Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2019, 11:13   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

It would still make a nice compact offroad capable touring car(i hope the suspension issues are sorted), the size of the vehicle matters, many find large UVs to be a headache to drive and own, therefore the popularity of car-like compact SUVs.

So we will certainly find someone to buy this, the compass is anyways expensive but it has the looks of a larger vehicle from the front, much like the Merc GLA, there are those who like this and will pay the premium as well. Considering we have some less attractive versions of 4wd minis roaming around, this one seems VFM. (until you realize how much you paid for a Fiat)

The other day a friend of mine was looking at the compass and said, look at the size of that tire, its massive. I told him later that It was a grand cherokee! It was a laugh!
Old 29th June 2019, 11:17   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have no experience of off-roading but just want to ask the experienced members here who are well versed with off-roading. Isn't having a Manual transmission more fun while off-roading instead of an Auto transmission?
We develop these kinds of beliefs because our exposure is limited by our experiences.

About 10 years ago, all Indian offroaders had these beliefs about stock vehicle offroading:
1) MM540/550/340 and Maruti Gypsy are the best offroaders.
2) Offroad vehicles must be MT for superior control.
3) Offroad vehicles must be totally manual without any electronics gimmicks.
4) Seatbelt is dangerous because it will not let us jump out in case of rollover.
5) Luxury SUVs are good only for mall-crawling.

Over the decade, these myths have been busted as the exposure has drastically changed. As for myself, I believed all the above except point 4. Now I believe none of the above. Some still believe in couple of points, which will go away once they experience more. But I agree that totally mechanical offroaders are most fun in offroad trails, as long as you are with friends and other vehicles that can rescue you. But if you just want to drive through the trail without getting stuck, then totally automatic offroaders will do it without a sweat, very boring too. Let's not talk about RFC because that is not done using stock vehicles.

In a reasonably difficult trail, a novice offroad driver with modern offroader (AT+TCS) will perform better than an expert offroad driver in a mechanical offroader. It is like playing Chess with a computer at highest difficulty level. Computer will win every time.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th June 2019 at 11:26.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 11:33   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We develop these kinds of beliefs because our exposure is limited by our experiences.
I guess you are right - the world has moved on and so should some of us Electronics rule the roost, sensor failures leaving people stranded in the middle of nowhere notwithstanding. At the end of the day, nothing is absolute i.e. to each, his own.

Now two questions:

a. When is the official TBHP review of the Trailhawk making its appearance?

b. When are you buying the Trailhawk?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 12:03   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
a. When is the official TBHP review of the Trailhawk making its appearance?
When it is ready. We have a very long process.

Quote:
b. When are you buying the Trailhawk?
Even if I am interested, it is not a practical buy for me since the nearest dealership/a.s.s is 300kms away in Mysore or Hubli.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th June 2019 at 12:10.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 12:29   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even if I am interested, it is not a practical buy for me since the nearest dealership/a.s.s is 300kms away in Mysore or Hubli.
This Jeep brand being one car wonder is a worry as well. You never know when things would fizz out.
Old 29th June 2019, 13:03   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to divert from the topic but BODA events too are full of Jeeps and Gypsy's , what has changed in ten years probably is a separate SUV trail in offroad events that can accommodate the more modern vehicles.

The sound of dry twigs and grass rubbing against the paintjob is enough to back off and save the trail rated badge and the mirror, bumper etc.

Thats a lot of carefully made equipment to be sent down an offroad trail, comfortable overland touring, yes it will beat any Jeep (category) , offroad adventures are best left to more simple set of machines.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 13:17   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaker View Post
Though the pricing is a definitely a bit steep, I think there are very less options when it comes to offering a true go-anywhere SUV at that price point. On-road Mumbai prices for the trail hawk would be near the 32 lac mark whereas the Endeavour is somewhere near 41 lacs for the 4X4 variant. 9 lacs is still a lot of money if someone does not necessarily want a 7 seat behemoth.
What about the Duster AWD? It has a reliable, powerful diesel engine, the AWD system is pretty capable, it has better ride quality, and it only costs half as much. Also Renault service experience, in my opinion, is better than Jeep.
Old 1st July 2019, 16:11   #323
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk. EDIT: Launched @ 26.8 lakhs

Just completed my first drive on the Trailhawk. Did about 35 kms on the NICE road.

Boy oh boy, I waited for 3 years for this. Totally disappointed with the gear box.

It takes ages to downshift and almost puts you to sleep.

It starts in 2nd and it takes a good lot of time to get moving. Tried pedal to the metal, tried a slow and smooth start off, nothing helps. Only the Rev counter shoots past 3k rpm but there is no corresponding increase in speed.

This box is very eager to upshift and goes to 9th in no time and is pretty smooth and not jerky, that is when the problem starts, it stays in 9th and and it takes ages to down shift.

It likes to lug itself in 9th, for example there was a small incline( I am talking probably 8-10 degrees) and was doing around 80 kmph and felt the speed drop, pushed the pedal and there was no downshift, this gear box decided to try and lug it around in the 9th gear. The car behind me was onto me in a flash and started honking away. I even tried modulating the throttle to ride the torque but this box just kills the torque.

Even the manual mode in the Trailhawk behaves the same, downshift and hit the accelerator, you only have the revs go up and after a few seconds will you start to notice the speed begin to increase.

All the enthusiasm of the engine in the manual transmission is totally lost on this ZF.

The engine is quieter, suspension is super good and it handles extremely well.

The car accelerated well once it has overcome the initial lag. Probably 60 to 100 kmph looked like the best acceleration band.

Once you are at good highway speeds it is charm to drive until you hit the brakes and the gearbox fails to respond quickly and the right gear. I guess I will have more fun driving my I10 Grand automatic around.

There is only a single speed warning beep at 120 kmph and it is not continuous. No beep at 80 kmph.

The Compass is best enjoyed in manual transmission. It is a real beast in that avatar.

Have to yet test this in city traffic, but I am sure you will not want to be standing in the first row of a traffic signal.

May be I am spoilt by the Merc 9 speed, but this is my two cents on the Trailhawk excursion. Looks like all of FCA's concentration was on the 1st gear, which I have yet to experience.

All of you who have bought the manual transmission, you guys have not missed a thing. Enjoy your rides and keep revving.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 1st July 2019 at 16:20.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 16:34   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Totally disappointed with the gear box.
It was expected. The transverse application intended 9 speed ZF focuses only on efficiency and low carbon emissions and not on shift speeds and quality. It should however deliver excellent fuel economy.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 1st July 2019 at 16:36.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 16:48   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Just completed my first drive on the Trailhawk. Totally disappointed with the gear box.
Oh God! That's some brutal assessment. I have been following this tread for some time now and this just brought my expectations down to rock bottom

Awaiting few more reviews on this one!
saurabh89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 18:19   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just completed my first drive on the Trailhawk. Did about 35 kms on the NICE road.

Boy oh boy, I waited for 3 years for this. Totally disappointed with the gear box..
Thanks for the detailed review on this much awaited gearbox.

Whenever a new vehicle with AT launches and the test drive reports start coming in, more often than not, my love and respect for the DSG goes up a level. What a brilliant gearbox the DSG is. Eager and fast. And in manual mode, it is telepathic - touch the paddle and it shifts! A mind reader really! Even the ZF8 in my 3 is smooth and eager - it's one torque converter that comes close to the DSG in terms of shift speeds. I would have expected the ZF9 to be just as fast and smooth, if not better.

What a lost opportunity for Jeep!

BTW, this ZF9 is also used in the new CR-V, IIRC. I would be curious to know if the same issues are seen on CR-V.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2019 at 18:58. Reason: Quote box content reduced
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 18:34   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just completed my first drive on the Trailhawk. Did about 35 kms on the NICE road
Was this a TD or you already bought one? If the latter, then please share some pics

BTW, all reviews of the Trailhawk I have seen so far have explicitly called out the "placid" nature of the gearbox but the downshift issue does seem concerning. Do try the ROCK MODE and let us know how the "low range" works

All in all, this seems more of a lazy cozy (read small) highway tourer more than anything else - city drives with that gearbox would be very interesting for sure.

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st July 2019 at 18:37.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 18:57   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Boy oh boy, I waited for 3 years for this. Totally disappointed with the gear box.
Ah, even I was curiously waiting for this feedback since I didn't get to drive it on highways. I drove it on twisting rural back roads and then offroad. The Mumbai team is supposed to do the highway runs for the official review.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 19:39   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Whenever a new vehicle with AT launches and the test drive reports start coming in, more often than not, my love and respect for the DSG goes up a level. What a brilliant gearbox the DSG is.

The DSG is miles ahead. The Tiguan and even the Tucson torque converter will run circles around the Jeep.

Quote:
Was this a TD or you already bought one? If the latter, then please share some pics

Had pre-booked. My hunt for a good diesel auto starts all over again. No way I am plonking 35 big ones on a car that is not suited to my spirited driving style. May decide to change my booking to a manual.
This gearbox just made the car feel so heavy and laborious. You definitely would not be darting into traffic gaps in city traffic.

Quote:
The Mumbai team is supposed to do the highway runs for the official review.

Now waiting for your off road and GTO and teams on road assessment of the Trailhawk.

Cheers.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 19:45   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This box is very eager to upshift and goes to 9th in no time and is pretty smooth and not jerky, that is when the problem starts, it stays in 9th and and it takes ages to down shift.

It likes to lug itself in 9th, for example there was a small incline( I am talking probably 8-10 degrees) and was doing around 80 kmph and felt the speed drop, pushed the pedal and there was no downshift, this gear box decided to try and lug it around in the 9th gear. The car behind me was onto me in a flash and started honking away. I even tried modulating the throttle to ride the torque but this box just kills the torque.
Known issue everywhere - that 9 speed is a lousy box - on Cherokee, Compass or Renegade. Didn’t see how it could be different in India.

It does better (relatively) on the off-road ‘modes’, but truly sucks on the road.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st July 2019 at 19:47.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks