Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

I honestly hope the brochure is a dealer-printed one and does not reflect the actual feature list of the new Elantra. If it's not, I do not know what to say. A Grand i10 costing ₹6 Lakhs would have power-folding mirrors, push-button start, automatic climate control and rear parking camera; An Elite i20 costing ₹8 Lakhs would have all these plus LED DRLs, touchscreen AVN and telescopic adjustment for steering; But the Elantra potentially starting at ₹15 Lakhs would have none of these. What on earth was Hyundai thinking?

I was, and still am, a huge fan of the Elantra just for its 'wow' design and I want the car to do well so I could get one pre-owned a few years down the line. This brochure leak has spoilt it completely for me.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:26   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I believe there are some errors in that brochure, especially regarding some features on the SX(O) manual variant.
Could be, but this is the same company which gave 60:40 split rear seats and child-seat anchor in the Creta SX+ AT variants but didn't offer the same in the top-of-the-line Creta SX(O) variants!

I am not holding my breath to see any final changes from Hyundai. And also, for the record, this is the feature-list of the current (and to-be-replaced tomorrow) Elantra:

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-untitled.jpg

If I wanted to own the base variant of an Elantra, I would know where to look at.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd August 2016 at 22:28.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And also, for the record, this is the feature-list of the current (and soon to be replaced) Elantra:
Agreed, the feature lists of the current base version and the soon-to-be-launched base version of the Elantra look similar. But the current Elantra can be excused because it was a fairly well-loaded car when it was launched. We didn't have the Grand i10 and the Elite i20 that have subsequently moved the goalposts several notches in front. Shouldn't the new Elantra be following in their footsteps instead of trying to mimic its predecessor?
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:37   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Agreed, the feature lists of the current base version and the soon-to-be-launched base version of the Elantra look similar. But the current Elantra can be excused because it was a fairly well-loaded car when it was launched. We didn't have the Grand i10 and the Elite i20 that have subsequently moved the goalposts several notches in front. Shouldn't the new Elantra be following in their footsteps instead of trying to mimic its predecessor?
Please read my previous post in this thread here (in the previous page) and then the post above, and check the features I have highlighted in red boxes.

You might want to edit your post after reading both of them.

Nowhere have I said that both base variants have similar features. I am actually lambasting Hyundai for shortchanging a potential 18-lakh rupee Elantra Base variant customer with the version they are launching tomorrow, with THAT list of features which has been scooped by Rush Lane's sources.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:50   #95
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could be, but this is the same company which gave 60:40 split rear seats and child-seat anchor in the Creta SX+ AT variants but didn't offer the same in the top-of-the-line Creta SX(O) variants!
True, RavenAvi. However, I think the SX(O) variant's feature list will be the same for both the MT & AT (apart from the obvious transmission related stuff).

Leather (synthetic leather?) seats and ESP + VSM + HAC are shown as being present on both the SX(O) MT & AT. Now, why would Hyundai provide leather seats and ESP + VSM + HAC on the SX(O) MT, but not side & curtain airbags, seat ventilation etc.? It doesn't quite make sense from an inventory point of view, apart from a common sense point of view. A brochure error sounds like the best explanation.

Quote:
If I wanted to own the base variant of an Elantra, I would know where to look at.
I agree that the S variant's sparse feature list is quite shocking! No reverse parking sensors and no electrically foldable mirrors is simply unjustifiable for a D1 sedan.

I seriously hope the stupid S variant does get "normal" front fog lamps! The brochure shows "projector" fog lamps to be missing on the S variant, but that would be acceptable only if it were to get normal clear lens ones instead.

Instead of emulating Volkswagen by providing six airbags & ESP + VSM + HAC as standard across the range, they have almost done a Toyota with the feature list!

Hyundai better have a solid explanation for this by announcing a mouth-watering price tag for the stupid S variant!

Last edited by RSR : 22nd August 2016 at 23:10.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am actually lambasting Hyundai for shortchanging a potential 18-lakh rupee Elantra Base variant customer
I know. So am I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Hyundai better have a solid explanation for this by announcing a mouth-watering price tag for the stupid S variant!
That's the only way Hyundai could think of justifying the base variant and it's feature list. I guess they know it as well.

Nevertheless, this was bound to happen in a segment where the car with a nice free-revving petrol engine (1.4 TSI), a stonker of a diesel engine (2.0 TDI), that brilliant (albeit a bit unreliable) DSG tranny, class-leading safety suite (6 Airbags, ESP, VSM) and classy timeless styling gets trounced month after month by a mediocre car that borrows its diesel engine, safety features, etc. from its own siblings a segment or two below and nothing more. Of course, the latter is backed by rock-solid brand reputation and unmatched reliability and has a petrol engine that's powerful yet frugal too.

Hyundai is just following the leader instead of the segment benchmark.

Last edited by arvi86 : 23rd August 2016 at 06:25.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:20   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Remind me to keep off this place for a few more days, with the amount of spoilers coming in I don't think I'll have anything new to find by launch time, tomorrow.

To me it seems all good, I think its the best combination of interiors + exteriors on any Hyundai car till date. As for the variants, if one is buying an Elantra its only wise to choose the highest end automatic - that's when the real advantages happen. With the luxury sedans easily breaching 40-45 lacs nowadays, its not bad that an Elantra is available with high-end convenience, safety and construction at a little under half that price, not bad at all. That dark interior is just right, it'll never seem old and this is coming from a big fan of beige interiors - the new trend is tilting towards grey + black again and is evident in all high-profile cars.

Of course there is one reveal left, an unbiased, unsponsored, balanced look at how the car responds, moves and feels. I don't expect mainstream auto-journalists to do that as each time I've been disappointed when matching their opinion with my experience, that's why I don't trust any opinion before my own experience - watch this space, maybe in a couple of days time if I get a breather from work
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:35   #98
BHPian

Test drove an Elantra a couple of days ago over some broken roads and the freeway in the US. Car is very well finished, feature loaded and has excellent ride in the city. Take it out on the highway and it fine until 75, then the car feels "boatish" even in a straight line. The ride is not confidence inspiring. The steering feels tight but needs constant adjustments. My ten year old Mazda 3 with shoddy tires feels much much better. The new Mazda 3 is leagues ahead. My previous generation Cruze and Vento (in India) are much much better!!
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

I think the new Elantra will present good value for money. Why? Because D segment sedans have long lost their charm and its a dwindling segment unlike the fast growing UV segment.

So, Hyundai won't be able to short change Elantra with a scanty features list and a high price like they did with the Creta. They are going to go all out to capture the imagination of buyers back to the segment.

And I feel they are going to price those lower variants very aggressively looking at that leaked brochure.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Hyundai Elantra brochure leaked

Thank you to Team-BHP fan Sumair Malik for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

A single brochure image of the upcoming 2016 Hyundai Elantra has been leaked, before its official launch. The brochure reveals that the sixth-gen Elantra will be offered in five variants: S, SX, SX AT, SX (O), and SX (O) AT. While the petrol Elantra will be available in all five variants, the diesel can't be opted in the SX AT trim.

The 2016 Elantra will come with two engine options - a 2.0-litre, four cylinder, dual VTVT petrol engine rated at 150 BHP and a 1.6-litre CRDi diesel unit that churns out 126 BHP. Both the petrol and diesel power mills will be offered with the option of a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Suspension setups include McPherson struts at the front and a coupled torsion beam axle at the rear. The 2016 Elantra gets disc brakes all round. It rides on 10-spoke, 16-inch alloy wheels that are wrapped around with 205/60 section tyres.

Coming to safety features, dual front airbags and ABS are standard across all variants, while the top-end SX (O) AT variant gets a total of six airbags, including front, side and curtain. Other features like Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Vehicle Stability Management (VSM), and Hill Start Assist (HSA) will be available in the top two SX (O) and SX (O) AT variants.

The new Elantra gets HID projector headlamps with LED DRLs on the top SX (O) and SX (O) AT variants, while lower trims will get conventional halogen units. Except the entry-level S-trim, each variant will come with LED tail lights. Hyundai will even offer an electric sunroof with pinch guard on the top-end SX (O) AT trim.

On the inside, the new Elantra gets an all-black dashboard. Leather upholstery will be available in the SX (O) and SX (O) AT variants, while lower trim levels will get fabric upholstery.

In the two top-end SX (O) variants, the driver will get a 10-way electrically adjustable seat, which even has electric lumbar support. Moreover, the SX (O) AT variant also includes a front seat ventilation system. Dual-zone automatic climate control will be available from the SX trim, while the base S-variant will get a manual AC.

A 5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with USB, AUX and Bluetooth connectivity and four speakers is available in the base S trim level. The other trim levels get an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment system. This system is compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and supports navigation and voice recognition. The bigger system also gets two additional tweeters.

Other features on offer include auto cruise control, which is available in the top two variants. Push button start/stop is also available in the SX (O) and SX (O) AT variants. Meanwhile, the automatic trims - SX AT and SX (O) AT get Hyundai's Drive Mode Select that offers three driving modes - Normal, Eco & Sport. This feature allows altering the throttle response and steering characteristics depending on the driver's requirements.

The sixth-gen Elantra is expected to make its Indian debut later today, i.e., 23rd August 2016.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img20160822wa0002.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 23rd August 2016 at 10:54.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:28   #101
Senior - BHPian

Can't complain on the design front. The design of the out going car is still one of the best to come out of Hyundai's design studios. Wish there were better motors on offer. The 1.6l Crdi is a known motor and the new 2l petrol (No Direct Injection) is probably going to end up being a gas guzzler more than offer any outright performance. Hyundai's petrol motors have yet to level up to Japanese engines. The other problem is, I can get that same 1.6l motor on a much cheaper car from Hyundai's stable.

Also; I can't find any additional equipment or stand out feature on the new car. Except for the sun roof (Useless), HID's and the touch screen stereo, there is little else that is new. Considering the Elantra started its innings in India with several segment first features, I did expect more from Hyundai.

Is Auto Cruise Control really what I think it is? Tracks the vehicle in front.
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Is Auto Cruise Control really what I think it is? Tracks the vehicle in front.
Well as I know it needs radar for operation and this technology is still under approval to be used in passenger vehicles. Last I recall a luxury manufacturer has applied for permit under specific frequencies (Mercedes/ Volvo).

Hope 2 liter Petrol being a Turbo- that would have set performance benchmarks. NA is good at 150 BHP and would be sufficient but fuel economy would drive most users towards Diesel which right to your point is being offered in same tune in Verna.

In looks for a non enthusiast there was not much difference between Verna and earlier Elantra though later was tad bigger in size with a distinct sloping roof and not so busy back. Let's see if this can set cash registers ringing which I have my doubts on.

Last edited by Passiautonate : 23rd August 2016 at 11:51.
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:53   #103
BHPian

Details are now available on the Hyundai website. There is no direct link but the following link is working

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html
ashishs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:44   #104
BHPian

Prices announced. The petrol starts at 12.99 lakhs with the diesel starting at 14.79 lakhs.
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:45   #105
BHPian

The Hyundai Elantra has been launched at an introductory price of Rs. Rs. 12.99 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The introductory prices will be applicable till December 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-elan_price_pet.jpg  

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-diesl_elan.jpg  

Last edited by em17 : 23rd August 2016 at 12:47.
em17 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks