Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 10:18   #226
BHPian

Will Jeep Compass be the most affordable luxury SUV in India?

Interesting article in Hindustan Times:

It mentions quotes of a few car analysts, who think that the Compass may be launched with a price of INR 15-16 lacs.

Urban Science analyst Amit Kaushik said, “If FCA manages to price it right, which they seems to be, it will be fortune-maker for them in India.” He expects the Compass to be priced around Rs 15 lakh.

“The Compass would be the mainstay model for Jeep in India. It has a different character altogether, very different from the Tucson or the CR-V, so the target buyers are not really the same set,” said analyst Anil Sharma of IHS Markit.

But getting a brand new Jeep at that price may encourage SUV-buyers of the Rs 12-15 lakh budget to dig their pockets deeper and go up to Rs 16-18 lakh. That means, Mahindra’s XUV500, Tata Hexa, Hyundai Creta and Nissan Terrano may face some heat too.
reddevilgautam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 11:05   #227
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Wishful thinking by The Hindustan Times. It will be commendable if Jeep manages to price the vehicles less than the Tucson. Comparing the prices to the Creta is really expecting toooooooooo much.
thesilentone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 11:26   #228
Senior - BHPian

Who knows, Jeep might surprise us by launching 2WD Base Versions for 15 lakhs & Fully Kitted AWD/4WD versions for 23-25 lakhs.

There will be 2 Engine Options & 2 Gearbox Options mated to 2WD & 4WD Setup. So, Jeep has lots of variants to play with.

Here are the speculated Variants of 2017 Jeep Compass.

Petrol Base 2WD MT
Petrol Mid 2WD MT / AT
Petrol Mid 4WD MT / AT
Petrol Top 2WD MT / AT
Petrol Top 4WD MT / AT

Diesel Base 2WD MT / AT
Diesel Mid 2WD MT / AT
Diesel Mid 4WD MT / AT
Diesel Top 2WD MT / AT
Diesel Top 4WD MT / AT

With so many variants, Jeep can compete with likes of Creta/Duster/Captur/BR-V & Crossover's like CR-V/Tuscon & some Pure SUV's (4WD Setup) like Fortuner & Endeavour.

Why are we hearing starting price of 15-20 lakhs for Compass ?

Simply because it will be the lone Volume Car for Jeep In India. They don't have any other option. So, they want to make sure this one brings in numbers at a wide price range so that it entices customers to consider Jeep at a price of Hyundai/Honda/Toyota etc.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 11:41   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will Jeep Compass be the most affordable luxury SUV in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Interesting article in Hindustan Times:
It mentions quotes of a few car analysts, who think that the Compass may be launched with a price of INR 15-16 lacs.

Urban Science analyst Amit Kaushik said, “If FCA manages to price it right, which they seems to be, it will be fortune-maker for them in India.” He expects the Compass to be priced around Rs 15 lakh.
But getting a brand new Jeep at that price may encourage SUV-buyers of the Rs 12-15 lakh budget to dig their pockets deeper and go up to Rs 16-18 lakh. That means, Mahindra’s XUV500, Tata Hexa, Hyundai Creta and Nissan Terrano may face some heat too.
At the prices mentioned, all those SUVs above and below will face serious heat - make no mistake. And some sedans too.
If this really happens it will be a joker in the pack - a real game changer in our market.
Old 11th April 2017, 11:56   #230
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Suddenly, an amount of 15 lacs is set in people's mind and even if they launch at 18 lacs, everyone will complain that its overpriced. But agree, at 15 lacs, it will be more than a game changer. It will simply clean up what little sale Duster/Terrano have and will largely eat into Creta's numbers.
Old 11th April 2017, 12:48   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post

.."it will be fortune-maker for them in India.” He expects the Compass to be priced around Rs 15 lakh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
Wishful thinking ... It will be commendable if Jeep manages to price the vehicles less than the Tucson. ...
While anybody would be delighted to see the Jeep Compass to start at 15 Lakh, and everybody would agree that at 15 Lakh, the competition would be almost destroyed, I do not see how Jeep could sell this big and this advanced a vehicle at that price and make any money out of it, let alone the "fortune" the analyst speaks about!

Ah, well, the Tiguan thread mentions that an esteemed member was quoted a possible 22 Lakh starting price for it by the dealer. So, I would be very very happy if the analyst's words turn golden!
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 13:03   #232

Slightly off topic: Hi Everyone, I have been using Safari for the last 9 years and felt it’s time to change. Been looking for a used Fortuner and finally zeroed in on a Mid 2015 top end version for 26 Lakhs (done 17000kms). My family is 2+2 but we got used to safari so much for long drives and visiting parents hence the shift to similar vehicle, in this case, Fortuner. Also we wanted a road view similar to Safari and we couldn’t see it in BRV/Hexa/Innova/Creta/Duster/Terrano/Ecosport. I drove Fortuner a couple of times and I was comfortable wrt the road view. Features like service network, lower cost of maintenance, better resale value, looks of the car etc have strengthened our choice of Fortuner.

Now the challenge: my nephew has been asking me to buy Jeep Compass instead of T-Fort saying that it is coming with killer pricing just to penetrate the market. Though I have a safari, I’m no great off roader and I’m not sure if I will be utilizing this feature of Jeep Compass much. Looking to hear from the gurus here on what would be your take. Thank you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th April 2017 at 13:59. Reason: Adding paragraph space
Old 11th April 2017, 13:09   #233
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Just spoke to the Bangalore Jeep dealership. The sales guy was absolutely confident of the pricing.

He did not have details of variants and the specific pricing for the variant but was supremely confident of the start price at 16 lakhs and the top spec at 22 lakhs ex showroom.

If this is true. Sleepless nights for Hyundai , Renault , Nissan , Mahindra and Tata.
Old 11th April 2017, 13:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

I doubt about 15 Lakh for Compass. If so, then where will they place there up coming Renegade when launched?
Old 11th April 2017, 14:08   #235
BHPian

I think this thread has taken a slight wrong turn by only discussing about the prices (Courtesy: FCA's poor state in Indian market and unrealistic launch price of GC/Wrangler).

The expectations are too high I am afraid and even 2L here and there will dent the sentiments.
Old 11th April 2017, 14:30   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I doubt about 15 Lakh for Compass. If so, then where will they place there up coming Renegade when launched?
As far as I know, there is no Renegade being launched by Jeep. Instead, they will launch a sub 4 meter vehicle (based on Renegade) next year at a slight premium to Ecosport. That is expected to be launched below INR 10 lacs.

https://autoportal.com/news/jeep-bos...ndia-9518.html

Last edited by reddevilgautam : 11th April 2017 at 14:31.
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 14:55   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
While anybody would be delighted to see the Jeep Compass to start at 15 Lakh, and everybody would agree that at 15 Lakh, the competition would be almost destroyed, I do not see how Jeep could sell this big and this advanced a vehicle at that price and make any money out of it, let alone the "fortune" the analyst speaks about!
the vehicle isnt that big. I just checked dimensions of the US model. It falls right in the Duster category. Suddenly, the price makes sense for the 2WD variants. I mean, why would anyone pay 25-30 lacs for something that is the size of Duster.
Attached Images

Last edited by m8002? : 11th April 2017 at 14:57. Reason: Grammatical errors.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:45   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
the vehicle isnt that big. I just checked dimensions of the US model. It falls right in the Duster category. Suddenly, the price makes sense for the 2WD variants. I mean, why would anyone pay 25-30 lacs for something that is the size of Duster.
For comparison sake, let's also consider the Hyundai Tuscon:

Length: 4475mm
Width: 1850mm
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:57   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
For comparison sake, let's also consider the Hyundai Tuscon:

Length: 4475mm
Width: 1850mm
Fair enough. But the general opinion is that its way overpriced and it shows in the sales numbers. It sells in the 100s.
The question then becomes where does FIAT want to position it and what numbers they expect it to sell.
Old 11th April 2017, 16:03   #240

Does anyone know in which segment compass belongs, C2, D1 ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks