Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 19:00   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Tried exactly that sir, but a smooth reverse maneuver up an incline is just not possible in an AMT, which is possible in a manual or a Torque Converter Auto box. have not tried the DSG/CVT boxes in reverse, so can't comment. Checked out the I10Grand Auto and Tiago AMT, they are lightyears apart.
Ok. i10 Grand is a conventional automatic.
AMT is what all Maruti automatic cars use (except Baleno), all Tata automatic cars (except Hexa) and Mahindra and Renault Duster (the most expensive AMT I think - if you don't count the RaceMo )
I will try this again on a steeper incline now that you have mentioned it explicitly.
Both, clearly can't be compared. Grand i10 is 1 segment higher in all regards.
& yes, definitely the behaviour of DSG / CVT or even the Hexa BW Auto box is vastly different than the AMT.

As rightly said by you, it is after all your better half's comfort that matters.
My Tiago AMT is also for my better half, predominantly.
Although, I might try to sneak it out every once in a while (in the city) in lieu of the 'monster' Manza
Old 6th April 2017, 21:28   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Which all dealers in Chennai have a TD vehicle for Tiago AMT? Have suggested this to a friend of mine and have asked him to push for a TD vehicle as the dealer says no TD vehicles yet.

Edit:
Quote:
Easier said than done....my driveway up the gate in at an incline.
I understand the vehicle is for your wife and her comfort factor matters. I am trying to visualise your drive way & gate, but not able to figure that out. However my solution driven mind thinks why cant the car be parked so that the front faces the gate and there is no need to reverse to the gate everyday! At least that's what I do if the incline is heavy and I may require to do a reverse; have done it this way while I drive.

But yeah, may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th April 2017 at 21:38.
Old 6th April 2017, 21:59   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
)
I will try this again on a steeper incline now that you have mentioned it explicitly.
in lieu of the 'monster' Manza
Thank you for agreeing to do that. Your views are most cherished.

Was a proud owner of one of the first Manzas in Delhi once!
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 22:19   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
However my solution driven mind thinks why cant the car be parked so that the front faces the gate and there is no need to reverse to the gate everyday! At least that's what I do if the incline is heavy and I may require to do a reverse; have done it this way while I drive.

But yeah, may not be everyone's cup of tea.

The logic is that where the driveway ends there is a four inch skirting that begins, and when the rear wheels hit the skirting, there is still a few inches between the boot and the wall behind, hence you can reverse slowly and steadily, without fear of hitting the wall behind. Now, If I were to put the car in nose first, the bonnet will hit the wall BEFORE the front tyres hit the skirting, tricky, ain't it? The reason is because there is a larger distance between the front tyres and the bonnet edge than between the rear tyres and the edge of the boot. QED, hopefully!
That was the rational part. My wife's logic is that when you're setting out for the day, the wheels ought to move forwards, not in reverse!
windiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 23:05   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...My wife's logic is that when you're setting out for the day, the wheels ought to move forwards, not in reverse!
Well, superstitions aside, I am taught that the first movement of the car after ignition should be to the front, even if it's an inch or two. Not sure what's the logic, but I have seen this helps in engaging the reverse gear than from stand still. Am sure there is some 'mechanical' explanation, I don't know what is it.
Old 6th April 2017, 23:32   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

If your budget includes a Zeta variant then I would put my vote for the Ignis. The AMT is butter smooth with very less lag. The turning radius is small as well (4.7m) compared to the Tiago (4.9m) which makes a lot of difference in City Driving.

I had a tough time deciding between the Tiago XZA and the Ignis Delta itself, but now I am leaning more towards the Tiago given that it would be fully loaded with features such as Driver Seat Adjustment, Alloy Wheels, Better Music System, Rear Defogger/Wiper etc... Given Bangalore prices, the Delta AMT variant itself is 7.02 L OTR
You reinforce my views. While I am yet to see Tiago in flesh but did a quick comparison (based on numerous feedbacks and reviews.

Tiago XZA
OTR at Gurgaon - 5.95

Positive over Ignis
Better Looking (Subjective)
Height adjustible Driving Seat
Better Milege
Better Handling on bad roads
Better HU & Speakers
Roomier
Cooled Glovebox
AMT - Big Question mark
Less waiting period

Ignis Zeta 1.2 AT
OTR - 7.01

Positive over Tiago
4 Cylinder K series engine
Ground clearance
Start stop button (mareking gimmick)
better looking (maybe more functional) MID
Fuss free ownership
Better resale value (Not Sure)
AMT - Maybe better

PS: I couldn't figure out how to post a table in the reply hence wrote this long post. Apologies if I have violated any posting guidelines
roushan84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 08:16   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushan84 View Post

Tiago XZA
OTR at Gurgaon - 5.95

AMT - Big Question mark

Ignis Zeta 1.2 AT
OTR - 7.01

AMT - Maybe better
Tiago XZA in Bangalore is 6.71 otr!
But the Ignis Zeta is only about 50k more than Gurgaon! I wonder how that works...

Tata and Maruti use the same AMT system supplied by Magneti Marelli so if it works for Maruti, it will work for Tata, too. Same goes for problems as well. From what I have read, the most common problems with AMT cars is juddering or overheating clutches.
Old 7th April 2017, 08:34   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Tried exactly that sir, but a smooth reverse maneuver up an incline is just not possible in an AMT, which is possible in a manual or a Torque Converter Auto box. have not tried the DSG/CVT boxes in reverse, so can't comment. Checked out the I10Grand Auto and Tiago AMT, they are lightyears apart.
Yes, that is also a safety issue since while reversing, the car doesn't move when you are expecting it to move. And, as generally in India, those who are reversing do not have any preference. So while you think the path behind is clear and press the accelerator, the car is still wondering whether to move. And in the meanwhile a couple of two-wheelers and/or pedestrians try to pass by. So I have been suggesting to my friends that if they want to go for an AMT, then a reversing sensor is absolutely mandatory.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 15:01   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Yes, that is also a safety issue since while reversing, the car doesn't move when you are expecting it to move. And, as generally in India, those who are reversing do not have any preference. So while you think the path behind is clear and press the accelerator, the car is still wondering whether to move. And in the meanwhile a couple of two-wheelers and/or pedestrians try to pass by. So I have been suggesting to my friends that if they want to go for an AMT, then a reversing sensor is absolutely mandatory.
Absolutely agree. In fact I'll go as far and say that while AMT may be a welcome convenience to a seasoned driver but it is a potential hazard in the hands of a greenhorn. A rookie will be much more comfortable with a TC Auto box. I have no experience of CVT/DSG/DCT boxes, but I can safely say that they are all closer to a slush box than to an AMT.
Old 7th April 2017, 15:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Here is a Comparison Chart of the Tata Tiago XZA with the Ignis DELTA Variant:

Name:  TiagoVsIgnis.png
Views: 3762
Size:  36.8 KB

I heard from the Dealer that for Top End XZA, either MRF or Good Year tyres would be provided. I am thinking it maybe a wise move to swap out the tyres for Michelin XM2s post delivery.
vsrivatsa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 16:07   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a Comparison Chart of the Tata Tiago XZA with the Ignis DELTA Variant:

Attachment 1627344

I heard from the Dealer that for Top End XZA, either MRF or Good Year tyres would be provided. I am thinking it maybe a wise move to swap out the tyres for Michelin XM2s post delivery.

I hope you meant the boot space instead of Fuel Tank which reads 242 L and 260 L .

Apart from that, the comparison is a sure handy tool for quite a few folks in the market for any these cars! Thank you!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 16:07   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's bad because XE & XM variants come with Bridgestone/Apollo Tyres. I had seen quite a few units with these tires during my purchase back in August 2016.

Michelin Energy XM2 are good, are you planning of upsizing ?
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 16:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I hope you meant the boot space instead of Fuel Tank which reads 242 L and 260 L .

Apart from that, the comparison is a sure handy tool for quite a few folks in the market for any these cars! Thank you!
Yes my bad. Can't edit it anymore...Thanks for pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
That's bad because XE & XM variants come with Bridgestone/Apollo Tyres. I had seen quite a few units with these tires during my purchase back in August 2016.

Michelin Energy XM2 are good, are you planning of upsizing ?
If I get Bridgestone - then I will live with the stock tires, anything other than that I will go for the Michelin XM2 replacement at the same size. I think the sizing is done correct from Tata - I would not want to upsize given that my primary usage is city driving.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 10:08   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

As rightly said by you, it is after all your better half's comfort that matters.
My Tiago AMT is also for my better half, predominantly.
Sir, booked Tiago XZ (white) Petrol for wife last evening, she has been driving a WagonR manual for last 6yrs, so she's more comfortable with a manual, she says!. The dealer says it's a Feb manufactured car, all OK?
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 15:32   #150
BHPian

Taken the delivery yesterday, one of the first XZAs in Cochin. Hats off to the dealership Concord motors, they did everything to make us comfortable through the entire delivery process. Got the home delivery at 10.30PM as dad was not really comfortable taking the car through mad Friday evening traffic. The SA kept me updated as I was stuck at Bangalore and made sure the car was in pristine condition while delivery.

Overall very happy with the purchase, still thinking whether to swap the stock GoodYears with XM2. I don't have any prior experience with GoodYears, how do you rate it compared to BS.
LionX is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks