Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 19:43   #316
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
If anyone could shed light on how Jeep's are perceived out of India - in terms of reliability it would be great.
Jeep has never been a really big brand in most of the countries. Though it has been a respected brand with fair amount of sales, but never could outdo other "local" favorites - viz. Toyota in Asia and Ford, Chevrolet, GMC in US apart from obviously the niche brands like Lexus, Jaguar, Volvo and the Germans.

To substantiate that, here is the list of top SUVs in US for 2016. Interestingly, Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 are the biggest. By the way, US is taking to soft-roaders, mid-size SUVs in a big way going by the recent trends.

Please use this link to see the data. There is a detailed table in the coverage.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01...-by-model.html

ps. We in India do have a soft corner for Jeep due to it being the first SUV for us but I doubt any other countries share the same sentiments. All that WWII heritage tag does not wash much with the millennials and the new generations

Last edited by nareshtrao : 13th April 2017 at 20:03.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 19:56   #317
BHPian

All the pricing predicted on different websites should be taken with a pinch of salt. Given the excitement towards the product (Compass), the websites are doing their job of grabbing the maximum traffic by saying the product would be priced low.

Many of us have a valid concern of service and dealership, I'm sure Jeep would be addressing this hence they have made plans for launch of the product at a later date. I do remember that when Duster was launched and sold in good numbers, the Renault dealerships and service centres were thin, it was a single successful product for Renault. But they ramped up production and dealership gradually. Duster wasn't a great product, it has great ride quality, average interiors and was priced higher than it should be (at that time), but it still became successful. I feel the Jeep Compass wants to go the same way and I see no wrong in that.

Jeep would certainly price it premium, considering the quality and features assured. Also they would not want a crowd in the showroom/service centre from day one and would like sales to match with production, delivery and servicing. They'd ramp up their facilities, and bring in the mass market SUV Renegade later on which is likely to be priced more aggressively.

A 5-seater urban SUV like the Compass certainly has the style and appeal, there is no quality product at this moment and Jeep should cash in by pricing the product correctly. On hindsight, I feel Hyundai should step up now, get the 4x4 for Creta and Tucson asap. Then we'll surely have a game on the cards
streetfighter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 21:34   #318
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Jeep is an iconic brand and inspired a cult following.
They indeed have never had a great rep for reliability as compared with the Toyotas of this world. Neither has Land Rover been remowned for reliability compared with the Toyota type vehicles.
However even Landy has a cult following.
People who buy Jeeps and Landys and even Gypsys are led by their hearts and not their heads.
If one wants predictability and reliability and lots of features and service centres etc dont buy a Jeep or a Landy - just go and buy a Toyota or a Hyundai. A Gypsy of course is eminently serviceable even at a roadside garage, just the way the old style Jeeps and Landys were.
Like I said, only the Heart Rules in this kind of brand loyalty.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 08:41   #319
BHPian

Jeep certainly looks like it could pioneer a momentum shift in a predominantly diesel segment. A 160 hp 1.4 engine certainly looks promising and if it has decent fuel economy, combined with the anticipated features, it could very well be a game changer. Let's wait and watch.
Old 14th April 2017, 08:50   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
A 160 hp 1.4 engine certainly looks promising
I agree. I'm more excited for the petrol than the diesel. If it gives a good mix of everything, this will be my next car!
Old 14th April 2017, 11:10   #321
Senior - BHPian

I was watching a few reviews of the Compass on YouTube and the reviews don't have such nice things to say about the petrol engines on offer - the 2 and 2.4 litre versions, because it's a heavy car. Jeep should focus on diesel, that's the fuel of choice for SUVs, the 1.6 will do for our market, a diesel automatic is more important than an small turbo petrol.

The interior of the car puts it firmly in the mass market, the reviews praise the improvement in perceived quality, makes you wonder what they it was like before. This thread has been going on for long, somehow I feel is going to be like a Fiat thread, long on enthusiasm and short on sales.
Old 14th April 2017, 13:06   #322

I'm curious, are there any other car models where India is the sole manufacturing hub for RHD versions worldwide? Apart from the Indian company models (Tata / Mahindra).

I ask because some RHD countries have pretty mature car markets ( Australia, UK) where consumers are used to a certain level of equipment and quality. If vehicles to be sold there are going to be manufactured here (with high localization) then there should be a plethora of variants which can be sold in India without a high tax burden.

I wanted to know if there are some prior examples of a similar situation so we can draw a parallel. A foreign company using India as the sole hub for all RHD versions of a car.
Old 14th April 2017, 14:12   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
I wanted to know if there are some prior examples of a similar situation so we can draw a parallel. A foreign company using India as the sole hub for all RHD versions of a car.
Hyundai used to sell India made i10 in the UK and I remember that car being top of the segment as per Autocar UK. I am not sure whether the latest i10 in the UK is India made though.
Old 14th April 2017, 14:37   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
I'm curious, are there any other car models where India is the sole manufacturing hub for RHD versions worldwide? Apart from the Indian company models (Tata / Mahindra).

I ask because some RHD countries have pretty mature car markets ( Australia, UK)
Ford exported the Ecosport to the UK. They didn't like the Indian Ecosport; there were quite a few bad reports. I am not sure whether the quality was really sub-par according to UK standards or if they just didn't like the fact that it was manufactured in India.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 14th April 2017 at 14:46.
Old 14th April 2017, 15:12   #325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Ford exported the Ecosport to the UK. They didn't like the Indian Ecosport; there were quite a few bad reports. I am not sure whether the quality was really sub-par according to UK standards or if they just didn't like the fact that it was manufactured in India.
The ecosport wasn't liked, because they didn't price it like it is in india. It costs less than a duster here (even for petrol which doesn't get excise cuts), but there they priced it over 15000 pounds which is about 4-5k pounds above the duster and that's in the Yeti territory. And for that kind of money, I would expect better quality too.
Similarly if Jeep can make an 18 lakh rupee car and sell there at 20, I think both markets would be happy, since both expect a good quality and finish at that price
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 16:55   #326
BHPian

Powerdrift gives a glance at the Compass. Quite some notable points made by Mr Kevin Flynn throughout the video. Judging by that, it seems impossible for the Compass to be priced below 20 lakhs ex-showroom!

GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 17:29   #327
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Excellent little video clip there!
Thanks for sharing it.
And yes! Given the features on offer, I for one would be extremely surprised (as articulated ad nauseam) if it clocks in at any less than 34 on road for the top spec diesel 4x4 AT version.

It is not comparable at all, by any means, to the XUV, Creta and the likes of those.
Clearly it is a segment or two above.
The BRV itself is sitting at almost 17 lacs. The S Cross is around 14 ish.

How is it even conceivable for this Jeep to come in and compete with those vehicles when it is clearly so much better and so much more capable?

And like I keep saying, if the Yeti itself is at 30 On Road and the Tiguan is likely to come in soon and again, because of its positioning, the likely price will certainly be 34 lacs at least, then it is almost certain that the Compass will be priced like I am saying it will be!

Go on now Jeep! Surprise us!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th April 2017 at 17:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 19:01   #328
BHPian

I got a oral confirmation from Jeep Kochi that prices will be in the range of 17 to 28 Lacs; which more or less ties with your prediction of 34 Lacs on road.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 20:07   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Excellent little video clip there!
Thanks for sharing it.
And yes! Given the features on offer, I for one would be extremely surprised (as articulated ad nauseam) if it clocks in at any less than 34 on road for the top spec diesel 4x4 AT version.
Go on now Jeep! Surprise us!

Jeep is trying to position itself as a premium brand. And thanks to their blunder on Grand Cherokee and Wrangler pricing, there is a massive gap left to fill between the Compass and the Wrangler.

Anything below 30 OTR would be a pleasant surprise and if it is less than 25 then many would upgrade to the Compass especially the owners of top end AWD models of XUV, Duster, Creta and the likes. My bet is on 35+ OTR for top 4x4 trim.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 20:30   #330
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling they may be holding back on top of line 4x4 Diesel AT to manage market perceptions of what price the range tops off at. Just a hunch of course. They can always launch it a bit later at a higher price once the initial press releases around the new launch and its price range are done and dusted.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks