Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 18:43   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

NDTV Auto has posted their review of the Compass and it seems like they have come away very, very impressed.

Quote:
The Jeep Compass is powered by a 2-litre 4-cylinder turbo diesel engine that makes 171 bhp and 350 Nm of torque. As of now, it is only available with a 6-speed manual gearbox. Our verdict on this engine is simple - it is a HOOT to drive! The Multijet family has been known for some of the nicest and most responsive diesel motors in the world (and in India) and the new 2-litre is no different. There might be a slight lag of power till about 1500 rpm but once the turbos spool up, the Compass quickly points in the right direction - forward! Power delivery is very linear and you can really go through the gears shifting quickly while keeping the turbos spooled up to give you a big wallop of torque.
Throttle response is great and so is the clutch feel. It might have just a hint of heaviness but that is expected of a clutch that is designed to handle 350 Nm of peak torque. The gearshift itself could have been much crisper as we did find it just a tad bit too rubbery but the best part is the actual gear knob itself.
We usually expect American cars to be comfortable and soft at the expense of being not so good in the corners. And that is exactly what I thought the Jeep Compass would be all about too. But boy was I in for a shocker! The Compass is very well sprung and comfortable and yes, it will go through a set of potholes like nothing happened and ride quality is great too - but it also handles exceptionally well. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say that the Compass has one of the most balanced chassis I have seen in an SUV for a long time.
But my favourite part about the Compass is not the power delivery, or the looks, or the interiors or the great ride quality, My favourite would be the way the steering system is set up. The Compass may have electric power steering but whatever pixie dust Jeep has used to weigh it up is worthy of genuine applause. The turning feedback is precise and the Compass changes directions like one of the German sports SUVs, and that, is high praise indeed.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassreview_827x510_51497264401.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassreview_827x510_51497264749.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassreview_827x510_71497264473.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassreview_827x510_71497264570.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassreview_827x510_61497264450.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 18:46   #347
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Attachment 1647608

225/60 R17 Firestone tyes.

Source- https://t.co/tqpWf797rg

NDTV - First drive report -

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/jeep-c...review-1711127
Do you consider the rear to be a little Evoque-ish which knocks off some headroom in favour of aesthetics?
Do you also consider that the White Leather seats might get somewhat soiled in our Indian conditions and usage by drivers and mechanics and the like?
Old 12th June 2017, 18:47   #348
BHPian

There is a thin line difference between price being competitive and priced sensibly. With people talking about Jeep to price Compass in the range of Creta (which is a SUV SIZED vehicle but yes from a trusted manufacturer, Hyundai) that would be a blunder.

Certainly Jeep having that Fiat parentage has many pullers in the initial go but we should respect the technology and quality which they wish to offer at a price lesser than their competition and this is what is needed to make a kill and astonish Indians, what money can buy and its value.
Old 12th June 2017, 18:53   #349
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Funny to read comments like Jeep shouldn't price the Compass low! Really, what is Jeep competing with , BMW? I thought Jeep is into business of selling SUV's and don't have any news they have ditched that plan and have entered into some sort of posing and is considering selling vehicles in India just to show their manufacturing ability. They better price it competent enough, the Indian consumer can be brutal, the early sales figures of S-cross is evidence for the mighty Maruti's debacle.
Given what the Jeep offers, I think it deserves to be priced higher than the Creta and similar, considering what they offer. If they do surprise us and offer like for like at a similar price as Creta, then no prizes for guessing which is of better value.
If the Indian consumer can digest Hyundai's pricing of the Creta and Honda's pricing of their 2017 City, then Im quite sure that the Jeep top spec, at Rs 30-32 lacs on road, will find its takers.
I also felt deeply wounded when Jeep brought its Unlimited Wrangler at 71.6 for the petrol and 91.6 for the Diesel. I was very upset that a vehicle which ought to cost around 30 lacs max, was priced this way. Indeed, the Jeep showroom chap in Dubai was stunned to hear this pricing and said jokingly that he should relocate to India in order to achieve his financial number targets!
Saying this, while the Indian consumer can be and indeed IS brutal when it comes to his demands on value, I do believe that even the said Indian consumer will be pleased with what he gets from the Compass. The price sensitive ones will go for the lower variants and the more well off enthusiasts who like capable, niche products will probably buy the top spec.
I wonder just for fun though, what ARE the present monthly sales numbers of the Wrangler across variants...
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 18:57   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Do you consider the rear to be a little Evoque-ish which knocks off some headroom in favour of aesthetics?
Yet to see the vehicle in person, but the rear falls sharp down post the D pillar only, unlike the gradual slope in the Evoque. Hope headroom is not affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Do you also consider that the White Leather seats might get somewhat soiled in our Indian conditions and usage by drivers and mechanics and the like?
Not very much. I've been lucky enough to visit many detailing centers in Bangalore over the last three years and feel it should be easy job for them to maintain it, even if the service guys mess up.

Those dummy buttons are a bigger worry for me. Quite an eyesore!
Old 12th June 2017, 19:03   #351
BANNED

Quote:
Yet to see the vehicle in person, but the rear falls sharp down post the D pillar only, unlike the gradual slope in the Evoque. Hope headroom is not affected.

Not very much. I've been lucky enough to visit many detailing centers in Bangalore over the last three years and feel it should be easy job for them to maintain it, even if the service guys mess up.

Those dummy buttons are a bigger worry for me. Quite an eyesore!

Headroom in the rear is important. Consider the Ciaz. I bang my head whenever that thing goes over a speed breaker!

Dummy buttons - yes, I don't like that at all. Why don't they just offer the specced up version as an option for those who may be interested and/ or can afford it? Even if it is made to order, with a reasonable waiting period, there will be a few takers. Like that Hyundai Old Gen I20 AT which had all 4 Discs and some 8 Airbags...

I ll consult with you then to try and refresh my leather seats. They've darkened a bit with age and my fat rear end sitting on them even though Ive barely crossed 40K kms. I would like to try to restore them to 'as good as new" if poss.
Old 12th June 2017, 20:08   #352
BHPian

I would like to point this out to all who think that jeep would be priced in Tiguan or Tucson territory - you missed out on an important aspect of their pricing - import duties!!!!

World over compass might be competing with them - but in india it has a major price advantage - locally source parts!!! Making it substantially cheaper (with the crazy import duties not being applicable) - and that is why I still feel it would be at just a slight premium of maybe 10% over the creta.

With Jeep targeting roughly about 2k sales every month with their wafer thin dealer network - they definitely can not achieve those numbers if they launch the base model more than 10% more expensive than the segment best seller - Creta. Making it dead on arrival just like it happened with the rest of the jeep family.

Some niceties like the sunroof and cruise control might be missing from the car - but to be honest in all the cars that I've had which had these 2 features - never used them after the initial month and as the novelty wore off.

If jeep is unable to give an automatic variant with the diesel - it might be a deal breaker for some - but then if it is priced sensibly - I'm sure there would still be many takers for a manual diesel top end variant without the sunroof or cruise control.

If priced the way I'm expecting - Jeep will have a bigger success than duster for sure and maybe even make hyundai consider their value preposition with the creta!!

Disclaimer - these are my views. Not intended to ridicule anyone.
samyakmodi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 20:29   #353
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I would like to point this out to all who think that jeep would be priced in Tiguan or Tucson territory - you missed out on an important aspect of their pricing - import duties!!!!
=================
If priced the way I'm expecting - Jeep will have a bigger success than duster for sure and maybe even make hyundai consider their value preposition with the creta!!

Disclaimer - these are my views. Not intended to ridicule anyone.
A very good point of view and something that I completely forgot to consider - the Made in India and Zero Import Duties aspect. Well pointed out indeed!

Now it makes a lot more sense if it is indeed priced like a Creta and Yes! It will change the game totally for Jeep.

The only point of concern left now is the servicing and spares availability.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th June 2017 at 14:18. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 20:33   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

225/60 R17 Firestone tyes.
Thats the first thing i would change if i buy Compass. They look so small for the car. They need broader and bigger tyres.
Old 12th June 2017, 20:37   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post

Up till the Tiguan there was no car which would fit both criterias except the Q3 and X1 in the luxury segment. Though seeing how Tiguain was priced, it really took it out of my contention since I would rather just get the X1. Compass would be a similar size vehicle with a much cheaper price.

Not sure the Compass will be priced significantly different from the Tiguan. The price range for the Compass being called out is between 18 and 25 Lacs. Remember that there are a slew of variants and the relevant one to compare will be the top end Limited plus 4X4 Diesel which is estimated to be priced at the top of this scale, i. e., 25 Lacs ex showroom.

Now this model does not come with an AT, whereas the Tiguan comes with a sophisticated DSG 7 speed Auto that can drive all four wheels.

Now again, the Compass top end can only be compared with the Tiguan Comfortline and not Highline. Why? The Tiguan is really feature packed in both variants and the highline will have panoramic sunroof, full LED lights, Smart foot sensor operated tailgate etc that Compass will not come with. Even the Tiguan Comfortline is higher in terms of specs over the Compass, for example full LED headlights.

Also consider the Tiguan Comfortline is at around 28 Lacs ex showroom pre GST and will be close to 26 Lacs post GST. For the auto transmission and enhanced features that are worth at least 3-4 Lacs worth, it will be priced in effect only a lack over the top end Jeep Compass. Unless the Jeep is priced at or below 22-23 Lacs for the top end Diesel I think Tiguan Comfortline is better value.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 20:40   #356
BHPian

The Top Gear review is also available online and they also seem to be impressed though they have given a rating of 7/10.
Old 12th June 2017, 21:12   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I would like to point this out to all who think that jeepI still feel it would be at just a slight premium of maybe 10% over the creta.
For which variant? 4*2? 4*4? Base variants or top?

Creta and Compass both has a wide range of variants available and hence each person will read this statement in their own way.
Old 12th June 2017, 21:22   #358
Senior - BHPian

Jeep India is trying every way to get attention for Compass. Fox life would be airing 'Great Escape' featuring Kunal Kapoor & Cyrus Sahukar from friday, 23rd June and they would be driving Jeep Cherokee SRT.
Old 12th June 2017, 21:46   #359
BHPian

Rushlane says that made in India Compass that is going to be launched in europe with 1.6 & 2.0 diesel. I am wondering why 1.6 is not being considered for India ? They could offer it in a more competetive price and 2.0 could be reservered for top end 4*4 version
Quote:
The diesel engines include a 1.6 liter and 2.0 liter MultiJet, with the former capable of 120 hp power and 320 Nm torque mated to a 6 speed manual transmission and the latter capable of 140 hp power and 350 Nm torque mated to a 9 speed automatic gearbox and all wheel drive.
Link
Old 12th June 2017, 21:56   #360
Team-BHP Support

Some more noteworthy pictures from Twitteratti -

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170612_215801.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170612_215936.jpg
Source

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-compass-fd5.jpg
Source

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170612_220558.jpg
Source

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170612_220607.jpg
Source

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170612_221218.jpg
Source

Lol! Someone at Jeep knows fun!
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170612_220536.jpg
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
Rushlane says that made in India Compass that is going to be launched in europe with 1.6 & 2.0 diesel. I am wondering why 1.6 is not being considered for India ?
1.6 has not been localized for India. Might be offered at a later stage if that happens.

2.0 however is made in India, thanks to good demand by TATA as well for its upcoming range of SUVs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th June 2017 at 22:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks