Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 15:06   #436
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Correct, but bigger Magnite base variant price even after the increase is 5.5L only, Kiger is 5.45L, What TATA do now?
Autocar seems to agree with you

Quote:
When launched, expect prices for the micro SUV to start under the Rs 5 lakh mark
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 12:43   #437
BANNED

What is this competing with? Is it a rival for cars like Ecosports and XUV300? I hope they offer a better boot space in this one.

I am sure it would be loaded with features and pretty sure that this will be launched with a electric powertrain as well. I am sure that the Nexon EV would have provided the much needed motivation to Tata.
Old 31st May 2021, 13:20   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jain1990 View Post
What is this competing with? Is it a rival for cars like Ecosports and XUV300? I hope they offer a better boot space in this one.
Competes directly with cars like Ignis, Magnite/kiger twins. Slots just above Kwid's top end.
Old 31st May 2021, 13:23   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jain1990 View Post
This is probably going to play in the MS Swift class but with the added practicality and "look" of a psuedo-SUV.
It can pull a lot of buyers from the Hatchback segment who want to get in on the (Psuedo)SUV craze and brag about their latest TATA SUV while their friend are rolling about in SWIFTS or Grand i10s.
The added ground clearance and extra height might make it a good purchase for rural areas too.
ZenMaster is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 13:57   #440
BHPian

I was under the impression that this will compete with the Venue/ Sonnet. Clearly there is a demand for more options in that range. A lot will depend on features if it needs to take the fight to the Koreans. It's got the looks covered.
Old 31st May 2021, 17:16   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Interesting catch! I was hoping Altroz EV would hit streets, seems like Tata has different plans.
I remember the ex-design boss Bose mentioning in an interview that packaging the battery pack in Altroz EV was a challenge. They had to reduce ground clearance and raise the rear seats in the concept car. It was not revealed if that concept had same battery capacity as Nexon EV. I suspect Altroz EV will only be feasible with a smaller battery pack than Nexon, which might drop its real world range below 200 Km while still having a less than ideal rear seat.

Packaging the battery in HBX should be more straight forward due to its higher ground clearance and higher rear seat. Being lighter than both Nexon and Altroz, it should be more efficient than both. Starting price too could work out much cheaper than Nexon EV with perhaps multiple battery pack options on offer.
AntPaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 03:56   #442
BHPian

I know as most of us here that the price range is going to sit anywhere betweeb Altroz and Nexon. I just wish even if what we see is the base/near base variant, they had more beefy 'AT' type tyres like they showed in Autoexpo. The rea end could've been a log more sleeker than what is on offer...
Old 1st June 2021, 06:52   #443
BHPian

I find it a little amusing that nowadays we call the tallboy hatches as micro-SUV.

This one goes right against old Santro/WagonR which themselves are pretty SUV-ish in the road manners, or the lack of it. 1.2L WagonR is so fast that I call it baby Fortuner.

Looking at these cars, I feel that SUV is no longer a fashion or trend. It's a fetish, a perversion.

p. s. - post made in a lighter vein.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 08:46   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Tiago launch price was 3.2L for the base, I did not know it costs 5L now (that is ~ 56% increase in 5 years).
We also need to consider that, the base variant then was called XB. It did not have AC, ABS or EBD. Taking account of these(and the other misses of XB), the price increase, although present, is not steep IMO.

I think, HBX will be priced equivalent to tigor, for the NA petrol.

Last edited by Benoit : 1st June 2021 at 08:49.
Benoit is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 09:37   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I find it a little amusing that nowadays we call the tallboy hatches as micro-SUV
SUV is more of a generic term just like CAR. From a Tata Nano to a Lamborghini Urus, everything is classified as a CAR. SUV obviously is a sub-set in the CAR category. In India, we have multiple iterations of an SUV. We have the "proper" SUVs, compact, sub-compact, mini and micro SUVs. Some day we might even have a "nano" SUV, who knows! The terms Pseudo SUV and Crossover are also widely used. With no strict definition, the term SUV is generally used to describe vehicles based on their body style, without attaching much significance to the vehicle's on-road/off-road capabilities. Attaching Wikipedia link for reference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

I don't see much wrong in people attaching Tata HBX with a micro SUV tag. Well, this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Emvi : 1st June 2021 at 09:38.
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:53   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I don't see much wrong in people attaching Tata HBX with a micro SUV tag. Well, this is just my personal opinion.
You aren't wrong sir and I respect your opinion. Sorry sir, the post wasn't to offend anyone, in case it did.

It's usually hard to explain sarcasm, although I did mention it in the post script, to avoid precisely the same kind of reply that I still got anyways.

Anyways, repeating that we have to come to 'Micro-SUVs' despite them offering no significant advantage over tallboys, not even the seating position. It is just the design fetish, isn't it? Jimny is what ought be a micro SUV, not these KUV, Kwid or Hornbill. I am also not strict with those definitions. Kiger, Magnites are okay with me. They offer something.

That's not to say Hornbill or even Kwid looks bad. Hell, given how it looks, I would buy one for wifey. But, it's a pretty small car, that's why I would be buying it. Not that it evokes some kind of macho feeling that I'll have after buying this 'SUV' over a normal hatch. That's what I was trying to convey.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 15:11   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find it a little amusing that nowadays we call the tallboy hatches as micro-SUV.

This one goes right against old Santro/WagonR which themselves are pretty SUV-ish in the road manners, or the lack of it. 1.2L WagonR is so fast that I call it baby Fortuner.
Its the LOOKS, PROPORTIONS and STANCE my Friend.

Is the Yamaha R15 a Track Bike? Or would you prefer to take it to Court just because its got a "puny" 150 cc/Single Cylinder engine?

Now does the Santro/Wagon R doesn't have the Wheels, Ground Clearance.. or in short, Proportions or Stance of a SUV?

And "No", the S presso doesn't have SUV proportions according to me.

Last edited by payeng : 4th June 2021 at 15:18.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 21:12   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Its the LOOKS, PROPORTIONS and STANCE my Friend.

Is the Yamaha R15 a Track Bike?

And "No", the S presso doesn't have SUV proportions according to me.
I don't see any SUV-ish stance or proportions. If you see, I don't have a problem. I just presented my view. Let's agree to disagree.

Jimny has an SUV stance with a similar size but these?

I don't see any SIGNIFICANT advantage over tallboys in any other area.
  • Despite the ground clearance, the view behind the wheels is similar.
  • With such a short wheelbase, none of them have any issues on the bad roads/bumps.

What's else? Pretty looking car but SUV?

R-15 is different in so many ways. This comparison is simply incorrect here. It isn't like that it just looks sporty and has fairing but rides like a 150 cc commuter.

These cars, while pretending to look something different but drive like a tallboy or at times worse (for ex: Kwid with 70 BHP per ton).

S-Presso, I don't think you are implying that I called it an SUV anywhere. Looks downright ugly from the outside but heard nice words from people who have driven it.
Old 6th June 2021, 07:11   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
Packaging the battery in HBX should be more straight forward due to its higher ground clearance and higher rear seat. Being lighter than both Nexon and Altroz, it should be more efficient than both. Starting price too could work out much cheaper than Nexon EV with perhaps multiple battery pack options on offer.
If Tata motors can get the electric version of the HBX ready by 2022, which can offer a range similar to that of Nexon, and price it around 10 lakhs, it will certainly taste success. A good quality budget EV is the need of the hour. The extra amount of power and torque and the smoother transmission of BEVs plus the ultra low running costs should attract buyers - especially if the car is going to be mainly used for city driving.

Those looking for a second car within a budget of 10 lakhs can blindly go for the HBX EV since the "range anxiety" can be overcome by using their existing ICE car when hitting the motorway.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th June 2021 at 07:17. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 6th June 2021, 21:44   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see any SUV-ish stance or proportions. If you see, I don't have a problem. I just presented my view. Let's agree to disagree.
Blame it on the people who prefer these so so called "pseudo SUV'S".

Don't forget to include the CAR DESIGNERS as well.

Last edited by payeng : 6th June 2021 at 21:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks