Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:23   #1306
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Honestly, Power and Torque cannot be equated to the pricing of a vehicle. If this is what you mean by you statement.

The Tiguan is a further 7 lakhs OTR costlier than the Tucson for the same 140bhp that the Harrier would make.
Agreed. Another example. The CRV 2018... 120 BHP... 34 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
The information is from the Safari page which shares both the 2.2 & Varicor engine.

Tata Safari
The Engine you are referring to, Tata had some work done under consultancy from AVL. It is not an engine bought from or under license from them.

The Fiat 2 Litre engine is being BOUGHT from Fiat.

Logically the Fiat engine will cost TATA more, but I am glad they went for it.

Quote:
Yes but then what is, brand perception, ASS, customer satisfaction, fit and finish which I do not think Tata commands as much as Hyundai in any segment they compete in with similar products.
I agree with the above statement. Wholeheartedly.

However, please realize you were incorrect in the illogical statement of engine power vs price.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 2nd November 2018 at 18:46.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:49   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will disregard the rest as I do not see value in either example. If you honestly want to understand my perspective please do not see the last post in isolation else please skip the sarcasm.

OT. There was no sarcasm in my post. Probably past that age.

The manufacturer will price their products according to

The brand perception
The positioning either mass market or premium.
Equipment and features
Production capacity.
In relation to competitors pricing
Investments and amortisation of plant and machinery
Target customers etc.

Going back to your post on platform cost optimisation, yes it will be a point in considering the pricing but it will not drive it. For example the VW MQB platform is being used in around 10 cars right now, from the Polo to the Passat, it doesn't mean that VW will price the Passat at just a few lakhs more than the Polo even if the cost is already amortised.

Let's just get back to discussing the Harrier. I for one feel the pricing of 16-21 lakhs is spot on for this product.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:58   #1308
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I agree with the above statement. Wholeheartedly.

However, please realize you were incorrect in the illogical statement of engine power vs price.
You mentioned similarly sized specced so I did not delve into anything else but the power and torque too are factors in value and specs. I did not say they are the only one and wait the platform with torsional rigidity and noise insulation.
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:45   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not say they are the only one and wait the platform with torsional rigidity and noise insulation.
I have a rule with internet forum discussions. The moment opinion is stated against fact, its quite pointless to take the discussion further.

In the interest of this thread, I am ending this right now, specially because now you are comparing / noise insulation of a vehicle that no one has test driven as yet.

Quote:
Quote:
Let's just get back to discussing the Harrier. I for one feel the pricing of 16-21 lakhs is spot on for this product.
Agreed. I am putting off my purchase of a Hyundai Tuscon until this launch. I feel that the top end variant at 21 lacs might offer better value.
AbhiJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 00:06   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I have a rule with internet forum discussions. The moment opinion is stated against fact, its quite pointless to take the discussion further.

In the interest of this thread, I am ending this right now, specially because now you are comparing / noise insulation of a vehicle that no one has test driven as yet.
I did not compare noise insulation Tata did cite this as one of the two differentiators of the Omega Arc platform derived from Land Rover's D8 architecture and is the basis of the BornofPedigree tag.

I agree the discussion is pointless as you have your view on the pricing and so have I. I reiterate I am here to learn and discuss and I think that's not happening. Hope it ends with you buying a car that meets your needs.
Old 3rd November 2018, 02:17   #1311
BHPian

I'll again say; Tata Motors would not commit the same mistake that it had done with Aria. Secondly, leaking a higher price and then asking for a considerable lower price (by ₹2 to 3 lakhs) would result in higher conversion of bookings made so far. Remember< Jeep Compass did the same thing.

Take my words, TaMo intends to do double damage to both Creta segment (Nexon precedes that segment) and to Compass segment with 4x4 automatic offerings. Hence, ₹ 16 lakh starting point is just a marketing gimmick. Expect ex-showroom price near ₹13 lakhs to ₹18 lakhs initially. Only if Harrier wants to sell more, in India.

Last edited by kbishwa : 3rd November 2018 at 02:19. Reason: added words to clarify)
kbishwa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:23   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Take my words, TaMo intends to do double damage to both Creta segment (Nexon precedes that segment) and to Compass segment with 4x4 automatic offerings. Hence, ₹ 16 lakh starting point is just a marketing gimmick. Expect ex-showroom price near ₹13 lakhs to ₹18 lakhs initially. Only if Harrier wants to sell more, in India.

Tata has clearly announced that the On Road Prices will be between 16-21 lakhs approximately. We are not discussing ex showroom prices here. Or am I missing something?

Attachment 1814629
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 09:43   #1313
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hear from a fairly reliable source that the entire "pricing leak" was a big sham. It was a play by Tata & the media. The Harrier is actually going to be priced lower than that. Consider that the Creta (which is by itself overpriced) top-end retails at 18.4 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. A Tata product about 3 lakhs higher? Destined to sink. Tata still has very bad memories of the Aria and isn't inclined to repeat them. The birdie insists that the pricing was intentionally leaked to be higher than actual, so that when you see the real price, the perception is of VFM. And for the record, the prices have NOT been finalised even by Tata's top management.

That's also why the leaked prices made a reference to "onroad" pricing. "Onroad price" without sharing the city is as vague as things can get. E.g. a 10-lakh rupee car in Delhi can cost 12-lakhs in Bangalore.

Sharing two relevant posts from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with Fiat3031. A new car's pricing is as closely guarded as India's nuclear missile launch codes. Additionally, they are sometimes changed at the last minute due to external developments (e.g. stock market crash).

Sometimes, such price lists are intentionally leaked however. Reasons:

1. To gauge the market's reaction to the leaked prices & tweak them accordingly.

2. To prepare the market for premium pricing (best example is the Harrier's recent pricing "scoop").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Another possible ploy : Leak a pricing which is inflated and then launch the car at the realistic price so that buyers are relived and happy
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:16   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

12-14 L ex-showroom for base variant is what my prediction
This is what I posted immidiately after unveiling in February this year. I still think they are going to price base model in this range.

12.99 L ex-showroom for base variant going to be good, 12.49 L very good, and any paisa under 12 L going to be excellent.
Latheesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:54   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hear from a fairly reliable source that the entire "pricing leak" was a big sham. It was a play by Tata & the media. The Harrier is actually going to be priced lower than that.
Exactly what my reliable source had said earlier. As per him, the prices will be undercutting the base 1.6 Diesel Manual Creta for Harrier's base model. Although top-end will be priced higher. The prices released were to gauge market perception. Now suppose it's released at 11 or 12L, the booking numbers might increase as people are expecting it at 14-19L ex-showroom (16-21L OTR), something like XUV.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:59   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

I myself feel the best way to launch a car is at the least price range that you can afford and let it create it's name in the market. You can then go about gradually increasing it until you reach your sweet spot or the market responds negatively. Reach that equilibrium and by now the car would have established itself in the market. The price hikes also create a notion that the car is selling well and the company is confident in its product. At the same time early buyers feel good that they got the car at VFM pricing and also the resale value appreciates by that same margin. This is somewhat similar to the Nexon or Tiago launch where the initial prices were very competitive and were revised later after seeing the market's response.

The other approach of pricing it at a premium and then start giving discounts, cut down on features and launch a cheaper variant et al is the foolish approach IMHO. So many cars have fallen prey to this and suffered into oblivion.
drmohitg is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:01   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
I hear from a fairly reliable source that the entire "pricing leak" was a big sham. It was a play by Tata & the media. The Harrier is actually going to be priced lower than that. Consider that the Creta (which is by itself overpriced) top-end retails at 18.4 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. A Tata product about 3 lakhs higher? Destined to sink.

Thanks. Assuming that the Harrier will get the full treatment on features along with a 4*4 and an automatic for the top trim, wouldn't 21 lakhs OTR Bangalore be the target price ?

Creta sells for around 19 lakhs OTR Bangalore for the top spec diesel manual. If it is any lower, I will buy the Harrier and replace my Maruti 800 with the Tiago JTP just for the kick of it.:

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 3rd November 2018 at 11:04.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:43   #1318
Senior - BHPian

In terms of looks, the Harrier has the size and the street presence of a SUV that is clearly above the competition. But, I hate how busy the front looks, it's overdone and trying too hard to grab attention which was not needed at all given the positives of the vehicle.

About the prospects, I think pricing is obviously going to be the key. I don't think there is a huge market for >20 lakhs in the 5-seater midsize SUV segment. The Jeep Compass created lot of excitement during launch but the sales are slowly but surely fading. I think the sweet spot is in the 12-18 lakh range and Tata should have some decently specced models within that range.
Another challenge will be the brand perception, reliability and A.S.S. Many people, including me, are apprehensive about spending a ton of money on a brand like Tata for the above factors. I think Tata Motors has been improving a lot recently but I don't think they are at par with the best in the industry and changing that perception is a long and time-consuming process. I will be keeping a close watch on the Harrier and if I see positive reports from owners, then this vehicle will be in consideration for my next upgrade in 2020 along with SKoda Vision X, VW T-cross, Kia SP and possibly Honda HRV.

Last edited by adimicra : 3rd November 2018 at 12:47.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:48   #1319
BHPian

My hunch is, TATA will disrupt the market and this will undercut Hexa XE model with bare bones Harrier model which can be customizable.

I believe 5 seater customizable Harrier with the following:

- Halogen headlights
- 16 inch steel wheels
- 6 speed Manual
- Manual AC
- Normal fabric seats
- 4 speaker music system
- Front power windows

To start at 11.99 L.

You then start adding options which will come in packages:

- Luxury Package
- Sports Package
- Technology Trend Package

There will be also standard models for the users who don't want to complicate things.

Wishful thinking

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 3rd November 2018 at 12:56.
pk_del is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 13:10   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Tata Harrier Seven-Seater Variant Spotted Testing In Bangalore

The spotted seven-seater variant of the Tata Harrier features an extended rear end with a slightly different design for the D-pillar. The SUV is equipped with a temporary tail light cluster and it looks like a prototype model. The rear end of the Harrier also gets roof-mounted spoiler with high stop lamp and shark-fin antenna.

Read more at: https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...re-026784.html

src
Is there hope to see the 7 seater anytime soon? The mule does not look very different from Harrier mules.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-xtataharrier7seaterspypics11541166399.jpg.pagespeed.ic.lnzsmekv1t.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-xtataharrier7seaterspypics21541166405.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eob139sfa.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-xtataharrier7seaterspypics31541166411.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eom4tue8eq.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-xtataharrier7seaterspypics41541166419.jpg.pagespeed.ic.07uzgcrgle.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2018 at 14:03. Reason: Typo.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks