Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:43   #136
BHPian

The civic will definitely need a turbo engine if they are to compete with the Germans. And a good diesel engine as well. I don't see any of them on that list.
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:05   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The latest on the Civic, as per my sources:

- Petrol option will be limited to the 1.8L i-VTEC. The 1.5L turbo-charged petrol won't be coming to India anytime soon.

- Diesel will be the same 1.5L Earth Dreams i-DTEC with a bump in power/torque figures of around 12-15%.
Smart decision on the localisation. That is the only way Honda can keep the price competitive. It may however delay the launch.

Turbo may come in the top end variant but that's all speculation right now.

Engines are the USP of Honda after all they are Honda Motor Company. I would want them to be ahead of the competition in terms of powertrain but we enthusiasasts are a small minority. Bells and whistles are the fad of the era but I'm not sure they can compete with Hyundai on that basis. The Civic needs to be projected as a fast enthusiast loving car.

Till the details emerge, let us all sit tight.
mihirdesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:18   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

Quote:
- Petrol option will be limited to the 1.8L i-VTEC. The 1.5L turbo-charged petrol won't be coming to India anytime soon.
It's actually a good thing IMO. Because Turbo Petrol's are expensive & will definitely put Civic out of the competition (Going by Honda's Pricing Strategy). That 1.8 iVTEC is good enough fo most of us. In case the buyer needs Performance oriented engine, he has Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Quote:
- Diesel will be the same 1.5L Earth Dreams i-DTEC with a bump in power/torque figures of around 12-15%.
This was expected, you had said this before. They may tweak engine to produce additional power. Will Honda step ahead & give it another turbo & make it a twin turbo 1.6 iDTEC ?

Quote:
- 4 variants to be on offer, with even the entry-level variant to be decently loaded in features (a la 2017 City & WR-V).
Even the last Civic was loaded in base S Trim. Few things it missed over Top Spec V Trim were Leather Seats, Cruise Control, Sunroof. I hope Honda does not restrict Premium features only on Top Spec Trim like they have done on Jazz, WR-V, BR-V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
The civic will definitely need a turbo engine if they are to compete with the Germans. And a good diesel engine as well. I don't see any of them on that list.
Civic will survive without that 1.5 Turbo Petrol. Why ? Because Octavia is there for those who need Powerful Petrol. This is very same reason why Hyundai didn't launch Elantra Turbo Petrol & Honda is also doing the same.

Regarding Diesel, they don't have any choice. They just have 1.5 Diesel for us. Like RavenAvi mentioned above, it will be tweaked to extract more power/torque. That is needed to compensate Premium Pricing over other Expensive Honda's (City/BR-V) that come with same engine.

Someone looking at Diesel will definitely look at Octavia rather then Civic, Corolla, Elantra.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:28   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Few queries
1. Any information on probable launch quarter? Is it going to be before Auto expo 2018?
2. Will HR-V and Civic be launched together or in same quarter? Will 1.8L I-Vtec also make it to HR-V?
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:53   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Few queries
1. Any information on probable launch quarter? Is it going to be before Auto expo 2018?
2. Will HR-V and Civic be launched together or in same quarter? Will 1.8L I-Vtec also make it to HR-V?
Could be an Auto Expo unveil, with a launch scheduled for a Feb-Mar 2018 date. A hybrid variant of the Civic is also being mulled for a launch at a later date.

HR-V is currently a fast-tracked product for Honda and if my birdies are to be believed, has already entered production. It will share the powertrains with the 2017 Honda City. I expect the HR-V to come earlier than the Civic, most probably by end-2017.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 00:39   #141

Quote:

--SNIP--
What are the chance of Honda bringing the hatch? It's just sad that we don't have any hatchback options in the Golf/Focus/Civic segment here. Hoping Honda changes that this year.
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:55   #142
BHPian

Honda is going the Maruti way by offering the same engines in almost all their cars.

The HR-V must get the 1.8l i-VTEC and the Civic, the 1.5 Turbo VTEC. And both of them should get the international 1.6 i-DTEC instead of the City's 1.5 unit.

Honda had an awesome product in the Jazz, but they messed it up in the Indian specification. Let's hope they don't repeat the same story because the HR-V and Civic, if well positioned are potential blockbusters.
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:53   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Could be an Auto Expo unveil, with a launch scheduled for a Feb-Mar 2018 date. A hybrid variant of the Civic is also being mulled for a launch at a later date.

HR-V is currently a fast-tracked product for Honda and if my birdies are to be believed, has already entered production. It will share the powertrains with the 2017 Honda City. I expect the HR-V to come earlier than the Civic, most probably by end-2017.
Can you find out from your birdie when the new CRV is launching in india ? please. sorry its off topic.
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:05   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel will be the same 1.5L Earth Dreams i-DTEC with a bump in power/torque figures of around 12-15%.
I hope Honda doesn't get this 1.5 IDTEC. Even the 1.6 IDTEC has poor NVH according to European reviews. Also the diesel engines for Honda in India has not done any good. Old gen City was known as a premium car for us, Indians. But new city with diesel engine was compared to a tractor . I hope Honda doesn't repeat the same mistake in more premium offering like Civic.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 23:35   #145

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/co...cle9616127.ece

Another article adds to the speculation. This one talks about the hybrid version being introduced. The pricing on of the hybrid will be the thing to watch out for.

Honda seems as confused as the rest of us
mihirdesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 09:41   #146
Senior - BHPian

I expect the new Civic to be priced exorbitantly. With the new City top end model touching 17l the Civic most probably will start from 19 lac.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 10:02   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I expect the new Civic to be priced exorbitantly. With the new City top end model touching 17l the Civic most probably will start from 19 lac.
I am compelled to agree. Going by the way Honda priced both City and Accord (on either sides of Civic), they wish to position their products as the most 'desirable' ones in a segment. They are happy to have Suzuki, Hyundai and Toyota play the volume game while carefully trying to claw back on the erosion they suffered to their positioning in the last two years. I think the focus has shifted from market share gains to richer positioning. It portends exciting times, as Honda can ride this positioning to introduce safer and tech advanced cars sooner to the Indian market.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:01   #148
BHPian

If Honda can match Honda Malaysia pricing, they will have a hit product after ages.
In Malaysia HR-V is priced 30.5% more than City and Civic is 45.3% more than city, this translates into HR-V S variant around 11.5-12 L (ex-showroom) and Civic S variant around 13 - 13,5L (ex-showroom) in Delhi. Gut feel, Honda will nowhere be close to these numbers.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:52   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is how the Honda Civic fared in it's first run (nearly 7 years) in the Indian market:

Honda Civic likely to return to India-117.jpg

Quote:
The product was internationally the Eight Generation model and was an instant hit in India. It sold ~10,000 units in the first 6 months of the launch, a feat that the Japanese Automaker wouldn’t have even dreamt about. Civic set new records in the segment – over 17k units sold in a single calendar year and still holds the record till date. It was the segment leader in the first year of the launch itself and even the global best selling brands (like the Corollas’ or the Camrys’) couldn’t match its feat – the highest that a Corolla sold in India in a Calendar Year is ~10k units.
The success run of Civic was halted by the global recession in 2009; and Indian consumers shift towards Diesel led them to opt for other brands (such as the Cruze). While Honda saw consistent decline year-on-year; it decided to pull the plug on the model in the year 2013. The intent was to focus on mass-volume models such as the Amaze (which was launched in Apr’2013).
Auto Punditz
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:19   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_gaur69 View Post
If Honda can match Honda Malaysia pricing, they will have a hit product after ages.
In Malaysia HR-V is priced 30.5% more than City and Civic is 45.3% more than city, this translates into HR-V S variant around 11.5-12 L (ex-showroom) and Civic S variant around 13 - 13,5L (ex-showroom) in Delhi. Gut feel, Honda will nowhere be close to these numbers.
Heard that Civic is going to be in the 17-20lakh range
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks