Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 07:27   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Regular wheel balancing and alignment (5K intervals), proper tyre pressures (preferably at every fuel refill), maximum city and highway runabouts, very little off-road is a sure shot way of improving tyre life. The minimum we should get out of a decent tyre is 50k kms.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 07:47   #1472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Surprising thing was he had recently completed 70,000km with it. I insisted him to change the tyres but he was quite confident that they are good.

SUV tyres last longer than mid size cars and hatchbacks. For instance, i owned a Sumo Grande that ran 93000 km in 3 years, on stock Bridgestone Dueller HT. I was disappointed with Apollo tyres when I had to replace them in my safari after just 75000km. After replacement, i have covered 34000km but the tyre still looks new.

But I am not very happy with the fact that 19 inchers cost a lot more than Safari's 16 inchers.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 08:44   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
When can we expect the prices?

Wondering when will test drives begin.
Tata has already stated that the prices will be announced later - possibly in Jan-2017, when the sales start. Test drives should start a little before deliveries start - should be Dec-end / Jan 1st week.

If they are accepting bookings now itself, the full amount would be refundable in case of cancellations.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 12:57   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But I am not very happy with the fact that 19 inchers cost a lot more than Safari's 16 inchers.
Did you change your Safari's wheels to 19 inchers or are you talking about the Hexa's wheels? I did check online for 19 inchers and could only find Pirellis and they cost a Bomb. 18000 a piece, if I recall correctly. Hexa's MRF tyres are bespoke to the Hexa and they are not even listed on the MRF website. So maybe they will work out a deal with Tata and ensure the tyres are reasonably priced. Alternatively, because these tyres are bespoke to the Hexa, it might end up costing a bomb.
Old 1st November 2016, 13:39   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Tata has already stated that the prices will be announced later - possibly in Jan-2017, when the sales start.
I wonder what is it that Tata wants to do between today and Jan? Why not go ahead and announce the prices. If bookings open now and prices are announced 2 months later, Tata may again find itself in a soup since bookings may not reflect the true intentions of purchase. Good luck Tata then for either sitting on massive unsold inventory or struggling to keep up with unexpected demand.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 14:37   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
SUV tyres last longer than mid size cars and hatchbacks. For instance, i owned a Sumo Grande that ran 93000 km in 3 years, on stock Bridgestone Dueller HT. I was disappointed with Apollo tyres when I had to replace them in my safari after just 75000km. After replacement, i have covered 34000km but the tyre still looks new.
I am no expert, but my post was to dispel any doubts regarding longevity of tyres because of excess weight of Hexa.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I did check online for 19 inchers and could only find Pirellis and they cost a Bomb. 18000 a piece, if I recall correctly. Hexa's MRF tyres are bespoke to the Hexa and they are not even listed on the MRF website. So maybe they will work out a deal with Tata and ensure the tyres are reasonably priced. Alternatively, because these tyres are bespoke to the Hexa, it might end up costing a bomb.
Yes, there's already been discussion on this and I felt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
Thinking about it, XT with 16 inch tyres with alloys will be a good option, should be cheaper by 50k and translating to even cheaper on road price than 19 inch XT.

Going by posts here, bigger wheel size provide not much of an advantage apart from looks.
And to add to the doubts, though not directly related to Hexa, I saw this in Crysta thread.

Originally Posted by pratiksinhal

Quote:
I was driving my Crysta 2.8 Z last evening and suddenly after going through a small pothole , the left rear wheel burst. I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company. Apparently a lot of customers have complained of the same problem.
Has anyone heard the same or faced the same problem? Not even 2000 kms on the ODO and this problem. Unable to digest that this can happen with a Toyota.
Also reading elsewhere that bigger size wheels doesn't provide any "practical" advantage and costs much higher than generally available 16 or 17 inchers.

I think quite a few who are going for top end version would like to swap the 19 inch wheels for 16 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Good luck Tata then for either sitting on massive unsold inventory or struggling to keep up with unexpected demand.
Yes and having waited so long, why would someone want to buy a 2016 manufactured model in 2017? It is also possible that first few cars already made one may end up buying copies manufactured in 4 or 5 months back

By the way, bookings are supposed to start today right? Any news regarding that?

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 1st November 2016 at 14:50.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 15:20   #1477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, bookings are supposed to start today right? Any news regarding that?
Bookings are open at all Tata dealerships nationwide, for a token amount of Rs 11,000/-, which is fully refundable.

Cars for test drives will reach dealerships by November 17th. As such, they are expected to start from the 3rd week of November.

The 4x4 AT variant will be launched at a later date. It will be the top-of-the-line variant and will be priced accordingly.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 15:26   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Bookings are open at all Tata dealerships nationwide, for a token amount of Rs 11,000/-, which is fully refundable.

Cars for test drives will reach dealerships by November 17th. As such, they are expected to start from the 3rd week of November.

The 4x4 AT variant will be launched at a later date. It will be the top-of-the-line variant and will be priced accordingly.
I called up the Tata Dealer on Sohna Road Gurgaon and was politely told that Tata has not communicated anything to them. Perhaps they are not up to date.
deevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 15:34   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A seat is a static part of the vehicle. I would say - go ahead. Sales guys across brands have a habit of saying warranty will be void
It might not be as simple as it seems. What about the seat belts? I guess current legislations demand one belt per seating capacity. If there are any airbag actuators linked to these seats (side airbags) then I for one wouldn't risk it.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 15:40   #1480
BHPian

Since Tata is quite serious about the Hexa, and they have a window of a few months before the launch, they should seriously ponder over some aspects being mentioned here:

1) Have both seat configurations in all models. This issue was reported extensively during the Crysta launch too and many people were put off by the lack of 8 seat option in the Z (AT) variant. Every prospective customer matters to Tata so it's not something to be ignored, not to mention the fact that they would anyway get a lot of people coming directly from the Toyota showroom.

2) Be proactive and give an option of smaller (but better looking) alloys to customers, with a price discount as well. 19 inch ones giving issues during the first year itself is the last thing Tata would want, and those with more off road/rough road usage would appreciate getting this done right away at the dealership itself.

3) Also, hedge the tyre price for those still going with the 19 inch ones at least for the first replacement. It will take just one burst tyre in the initial days, and the irate customer going online with the shocking tyre prices (as of today) to generate unnecessary negative publicity. Don't know how and if this can be done though.

Tough to manage yes, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Last edited by avisidhu : 1st November 2016 at 15:45.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 16:28   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Also reading elsewhere that bigger size wheels doesn't provide any "practical" advantage and costs much higher than generally available 16 or 17 inchers.
Depends on what you meant by "practical". If you leave out steering response, handling and better cornering, then may be it doesn't matter.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 16:39   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Depends on what you meant by "practical". If you leave out steering response, handling and better cornering, then may be it doesn't matter.
Practical for a 'people mover' as in ride quality, cheaper to maintain than looks & cornering (more pronounced during a spirited driving which is not a primary use case).

Quote:
I checked with a dealer here and they are not yet aware of booking date/amount.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 1st November 2016 at 16:42.
Old 1st November 2016, 16:59   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
I went to the Concorde Motors in OMR Chennai yesterday and they had no clue as to when the booking will start. They took my number saying that they will get in touch with me the moment they know when the booking commences. If they have commenced the bookings and if some of the dealers are not even aware of the same then there is something amiss with Tata Motors.
Old 1st November 2016, 17:10   #1484
BHPian

I was told that Hexa test drives begin from 12th November 2016. Booking amount would be Rs. 5,000/-. I would get a call for test drive (hope they do call up)
Old 1st November 2016, 17:32   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Re: the discussion on torque of various engine - does turbo lag figure anywhere?

Regards
Sutripta
From posts I think certain cars have to reach certain rpm to generate certain Nm(?) to get it moving and then after certain rpm it loses it grunt and then you need to downshift?

Mine's on third tyre set, odo @ 1,47,000.
I think tyre wear is linked to terrain you take, your driving style too.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks