Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2017, 17:47   #451
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Instead of hiding these volume control and mute buttons behind the steering wheel, Jeep could have used the dummy buttons wisely.

Success will need a lot more than pricing. A good product may get them going, but killing the market solely depends on how fast they can get up on their feet with MOPAR.
On account of their export plans, they must have left these buttons as dummies for India since we are so price sensitive. So changing over the volume and mute buttons may not have been an option.

Yes, their After sales service and parts availability + quality of the said service are going to be the defining factors of their success in India.
Given the pricing rumours, it looks like the vehicle is likely going to be a runaway hit. So their service has to back up the lovely car package for sure!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 19:03   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If they can get the base variant at a reasonable premium above the SCross 1.6 - a new budget torque king will be born. Funny - with all the focus on Creta, even I didnt see it could be a driver's choice, specially the base budget variants. I'll be happier to get a base Compass over the top end SCross 1.6 for a premium of about 2-3L.

PS - Assumptions based on reviews that it will ride/handle as good or better than SCross 1.6. But need to wait for Team-bhp review.
These are my exact thoughts for waiting for the Jeep Compass launch. S-Cross is a well built vehicle but nothing in comparison of Creta or Hexa both in fit and finish & engine power.

If for a premium of 3-4 lac we could get a Jeep Compass, then nothing like it. This is with the hope that they equip the base variant keeping its brand & positioning in mind.

A 15 lac launch would make it around 18-19 lac range & something my dad, the primary user, would agree to.

Last edited by appu.bhandari : 15th June 2017 at 19:06.
Old 15th June 2017, 19:37   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
These are my exact thoughts for waiting for the Jeep Compass launch. S-Cross is a well built vehicle but nothing in comparison of Creta or Hexa both in fit and finish & engine power.

If for a premium of 3-4 lac we could get a Jeep Compass, then nothing like it. This is with the hope that they equip the base variant keeping its brand & positioning in mind.

A 15 lac launch would make it around 18-19 lac range & something my dad, the primary user, would agree to.

It is probably going to be launched at 18 L ex showroom for the base variant.

Regards
Bharath
Old 16th June 2017, 00:18   #454
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
It is probably going to be launched at 18 L ex showroom for the base variant.

Regards
Bharath

If it does I have very little doubts on it tanking to a meagre numbers of 200 odd vehicles a month.

I sincerely hope Jeep doesn't commit this mistake
Old 16th June 2017, 00:35   #455
BHPian

The earlier predictions were 16 lakhs for the base variant. Now, it has gone up to 18 lakhs. Even though many Indians call SUV's as Jeep, there are not many die-hard fans of Jeep brand. The reason could be lack of presence for a long gap in India.

So, Compass has to ride on Price, Quality and later on after sales service to win over the average Indian. If priced right, Compass could revive the brand Jeep once again.

I guess, most of the potential 1.6 S-Cross buyers are waiting for the pricing of Compass, apart from the GST roll out.

Last edited by jaaz : 16th June 2017 at 00:36.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 05:17   #456
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
S-Cross is a well built vehicle but nothing in comparison of Creta or Hexa both in fit and finish & engine power.

I dont know why you made the statement above on S Cross. Perhaps you havent driven the 1.6.
If you drive that you'll see the difference!

I think the 15 lac launch is a bit of a pipe dream in reference to the Jeep Compass.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 08:10   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Certain missing niceties (diesel AT, sunroof, auto headlamps/wipers, LED headlamps, front parking sensors, smaller infotainment screen, cruise control, sophisticated MID, 3 zone climate control)
From the video reviews, it can be seen that there are no electrically powered seats even for the driver, and no headlamp washers for the projectors. The product as a car is solid enough. Leave the base version, but even the top end diesel is not as well equipped as one would expect in a premium offering (they have got safety aspects covered ). In the value conscious Indian market, can Jeep afford to price it too high without making prospective customers feel short-changed, especially with the volumes they're targeting? Maybe I'm finding more reasons to be optimistic about the pricing

Last edited by GKR9900 : 16th June 2017 at 08:14.
GKR9900 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 08:27   #458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Leave the base version, but even the top end diesel is not as well equipped as one would expect in a premium offering (they have got safety aspects covered). In the value conscious Indian market, can Jeep afford to price it too high without making prospective customers feel short-changed, especially with the volumes they're targeting?
I think they have equipped it to be functional enough. Surely not loaded like what you expect from a premium offering. And I guess there in lies the salvation to pricing. A solidly engineered product sufficiently equipped and priced below the premium radar should turn out to be a good strategy. But not taking care of dummy buttons is some thing which can turn out to be a sore reminder every time one gets into the car. At least they should cover-up such aspects.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 08:41   #459
BHPian

A few thoughts from reviews online:

> I thought the electric hand brake that can be disengaged only when the driver is strapped on was a very nice feature. This should come to all 20lakh + vehicles
> New multiJet is huge and I hear it is very good
> Dash: Deju Vu. contours from Linea
> Missing from steering: Cruise control options on the right has been replaced by dummy spaces
> MID settings and toggle buttons behind the steering is a hit or miss. They, I believe, require some amount of 'teeth biting pressure' to operate
> No Sat-Navigation
> In my opinion, there may be significant body roll
> Center of gravity could've been better. Again, like the V-Cross; this can be resolved with a full house travel

Please find below the complete steering wheel options.
Attached Images

Last edited by Boomerang : 16th June 2017 at 08:44. Reason: Grammar
Boomerang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 08:46   #460
BHPian

Probably the higher priced Trailhawk version could get the missing features
Old 16th June 2017, 09:17   #461
BHPian

A few observations

The 2.0L diesel engine should be localized since Tata will be using the same engine for their upcoming Q501 [expected 2018 end or 2019]
Also when the Compass must have been planned, local Diesel engine requirement must have been set especially since they shall also be exporting from India [imports will only lead to higher price]

The 1.4 Multi-Air Petrol FCA may have decided to upgrade the localized T-JET [1.4] from a Turbo to Turbo-GDI.

The 7 speed DCT & 9 AT may still be imported

IMHO the sales for Compass are not expected to avg. more than 1000 units / month, primarily due to the low service network

Considering the base model (which barely sells in any car) we can look at a competitive pricing of 15.99 lac ex-showroom Delhi

I'm sure the Tucson pricing has set an example to FCA & that they will cautiously price their model
Old 16th June 2017, 09:36   #462
Team-BHP Support

NDTV CarAndBike show has uploaded their initial impressions.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 09:58   #463
BHPian

Some good info from Automotive India

It clearly mentions that the ground clearance at 178mm (which we thought was low for a Jeep) is actually with the laden weight which is the new norm for calculating the ground clearance.

reddevilgautam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 11:34   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Lastly, why is the Ground clearance just 178 mm?
What is the point of 4x4 with such a paltry GC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
Don't think the GC of 178 mm is true......It is mentioned as 221 mm in many of the auto websites during the India launch....
Guess this answers all queries on the GC. 178mm for laden weight is very much respectable.

For example, the known figures as per the new rule -
New Fortuner - 184mm
Tiguan - 149mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
It clearly mentions that the ground clearance at 178mm (which we thought was low for a Jeep) is actually with the laden weight which is the new norm for calculating the ground clearance.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th June 2017 at 11:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 11:50   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass UK review ( 9 Speed auto variant) - not impressive enough!

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:
The Jeep Compass also not helped by the slow nine-speed automatic gearbox. It’s not too bad at deciding which gear to be in, but changes are really noticeable. At any speed it seems to drop into gear with a thud. The transmission also feels set-up for off-roading rather than town driving, as it holds on to first and second gear a bit longer than you expect it to.

That’s not great when the engine is as coarse as the 2.0-litre diesel in our test car. It’s got 380Nm of torque and 168bhp, so there’s plenty of power, but rev it even a little and there’s a very unpleasant diesel rattle. It’s rougher and noisier than pretty much all of its diesel rivals.
link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks