Verna you must be getting a lot of torque only for say 2-3 seconds, for the City you get good/adequate torque(maybe even lesser than Verna) but throughout the rev range which gives the iVtec an edge. So in 0-100 runs the Verna must be taking time to build up speed after it gets out of that 'low-end' but the City keeps on building up speed irrespective of the rpm it is in. The City is also lighter than the Verna.

Verna should have performed better in the ghats because of the better low-end but that was not the case, somethings look good only on paper. Refer to my post #1028 of this thread to understand what I meant by this. The comparo was with a petrol Verna though.

I would again like to mention that I have not driven the Verna, the claims of having better low-end is from the owners here and I have just put my views keeping in mind what they have said.

Last edited by OSH : 27th October 2017 at 19:42.
Old 27th October 2017, 22:42   #1035
BHPian

For the new Hyundai Verna owners on this thread: Have you found a way to have the dashboard MID display the km/liter to date? Looks like it takes it post the last time the fuel tank was filled.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks