BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Check the latest pic ,looks really nice
https://m.facebook.com/autowheelsind...611849/?type=3
Old 9th May 2020, 21:12   #722
BANNED

I have a question.
Wasn't the Thar rumoured to also be coming with a 5 door version?
If yes, why haven't there been any test mules of the the same?
And if yes, does anyone have a render of the same?
Old 9th May 2020, 22:24   #723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Wasn't the Thar rumoured to also be coming with a 5 door version?
That will be the new 'Scorpio'.

Thar is only coming with hardtop and soft-top versions.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 03:04   #724
Senior - BHPian

I hope Mahindra doesn't underpower and over price the new Thar and short change the new car buyer on features at launch as usual which is the norm for the indian car industry. Wait a year and you can buy the same car with offers, incentives and more features at no additional cost. Don't fleece the new car buyer, Mahindra Motor.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 10:26   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
The new Thar looks production ready. I received the pic shown below through WhatsApp:
Looks nice. I guess the orange color could be the one that will used for promotions and brand building.

Any idea why the front grill and headlamp clusters aren't looking finished. The headlamps are going inwards and the 7 slat grill is more vertical.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:38   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Looks nice. I guess the orange color could be the one that will used for promotions and brand building.

Any idea why the front grill and headlamp clusters aren't looking finished. The headlamps are going inwards and the 7 slat grill is more vertical.
The front portion is replica of Jeep Wrangler 3 door version. I believe the headlights seen the pic might not be the final one, we can expect projector headlamps. But if you see the pic below of Jeep Wrangler (Source:google), the headlights are placed little inside.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-26b12071b7444b8a9c49684282a93d6f.jpeg

Last edited by abhikb : 10th May 2020 at 10:40.
Old 10th May 2020, 13:56   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
The new Thar looks production ready. I received the pic shown below through WhatsApp:

Attachment 2003836
Whats up with the rear wheel on a visibly flat surface?
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 16:47   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Wait a year and you can buy the same car with offers, incentives and more features at no additional cost.
Thar has never really faced any competition and M&M never really offer any discounts or offers on the Thar CRDe. They have always milked it and I feel per vehicle profit is probably very high on the Thar CRDe. A bare bones no frills vehicle made from the exiting parts bin costed about Rs. 10 Lakhs ex-showroom. When you could get vehicles with much better safety kit and options for the same price.

I suspect Mahindra will continue to milk the monopoly they have in the recreational SWB 4WD market.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 17:32   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Thar has never really faced any competition and M&M never really offer any discounts or offers on the Thar CRDe. They have always milked it and I feel per vehicle profit is probably very high on the Thar CRDe. A bare bones no frills vehicle made from the exiting parts bin costed about Rs. 10 Lakhs ex-showroom. When you could get vehicles with much better safety kit and options for the same price.

I suspect Mahindra will continue to milk the monopoly they have in the recreational SWB 4WD market.
My 2 cents on this.

Totally agree that Thar has been a monopolist vehicle for Mahindra and they never give any form of discount and benefits on this at any point of time, unless the car has been lying at dealers yard for quite a long time. (Dealer offered me a discount of 1.1L on Nov-2018 made Thar in July-2019). While My Thar 700 costed me close to Rs. 12 lakhs on road last year in August-2019, it amused me a lot why does Mahindra charge so much premium for a bare bones vehicle considering you get lot many things in other vehicles at that price. So the 1st thing I did after getting the invoice was to check the breakup. To my surprise, the basic value of the vehicle is Rs. 6.5 lakhs which includes all cost, company and dealers margin. GST and Cess totals to about Rs. 3.5 lakhs which took the ex-showroom cost to Rs. 10 lakhs. Looking to this I really doubt they sold the vehicle with hefty margin but yes certainly it can’t be ruled out that they might be selling it with somewhat higher margins than other product. For example if other products at 10% GM then sell the Thar at 15% GM.

However as conveyed by you there’s no doubt that Mahindra would like to continue its monopolist approach with the new product but how competitive they price it, is going to be very important. I am expecting a premium of Rs. 3-4 Lakhs over the existing product with the add ons in the new product.
abhikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 19:19   #730
Senior - BHPian

I second that. I am anticipating a pricing around 14 to 15 Lacs ex Showroom for the top variants. It will easily cross 16L on road. I can see only die hard enthusiasts going for it.

I would love to see it around 14L on road for the top variant. Only if wishes were horses.
Old 10th May 2020, 23:55   #731
Senior - BHPian

Any prices in Creta / Seltos variants territory means this is either positioned as an enthusiast vehcile by Mahindra already or it is going to be able double up as your everyday vehicle. That means it is going to get creature comforts that you do not get today and probably not expecting. And I strongly suspect Mahindra surprising us even if by providing variants and factory / dealer level customisations.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 10th May 2020 at 23:56.
Old 11th May 2020, 00:06   #732
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Any prices in Creta / Seltos variants territory means this is either positioned as an enthusiast vehcile by Mahindra already or it is going to be able double up as your everyday vehicle. That means it is going to get creature comforts that you do not get today and probably not expecting. And I strongly suspect Mahindra surprising us even if by providing variants and factory / dealer level customisations.

I'm sorry but I see ZERO overlap in the buyer of a 2 door Ladder on Frame lifestyle off-roader with lockable differentials and a proper 4x4, and a monocoque crossover.

If you would have said Scorpio, maybe you would have had a point, but even that would be stretching things a little.
The competition for the Seltos is the XUV300 and the XUV 500.

The only creature comforts people should realistically hope for are front facing seats, and a factory built hard top.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 01:03   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I would love to see it around 14L on road for the top variant. Only if wishes were horses.
Reality check -

A top-end Nexon diesel costs 15.18 lakhs in Bangalore, with no 4*4, a 1.5 diesel and the tax concessions it brings and the monocoque platform.

Most of us wanted the Thar to retain the ruggedness of the old offroader with the features of new cars - and that's surely going to get expensive.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 10:39   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

The current climate is not one where even 4X4 enthusiasts would shell out exorbitant amounts for a new vehicle. If you want to be really serious about off-roading, you will likely suffer a fair share of dents and scrapes on the vehicle and would not want a brand new and expensive vehicle to suffer this. If you are thinking light off-roading and a good feature set to enjoy for the rest of the time, there are enough other choices including the Hexa 4X4, the Jeep Compass 4x4 etc. So the sweet spot is someone who wants to get into off-roading or imagines he/she will go to Leh etc. This person is probably ready to buy a Nexon or Ecosport, since the use will be predominantly as a daily driver, but tempted to tip over to the Thar since the heart won over the head and it feels good to have a proper 4x4. So the car has to be comfortable enough to be a daily driver and be priced reasonably.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 14:04   #735
BANNED

Going by the comments on this model, it appears M&M will be better of keeping the Thar as it is with just minor cosmetic changes so that neither side is disappointed much.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks