Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 21:20   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
If it breaches 20 to 25 lakh margin then Tuscon might become a non starter for hyundai because of the presence of more than capable innova crysta in the same price bracket.
Comparing a Tucson with an Innova is really not fair.. as just like Tucson lacks the 3rd row of seating and practicality of the Innova, the Innova lacks the 4-Wheel Drive of the Tucson, the Dual-Clutch 7 Speed transmission which is an option in Tucson as also the several safety assist features like Tyre Pressure Monitoring, EBD, Traction Control etc which are touted to be standard across the range. Also in offer would be other conveniences which Hyundai is known for like auto-tailgate lifting or lane change assist, flexsteer system etc which the top end will come with (flexsteer can convert the steering resistance from hard to light depending on situation). Innova as Jkdas has mentioned above has received criticism for lack of quality for its price, the hard steering and poor interior sound-deadening too.

Its more appropriate to compare Tucson with the Skoda Yeti, which is about the only existing car for sale in India which matches the specifications of Tucson and can compare in every way from fit-&-finish, 4WD & to its price of approx. 21-24+ lacs on road depending on city and variant. Even then Tucson is 10 inches longer with 4 inches of additional wheelbase. Both make good buys in their own way and neither will set the sales charts on fire like the Creta or Duster did.. they are premium soft-roaders for the urbane opulent family and might sell a couple of hundred units a month if lucky.

I feel just like the Tucson is a half level below Fortuner, the Innova is also a half-level below Tucson in every sense and such a comparison is not suitable. The Innova will remain high up on the sales charts just like the Honda City for its own unique reasons.

Here's an interesting review of the Tucson by a great review channel which looks at each car quite closely :

dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 05:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Tuscon should also have the 4x4 option which Creta or Crysta dont have.
If it does, it'll only be an AWD. It won't have a transfer case with a low-ratio box as it is positioned as a crossover. While the Hyundai might have better quality compared to the Crysta/XUV, the lack of 7 seats could hurt it.

Quote:
while an automatic gearbox is on the cards as well.
I just hope that this information is written by a noob and is not what Hyundai provided.

An AT is a must with cars that command that kind of price tag. And the manufacturer must work with their suppliers to ensure that waiting periods are minimized.

Quote:
Inspite of being first and second in Indian car manufacturing scene, maruti and Hyundai share a common inability in making their premium products a success. Somehow the buying public doesn't feel like paying this premium for a Hyundai or maruti.
This is wrong.

Maruti and Hyundai can be trusted blindly. This gives owners piece of mind. It's just that their previous products in higher segments have not met the segment expectations.

The Ciaz and the Creta are examples that Suzuki and Hyundai can equal and sometimes beat segment leaders. The Verna also was selling well until the new City came and took the throne.

But the Tucson is going to have a tough time if it's going to compete with the XUV500 and Innova Crysta without 7 seats.(It's not going to be knife to a gunfight) The Creta didn't have formidable competition and the Hyundai badge was a assurance to customers that they're going to get good quality and ASS experience.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 15th July 2016 at 05:29.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 06:56   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it breaches 20 to 25 lakh margin then Tuscon might become a non starter for hyundai because of the presence of more than capable innova crysta in the same price bracket. Inspite of being first and second in Indian car manufacturing scene, maruti and Hyundai share a common inability in making their premium products a success. Somehow the buying public doesn't feel like paying this premium for a Hyundai or maruti. The lack of third row seat will also work against Tuscon which is otherwise expected to be a decent product from Hyundai stable.
I don’t see much of a cross-shopping there. The capable Innvoa Crysta is a large 7-seater MPV whereas the Tucson is quite a handsome looking cross-over. It will appeal for those who are willing to spend 15-20 lakhs on a small/medium sized cross-over but wanted a bit more premium feel than the likes of the Creta. This is a hugely positive launch in my opinion; the success of this can bring in more players to the segment (e.g.; Honda Vezel).

I hope Hyundai does not dilute the Tucson too much in the name of localization.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 16:55   #94
BHPian

Just read this

Hyundai Tucson India launch could get delayed. As per this report, http://overdrive.in/news/hyundai-tuc...d-get-delayed/, the South Korean automobile giant is contemplating on pushing the launch of the Tucson to the end of this year.
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 18:54   #95
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
This car is going to face a lot of challenges. We were skeptical about Hyundai's ambitions after seeing the Creta's price, but the volumes has really surprised us. The tucson will surely be priced higher.

The tucson is going to compete with the Innova crysta and the Mahindra XUV 500 which are formidable packages. Lack of third row seating is going to really hurt Hyundai.

The 2.0 just produces 136 horses.
The Tucson will probably be priced in the mid-twenties since it necessarily has to sit above the Creta and below the Santa Fe.

The comparison with Innova Crysta is not really apples to apples because the Tucson is a typical Urban Soft Roader SUV whereas the Innova Crysta is more of a good quality people carrier for the private user segment.

I wouldn't compare Tucson with the XUV - for one thing Hyundai has a far higher quality of fit, finish and finesse than M&M and in any case the vehicle will be positioned as a segment higher, bearing in mind its more "International" character and pedigree.

The Tucson, in some sense, becomes a Diesel alternative for someone considering the Honda CRV. Exactly like it was when the last Tucson was launched here in India in 2005. The Tucson was always the option chosen by people who wanted something like the Honda CRV but with a Diesel engine.

In those days it was around 18 lacs on road Bangalore - seriously expensive at the time.

But now, even the Creta is priced so high, and people no longer seem to bat an eyelid if a vehicle price exceeds 20-25 lacs...

Times certainly have changed and along with them, both earnings as well as aspirations of the car buying public!
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:11   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmed - Hyundai India will be launching the all-new Tucson SUV in October 2016 via the CKD route with close to 50% localisation levels.

CarDekho
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 21:53   #97
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Great review shared by dark knight. Interesting that the reviewer ended with ... My overall impression,"just average". I for one was looking at something of this size. Will keenly wait and watch.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:14   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Great review shared by dark knight. Interesting that the reviewer ended with ... My overall impression,"just average". I for one was looking at something of this size. Will keenly wait and watch.
Thanks for the mention, and having seen his type of reviews and more so the context in which he said "just average", he was actually referring to the centre console unit and sound, more so the sound quality, equalizer and software control overall.

His reviews are never such that he draws a conclusion in the end, because no car is ever perfect. Likewise here too the review just signs off on the note of an "average" centre console for most general buyers. Its up to the buyer to draw a conclusion on the whole car based on one or several reviews. I won't be exaggerating if I say that the hate for Hyundai in general is more than unwarranted in 90% mainstream/YT reviews.

For example a Corolla is actually a bad handler with tons of under-steer, no grip and loose feel at higher RPM's and its mentioned so by the same review channel .. yet the public talks of Toyota "reliability", there is no doubt their cars are reliable but they got their problems too. Likewise Honda makes good cars to drive, or atleast the Civic is, but then no one talks about how Honda is below par in reliability. Hyundai does have its issues, mainly to do with driving feel but they should get there in due course and they are not the worst surely, just falling in between Honda and Toyota. In the meantime reliability rankings are out and Hyundai has surpassed Honda by a big margin and Toyota by a slim one to enter the top 3 worldwide (other 2 being sister company Kia & the prestigious Porsche), yet no one equates Hyundai to reliability.

That's why I find that review channels like the one above and 'Alex on Autos' are bit more balanced, truthful and fair as far as brands go.. even if they spare no mercy on the end product which I've no problem with. Hyundai is far from perfect but as a package it isn't too bad at all and improving by the day.

Last edited by dark.knight : 25th August 2016 at 23:17.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 23:39   #99
BHPian

The Tucson offers a very good package, and though not comparable with the Innova, or XUV, due to certain aspects, there will, no doubt, be competition between them. The Tucson will only attract a specific type of buyer, who is willing to spend a bit more cash.
Because this is definitely a more desirable car than the Innova. Its got road presence, striking looks, a proper rear end design (Yes Innova, I'm looking at you), good engines, 4WD, and as its a Hyundai, refinement.
What it does fall short on, is rear seat space, and the lack of a 3rd row. The rear seat won't be as spacious as the Innova definitely, but from what I observed , it might be around the same as in the Creta. So, someone looking for that sort of thing will definitely go for the Innova.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:48   #100
BHPian

"We will be launching Tucson in October-November this year," Managaing Director Y.K.Koo told reporters here on Thursday.

According to him, the diesel Tucson will be powered by two litre engine imported from Korea and will be positioned between Creta and Santa FE.

Koo said the Tucson will be priced between Rs 25 lakh and Rs 30 lakh.

ET article

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Has there been any official confirmation about the India launch and engine options?

Thanks

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 28th October 2016 at 22:21. Reason: Tuscan = Tucson
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 00:48   #101
Team-BHP Support

With Hyundai pulling a rabbit out of the price-tag hat this month by shocking a bunch of people with a 13 lakh base ex-showroom price for the new Elantra, I wouldn't be surprised if they start off the Tucson @ 17 lakhs base ex-showroom. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it were subjected to a few, significantly wallet-pinching price-hikes before it stablizes at 19.5 for the base.

It will be interesting to see if the much-awaited Renault Kaptur occupies a spot in the same segment sooner rather than later. It's got th e potential to take away some of the Tucson's sales.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 08:43   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's TOI press report quotes a Hyundai official stating pricing in the 25-30 Lakh range for the Tucson! What are they smoking? I drove the Kia Sportage, almost identical twin of the Tucson in the US over a week in May. The car is decent to drive, but built like a feather, it is wafer thin and you feel nervous to close the boot lid with the boot full of luggage, for fear it would bend the sheet metal...

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th August 2016 at 08:47.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 09:02   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
positioned between Creta and Santa FE.

Koo said the Tucson will be priced between Rs 25 lakh and Rs 30 lakh.

ET article
At 30L for top end, why won't one go ahead and get the Santa Fe? I think Suhaas's speculation is more in line rather than the Hyundai's MD, Mr. Koo. And if Mr. Koo's hint of 25-30L pricing stays, then this will be a jinxed product for them.

And ET should learn some spellings of the product it is writing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
With Hyundai pulling a rabbit out of the price-tag hat this month by shocking a bunch of people with a 13 lakh base ex-showroom price for the new Elantra, I wouldn't be surprised if they start off the Tucson @ 17 lakhs base ex-showroom. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it were subjected to a few, significantly wallet-pinching price-hikes before it stablizes at 19.5 for the base.
Can this Hyundai off-road a bit?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 28th October 2016 at 22:21. Reason: Quoted post edited. Updated your post.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:57   #104
BHPian

Tucson is going to rival the Honda CRV which sells in the range of 23-27L Ex showroom. The Diesel version is also coming up which will probably fit in the range of 25-30L Ex showroom. Would it really make sense for Hyundai to position Tucson starting at 17L? It would definitely rattle this segment should they do it. Even if they do it, the base versions of Hyundai generally have absolutely no frills attached, so you dont want to spend 17L+ and still lose out on features which are probably present in the cheaper XUV500. The real meat would be in the SX(O) versions which would easily be in the range of 25L. Best to wait and watch their strategy.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:07   #105
Team-BHP Support

My speculation that they will initially give it a mouth-watering introductory-price is based on how they've recently priced the Elantra. It is possible though, that Hyundai had to resort to such pricing because the Elantra wasn't moving off the shelves as quickly as they would have liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can this Hyundai off-road a bit?
We shouldn't expect serious mud-plugging abilities, but I'm certain it could do mild off-roading, should the need arise.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks