Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 15:37   #196
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Guys please do post an ownership review of Tiago AMT, now that few of the members have one. I would like to know how good the gearbox is mated with new 1.2 Revetron engine, compared to competition. Is there any juddering issue? The new 'Maruti AMT Woes' thread is another worrying factor.
Old 21st April 2017, 16:28   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Guys please do post an ownership review of Tiago AMT, now that few of the members have one. I would like to know how good the gearbox is mated with new 1.2 Revetron engine, compared to competition. Is there any juddering issue? The new 'Maruti AMT Woes' thread is another worrying factor.
I'm pretty sure that for every one unhappy AMT user, there will be hundred other happy ones. Just like in DSG. We have threads/posts dedicated to DSG woes and failures. Yet, it is around and people continue to buy. And we have several happy owners, too.
Old 21st April 2017, 16:30   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
My friend is taking delivery of his Tiago AMT XZA in Expresso Brown Color today.

OTR - 6.79/- Lakhs including zero depreciation insurance and 5000 worth free accessories.
Which Dealer in Bangalore gave 5000 worth free accessories - please provide details.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:18   #199
BHPian

Update on the initial ownership, I have completed 500km.

I am not really happy with the AMT box but it was kind of expected though. The main irritant is the lack of hill hold, you need to change your way of driving and make hand braking a habit at signals as the car will roll back even at slight inclines. My other car is Figo DCT hence finding it tough, may not be so problematic for others.
There is a clutch burning smell sometimes on highway runs especially when shifting from 3 to 4 in auto mode but no vibrations or anything as pointed out in Maruti AMT woes thread.

Other than this there were some issues with the PDI done by the dealer, only pertaining to my vehicle.

1. The front washer was not working as the hose was disconnected inside the tank. - Fixed it.

2. The suspension was so stiff and ride was uncomfortable - Seems to fixed after the suspension mounts readjustment.

3. There is a noise under the dash, something like a loose plug - Fixed it by damping inside the dash above the HU. Must be AC vent rubbing against the dash.

An advice to perspective buyers, please follow tbhp PDI checklist diligently as TATA QC is still not matured enough for a blind delivery.

Last edited by LionX : 22nd April 2017 at 11:41. Reason: Update
LionX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:42   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Update on the initial ownership, I have completed 500km.I am not really happy with the AMT box but it was kind of expected though. The main irritant is the lack of hill hold, you need to change your way of driving and make hand braking a habit at signals as the car will roll back even at slight inclines.
Good to hear about the 500 km run I have the habit of using the Hand Brakes in signals - so I guess that would not be a worry for me.

Quote:
An advice to perspective buyers, please follow tbhp PDI checklist diligently as TATA QC is still not matured enough for a blind delivery.
I think this is good advice and very true - one cannot takes changes.

Could you also share some information on what kind of mileage you are observing in City/Highway driving ?

Coming to another topic based on the AMT woes thread, does Tata's 2 years warranty cover the AMT Gearbox as well?
Old 22nd April 2017, 17:08   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the initial ownership, I have completed 500km.

There is a clutch burning smell sometimes on highway runs especially when shifting from 3 to 4 in auto mode but no vibrations or anything as pointed out in Maruti AMT woes thread.

Other than this there were some issues with the PDI done by the dealer, only pertaining to my vehicle.

. The suspension was so stiff and ride was uncomfortable - Seems to fixed after the suspension mounts readjustment.

There is a noise under the dash, something like a loose plug - Fixed it by damping inside the dash above the HU. Must be AC vent rubbing against the dash.
The burning smell is there in the manual Tiago too and it's something​ to do with the glue for the damping behind the firewall or something related as explained by my TASS, it will subside over time.

Did you get the suspension mounts adjusted in your presence or was this an explanation given by TASS guys?

Has the sound from the dashboard gone now? Asking this as a lot of manual Tiago owners have this issue and are looking for a solution.

Last edited by damodar : 22nd April 2017 at 17:09.
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:45   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Could you also share some information on what kind of mileage you are observing in City/Highway driving ?

Coming to another topic based on the AMT woes thread, does Tata's 2 years warranty cover the AMT Gearbox as well?
My not so sedate driving returned around 19km/l in Kerala roads which includes both city and highway drive. I was also in sports mode for sometime.

Yes, the warranty should include AMT also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The burning smell is there in the manual Tiago too and it's something​ to do with the glue for the damping behind the firewall or something related as explained by my TASS, it will subside over time.

Did you get the suspension mounts adjusted in your presence or was this an explanation given by TASS guys?

Has the sound from the dashboard gone now? Asking this as a lot of manual Tiago owners have this issue and are looking for a solution.
Thanks for the info regarding the glue but I doubt it as CatCon which is giving this smell, I am getting similar one in my Figo DCT and someone has pointed it out as a probability.

The suspension work was not done in my presence, I was told so by the SA but there is a definite improvement and I don't think it's just mental feeling.

The dashboard sound has reduced but not gone completely. Waiting for the first service to address it by the dealer.

Query to existing owners or Tiago petrol, I am very particular about changing the engine oil after 1000km. Anyone have experience in Petronas 5w40 in Tiago, it's listed in the manual and recommended by TM. I believe it's the same oil of Manza, I am using it in my safari for the more than 30k KM's. It's a fully synthetic oil at affordable price which might reduce the 3pot vibrations to an extent is my expectation.
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:15   #203
BHPian

Quote:
1. My not so sedate driving returned around 19km

2. The suspension work was not done in my presence, I was told so by the SA but there is a definite improvement and I don't think it's just mental feeling.

3. Query to existing owners or Tiago petrol, I am very particular about changing the engine oil after 1000km. Anyone have experience in Petronas 5w40 in Tiago, it's listed in the manual and recommended by TM. I believe it's the same oil of Manza, I am using it in my safari for the more than 30k KM's. It's a fully synthetic oil at affordable price which might reduce the 3pot vibrations to an extent is my expectation.
Thanks for the update. I have a few queries:

1. This value from MID or tankful to tankful calculation?
2. did you check the tire pressure? Sometimes over Inflated tires give stiff ride and. I don't think there is something to adjust in suspension
3. For new engine I think mineral oil is better compared to fully synthetic. Synthetic oil can be used after 10000 km.

I'm waiting for delivery of my car. Hopefully it will be delivered by end of month.
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:51   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Query to existing owners or Tiago petrol, I am very particular about changing the engine oil after 1000km. Anyone have experience in Petronas 5w40 in Tiago, it's listed in the manual and recommended by TM. I believe it's the same oil of Manza, I am using it in my safari for the more than 30k KM's. It's a fully synthetic oil at affordable price which might reduce the 3pot vibrations to an extent is my expectation.
Did a quick check with a person that I know who uses synthetic oil (not specifically for Tiago though) and he recommended the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 which is also supposed to be fully synthetic

On another note, I find it strange that there is no absolutely no professional review of the Tiago AMT from any of the leading magazine guys like Overdrive/Autocar/Powerdrift yet on YouTube...all I could find was an advertisement for the Tiago Automatic:
URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 22nd April 2017 at 21:57.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:36   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Thanks for the update. I have a few queries:

1. This value from MID or tankful to tankful calculation?
2. did you check the tire pressure? Sometimes over Inflated tires give stiff ride and. I don't think there is something to adjust in suspension
3. For new engine I think mineral oil is better compared to fully synthetic. Synthetic oil can be used after 10000 km.

I'm waiting for delivery of my car. Hopefully it will be delivered by end of month.
1. It's from MID and a quick manual calculation also returned similar figures.

2. Tyre pressure was the first thing crossed my mind and adjusted to manufacturer figures. I even went ahead filling nitrogen without any improvement. Suspension has many rubber mountings and it can cause stuffiness if not seated or lubricated property, I guess that's what the dealer did. They must have removed the suspension arms and lubricated, the damper movement has improved for sure.

3. I don't think that's a valid point as many of the newer cars comes with synthetic oils from the factory itself.

Quote:
Did a quick check with a person that I know who uses synthetic oil (not specifically for Tiago though) and he recommended the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 which is also supposed to be fully synthetic
Thanks for the input, I take Personas anyday over Shell for the VFM factor it costs less than 500per litr. From my past experiences Petronas gave smoother engine than Shell and Motul.
LionX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 14:51   #206
BHPian

Gave her a good wash followed by hard wax, the end result.
Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-img_20170423_144239.jpg
Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-img_20170423_144058.jpg
Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-img_20170423_144019.jpg

IMO, Tiago needs a proper waxing right after delivery to showcase her body lines, factory wax is not good.
LionX is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 21:33   #207
Senior - BHPian

This weekend I thought to do one more test drive to finalize my decision on the Tiago XZA (AMT) and what happened has left me a bit confused.

I called up Prerana Motors, Lal Bagh Road Bangalore and requested for a Test Drive on Saturday. The lady on the other end said the test drive car has gone to Rajajinagar and hence was not immediately available. I asked if the car would be available at their BTM Layout Showroom and she said Prerana Motors across all outlets has only 1 test drive car and that was at Rajajinagar. I asked them to call back when the car was available and left my number.

I then called Aadya Motors, Kanakapura Road and enquired for a Test Drive. This time they said the TD car has gone to Hebbal and hence was not available.

It looks like per dealership they have only 1 TD car and it goes from one corner of town to another....

I later received a call from Prerana Motors stating they would arrange test drive for me on Sunday and fixed this up. On Sunday, after much delay, the guy reached at around 3-30 PM with a Test Drive Car.

This time, I switched off the music system and AC/Blower and drove the car listening to the engine. Somehow I feel my personal level of engine noise tolerance is high and I found the noise levels tolerable. As a side bar note, let me add that my other car is a Diesel Honda City - which is not really known for much refinement either...

Next, I tried the car over my favorite incline which I take all cars over. The creep alone did not hold the car and the car rolled back a little. I did brake and then did a full throttle and the car managed to move forward and managed to get back into control. Not bad, the Celerio also behaved in pretty much the same way on this incline. (For the record, the only car which managed to move forward on this incline with just the creep mode and no accelerator input has been the Grand i10 Automatic.)

I drove sedately and found that the switching of gears is acceptable. I then switched to manual mode and drove for while. The experience in the manual mode was more confidence inspiring and its a reassurance that in some scenarios it would be handy to have this option available. I completed the Test Drive and came back and tried the Harman Music System - the sound quality is really good.

At this point of time, I asked my Dad if he would like to do a Test Drive and we went on another TD and this time I sat in the back seat. I felt the back seats are smaller in size and lacks thigh support and may not be very comfortable for highway long distance journeys (this maybe common in this segment though and here again let me point that my other car is the 4th Gen Honda City which is famous for its spacious and comfortable rear seat - so again it maybe that my expectation is set high). On the positive side, the car provides speed sensing auto-locking where the doors get locked once the car reaches a speed of about 10-15 kmph.

Now here is where the fun starts. The Automatic mode test drive went fine and this is when my Dad decided to switch to Manual Mode. Once he moved to Manual Mode, the car stopped taking the accelerator input correctly and started moving in a odd manner. Also, even though he hit the "+" sign to upshift the gear that also did not work. I decided to take over the reigns and moved to the driver seat. Realized that my Dad was not doing anything wrong and something had really gone wrong with the car. The Manual mode was just not working. The car refused to move even in the first gear now. Moved back to Autmatic mode and it managed to move forward at a low speed but struggled to cross 10-15 kmph.

Finally handed over the car to the Sales Rep. and he too was unsure what to do. Switched off the car, pulled out the key and tried again but it did not work. He put the car in reverse gear and the car moved backwards smoothly. I joked that he may have to take the car backwards to the showroom all the way

He put it back to Auto mode and the car was only able to move forward at slow speeds and did not upshift to second gear also. We headed back and he dropped me back at home and promised to bring another car for Test Drive again. The car had a mileage only 1062 kms on board when I checked. The Sales Rep mentioned that even the First Service had not been completed on the car. Now there ends my story of Test Drive for today.

At the end of it here are my thoughts:

Should I dismiss this as one-off incident or is the AMT technology really mature overall or has Magneti Marelli released a product with some form of design defect? We are seeing some woes on the Maruti AMT woes thread as well.

I need to double check what kind of warranty TATA provides on the AMT Gearbox. The Sales Rep was not very sure on what all is covered under warranty.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd April 2017 at 21:37.
vsrivatsa is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 09:02   #208
BHPian

Quote:

At the end of it here are my thoughts:

Should I dismiss this as one-off incident or is the AMT technology really mature overall or has Magneti Marelli released a product with some form of design defect? We are seeing some woes on the Maruti AMT woes thread as well.

I need to double check what kind of warranty TATA provides on the AMT Gearbox. The Sales Rep was not very sure on what all is covered under warranty.
Having two NANO amts in my family, one of which is a 2 year old done 7000km and the other 4 months old with 2600km on odo never seen such behaviour in either of those cars till now.
My guess is it's not related to AMT or shifter but some thing to do with clutch and related sensors. When clutch gets over heated the car could go into a safe mode. Also overheating can happen to the hydraulics of the AMT system leading to such behaviour.
If you can follow up with the SA who got the car and share the actual problem and the solution for it here, it would be really helpful for prospective buyers.

Last edited by damodar : 24th April 2017 at 09:03.
damodar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 10:36   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Having two NANO amts in my family, one of which is a 2 year old done 7000km and the other 4 months old with 2600km on odo never seen such behaviour in either of those cars till now.
My guess is it's not related to AMT or shifter but some thing to do with clutch and related sensors. When clutch gets over heated the car could go into a safe mode. Also overheating can happen to the hydraulics of the AMT system leading to such behaviour.
If you can follow up with the SA who got the car and share the actual problem and the solution for it here, it would be really helpful for prospective buyers.
Yes, I have requested the Sales Rep to share the reason and the corrective action once its sorted out.

Meanwhile, since you have prior experience with Tata AMTs - do you know what is the warranty clause associated with Automatics from Tata side? Essentially I am trying to understand what is covered and what is not.
Old 24th April 2017, 15:11   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have requested the Sales Rep to share the reason and the corrective action once its sorted out.

Meanwhile, since you have prior experience with Tata AMTs - do you know what is the warranty clause associated with Automatics from Tata side? Essentially I am trying to understand what is covered and what is not.

The warranty booklet given by TATA mentions engine and gearbox as covered but there is no specific mention of the AMT module. But since it's part of the gearbox it should also be covered under warranty either factory or extended. The usual wear and tear items such as clutch are not part of warranty but unique to TATA they are a part of gold AMC package. As long as the AMC is valid the clutch will be replaced free of cost including labour.
damodar is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks