Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2020, 10:22   #766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
It's all over the news, many auto portals are reporting the same and quoting the thread.

It may be on twitter as well, although I haven't checked.

So M&M should be aware and rein it in.
Edit: Its indeed on twitter as well. Someone tweeted it to @anandmahindra directly. Gaadiwala also published it on their website.
Old 7th June 2020, 11:01   #767
BANNED

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Mahindra informs it's dealers that a new thar is coming.
Dealer instructs his salesmen to do an interest check, so that he can decide how much inventory to back order.
The salesman, being the tasteless idiot that he is (look at how much chrome every single salesman puts on their car), Googles "new thar modified", finds the blingest, most in your face, tasteless, ugly vehicle he can find. He then shows it off to the prospective customers, because a customer will not express interest without looking at a car pic.

Don't really see how or why is M&M to blame
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:02   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
It's all over the news, many auto portals are reporting the same and quoting the thread.
None of the major news channels. Only clickbait 3rd grade website.
Old 7th June 2020, 12:54   #769
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Besides, some of the spy pictures have been showing an automatic version.
I have only seen the rumours, but never noticed the automatic transmission in the spy pics. So took a closer look after reading your post.

And you're right indeed! Looks like there is an automatic 4*4 on test since last year.

Which GB could be used here? One likely candidate is a 6 speed automatic provided by Punch Powerglide - already used in the Roxor.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-22.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharinteriorsseatsdashboardspied1.jpg
Pic source - Motorbeam.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th June 2020 at 13:01.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 21:16   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which GB could be used here? One likely candidate is a 6 speed automatic provided by Punch Powerglide - already used in the Roxor.
Since the 2020 Thar shares the chasis/power train with the next Gen Scorpio, I suspect it will be the AISIN Unit which seems to be the one used by Mahindra in India. Plus AISIN is the same supplier to Toyota/Isuzu etc.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th June 2020 at 07:42. Reason: Corrected typo -> AISIN
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 21:25   #771
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I dont know whats the big deal about keeping the Thar configurations such a secret. Its not like 4wd SUVs are a thriving market, where competitors will be sniffing hard at the Mahindra stable while recalibrating their strategies.its also not like Mahindra will suddenly capture the conpact/mid size SUV segment with the Thar 2020. I would actually whet the appetite of the budding enthusiast 4wd community with teasers galore.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 21:26   #772
Senior - BHPian

An Automatic Torque Converter 6 Speed Thar with lot of creature comforts and good on road characteristics will make many of us who wanted to get into the Automatic diesel SUV territory consider it as an option.

I mean it would be stress free while going to work because of the Automatic 6 speed which also will give it long legs, diesel would give it good mileage in that category, it would be amazing to go for a family outing in and the rear occasion we want to explore un-chartered territories, the 4X4 is there.

With no diesels coming out of Maruti, this looks like something I would pick over the the Jimny when the buying mood rekindles again.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 02:59   #773
Senior - BHPian

I am eagerly looking forward to this launch and i pray that Mahindra will price this product sensibly, offer a well put together base model with basic amenities like a/c, power windows/locks and a decent sounding radio, forget the unnecessary bells and whistles and rubbish touch screen etc. and you got me as a customer. I admit i drive an Altis with touchscreen/navigation that i never use, else i would not be typing this post. I'm just a car enthusiast and i like driving. Cheers! The engine of course has to be good and i'm willing to pay for that.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 08:05   #774
BHPian

Actually, come to think of it. The automatic could actually be the rumoured 1.5 turbo petrol version. It's easier for Mahindra to launch it in the Thar and iron out any niggling issues that might crop up, before launching the engine in their models with larger sales numbers. Also, they've likely got one eye on exports and hence the petrol automatic option too.
Again this is all obviously conjecture.
Old 8th June 2020, 08:35   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Frankly I dont know whats the big deal about keeping the Thar configurations such a secret.
I agree with you that the competition is not dying to see what a Thar is inside. However, when there is a new product launch, it is important to generate a marketing hype. The camo is because of that. Manufacturer's even do this for a minor mid cycle refresh like revised head lamps/ tail lamps etc. They need some hype at launch. If all of us knew what the finished product looked like, the launch wouldn't be that much fun. Look at it this way, because of all the spy picture and teasers, we are all salivating and waiting all these months to see a proper picture . If a proper picture and specs where out, many of us won't even be coming back to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
An Automatic Torque Converter 6 Speed Thar with lot of creature comforts and good on road characteristics will make many of us who wanted to get into the Automatic diesel SUV territory consider it as an option.
The current generation Thar is purely a compromise vehicle. It is at best a 2nd recreational vehicle. With the new Thar Mahindra is hoping to appeal to a wider market where it is possible for a young couple to have this as their only vehicle, since it will come with all the refinement, creature comforts, decent power train etc, etc. I feel that this 2020 model will have greater market acceptance than the previous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I am eagerly looking forward to this launch and i pray that Mahindra will price this product sensibly, offer a well put together base model with basic amenities
From the spy pictures, it appears that the interiors of the 2020 Thar will be way more modern than the current generation Thar. But I don't think this will be cheap. Mahindra will definitely milk the fact that they don't have any competition in this space. Maruti keeps dilly dallying about the Jimney, which I don't understand because the power train is already made in India. Besides they have excess manufacturing capacity in India and shortage in Japan. They can easily make India the hub for RHD Jimney's and export it, like Jeep has done with the compass. But it is difficult for a management that has spent their career selling mas market small cars to see the potential for a halo model even in small numbers. Frankly I really don't have any hopes for the Jimny launch. The BS6 Gurkha is still severely under-powered with an 85 bhp engine. So, the 2020 Thar is the way to go if one wants a short wheel base, recreational off-roader than can be used as a daily drive too !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Actually, come to think of it. The automatic could actually be the rumoured 1.5 turbo petrol version. It's easier for Mahindra to launch it in the Thar and iron out any niggling issues that might crop up, before launching the engine in their models with larger sales numbers. Also, they've likely got one eye on exports and hence the petrol automatic option too.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:10   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feared Mahindra would mess things up. Turbo petrols? I hope it's not 3-cylinder one. What next? DCT? Turbo-pterol and DCTs are for high-revving sporty hatchbacks. Not 2-ton mud-crawling SUVs. They need big displacement engines and a proper torque converter automatic. No DCT, CVT or AMT. Mahindra, please do a study of giant American SUVs and their power-trains and transmissions. I hope we get Aisin TC box, as reported above.

Like everyone else here, I am waiting eagerly, too, for its launch. Cars may come and cars may go but Jeep is forever. A jeep with 2 inch lift kit and 33 inch MT tyres would steal more glances from passersby than even a 2-crore car. This is one car you will drive fearlessly through the urban jungle AND the jungle jungle. A 3-door body with short length would be perfect size for city traffic and parking spots. And that raised seating, wheel at the back and squarish looks are to die for. Coupled with cheap and cheerful Mahindra maintenance and ease of service, this car is a no-brainer. This is one car that would never go out of style.

And, lastly, I wonder if Thar can do to Wrangler what Enfield did to Harley. Thar is even lesser a fraction of Wrangler's price than Enfield is of Harley.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:39   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I feared Mahindra would mess things up. Turbo petrols? I hope it's not 3-cylinder one.

Mahindra, please do a study of giant American SUVs and their power-trains and transmissions. I hope we get Aisin TC box, as reported above.
As far as the Americans go - Jeep Wranger Rubicon on sale in India has a 2.0 Turbo petrol with 268hp and 400Nm of torque @3000rpm.

There are two rumours surrounding a petrol option for Thar - that it could be the 1.5 or the 2.0 mStallion TGDi petrol motors. The 2.0 is said to produce 190hp and 380Nm of torque - the torque figures coming right near to the figures of that Wrangler! Major publications like ACI go with this speculation - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-launch-417211.

The 1.5 is an option speculated by others simply because the 2.0 sounds just too good to be true - given the prices Thar would compete in. And because even that engine is supposed to produce a respectable 163hp and 280Nm of torque - figures higher than the Jeep Compass petrol option.

Either ways - most people will just prefer the 2.2 MHawk diesel!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th June 2020 at 14:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:02   #778
Senior - BHPian

I simply cant imagine a 1.5 turbo 3-cylinder petrol doing a good job of taking the Thar through the real-world , dirt, slush, hill and rock grind. Unless the Thar is Gypsy sized, which it is obviously isn't. So if Mahindra just wants to tick the boxes, they may offer a 2wd petrol version which may be utterly useless for the purpose. I would hope it is at least the 2.0 petrol version.
Old 9th June 2020, 06:55   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted earlier, but that set of power window buttons seems to have 4 buttons. It would indicate that there are rear windows and the hard top version has a permanent hard top. This is all speculative, of course.
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 08:43   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The 1.5 is an option speculated by others simply because the 2.0 sounds just too good to be true

Either ways - most people will just prefer the 2.2 MHawk diesel!
At this point, we can only guess. But, in my opinion, it will not be the 3 pot 1.5 petrol mill for a number of reasons which I will state below.

1) The 2020 Thar and the 2021 Scorpio same the same foundations. Hence, it may not be cost effective to plan a different engine/transmission combo for a low volume model. Remember that unlike an individual jugaad set up a manufacture needs to spend crores on testing/validation of vehicles. So, for a few 100 petrol models they will sell, I sincerely doubt Mahindra would invest in putting a 1.5 GDI petrol only for the Thar.

2) As you said, most will prefer the 2.2 or 2.0 diesel. The Petrol Thar must be planned predominantly for exports and offering the same in India. For exports, they will definitely go with a 2.0 GDI and not the 1.5.

3) Since those who buy a petrol Thar will be someone who can afford to run petrol and want the performance, why would they even bother to buy a 1.5 liter 3 pot GDI engine.

Somehow, I feel that the Thar will come with the 2.0 GDI. Frankly now with the efficiency of the new generation direct injection petrol engines, I would go with the 2.0 petrol and hopefully 6-Speed Automatic combo. The diesel will probably give you about 2 KMPL more on average, but if you look at the overall cost of maintenance and the fact that eventually Govt of India will do away with diesel subsidies, I feel Direct Injection Turbo Petrol's are the way to go. They give you the high revving fun factor of a petrol and the turbo gives you the low end grunt of a diesel. The bi-turbo 2.0 liter petrol in the BMW gives you peak torque from 1400 rpm without the typical lag of diesel. What more can you ask for in an engine ?

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been posted earlier, but that set of power window buttons seems to have 4 buttons.
These are lifted of the Scorpio as they share many things. In subsequent pictures the extra two buttons have been deleted. The hard top is after market fiber unit and there is no place to roll down the glass. It will be a sliding glass.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks