Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 15:22   #31
BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Looks more like an updated Swift than a whole new car to me, specially from the front. Only the side profile has a modern look to it sans the rear fender which looks like bulging out. From the pics of Volkman10's post, any non-enthusiast will mistake it for a swift. Need to see more in detail though. But it seems like Maruti is in a hurry to fill up its Nexa showrooms with back to back launches namely Scross, Ciaz smart hybrid and now Baleno.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 16:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

The integration of the hood crease, front grille and Swift-esque headlamps looks weird. Would look much nicer with smaller headlamps (projectors inside) and the hood-line wrapping around the top.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th September 2015 at 17:00.
Old 9th September 2015, 00:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I am happy that there is no beige crap. And a bit surprised the first car assembled is not a top most variant! Or is it just a random pic.

Secondly, looks like Maruti got some nice colors on this model. And the car does look WIDE!! Awaiting the details.
Old 9th September 2015, 01:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would really like to know the official stand of MSIL regarding wheel cap and Alloys design. While they are launching NEXA specific cars but their wheel caps and Alloys look to be worthy of LCVs. Even Tata Ace has better looking wheel caps than Baleno and S Cross.
Either they give the order to the cheapest supplier, design being damned, or they are sure that the buyer will anyway change it, so give him anything for that sake.
Maruti should learn a thing or two from Fiat, Hyundai and especially Tata about designing the wheel caps/Alloys.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 02:52   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Either they give the order to the cheapest supplier, design being damned, or they are sure that the buyer will anyway change it, so give him anything for that sake.
I guess its their lack of imagination due to which they are coming up with such horrendous designs. Most of their alloys are Enkei made, so that's not at all a bad company to start with.
Let's face it- designs are a personal preference, but I haven't met a single person who seems to have an affinity towards the S-Cross alloys. To me, they have also lost the plot regarding how to design cars.

After Ciaz, all of their new designs are crappy, or bordering on crappy!!
1. Celerio
2. Facelifted Dzire
3. Facelifted Ertiga
4. S Cross ( specially that stooping nose and grille)
5. International Vitara's bulbous and unimaginative rear
6. Now this Baleno

I agree it has a nice stance and side profile looks good. But how on earth are they even planning to compete with cars like Elite i20 and Honda Jazz with such plain jane design??

Its high time we have a thread running titled- Maruti Design- The way forward , not because they have done any major offence yet. If this disease isn't cured at this stage, our roads will be plagued with sad looking cars. Simply copying design elements from different cars without integrating them won't work now.

If Suzuki designers are so unimaginative, what is stopping them from hiring design engineers from other firms?? Hyundai hired some german designer for their Grand i10, why can't Suzuki??

I hope someone at Suzuki reads this and realises, before its too late. They should come up with a design language of their own, much like the Exciting H design of Honda or the Fluidic design of Hyundai. I am not asking for a busy looking design, but is it too much to ask for a timeless classic design?? If I remember correctly, they are the same company who designed the Zen!!

Maruti- If at all these things are impossible for you, please send the cars without any alloys- plain steel wheels will do- It will hurt a lot lesser to get peanuts for those steel wheels rather than ugly looking alloys.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:56   #36
BHPian

I am not sure if anyone has done it or can it be done. My imagination is that, if possible, colour/paint the huge silver reflector in the headlight with body color. This will blend nice with the bonnet and will not give the SWIFTish looks. And It may even enhance the stance from front.

Maybe someone good at photoshop can try doing that and post a pic here
Old 9th September 2015, 13:09   #37
BHPian

As per IAB, first unit of Baleno rolls out of Manesar facility.
Likely to be launched in India by Diwali.

Source
http://indianautosblog.com/2015/09/s...n-india-190792
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:15   #38
BHPian

The front has Swift facelift written all over it. I think the designers in Maruti have taken a relaxed attitude off late. With the S-Cross too, we saw very basic styling, but they made up for it with premium interiors. The international version looks far better IMO. The customer wants something different now. Not the same designs. Change is fundamental. Change can be good.
Old 9th September 2015, 17:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I would really like to know the official stand of MSIL regarding wheel cap and Alloys design. While they are launching NEXA specific cars but their wheel caps and Alloys look to be worthy of LCVs. Even Tata Ace has better looking wheel caps than Baleno and S Cross.
Maruti should learn a thing or two from Fiat, Hyundai and especially Tata about designing the wheel caps/Alloys.
S-cross has some ordinary design for wheel caps and alloys for sure. But this one looks absolutely fine to me. Its not great but not bad either. Its kinda neutral design which is accepted to most of the people. You didn't like it is a different story as people have their own choices. You can get some hot alloys for yourself.

Generally manufacturer's design wheel caps which will suit to most of the colour's & looks neutral. Flashy wheel caps or alloys generally disliked by many normal people. Tata has some flashy alloys for Manza as OE fitment, but it was not liked by many. As far as quality is concerned, I can assure you that wheel caps provided by Maruti are of very good quality. They lasts for years if you don't hit them hard. I am telling by my own experience.
Old 9th September 2015, 17:36   #40
BHPian

So another launch by Maruti and most likey during the Diwali festival season. Looks like the company is expanding model portfolio very quickly. Will YRA replace the Ritz? Feels proud that this car will be manufactured in India for exports across the world including home country Japan.
Maruti will import engines and export finished cars to Japan.

It will be interesting to see both left hand and right hand drive cars rolling off the same assembly line!
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:45   #41
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More pics from the assembly line. Panel and dials similar to S Cross.

Note the Red Baleno - you can gauge the side profile of it.

Source: The Automotive India
The long sloping roof has a hint of Porsche Panamera, I guess.

The silver one clearly shows it has projector setup which should differentiate it from swift.
Old 9th September 2015, 18:46   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Seems like the car is very very wide - wider than Ciaz? What is the width? I can see 1920mm width in websites, but I thought that includes the wing mirrors. Is it not?
Old 9th September 2015, 20:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
The above pictures of Baleno, if instead of in this thread had been posted in the other thread of the new upcoming Swift, wouldn't have been very much out of place.

If the new Baleno looks so similar to the Swift, I don't know how MSIL will design the all new Swift.
I showed the first set of pics, casually, to my wife and asked her which car this is one and she spontaneously responded that it is a new Dzire. When I said that she was wrong, then she said that it is the new Swift.

The peacock blue colored Baleno in the second set of looks good, though.

The twin chrome grill for the Indian market will spoil the looks further IMO.
Old 9th September 2015, 21:23   #44
BHPian

Looks quite better than the S Cross,might have a better interior as well and should be better to drive too. Although I don't think that the public would appreciate that it looks like a bloated swift. Still,not a deal breaker and Nexa showrooms experience would further swing things towards Maruti's side.
Old 9th September 2015, 21:45   #45
BHPian

I think MS are going pretty conservative and flat on the design front recently. Diaz for example was a simple, elegant design but lacks the flare to compete against Honda City. S-Cross again was a pretty conservative design and looks more like a big hatch when it needs to compete with the likes of butch looks of Duster, Creta, Terrano. Yet again with this YRA the design is pretty flat and looks more like a tweaked version of Swift than an all new car. Although these flat designs might be accepted by customers mostly because of the Maruti badge, they need to start coming up with better and stand out designs.

Maruti needs to think about new engines especially the 1.3 Diesel which is quite under powered for Ciaz, Ertiga and also S-cross. I guess if they provide an option for the 1.6 Diesel (similar to S-Cross) across Ciaz, Ertiga and YRA it will interest the enthusiasts who are looking for power.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks