Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2016, 15:03   #301
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatestmj View Post
Is ground clearance of 172 mm going to be trouble for bad roads? My Honda City has 165 mm and it is a problem on bad roads. Bottom gets hit on massive bumps or large potholes. 172 mm does not instill the same confidence as 205 mm of my Duster. Any views?
Even I share the same view. I wonder if the Tucson can really be called a 'Soft-Roader'. With the ground clearance of 172mm, the only thing it will give its owner (as an SUV) is the higher driving position and the bragging rights of owning an SUV.
Old 19th November 2016, 15:14   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatestmj View Post
Is ground clearance of 172 mm going to be trouble for bad roads? My Honda City has 165 mm and it is a problem on bad roads. Bottom gets hit on massive bumps or large potholes. 172 mm does not instill the same confidence as 205 mm of my Duster. Any views?
Yes, 172 mm seems low but the Underbelly Scraping depends on suspension setup. I am quite sure that you won't have that same confidence when driving the Tuscon like you have on Duster. I guess, The Official Review will give us an idea regarding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Even I share the same view. I wonder if the Tucson can really be called a 'Soft-Roader'. With the ground clearance of 172mm, the only thing it will give its owner (as an SUV) is the higher driving position and the bragging rights of owning an SUV.
Yes, the Tuscon is indeed a Soft Roader, it doesn't have the looks of the capability of Off Roader. AWD Option doesn't make it a Pure 4x4 though. Just like you said, it's a car with High Seating Position. Height is also not that great.
Old 19th November 2016, 15:17   #303
BANNED

I have my own set of doubts over this 172mm figure. It is definitely going to be something like the GC we have in XUV, something useless installed at some place where it won't mae much difference to cheat the GC - Taxes rule.
Old 19th November 2016, 16:50   #304
BHPian

The overdrive review is also out. Rohit Patankar gives a detailed account.

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 19:30   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish View Post
This is precisely what I had written in my observations earlier. As the autocar reviewer sums it up, the Tucson is actually going after the Q3 and X1. It offers just about everything other than the brand value but the longevity (how the car ages) is unknown. That's the risk factor. Nevertheless I have taken the plunge and have booked the top end diesel in white!
Saw it in the showroom today. It has great road presence and is miles ahead of Creta in terms of size, quality and features. It is slightly smaller than the Santa Fe and the interiors and equipment looked better than Santa Fe. Price is steep, but if you have the budget, it is better to go for it than buying the base model of X1 or Q3 which may not be as spacious or laden with features. Congrats on your buy.
aviraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:30   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
The overdrive review is also out. Rohit Patankar gives a detailed account.
I caught the Overdrive show on the TV and the anchor says "Today we look at Hyundai's midsize SEDAN "the Tucson""

Anyway, it looks nice and the size is ideal. Just wish the price had been a few lakhs lower (by few lakhs, I mean not more than 25-26 OTR Blr)

Last edited by manson : 21st November 2016 at 14:49. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 21st November 2016, 11:43   #307
BHPian

With Jeep Compass rumored to be launching around the same price (possibly even lower), I see limited number of Tucson moving off the shelves.

Currently, due to monetization, I don't see many going for luxury cars (>20 lacs) for the next few months. And by that time, Jeep Compass would be launched, carrying a better brand value, more SUV looks, more exclusivity, possibly 4*4 and around the same price.
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:03   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
With Jeep Compass rumored to be launching around the same price (possibly even lower), I see limited number of Tucson moving off the shelves.

Currently, due to monetization, I don't see many going for luxury cars (>20 lacs) for the next few months. And by that time, Jeep Compass would be launched, carrying a better brand value, more SUV looks, more exclusivity, possibly 4*4 and around the same price.
I will agree with what you have said. The Jeep Compass will be a Serious Rival to the Tuscon unless priced Exorbitantly. It has everything one looks for in an Premium SUV.

But, the one thing that will go against it is the Lack of Dealer Network. They are operational only in Metro's, and someone who resides (Like Me) in an Tier 1/2 City will be definitely giving priority to Tuscon over Compass no matter how good the Latter might be. Jeep should be aware of this & they have to increase thier Sales Point if they are willing to sell the Compass & thier other Sub 10 Lakh SUV.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:53   #309
BHPian

Pricing ensures that Santa Fe is probably going to be phased out. A newer Santa Fe would seriously be in price range that will make people consider the Big 3s.

The new X1 is seriously good option (Bigger, better interiors) even though the pricing is high right now with zero discounts being offered. In a year from now I expect X1 to lead the segment with Q3 upgrade not in sight.
Old 21st November 2016, 17:01   #310
BHPian

There is a 5L difference between ex- showroom prices of BMW X1 sDrive20d Expedition (base model) and Hyundai Tucson 2.0CRDi GLS (top variant).

OTR in Kochi is around 8L more for the BMW.

I do not see much cross shopping between a Tucson and a BMW X1.
Yeldo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 17:39   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
There is a 5L difference between ex- showroom prices of BMW X1 sDrive20d Expedition (base model) and Hyundai Tucson 2.0CRDi GLS (top variant).

OTR in Kochi is around 8L more for the BMW.

I do not see much cross shopping between a Tucson and a BMW X1.
I agree that there is a 6L difference in OTR, but at 25% more price you get a more solid car with a better badge value and a much better gearbox. While I haven't personally tried test driving a Tucson, every review says that there is a second or two delay in response when you floor the acceleration pedal and it looks like quick overtakes needs a bit of planning. This problem is non existent on an X1 and this is pretty important IMHO when you are spending 30+ lakhs on a 2WD crossover.

I think Jeep Compass is going to be a serious competitor to Tucson as long as FCA doesn't mess it up in some way or the other. Looking forward to the Jeep Compass launch now
Old 21st November 2016, 23:07   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

In my humble opinion, most genteel folks are after a 'SUV' now. The Tucson fits the bill well with the H brand name, acceptable servicing costs, semi-luxurious interiors, safety (Indians care two hoots) and looks. In this here-&-now unique market, I think Hyundai has a 'flawed' winner!
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:26   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
....but at 25% more price you get a more solid car with a better badge value and a much better gearbox....
You will always find something better at 25-30% more price! The point is where to stop. A Creta buyer will make the the same argument to consider a Tucson (although no increments in badge value!)

Considering the high window line of the back seat of the Tucson and infact all things considered, I feel its much better value to buy a Superb (despite the service issues!) at the same price.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:29   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
You will always find something better at 25-30% more price! The point is where to stop. A Creta buyer will make the the same argument to consider a Tucson (although no increments in badge value!)
While I agree that you can find a better option at 25% more price for any product, the improvement is substantial in case of X1 over Tucson. X1 trumps Tucson in key areas such as engine, gearbox, handling, snob value and build quality. Again when we compare Creta with Tucson, we end up paying 66% more and we know that Creta is already an overpriced product. Even comparing with Creta, I am not sure if Tucson is worth a 66% premium.

Also, when we look at other successful cars in the 30 lakhs segment I believe we won't find a substantially better product at 25% premium. Tucson's 2WD GLS AT must have been priced at 25 lakhs onroad if Hyundai wanted it to become a successful product. At that pricing, Tucson would have been a very sensible buy when compared to say an X1 or a Creta.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 22nd November 2016 at 08:41.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:51   #315
Senior - BHPian

With feedback from initial reports and some bhp-ians having seen the Tucson in person, that it is noticeably larger and of richer quality than the Creta, I think Hyundai probably has a winner in its hands depending on what they think is a reasonable volume to target here.

While they may be pushing the envelope in terms of pricing, that is what all successful brands do - keep pushing the quality and price envelope until the equation doesn't make sense.

If Hyundai indeed sees a "good" demand from the D segment buyer or entry level German car buyer, they would have succeeded - else they can always do a course correction through discounts or other schemes.

Unlike lower segments where the mantra is to launch "low" and then start increasing the price gradually, maybe the approach here in the premium segment is to test your brand's pricing power and then decide if a course correction is required.

Like someone else made a point, once the buyer comes in and feels the price is too high, there is always the Creta to push, OR if the buyer feels the value is not there, there is probably the Santa Fe to show them. Someone who doesn't fit on either side will of course walk away.
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks