Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Update from my side, after numerous test drives and excel comparisons and debates with friends on Team-BHP and off it, I finally made my decision and booked the Ignis Delta AMT in Uptown Red color. The Dealer has promised the car delivery before the end of the month.

I believe the two cars are matched evenly, and it was a very difficult choice to make between the cars, and the Tiago has the much better looks no doubt.

As the car in question was the AMT, I felt in my driving experience that the K12 Engine + AMT combination on the Ignis is superior to the Tata's AMT setup and finalized on the Ignis

Thanks everyone who helped me with your valuable inputs and experience sharing during the selection process. And now the wait begins for the car delivery
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:06   #227
BHPian

What I see from my interaction with Tata motors during my booking process of Tiago is that they have improved considerably. The dealers are good atleast in Kolkata. They are trying to attend to the customer needs. The interaction with customer care was also good. Once I tweeted asking the booking status and got reply quickly. Also, the dealer called me back within a few hours with all the details. Secondly, I cancelled my first booking from one dealer and bought the car from another dealer as I got a better value for my old car from them. Also they had a car in stock which arrived on the day of my booking. The first dealer was bit reluctant to cancel the booking. So I shoot a mail to customercare and immediate reply asking details. Later they informed me that they have taken up the matter with the dealer and also I was given the phone number of the TSM in case I face any difficulty.

So, it was pleasant, though not at par with Maruti standard. The ASS is another thing that I'll have to see though.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 16:25   #228
BHPian

Booked Tiago XZA

01-05-2017: Called Lexux Motors Kolkata for the valuation of my old car. The sales person was very polite; also offered test drive (I did not ask for test drive).

02-05-2017: He came to my office with the test drive car and inspected my 2015 GenX Nano XTA. I took a test drive. Sharing my driving experience later.

04-05-2017: He rang me and offered 1 lakh for my Nano (present on-road price 3.5 lakh) .

06-05-2017: Visited KB Motors. Valuation of my Nano became 1.7 L. I was very happy and booked Tiago XZA Silver immediately. Once I booked, the valuer came and said he had given a wrong price; he can offer maximum of 1.3 L . I wanted to cancel the order immediately; and then the sales representative came and assured the price 1.7 L. The drama ended and I came back. I shall update you once I get the car. According to them it will take 20 days.

I wanted to get information about Tiago Activ accessory kit. They do not have any information. I left a long list of accessory for their quotation. Once I get the quotation I shall post it. Can anyone provide details of Active kit?

Test drive experience: City drive experience is very good (not excellent). Because of much larger engine, the car is much more responsive than Nano AMT. The AMT lag is around 0.7 sec, whereas, in nano it is around 1.5 sec. Creeping speed is approximately double than nano. Engine sound and vibration is acceptable for me (I am a Nano owner, LOL). Driving at 1st gear is extremely jerky in Nano, however, Tiago is much smoother in comparison. Gear shifting becomes confused sometimes as it was in Nano. Needs careful handling of A-pedal. Other things have been better reviewed in TBHP. Overall driving experience is good and it can be concluded that Tiago AMT is far better than Nano AMT and marginally better than Celerio AMT.
basubhatta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 20:26   #229
BHPian

Took delivery of my Berry Red Tiago XZA today from Lexus motors kolkata. Overall very smooth experience. Will post a ownership report once it completed 1st. service. The service interval of Tiago is larger, 1st 2 month/2000 km.
archat68 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 21:21   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
What I see from my interaction with Tata motors during my booking process of Tiago is that they have improved considerably. The dealers are good atleast in Kolkata. They are trying to attend to the customer needs. The interaction with customer care was also good.

So, it was pleasant, though not at par with Maruti standard. The ASS is another thing that I'll have to see though.
Agree to your points. After I informed the Sales Rep that I had booked a different car - I have got 3 separate follow up calls from Tata folks trying to find out the reasons for not buying Tiago.

The questions were about on what basis I made my decision and they genuinely wanted to understand if any of the other soft issues such as the Sales Rep or other interactions had made me move away from Tata.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 21:22   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Took delivery of my Berry Red Tiago XZA today from Lexus motors kolkata. Overall very smooth experience. Will post a ownership report once it completed 1st. service. The service interval of Tiago is larger, 1st 2 month/2000 km.

Congrats on your Tiago, how about some pictures to go with your new car announcement. I'm considering this car too for my better half. Would love to see the berry red colour in flesh.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 21:31   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Congrats on your Tiago, how about some pictures to go with your new car announcement. I'm considering this car too for my better half. Would love to see the berry red colour in flesh.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
I'd suggest you to go to the showroom. The berry red colour looks better in person than in the photos. I never thought that I'd buy a red colour car but seeing the shade and also ready availability of the car changed my mind. I'd say the berry red colour looks better than the sunburst orange colour.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 23:38   #233
Senior - BHPian

Updating the AMT Thread as well with the news - Tata Motors has hiked the prices of all Tata Cars (except Tigor) including the Tiago: URL
Old 15th May 2017, 17:59   #234
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Tiago AMT bought by a colleague for a few KMs today. This is my first experience driving a post "HORIZONEXT" Tata , and must say, its certainly a far cry from the Indica and Indigo we have owned in the past.

- The engine was rev happy, but quite gruff. Maruti does a better job of hiding the 3 cylinder thrum.
- That said, its quite rev happy, and you dont feel it once on the move.
- Excellent quality for the segment, easily matches a segment above. All switches, levers and bezels feel fine too touch and operate. Nothing feels as it would shake itself loose anytime soon.
- The is no shift protector and I felt that the lever has easy potential to move out of its slot incase you accidentally hit it while grabbing something out of the small sized cup holders.
- Slot into "A" , there is no "D" like a conventional automatic, and the car sets off after a slight delay. Not sure if it was an issue with the car I drove, but with no throttle input at all, the car juddered while creeping. But the creep mode is very much there, and should help in traffic. It seems like it is not an inherent creep that ATs have, but something that has been programmed into the ECU.
- I started off in the "city" mode , and the upshifts happened at about ~2k RPM. The shift from 1st to 2nd was surprisingly smooth if you take your foot off the throttle. Much better than how a Celerio would handle a similar scenario.
- With a light foot, the shifts are pretty imperceptible to someone who isnt looking for them. Give it the beans and the lag is considerable.
- Things get much better when you engage the "sports" mode. The shifts somehow happened at the same RPM ,but the overall throttle response seemed much better, there was less juddering and overall the car felt better to drive.
- The manual mode did not work too well for me , because I simply couldnt get into my head that pulling down was for downshift.. :P
- The overall fuel efficiency hovered at around 9.8 KMPL for the overall cycle.

The shifter with the sport mode.

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-shifter.jpg

The sound system was kickass! Loved it ! The parking sensors worked well as well.

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-sound.jpg

Apologies for the blurry pic. Quality is very good. Coudlnt figure out how to reset the trip meter though.

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-instrument_pod.jpg

The car was super brand new, only 65km on the ODO. I expect things to get more sorted as more KMs are added. Overall , I think its a good implementation of AMT, on par with the Celerio (just for the gearbox) , and beats it overall as a package with respect to (perceived) quality and is not as spartan as the Maruti as well. I would whole heartedly over the Celerio.
It is still not smooth as a conventional AT, but then I was not expecting it to be, so only compared it to the Celerio which I have driven.

I also have a Brio AT , which I still think is a benchmark engine and AT gearbox combo in the hatchback segment. Some comparisons (in my mind) were hence inevitable.

PS : Am I the only one to wish it had more power ?
sajo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:14   #235
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your impressions, sajo! Good to know your friend finally went for the Tiago over Celerio. What is his opinion of the car?

I agree with you that the Brio is a much better engine-gearbox combination. However at 8.27L OTR Mumbai (source: Carwale) it's pricing is rather steep IMHO.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:38   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
What is his opinion of the car?
The owner of the car is too much of a car noob to form an opinion right now, he is first focusing on getting to know the car and learning to drive well first. He is overall satisfied with what he got for , for the money he paid (6.25L On road PCMC , outside LBT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I agree with you that the Brio is a much better engine-gearbox combination. However at 8.27L OTR Mumbai (source: Carwale) it's pricing is rather steep IMHO.
Agree, difficult to make a rational case for the Brio , me was just making an apples to oranges comparison for AT behaviour.
PS : Do you still have your K12 Swift ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 11:41   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
PS : Do you still have your K12 Swift ?
No, we sold it a couple of years ago and bought an Xcent. The new owner is a close friend though, so I still get to drive it when we meet He takes excellent care of the car too. Whenever I drive it, it still brings a large grin on the face The Xcent is more of a point A to B commuter. Totally lacks the fun to drive factor! You can read the ownership review here.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:45   #238
BHPian

Booked Tiago XZA at Concorde Motors Baner,Sun burst Orange shade. Took a brief test drive and came back quite impressed.

One can actually regulate the gear changes by dabbing on or off the throttle. All my current drives are manuals so the so called jerk from 1st to 2nd gear was as good as non existent for me or rather it did not bother me that much. In the short 5 km test drive i got 16 kmpl on the trip computer.

Getting it for my wife ,though after driving it , i think whenever she is not driving i will be making most of it.
Old 20th May 2017, 14:00   #239
BHPian

Went for a test drive of the Tiago AMT today in Malad. For some reason the seat could not recline and was very cramped. Also the height adjust was not working properly. Gear shifts were very slow being an AMT so overall a below average experience.
Old 21st May 2017, 14:10   #240
BHPian

Somewhere on this thread there was a discussion about the remote Key not working after a week.

Seems like the explanation given for it is true, but it has become a cause of concern for Tata Motors, maybe they forgot to write about it in owners manual? Or too many people complained...
Received this sms last week on all my registered mobile numbers.

Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-1495356004775.jpg  

Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks