Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 06:50   #616
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Can team bhp carry out a poll on whether people want to change the name or rename?

Just punch a poll and we should see if it really punches customer sentiment.
pogo0120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 07:54   #617
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I don't like the name either, but we need to get over it. The fact is, these kind of names work in the mainstream segments. Proof? Well:

Dzire. We now accept it only because its ingrained in our head, but it's such a terribly stupid name for a car. Desire is bad enough, Dzire is even worse. Like some cheap imitation jewellery.

Creta. Remember all the ex-creta jokes when it was first announced? Does anyone even bother anymore? In fact, people brag about owning a Creta today.

City. Really? What next? Honda Country?

Jazz! Need I say anymore. LOL. Rock, Hip-Hop...

Venue? What next? Hyundai Destination? Kia Location?

Laura. I don't even need to emphasize on this (look up all the jokes in the 2007 thread).

Duster, Rapid, Superb are other names I found stupid when I'd first heard them. Who the hell names a luxury car "Superb"? Up next = Skoda Awesome? Skoda Brilliant?

Carnival = the only van I love, but seriously, "Carnival"???? How would a car named "Circus" sound?

Point is, eventually, the name doesn't matter and all of us get used to it (like we have accepted the Dzire & City). What's most important is the car itself, so let's hope Tata has gotten that right. If Tata rolls out a solid product, "Punch" will be respected in the same way some of the above-listed funny names are.

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2021 at 10:17.
GTO is offline   (168) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 07:57   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, I don't like the name either, but we need to get over it. The fact is, these kind of names work in the mainstream segments. Proof?

Quote:
What's most important is the car itself, so let's hope Tata has gotten that right.
I like the name though. And I really hope Tata proves itself wrong by giving a niggle free car from day 1.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 09:27   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I don't like the name either, but we need to get over it. The fact is, these kind of names work in the mainstream segments. Proof? Well:

GTO, you opened a Pandora’s box here! Why don’t we have a Weird Names thread and take all the names bashing there so that these launch threads can be clean
octane_100 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:25   #620
Senior - BHPian

Social media is abuzz with calling the Punch as the 4.99 lakh SUV.

The Tiago starts at 4.99 lakhs.

The Tiago NRG (though a fully loaded variant) starts at 6.57 lakhs.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that the Punch should be placed above the NRG.

Tiago NRG < Punch < Nexon < Harrier < Safari.

Don't know what's Tata's game plan is.

If they do price the Punch below NRG, who is going to buy the later?
ashutoshb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:30   #621
BHPian

Quote:

Point is, eventually, the name doesn't matter and all of us get used to it (like we have accepted the Dzire & City). What's most important is the car itself, so let's hope Tata has gotten that right. If Tata rolls out a solid product, "Punch" will be respected in the same way some of the above-listed funny names are.
I can't agree with you more. But, my observation says that, however weird are all the names that you have mentioned, the NOUNS and ADJECTIVES tend to sound a wee bit better than the commonly used VERBS. There are exceptions as always. Dzire is one such exception IMO. It is no doubt silly, but with the way it is spelt the name is probably a bit more acceptable.

As you say, if Tata rolls out a solid car and manage to land the right PUNCHES, nothing better.

Last edited by Emvi : 25th August 2021 at 10:45. Reason: Better wording, line added
Old 25th August 2021, 10:33   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Social media is abuzz with calling the Punch as the 4.99 lakh SUV.

The Tiago starts at 4.99 lakhs.

The Tiago NRG (though a fully loaded variant) starts at 6.57 lakhs.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that the Punch should be placed above the NRG.

Don't know what's Tata's game plan is.

NRG is based on top spec Tiago. Altroz starts at Rs 5.82L. Punch is smaller than Altroz by more than 15cm. It should be priced starting from Rs 5.5 to 6L.
udaikalra01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 12:56   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
GTO, you opened a Pandora’s box here! Why don’t we have a Weird Names thread and take all the names bashing there so that these launch threads can be clean
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-names-11.html (Funny/Intermixed car names)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ny-reason.html (Car names - end in vowels now, used to end in consonants. Any reason?)
Eddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:13   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

The higher variants can definitely be priced above Tiago NRG. But base variants will be priced below it. It doesn't make sense to have base variant starting above 6.57 lakhs.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:13   #625
BHPian

The car looks good, though the front reminds me of the Renault Kiger. In its segment, Ignis is a clear winner for its understated looks. I never thought I'd type that sentence. But such is life
sramanat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:19   #626
BANNED

They're the only brand with 2 sub-4m SUVs now with considerable product differentiation. I'm sure Tata motors have tested the name before making it official for a critical product like this. Hornbill would've been a nightmare too. Well, we can pronounce it right but villagers may have problems figuring out how to say it right.

Punch is a simple, 2 syllable word. Villagers already have been pronouncing 'sarpanch' alright for decades if not centuries.

Just get the price, feature distribution, and marketing right and in a year or two, we won't even remember the jokes we're making today. The design is looking good. I'd just like to see it at Tiago price instead of Altroz price although I understand it'll be difficult with these metal prices.
Creating way more demand than they can handle can also create problems if they miss their estimates. I hope they can do some cost-cutting from the scrapping plants they're planning to set up.

The only problem I have is with the grille. It needs a finer mesh. I shouldn't see the heat-exchanger so clearly. And the other problem is the cutout for the horn in the mustache.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 25th August 2021 at 16:21.
MaheshY1 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:26   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I don't like the name either, but we need to get over it. The fact is, these kind of names work in the mainstream segments.
I like the name and am waiting for it eagerly. It is quite punchier - having an immediate impact; forceful. Perhaps it may have escaped my notice in any other case earlier, so I was totally amazed by the tirade against the name in our forum. This sort of name, as rightly pointed out, does work.
Thanks for putting things in the right perspective and ( hopefully) putting the tirade to rest. It was almost looking like the name was more important than the product itself.
amit162 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:06   #628
BHPian

PUNCH or HBX or Hornbill, does that even matter? What's there in the naming? Off-late we see the naming of a car being discussed to such length with no value addition at the end of the day.

The car looks good, promising and has an youthful appeal to it. It has a lot of scope for cool tasteful modifications. Tata is almost there for a successful product. Just that they need to launch it niggle free. Given the recently launched Safari which has been in the market for 2 years as Harrier had so many niggles, it would be a nice move if they show some sincerity and launch this without any niggles.

The company needs to invest more on
- testing and QC of their products
- sales training, customer relationship and dealership management
- stricter service training and evaluation

It's not a long shot for a company that has been in the market for long. It just needs strong and focused leadership that aspires to be the best.
Jude300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:38   #629
BHPian

The car looks good but Punch??!!! HBX sounds more exciting and has a punch to it. This is a car that can bring volumes to the Tata dealers. Hoping they will spruce up the dealers and improve the after sales service which will bring more converts to the brand.

Punch! lacks punch and kind of feels lame. Remember Kicks which got kicked out of the scene.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:41   #630
Senior - BHPian

I don't think a name matters much in a vehicle's success. Conversely, a name may become fashionable after a vehicle's success.

Viewed from front, the Punch looks good. If the rear matches the front, then it will be a good looker.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks