Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2018, 17:30   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
How is a 1.3 engine faster than the 1.5 engines in the Ford and VW? Is that factually incorrect?
I don't think anybody has claimed that. FAST = FUN is your logic and there are many who won't agree with it. Body control and Handling would be FUN for others.. They would say Swift is much better than New Figo or Polo . To each his own, I have nothing more to add here.
Dr.Naren is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 18:43   #782
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A fun car needs to be fast, safe, and solidly built.
Says who? Don't impose your opinion as the golden rule. Be accepting of other's too.

Quote:
I don't even call my 1.2TSI fast because after routinely driving the 1.8 and 2.0 turbo petrols, this car is crap.
Sorry you find your car crap. My daily driver is a 3.0-litre 6-cylinder, and I still find hatchbacks like the Swift (with good rubber) and the new Figo Sports edition to be fun to drive.

Quote:
The 1.2 NA on the Swift? Well, less said the better.
For you, perhaps. A lot of us consider it to be a jewel of an engine.

Copying a relevant post of mine from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a myth that the more expensive a car, the more fun it is to drive.

Give me an Alto K10 with grippy fat tyres and I'll show you how to permanently smile down the Lonavla ghats. For 10 lakhs or in the whereabouts, the erstwhile Polo 1.6 TDI, Liva 1.5 (LOVED that car), Punto Abarth and others are as much fun to drive as any of the mainstream luxury cars (not counting dedicated sporty cars or the likes of the Cooper S here). Power is just right, these cars exhibit good / excellent poise and have a manual shifter .

Of course, the ridiculously overpriced 530d is an awesome machine. Especially on highways & the open road, it offers unmatched driving pleasure. But at slower speeds, in the city and on narrow winding roads, some of the cars listed above offer equal / more pleasure. What will you do with 250 BHP & 500+ NM of torque on a narrow mountain or rural road? Remember, it's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Driving pleasure is not all about the power or handling either. I find immense joy & satisfaction from driving Jeeps, whether it's my ol' Classic 4x4 or the fantastic Thar. These make me smile every time. If I didn't own a Jeep already, a nicely modified Thar would've been parked on my driveway right now. Vintage car enthusiasts derive the same pleasure from classic cars, and nostalgia addicts love taking their Padmini / Ambassador for a spin.

For 4 lakh rupees today, I can build you an immensely fun-to-drive car (used Civic for 2.5 lakhs + mods for 1.5 lakhs). For a handful of lakhs more, I can find you a Laura vRS that will put a 45-lakh rupee C-Class to shame (in terms of driving pleasure)....at <20% of the cost.

I can draw an analogy between cars & food. I relish a 500 rupee meal at Bade Miya (kebabs) or 150 rupee Misal @ Aaswad as much as I would a fine-dining experience at a luxury hotel.

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 23:01.
GTO is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 18:58   #783
Team-BHP Support

The most fun in a budget hatch I've had in the last decade is in a 1st gen Figo Petrol. Mediocre motor overall but good bottom end and decent mid-range (lovely growl too), tracks like it's on rails and stops on a dime.

There were faster and better cars in its category, but nothing that was as much fun for the price we paid for it (5.2 lacs for the Titanium). I still drive it whenever I go home, and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

There's more to driving pleasure than statistics.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 22:02   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.2 NA on the Swift? Well, less said the better.
When I got my Swift Vxi in July 2015, I was flustered at that motor. Once I crossed 10,000 kms., the motor was growing on me and now at 24,000 kms. I thoroughly enjoy how this motor works. Have been to different states besides taking it for long highway drives in Gujarat. For a 1.2 litre motor, it performs well. Of-course there is scope of improvement, but for most, K12M is nothing short of jewel of an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hope the new one delivers on the road though. Now, everyone is calling the second generation diluted. ...well paved tarmac. And it never got the tyres or the wheels for the job. In comparison, the Z was perfect in its stock form.
+1. Its ride and handling balance is amazing. Be it twisty mountain road or long stretches of highway runs, second generation Swift performs well. It can also masks speeds quite well for its size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Any idea if the lower variants come with a rear wiper?
Is there an option to retro-fit it in lower variants? Would it void warranty as I guess electricals would be touched?
Top two variants, Z_i/Z_i+ get rear wash and wipe, rear defogger.

Coming to the new Swift, glad to see addition of ABS and Airbags. My car's (Second generation Swift without ABS) brakes leave a lot to be desired even after I got wider rubber installed. However, the addition of Z_i+ trims means V_i variant loses on features like Rear adjustable headrests, 60:40 split rear seat, front and rear fog lamps, electric folding ORVM. This erodes a bit of value proposition offered by second generation's V_i variants. Even in current generation Wagon R, the LXi variant get rear adjustable headrests. New generation's V_i does get height adjustable driver's seat, steering mounted audio controls (something I miss in my car). Maruti should have atleast retained 60:40 split rear seat as in a hatchback, it can come in handy.

Another aspect which could do with improvement is cabin insulation. After 2.5+ years, there is so much noise coming into cabin that if a Bullet Thundrebird/Classic passes by my car, I end up checking if any of my window is open. So much outside noise filters into cabin, it can be unnerving at times.

New Swift is improving upon a lot of aspects which may result into Baleno's sales taking a hit. At the same time, even Grand i10 sales number could have a small dent. All this is possible provided Maruti doesn't get carried away by Swift nameplate's massive success over the years. The top variant is quite expensive in case of Dzire, but if same thing happens for Swift, the volumes could be a bit lower. Would be happy to see this car priced very sensibly.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 26th January 2018 at 22:11.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 23:14   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Swift is 'fun' for someone upgrading from an entry-level commuter car (you know the kind we get here), not for someone driving C/D segment cars with good grunt and tight chassis to match.
As someone who downgraded from an sedan, with 1.8L displacement to the swift diesel, I can confidently say that swift is indeed as fun to drive as people say, fun is not just straight line acceleration, flick-ability of this little hatch is amazing, in-gear acceleration from the 1.3 diesel is good too.

I used to worry about fuel bills on my sedan after a short sprinted drive, but that is the last thing I worry about now.

Germans luxury cars which I have driven(not performance oriented), totally isolated me from the drive. gearbox shifting giving very flat power delivery, very light steering, ability to mask speed and much more resulted in relaxed drive, which takes fun away from the driving.

So, how do I define the fun I have with my swift ? I just fill diesel, drive around with zero worries to where ever I wish, flicking through tight corners, cruising around 100 on the highways, parking on tight spots with ease, the list goes on.

No matter what car I buy next, I will surely miss something which swift has to offer.
giri1.8 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 12:48   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

All NEW SWIFT TVC,

volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 13:49   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post

Germans luxury cars which I have driven(not performance oriented), totally isolated me from the drive. gearbox shifting giving very flat power delivery, very light steering, ability to mask speed and much more resulted in relaxed drive, which takes fun away from the driving.

When survival is the order of the day, there is no room for existential crisis.
Old 27th January 2018, 19:10   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I get your point.

P.S. I am going to be bummed if Maruti don't consider the Swift Sport for India, but the 1.2 K10 does the job just fine for city use.
Well said. Ive been driving the 1.2 K Series for the last 6 years (with upgraded 195 section rubber), and there is no end to the fun that I have had in the car in all this time. No doubt, the engine lacks in power, but what it lacks there it more than makes up for in terms of "connectedness" with the driver and accessible mid range. The more I drive this thing, the more i love it. Frankly, in my daily city commute, this car gives me a healthy dose of fun on those early morning and late night drives to office and back. Doesn't mean I wont take a higher powered hot hatch if I get the opportunity to own one in India, but the fun factor with the K12 (on a middle class budget) is nonetheless pretty sweet.

I am certainly looking forward to the Swift Sport as well. Praying everyday that it makes it way to our shores. That thing will have the get-go to blow other stuff twice its price off the path

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 27th January 2018 at 19:16.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 13:28   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

Base Variant : Close up pic
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-screenshot_20180129124359757_com.miui.gallery.png
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 13:34   #790
Senior - BHPian

This grille will soon be the darling of the after-market "chrome-grille-garnish-fitment" brigade.

I can just about visualise in my rear view mirror, the blindingly shiny & blingy, plasticky chrome strips & other add-on's stuck to this grille.

Cheers!
Old 29th January 2018, 15:07   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Base Variant : Close up pic
Please post more pics if you have (want to book but really confused btwn vxi and lxi)
Old 29th January 2018, 15:09   #792
BHPian

My dad has booked the ZXi+ MT variant in Solid Fire Red color.
He sent me a snapshot that he got from the dealer quite a while back when the bookings had started.

What surprises me is, only the Solid Fire Red color is mentioned an Non-metallic and all other colors are mentioned as metallic.

Anybody have any info on this ? I don't see anything special in just the Red that would mandate it to be a non-metallic color.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-0e644ccba9934be78c3f3143c8ea6afd.jpg  

ashbhat2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 16:11   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is a 1.3 engine faster than the 1.5 engines in the Ford and VW? Is that factually incorrect?
One of the small and significant difference I can put down- The 1.3 is DOHC and the 1.5 in the Ford is an SOHC . Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 29th January 2018, 16:30   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
Please post more pics if you have (want to book but really confused btwn vxi and lxi)
Are you looking for anything in particular? I can ask my sources to send them .

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 29th January 2018 at 16:36.
Old 29th January 2018, 17:17   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Close look at the exteriors and the interiors of the new Swift, courtesy YouTube user Abhi Tech.

And, in the Magma Grey Metallic colour shade:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th January 2018 at 17:21.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks