Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:35   #556
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Knowing TATA, will they give the Punch enough punch to punch the competition away?

If they put 1.5 diesel Nexon mill here, it will be a cracker.
HBX is a petrol only product. Company CTO already confirmed the same at Geneva 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
PUNCH is also the name of the Belgian company that will be supplying Tata's upcoming 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission for its small car line up. TML is rumoured to use Punch Powertrain's DT-1 wet clutch unit.

Is the name a clue as to what gearbox the new launch will come with?!
From what I've heard the car will be offered with a 5-speed manual and AMT. Hope it gets launched with a proper automatic but that's very unlikely.

I love the design but "Punch"? After names like Harrier, Safari, Sierra all they could think of was "Punch". They were calling it a baby Rhino at the Auto Expo and now they name it "Punch". I hope some improvements have been done in the powertrain. Altroz 1.2L petrol is the weakest in it's class. Let's see how it performs here.

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 23rd August 2021 at 17:39.
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:35   #557
BHPian

Nissan has Kicks, Tata has Punch.

Overall I'm okay with the name, keeping in mind their target audience, it can pull off itself. Atleast to mean something than any jibber jabber (taigun, creta, seltos, bolero, etc.)

The product looks promising and can be a good market fit. Only if Tata can provide niggle free experience. People booking Tiago or Punch will be first time buyers, so if they are hooked to the Tata experience, they have their future Harrier and Safari customers in there. One bad experience and their next car will be anything but a Tata.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:36   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Punch?! Seriously??!!

Thanks. I will have some of that wonderful stuff the guys at Tata nomenclature department are smoking these days. Should pack a punch!

The car definitely looks much better proportioned than some of it's in-segment competitors. But the front is now feeling repetitive. Most cars from the Kwid to the Harrier are now punching in with the same front. And the lower grille doesn't look sturdy - recipe for disaster in case of a severe front punch?

I think the half-crescent DRLs from the first-gen Nexon, around the headlamps, could have been punched in the front and made it look much better. It would have made the car stand differently than the volume crowd it will be punching in.

Let's see how the paying public warms up to the Punch in the days to come.

All pun(ches) intended!
RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:39   #559
BHPian

We have Kicks, and now we have Punch. Soon we will have the other combat attacks. Jokes apart, like a few others mentioned earlier, Hornbill was definitely better. Punch seems a little cartoonish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
If they put 1.5 diesel Nexon mill here, it will be a cracker.
If they indeed bring the diesel option, it would be in the Altroz state of tune. Else, they would lose most of the nexon diesel sales. Also, they would want to make the Punch cheaper so as to differentiate it from the Nexon.
Benoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:53   #560
Senior - BHPian

Let's hope it packs a punch to launch TaMo's sales in that segment.

I feel it looks good, a please all, offend none design from the front at least. Looks a bit like a scaled down Brezza and definitely far better than the current incumbent - the S-Presso.

However as the S-Presso sales has shown - looks are only part of the story. Hope that TaMo has taken the feedback and experience of the Harrier/Safari. Reliability and service will not be taken lightly in this segment and will punch a hole in the sales in double quick time.

First look is good, definitely.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:24   #561
BHPian

Rather than the name, what I hated more was the video. Just a bunch of Stock videos randomly stuck together while random words (which we usually try fill our social media profile and resumes with) thrown around. Tata seems to be cheaping out on their launches these days.

And like a other members mentioned the name "Punch" ironically lacks some Punch. But its way better than "Altroz" IMHO.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:30   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
HBX is a petrol only product. Company CTO already confirmed the same at Geneva 2019.
No hope for ziptron on this? Would be another EV success story if they can electrify this one. I am not a fan of their 1.2 petrol especially the non-turbo version.
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:34   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
No hope for ziptron on this? Would be another EV success story if they can electrify this one. I am not a fan of their 1.2 petrol especially the non-turbo version.
My bad, didn't mention that I was talking about the ICE cars only. But yes, they did mention an electric HBX in development at the Auto Expo 2020.
udaikalra01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:09   #564
BHPian

Wow !!! The front looks really nice and neat for this car. Not too impressed with the rear though. Tail lamps could have been slightly bigger. It is now going to look dull at the rear.

One doubt i have is that hope those big wheel wells and the gap between tyres and wheels doesnt lead to high road noise in the cabin when being driven at high speeds.

Looking at all the comments above about the name, i would just say "What's in a name?" Let the car work its magic !!!
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:11   #565
BHPian

Kicks, Punch...what next, Thwack? Pummel? Blow?

Nomenclature aside, that front grille is becoming repetitive and boring IMHO. Tata had a good chance of introducing a new design language, especially considering the packed segment it's entering.

P.s. Tatas could have offered this with an EV setup. Would be a market-breaker if priced in the 5-8 lakh bracket.
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:23   #566
BHPian

Smart Move by TATA
Tata is doing well in 3.9-4M, 4.5M, 4.7M segments, this will strengthen TATA in 3.6-3.7M

Buying behaviour is changing fast for this segment of users, earlier in my childhood days car was just a carrier with in city, we never used to do 100Km+ trips

Today cars are actually becoming commuters, families are driving long distances outside city. Hence, 2 factors become prominent 1) Ground Clearance 2) Boot Space (utility)

I think HBX will add these two offering over Tiago which was already a good product.
TATA need to position this smartly to avoid cannibalisation of Tiago/Tigor
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:57   #567
BHPian

After all the wait over HBX or Hornbill, Tata gives us a Punch. Nothing really wrong with the name, but after all the recent classy names from Tata, we were awaiting a similar nomenclature. Im sure the name Punch is gonna resonate well with the Tier 2 & 3 city crowds especialy the younger generation. Those larger wheel wells, is it a way Tata is saying, come on bring up your button tyres(reference: auto expo concept model), customise it.
By the way this car looks good but the front facia has taken the 'family look' thing to another absurd level. Come on Tata why do you want the facia of your passenger car to look like a transport vehicle 'the facelift Winger' or rather the other way round.
Here is a comparison pic for reference.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-img_20210823_193612.jpg
Anyways this product will surely surpass Tiagos numbers if priced rightly due to the SUV(or rather pseudo SUV) trend.
ArTigor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:58   #568
BHPian

The car looks great, but Tata Motors could have provided the skid plates to make the car look even better.

About the name:

'Tata Punch'. Though it does not sound great like the names of other Tata cars, it is definitely better than one of the predicted names 'Tata Timero'.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:19   #569
Senior - BHPian

The production-spec Tata Punch doesn’t stray too far from the HBX concept. Here’s a closer look at the two side-by-side.

The front skid plate should have been made into production model.

Name:  SmartSelect_20210823201707_Twitter.gif
Views: 1720
Size:  4.27 MB

Source : Autocar India

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd August 2021 at 20:49.
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:54   #570
BHPian

The fact that the production version is mostly similar to the concept version, is definitely a good thing. It really has a potential to give a solid punch to its competitors if priced aggressively.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks