Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:09   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Due to the compact dimensions (esp. width) and a higher seating position, Ignis is a breeze in the city traffic. Although the low end torque in the K12M might be comparatively lesser(than other 1.2L engines), it is not as horrendous as the K10B.
Height (sitting position, ingress/egress) - no issues with ignis (waiting to compare with Swift)
Width - 169mm external for Ignis is moderate and OK, again waiting for Swift.
Power - OK, but not as great as Santro at lower end (could be better in Swift than Ignis due to less weight)
Certification from parents (most important rear seat occupants) - OK for Ignis, waiting for Swift

Tried all these with CelerioX, but torque is really bad at low end (similar to my older Estilo K10B experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The 1.2 L K Series is not the engine for low end drivability and comparing it to the Santros and Wagon R 1.1 engines of yore may be a misplaced exercise.
Agree. Perhaps a compromise is needed for low end torque with newer cars.
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:01   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

Agree. Perhaps a compromise is needed for low end torque with newer cars.
The compromise or workaround whatever you choose to call it, it a turbocharged petrol engine, which will slowly take over from naturally aspirated engine because they give you better drivability at much lower revs.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 00:29   #738
BHPian

Things which according to me were missed in New MS Swift:

No Hand Armrest
No Automatic IRVM
No Secondary/Central reading lights inside the cabin.

I think none of the things are even present even in the outgoing model too but given the chance they had there were no new value additions on the tech/feature side except the touchscreen infotainment I guess.
Dishing out same set of engines in their entire range of cars(from Swift onwards) is another major disappointment.

Other things which I would love to see:

Ambient lightning (even as an option, even if any MS official accessory available)
Choice of engines
Glove Box Cooling
4-6 airbags at least as an option (on + variants)
Backlit Window Switches (how much more does it take)
Add one more layer of Paint (Please, hard to maintain with that flimsy build quality)

Anyway this version is a looker inside out but those decade old set of engines doesn't excite me anymore.
Wish I could plonk 1.5 Vtec or even a t-jet, alas would have turned into a true sleeper monster.
Old 23rd January 2018, 05:14   #739
BHPian

One of my colleagues brought the 2017 swift here in New Zealand. Just sharing some pictures for everyone as I believe most of the specs would be the same for India apart from the push button start.

The pictures are from the dealer listing.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-1.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-3.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-4.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-5.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-6.jpg  

honda_dude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:04   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
There is nothing in a stock K12 Swift even for a rookie enthusiast.
Then what do you suggest for the rookie enthusiasts at the same price point? Grand i10 or the ~70 bhp 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol Polo?
The K12 engine has grunt at higher RPMs, turns into another level post 3K RPM. Only thing is one needs to know how to extract maximum performance out of it. It’s a really fun to drive engine if kept at proper RPMs.
Brigadier is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:22   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Then what do you suggest for the rookie enthusiasts at the same price point? Grand i10 or the ~70 bhp 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol Polo?
The K12 engine has grunt at higher RPMs, turns into another level post 3K RPM. Only thing is one needs to know how to extract maximum performance out of it. It’s a really fun to drive engine if kept at proper RPMs.
Agreed- the Swift is and has been a fun to drive vehicle. Granted, it has never had the powerful engine that it so deserves, but as an overall reliable and fun to drive vehicle, it certainly remains one of the top contenders.

An Abarth Punto or a GT TSI may not be within the reach of entry level buyers, and for them, just like it was for me, its an affordable package which does bring a smile to the face every time that engine revs high and creamily.

A possible alternative is the Ford TDCI, but again, it is an oil burner and not a smooth petrol.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd January 2018 at 09:34.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:13   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Just sharing some pictures for everyone as I believe most of the specs would be the same for India apart from the push button start.
Thank you honda_dude for sharing these pics.

For once, Maruti/Suzuki seem to have "Upped" the game, and have provided a version that is almost identical to the international Swift.
So, unless I am way off target here, the 2018 Indian Swift Z+ variants get

- Push button/Keyless go feature.
- Projector LED Headlights with DRL.
- Touch screen infotainment with Apple Car play, Android Auto and Navigation
- Reverse camera

Just when Maruti/Suzuki could have just levelled the competition by introducing better engines (1.0 Booster-jet) and engine tunes (1.3 DDiS 90HP), they have just retained the recent yet old 1.2K series, and the 1.3 DDiS (73HP) from the Iron Age!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 23rd January 2018 at 10:15.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:24   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Just when Maruti/Suzuki could have just levelled the competition by introducing better engines (1.0 Booster-jet) and engine tunes (1.3 DDiS 90HP), they have just retained the recent yet old 1.2K series, and the 1.3 DDiS (73HP) from the Iron Age!!
I think they have a game plan here, the 1.0l boosterjet will be for Baleno and bringing the same will only cannibalize the Baleno variant( or they should discontinue that). Baleno RS volumes are not great too.

But all this brings a ray of hope that the SWIFT SPORT (1.4l boosterjet) is on its plan for India in 2019.

Also customization options are not given for SWIFT since the FUTURE S will overlap with Swift in the C/SUV avatar with the iCreate customization kits. In fact it is likely to be the SWIFT based S/CUV.

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd January 2018 at 10:26.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:28   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

But all this brings a ray of hope that the SWIFT SPORT (1.4l boosterjet) is on its plan for India in 2019.)
Yes it does, and we optimists never cease to dream do we? Come on Maruti, hit that button and launch the Sport here. I am sure that it will not do great sales, but for the handful of enthusiasts, it will certainly be a car worth getting into their garage.

Of late, seeing quite a few Baleno RS on the road in Bangalore, though the percentage remains minuscule compared to the regular variants.

Even if they shy away from being adventurous, if the 1 liter Boosterjet is plonked into the Swift, it will also make for an engaging ride given the power to weight ratio numbers in the fairly light Swift.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 23rd January 2018 at 10:29.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:49   #745
Senior - BHPian

This is not the Swift that we are used to. Felt like a totally different car (Something like Nissan Tiida hatch) when I drove it in the UAE. The previous version was not sprightly but at least had some presence (Totally loved the version before that). Curious to see how the car will be received amid the invasion of the sub-compact SUVs.
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:10   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I think they have a game plan here, the 1.0l boosterjet will be for Baleno and bringing the same will only cannibalize the Baleno variant( or they should discontinue that). Baleno RS volumes are not great too.

But all this brings a ray of hope that the SWIFT SPORT (1.4l boosterjet) is on its plan for India in 2019.

Also customization options are not given for SWIFT since the FUTURE S will overlap with Swift in the C/SUV avatar with the iCreate customization kits. In fact it is likely to be the SWIFT based S/CUV.
I am sorry but from what we hear from people working at Suzuki, Boosterjet was a mistake which will not be repeated for any car in Maruti line up. Globally, it would be used but not India.
Suzuki is firmly committing it's very limited resources towards EVs and the kitna deti hain crowd ( which is humungous in India). Driving pleasure in terms of power, is the last thing they are thinking.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:22   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki India Limited will shift the entire production of the all-new 2018 Swift to it's new plant at Hansalpur, Gujarat, from the Swift's former base at Manesar, Haryana.

Quote:
The Gujarat plant, which started production in 2016, currently manufactures Baleno that is retailed through Maruti's premium retail channel Nexa. The addition of Swift to the production at Gujarat will help achieve economies of scale and drive in efficiencies in terms of production planning, R S Kalsi, executive director in charge of sales and marketing, told TOI.

The car was initially manufactured at Gurgaon, and later its production was shifted to the relatively-newer facility at Manesar. "However, we have now decided that the model will be built in Gujarat," Kalsi said, just ahead of the upgraded model's launch in February during the auto expo at Greater Noida.

Suzuki's first production line in Gujarat will hit a capacity of 1.5 lakh units (annually) by the end of this fiscal and reach maximum limit of 2.5 lakh units by 2018-19. Suzuki has also started work for a second production unit, which will also have a peak capacity of 2.5 lakh annually. This is expected to go on stream in the last quarter of 2018-2019.
ET Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:32   #748
BHPian

Wow. The new Swift looks brilliant. It’s like the prodigal son has finally returned after that weird looking last gen Swift. It’s properly modern and I’m hearing rumours of 1.4 turbo-petrol? Damn, way to go Suzuki! Imagine how great would’ve been to plonk the 1.6 MJD in this. Well, dreams...
Old 23rd January 2018, 13:13   #749
Senior - BHPian

The earlier versions of the Swift were Fun to drive as well as frugal, both the petrol and the diesel. Also, the Swifts had one of the best calibrated EPS with good feedback and weight. Going by few of the reviews, the steering seems to have lost its zing, which is a dampener for those who love driving.

Unless one is interested in tinkering with a stock car, a hardcore enthusiast would anyway prefer the Abarth, GT Tsi's over the Swift, and I don't think there would be any disappointment for them. Although, being the market leaders, I would love to see Maruti to experiment at least with a new set of engines as they are backed with very strong finances.
Old 23rd January 2018, 14:40   #750
Senior - BHPian

The new 2018 Swift looks far more mature than the outgoing one and the overall looks are more neutral. A small section of people disliked the earlier Swift due to its slightly quirky looks, but the new one is less polarising in that regard.

However the whole aspect of fun to drive and hot hatch are incorrect terminologies for all the three generations of swifts. They have been good to drive, affordable, but nothing beyond that. Just because a car sells in great numbers it has no right to be classified as fun to drive and labelled as a car for the enthusiasts. Most of you might agree that the Swift also has very average brakes, so what good is a fun to drive enthusiast's car which does not sharp braking?

If one were to classify the Swift as an enthusiast's car then what would you call the ford Figo which has always beaten the Swift in on-track performances?

Let's just acknowledge it for it is and not get carried away with the general perception. If you want an enthusiastic car under 10-12 lakhs then you always have the Polo TSi and even the abarth Punto.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks